Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

High School Project - Concept Meat Slicer

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 35
SamDurham3

• Total Posts: 10
High School Project - Concept Meat Slicer Mon, 12/2/13 8:37 AM (permalink)
I am currrently working on a project for my engineering class at ocean city high school. My idea is to design a deli meat/cheese, slicer/dispenser. It will either simply just dispense the meats and cheeses or possibly slice them on command. What do you guys think? Any suggestions or criticism would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3705
    Re:High School Project - Concept Meat Slicer Mon, 12/2/13 9:01 AM (permalink)
    Issue #1: refrigeration
    Obviously, your machines could not be just room temperature; otherwise you would have an e-coli dispenser.

Issue #2: varieties
    Even the local grocery-deli has, e.g., 10 types of ham (Country Club, Virginia, Honey, Black Forest, Maple, ..., etc.).  Multiply that by brand names (Hormel, Boar's Head, Farmer's, Sara Lee, ... , etc.) and you would need 60 or so dispensers just for the hams! 

Then, the pastrami, sorned beef, Cajun turkey, roast beef, ..., etc. 

Then the cheeses. 

You'd need 100's of dispensers just to cover the combinations and permutations of what is available at the typical store.

That shoud get you started.

Welcome to Roadfood!!!

FriedClamFanatic

• Total Posts: 1496
      Re:High School Project - Concept Meat Slicer Mon, 12/2/13 3:06 PM (permalink)
      for the above reasons.........might be better as sandwich slicer......but even there, you have differing temps that food s/b kept at if not in the refrigerated case

Oh.and you must be one kewl person to think up this project...I wish you luck. Beats the kids that are growing mold for the first time by several miles!
      <message edited by FriedClamFanatic on Mon, 12/2/13 3:08 PM>

kevincad

• Total Posts: 399
        Re:High School Project - Concept Meat Slicer Mon, 12/2/13 3:14 PM (permalink)
        SamDurham3

I am currrently working on a project for my engineering class at ocean city high school. My idea is to design a deli meat/cheese, slicer/dispenser. It will either simply just dispense the meats and cheeses or possibly slice them on command. What do you guys think? Any suggestions or criticism would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

Don't let naysayers get you down! As an engineer myself, I know the value of creative thought, keep it up. Yes, it is a complex system to analyse, but then again, as engineers we gladly take on that task!

MetroplexJim

Re:High School Project - Concept Meat Slicer Mon, 12/2/13 3:25 PM (permalink)
          kevincad

SamDurham3

Don't let naysayers get you down! As an engineer myself, I know the value of creative thought, keep it up. Yes, it is a complex system to analyse, but then again, as engineers we gladly take on that task!

Please don't consider us to be 'naysayers'.  You asked an honest question and i gave you an honest answer.  No part of that answer was "stop developing the concept".

The fact is that the USA has led the world in innovation since 1880 or so.  And, over time, this lead has widened at an accelerating pace as we still remain a free society in which the innovative may still benefit greatly from the fruit of their thought and labor.  Liberty is the goose that lays the "Golden Eggs".  Keep it up.  You are the future.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9552
            Re:High School Project - Concept Meat Slicer Tue, 12/3/13 1:34 AM (permalink)
            Based on the original post, I'm not sure if he is a student or the teacher???????
            Which is it Sam??

MetroplexJim

Re:High School Project - Concept Meat Slicer Tue, 12/3/13 2:25 PM (permalink)
              Foodbme

Based on the original post, I'm not sure if he is a student or the teacher???????
              Which is it Sam??

Definitely a student.
              If I'm wrong about that, then Scottsdale is verdant and bears use commodes & CharminTM.

bartl

• Total Posts: 1208
                Re:High School Project - Concept Meat Slicer Wed, 12/4/13 8:12 AM (permalink)
                SamDurham3

One hint, having read a bunch of the other replies. Take the reasons given for not being able to do it as problems that need to be overcome, or worked around.

Now, if the problem is to design rather than build, you might consider following the model of the new sophisticated vending machines; consider about 9 kinds of meat and three kinds of cheese, in a 3x4 pattern, and robot arms that either bring the slicer to the meat or the meat to the slicer. This way, you can have an "auto-deli". Would probably do great in Japan.

Bart

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9552
                  Re:High School Project - Concept Meat Slicer Wed, 12/4/13 9:22 AM (permalink)
                  MetroplexJim

Foodbme

Which is it Sam??

Definitely a student.
                  If I'm wrong about that, then Scottsdale is verdant and bears use commodes & CharminTM.

What the H*** you been Drinkin'???????

MetroplexJim

Re:High School Project - Concept Meat Slicer Wed, 12/4/13 9:58 AM (permalink)
                    Foodbme

MetroplexJim

Foodbme

Which is it Sam??

Definitely a student.

What the H*** you been Drinkin'???????

Like you on most topics, I'm a "Vice-Mayor of Realville". 
                    Just telling it like it is.

SamDurham3

Re:High School Project - Concept Meat Slicer Wed, 12/4/13 10:09 AM (permalink)
                      I appreciate the feedback! Yes the goal is to have an adustable temperature as well as make it large enough and adjustable so that it could fit most size hams turkey etc... and maybe have a more streamlined version for the cheeses.

SamDurham3

Re:High School Project - Concept Meat Slicer Wed, 12/4/13 10:12 AM (permalink)
                        Yes its designed around the basis of slicing fresh and dispensing the meats/cheeses on demand for the sandwiches as the orders come in.

SamDurham3

Re:High School Project - Concept Meat Slicer Wed, 12/4/13 10:15 AM (permalink)
                          The naysayers are my motivation! they also help me improve on my idea. thanks for the response :)

SamDurham3

Re:High School Project - Concept Meat Slicer Wed, 12/4/13 10:18 AM (permalink)
                            My goal is to both design and have a prototype built by the end of the school year in june. It is a full year course on designing and developing a product. And that is a very interesting idea I will look into those vending machines for some inspiration! thanks!

SamDurham3

Re:High School Project - Concept Meat Slicer Wed, 12/4/13 10:19 AM (permalink)
                              I'm a senior in high school

FriedClamFanatic

• Total Posts: 1496
                                Re:High School Project - Concept Meat Slicer Wed, 12/4/13 11:08 AM (permalink)
                                A critical factor you need to also consider is sanitation and cleaning....especially since different items will be used up at different rates.  You can't have the machine idling for a 1/2 hour while the cheese slicer gets cleaned

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17826
                                  Re:High School Project - Concept Meat Slicer Wed, 12/4/13 11:11 AM (permalink)
                                  Sam, you have a great idea, and I'm betting you'll do well.

ChiTownDiner

Re:High School Project - Concept Meat Slicer Wed, 12/4/13 12:44 PM (permalink)
                                    Sam - Welcome to Roadfood!  Remember, choosing the path less taken means a lot of discovery, satisfaction and potential reward.  Glad to see this kind of can do attitude.  Draw strength and a critical eye from the naysayers and best of luck!  Most delis seem to have 5-10 big sellers and that may be the area to concentrate on.  Fewer machines/slicers means less investment and space. 

MetroplexJim

Re:High School Project - Concept Meat Slicer Wed, 12/4/13 1:19 PM (permalink)
                                      SamDurham3

And I - a semi-retired businessman, investor, and entrepreneur - teach AP economics, business, finance, and marketing. 

Indeed, the future lies in the imaginations of my students. 

Well done; keep it up, kid!

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3572
                                        Re:High School Project - Concept Meat Slicer Wed, 12/4/13 1:25 PM (permalink)
                                        SamDurham3, 
                                        I agree with ChiTownDiner. Maybe it's best to make it for the best 10 items. Anything that's ordered say, less than 1 per 2 hours or so doesn't need the machine. Good luck.

And remember the famous song (before your time, of course):
                                        "My future's so bright, I gotta wear shades" 
                                        <message edited by EdSails on Wed, 12/4/13 1:26 PM>

kevincad

• Total Posts: 399
                                          Re:High School Project - Concept Meat Slicer Wed, 12/4/13 1:30 PM (permalink)
                                          MetroplexJim

SamDurham3

And I - a semi-retired businessman, investor, and entrepreneur - teach AP economics, business, finance, and marketing. 

Indeed, the future lies in the imaginations of my students. 

Well done; keep it up, kid!

As an engineer, I say you are correct, imagination is a good thing, indeed! 

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7745
                                            Re:High School Project - Concept Meat Slicer Wed, 12/4/13 1:44 PM (permalink)
                                            Sam...

Due to many factors....in the cold cut/sandwich business meat & cheese are and should ALWAYS be sliced on separate machines.

Even if a combo machine worked flawlessly from an engineering standpoint...it would never be utilized by a business due to various religious & cultural reasons . Especially any business in this area.
                                            <message edited by CCinNJ on Wed, 12/4/13 2:15 PM>

bartl

Re:High School Project - Concept Meat Slicer Wed, 12/4/13 4:28 PM (permalink)
                                              One other thing to consider, in terms of feasibility: health departments tend to be populated by petty people, who stick to the letter of regulations, and are deathly afraid of anything new. However..

Here's some inpsiration:
                                              http://singularityhub.com/2012/07/16/next-up-for-robotic-automation-serving-pizza-untouched-by-human-hands/
                                              http://www.delish.com/food-fun/unusual-vending-machine-foods#slide-8
                                              One that will make a lot of people here nervous: http://www.delish.com/food-fun/unusual-vending-machine-foods#slide-12

Bart

bartl

Re:High School Project - Concept Meat Slicer Wed, 12/4/13 4:33 PM (permalink)
                                                One more thing. I'm going to give you what I generally call the 3 basic principles for systems analysis:
                                                1) Do not try to solve a problem until you have clearly defined it.
                                                2) If a solution does not solve the problem, remember that you are solving the problem, NOT the solution.
                                                3) Do not break the rules unless you understand them, and the reason for breaking them.

As near as I can tell, you are trying to implement a solution without a problem. I suggest that before you go any further, you make sure that you have a clear statement of an existing problem that the meat slicer is intended to solve.

Bart

MetroplexJim

Re:High School Project - Concept Meat Slicer Thu, 12/5/13 8:25 AM (permalink)
                                                  bartl

One more thing. I'm going to give you what I generally call the 3 basic principles for systems analysis:
                                                  2) If a solution does not solve the problem, remember that you are solving the problem, NOT the solution.
                                                  3) Do not break the rules unless you understand them, and the reason for breaking them.

That brings back some fond memories of one of my favorite grad school professors:  Roland McKean, one of the fathers of Systems Analytics and a man of immense common-sense.

SamDurham3

Re:High School Project - Concept Meat Slicer Thu, 12/5/13 9:14 AM (permalink)
                                                    Thanks for the suggestion! that is something that I should definitely take into consideration that the produt should be desgined around the big sellers.

SamDurham3

Re:High School Project - Concept Meat Slicer Thu, 12/5/13 9:18 AM (permalink)
                                                      Yes this is very true. the slicer is designed to be able to hold most sizes/shapes of meats/cheeses but this does not necessarily mean that multiple meats/cheeses have to go into the machine. one may have a dedicated ham slicer or a dedicated turkey slicer so that no other meats or cheeses actually go in there even though it is possble.

SamDurham3

Re:High School Project - Concept Meat Slicer Thu, 12/5/13 9:24 AM (permalink)
                                                        bartl

As near as I can tell, you are trying to implement a solution without a problem. I suggest that before you go any further, you make sure that you have a clear statement of an existing problem that the meat slicer is intended to solve.

Bart

Bart you sound like my teacher! The problem is that in some cases restaraunts/delis slice there meats a couple days in advance. at least where i work they do. and after theyre sliced the slices are stacked on top of each other. When orders are flooding in it becomes very difficult to get all of the correct meats/cheeses out/seperated to make a sandwich or hoagie. My goal is to develop a slicer that would slice the meats on demand to maintain freshness and to also dispense the slices individually so one does not have to take the time and seperate each slice individually.

SamDurham3

• Location: Marmora, NJ
                                                          Re:High School Project - Concept Meat Slicer Thu, 12/5/13 9:29 AM (permalink)
                                                          Thank you for all the encouragement and criticism everybody! Im still learning how to use this forum so please excuse any mistakes i make If anyone is near Ocean City, New Jersey next summer stop by Browns Restaraunt and I'll make you a sandwich

hatteras04

• Total Posts: 1070
                                                            • Location: Columbus, OH
                                                            Re:High School Project - Concept Meat Slicer Thu, 12/5/13 10:07 AM (permalink)
                                                            I don't know about the sandwiches, but the donuts look fantastic!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 35

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com