The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Collards,Kale, and/or Turnip Greens

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5056
Collards,Kale, and/or Turnip Greens Sat, 11/16/13 6:32 AM (permalink)
How do you cook 'em?

Pancho

• Total Posts: 915
    Re:Collards,Kale, and/or Turnip Greens Sat, 11/16/13 8:01 AM (permalink)
    My specialty if I may be so bold....ALWAYS get fresh bunches and rinse thoroughly, although I rarely find any sand or dirt in mine from the grocery. I sometimes combine collards and turnips, but my favorite is just plain collards. Another thing, they really cook "down", so buy at least two bunches. I then saute one large chopped Vidalia in a little butter, a little hot sauce, and a ltttle sugar in a large stock pot and add two large SMOKED pork hocks. Then stuff all the greens into the pot and add about one cup chicken stock. Bring to a boil and cut to a low simmer (covered) for two hours stirring occasionally. Prior to serving pull out the hocks and remove as much meat as possible. Add back to greens. Serve with some pepper sauce and fresh hot cornbread to absorb the pot liquor. Great eating....I think I'll make a bunch of collards today.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
      Re:Collards,Kale, and/or Turnip Greens Sat, 11/16/13 8:07 AM (permalink)
      Pretty much how my southern father in law makes them, Pancho. Yum!

Pancho

Re:Collards,Kale, and/or Turnip Greens Sat, 11/16/13 8:11 AM (permalink)
        ann peeples

Pretty much how my southern father in law makes them, Pancho. Yum!
        Yeah, I've lived all over the South and a wonderful woman in Greenville, Mississippi made them this way. Also, collards are supposedly better after they have been nipped by the first frost.

kevincad

• Total Posts: 399
          Re:Collards,Kale, and/or Turnip Greens Sat, 11/16/13 3:57 PM (permalink)
          Fry some onion, add to the pot with the collards and a few smoked ham hocks, and a little sugar. A staple recipe in Georgia!

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5056
            Re:Collards,Kale, and/or Turnip Greens Sat, 11/16/13 5:04 PM (permalink)
            Pancho

My specialty if I may be so bold....ALWAYS get fresh bunches and rinse thoroughly, although I rarely find any sand or dirt in mine from the grocery. I sometimes combine collards and turnips, but my favorite is just plain collards. Another thing, they really cook "down", so buy at least two bunches. I then saute one large chopped Vidalia in a little butter, a little hot sauce, and a ltttle sugar in a large stock pot and add two large SMOKED pork hocks. Then stuff all the greens into the pot and add about one cup chicken stock. Bring to a boil and cut to a low simmer (covered) for two hours stirring occasionally. Prior to serving pull out the hocks and remove as much meat as possible. Add back to greens. Serve with some pepper sauce and fresh hot cornbread to absorb the pot liquor. Great eating....I think I'll make a bunch of collards today.

This is pretty much how I make my cornbread, except I use buttermilk instead of milk and bacon grease instead of oil.  I also use two eggs and add a stick of melted butter to the batter.
            http://www.deltablues.net/cbread.html

Pancho

Re:Collards,Kale, and/or Turnip Greens Sat, 11/16/13 6:00 PM (permalink)
              Adjudicator

Pancho

This is pretty much how I make my cornbread, except I use buttermilk instead of milk and bacon grease instead of oil.  I also use two eggs and add a stick of melted butter to the batter.
              http://www.deltablues.net/cbread.html
              Same here except I use lard instead of bacon drippings and cut back on the milk a scosh, add one small can of creamed corn, and a squirt of honey. Makes it very moist and better flavor.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                • No New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                • Locked w/ New Messages
                • Locked w/o New Messages
                • Read Message
                • Post New Thread
                • Reply to message
                • Post New Poll
                • Submit Vote
                • Post reward post
                • Delete my own posts
                • Delete my own threads
                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com