Sous vide

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 115
Mosca
  • Total Posts : 2936
  • Reward points : 0
Sous vide - Tue, 12/3/13 11:21 AM
I've been reading about this for a couple years now, but the price has been too much for something that I would only use occasionally. But now there are immersion sous vide heaters from Anova and Sansaire for $199. So I poked around the 'net, and SousVide are offering their Supreme Demi water oven plus a $129 vacuum sealer (that I would have had to get anyhow) for $329, making the cost of the oven essentially the same as the immersion machine.

SousVide Demi Supreme

The Anova is a nice product that I would feel confident with as well.

Anova sous vide immersion heater

Just a heads up on some good deals, I haven't actually used any of them, but both products have received almost uniformly excellent to outstanding reviews.

pnwchef
  • Total Posts : 2251
Re:Sous vide - Tue, 12/3/13 1:39 PM

Mosca, thx for posting this, I have never looked for home Sous vide cookers. I figured they would out of site cost wise. I bough one, looking forward to testing it out...........Thxs again.............P.S. don't tell Chewingthefat, he's still trying to figure out how the toilet works.

MetroplexJim
  • Total Posts : 3707
Re:Sous vide - Tue, 12/3/13 2:47 PM
pnwchef

P.S. don't tell Chewingthefat, he's still trying to figure out how the toilet works.

I thought everyone knew to let the water trickle to warm in the bidet whilst one does their business in the woods. 

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6259
Re:Sous vide - Tue, 12/3/13 3:38 PM
How would he fit it into his smoker??  

lleechef
Re:Sous vide - Tue, 12/3/13 3:47 PM
pnwchef
Did you really just buy one?  I do not see the allure of cooking sous vide.  I've only used sous vide for processing a lot of fish, venison, etc. that I will freeze for several months and I don't want freezer burn. 

MetroplexJim
Re:Sous vide - Tue, 12/3/13 4:10 PM
Maybe a little off-topic unless the topic is kitchen gizmos:  this is the best countertop gizmo ever.

Rather than repeat myself, here is a thread I started on it: http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=676576&high=cuisinart+griddler

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17852
Re:Sous vide - Tue, 12/3/13 4:14 PM
But it's not the Deluxe version.

MetroplexJim
Re:Sous vide - Tue, 12/3/13 6:07 PM
Michael Hoffman

But it's not the Deluxe version.

Yeah.  Saw an ad for that.  I'll get that when the old one (ca. 2006) breaks.

Since wife doesn't do pork (but she does fry my bacon!) it a great thing to slap two pork chops onto.  Wonderfully done in three minutes with no mess.  Rub a little Char Crust on two Sam's Club rib-eyes: five minutes.  Can hardly tell the difference from the Weber.  In fact, the only reason we still do steaks on it is when we also grill corn-on-the-cob and peak-season asparagus.

Mosca
Re:Sous vide - Tue, 12/3/13 6:38 PM
lleechef

pnwchef
Did you really just buy one?  I do not see the allure of cooking sous vide.  I've only used sous vide for processing a lot of fish, venison, etc. that I will freeze for several months and I don't want freezer burn. 

I bought the oven rather than the immersion. I've read a lot of good things from people who have them. I asked Meathead Goldwyn from Amazing Ribs about sous vide and here is his reply: "Long story short: I removed the raw tenderloins from the turkey breasts and sous vided them Sunday with herbs, butter, smoked sundried tomatoes, to 140F then a quick pan sear. Absolutely without question the best turkey I have ever cooked. But I am not impressed with sv for red meats." I think he prefers to do his reverse sear for red meats; I have a follow up question regarding that, which he has not yet answered.

Anyhow, I've done fine without one for the last 59 years, so it is certainly nothing essential. When I've learned my way around the thing I'll report back my experience. It will be interesting.
<message edited by Mosca on Tue, 12/3/13 10:15 PM>

Mosca
Re:Sous vide - Tue, 12/3/13 6:42 PM
MetroplexJim

Maybe a little off-topic unless the topic is kitchen gizmos:  this is the best countertop gizmo ever.

Jim, I could see setting that son of a gun on the table next to the Big Green Egg and having a complete outdoor kitchen... I could retire, and cook all day!

lleechef
Re:Sous vide - Tue, 12/3/13 6:45 PM
MJ
I'm assuming that you're talking about a Cuisinart Griddler and not a sous vide machine.  I have a Bienville Panini press that does the same thing but I prefer to send MH out in the cold and dark and cook the steaks on the Weber.  

pnwchef
Re:Sous vide - Tue, 12/3/13 7:24 PM
lleechef

pnwchef

Lisa, I see it being a nice tool in my life. Everyone around here eats at different times, the hold temp on Sous Vide will work great. We also have every cut of meat on a cow and pig, next year lamb. We freeze  all of our meat in air tight packs, I can see that being nice also. I like the idea of rare beef end to end, then sear to finish, it should also do wonders for tougher cuts of meat. Fish is a no brainer, love that, a fresh piece of fish deserves a perfect cooking method.........

Mosca: I'll let you know how it works out.........thx for the info..........

Jim........Don't tell Tom about the bidet, he thinks it's fried dough with powdered sugar..

lleechef
Re:Sous vide - Tue, 12/3/13 7:57 PM
Bill
You have a valid point.  But as I have said over and over....I am OLD.  I believe in poaching, roasting, baking, sautéing, braising, etc.  I do not like the sous vide thing.  I am right now braising lamb shanks in my LeCreuset Dutch oven, with garlic, onions, plum tomatoes and red wine.  Sorry, but I don't think the dish would be the same sous vide.  In French, sous vide means "under empty". 

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4900
Re:Sous vide - Tue, 12/3/13 9:17 PM
Yeah, that's way I like to cook. Old fashioned braising is my forte'. Low and slow braising can't be beat!

Mosca
Re:Sous vide - Tue, 12/3/13 10:31 PM
I could see not wanting to use it, but not liking it? A new method doesn't make existing methods bad, or obsolete. It's just different. Food was pretty damn good before sous vide, and that didn't change.

But what the heck, it's all good. I would trust any recipe you would post, that's for sure! Your taking the time to share your opinion is worthwhile, please comment when I report back my experience.

(I think it is "under vacuum", referring to the sealed bags.)

MetroplexJim
Re:Sous vide - Wed, 12/4/13 8:55 AM
lleechef

MJ
I'm assuming that you're talking about a Cuisinart Griddler and not a sous vide machine.  I have a Bienville Panini press that does the same thing but I prefer to send MH out in the cold and dark and cook the steaks on the Weber.  

Ah, what is more wonderful than a hidden agenda?!

WarToad
  • Total Posts : 1792
Re:Sous vide - Wed, 12/4/13 11:31 AM
Sous vide is utilized heavily in the commercial restraunts and steakhouses. (ie: Vegas high volume places)  It allows you to bring several dozen, several hundred steaks up to whatever center temp you want them served at and just hold them until you're ready.  Pop open the bag, set them on a screaming hot grill and add marks, plate up.  Serving a banquet of 300 never got faster or easier.  And sous vid is spreading because you can put a rookie line cook at the grill and just tell them to just add marks and plate it, it's already at perfect center temp.  Rib roast?  Brown up the outside, bag it, Sous vid to perfect center serving temp.  It certainly has a place on the commercial side with consistancy of product and speed of service.

Mosca
Re:Sous vide - Sat, 12/7/13 12:31 PM
The oven came yesterday, and I spent the evening reading the instructions, along with some recipes both from the cookbook and around the internet.

Tonight I will make sous vide chicken breasts. I will take 2 boneless breasts, dust them with Simon and Garfunkel rub, sous vide them with a pat of butter for 2 hours, then sear and serve. I will do my best to document the process.

Sides will probably be some sort of potato, and something green.

lleechef
Re:Sous vide - Sat, 12/7/13 1:49 PM
This is what I don't get.  Sous vide chicken for 2 hours, then sear.  Why not eliminate the whole sous vide thing and just sear them, finish with a little chicken stock?  That chicken will be cooked in 30 minutes!  Or less, depending on the thickness.

Mosca
Re:Sous vide - Sat, 12/7/13 3:04 PM
Well, yeah! Not right for you. But if there wasn't something to recommend about sous vide, then it probably wouldn't have gotten any traction. But since it has, and I have the time and inclination to try it, I'll let you know if I find what that is. I'm actually not a very adventurous eater or cook. But if this will make what I do better, and easier (although not faster), then why not? You can cook rings around me, heck your nom de plume has "chef" in it! On the other hand, if you visited my home, I think you would enjoy what I served, regardless of what I used to prepare it.
It's okay with me if you aren't interested. Like I wrote before, I appreciate that you read and comment. A new tool doesn't make existing tools bad, or invalidate the results they give; it's just different.
<message edited by Mosca on Sat, 12/7/13 3:06 PM>

Uncle Groucho
  • Total Posts : 207
Re:Sous vide - Sat, 12/7/13 3:38 PM
Mosca , do you have to buy their brand of vacuum bags or can you use other brands like FoodSaver brand?
<message edited by Uncle Groucho on Sat, 12/7/13 3:39 PM>

Root-Beer Man
  • Total Posts : 332
Re:Sous vide - Sat, 12/7/13 4:22 PM
Can't wait to hear how it goes, Mosca! Sous vide is something I find very interesting and may have to give a try one of these years.

porkbeaks
  • Total Posts : 2202
Re:Sous vide - Sat, 12/7/13 5:36 PM
In another thread from October 2012 I wrote, "I recently have started using this method of cooking with a crock pot, temperature controller, and Ziploc freezer bags. Berkshire pork chops came out perfectly cooked; tender, juicy, and way better than anything I've ever had except at The Admiral in Asheville where they were also prepared sous vide. Chicken breasts on the menu for tonight and rib-eye steaks next week. I would be most interested in hearing from any of you with any experiences using this method or about any great dishes you may have had prepared this way. pb"

I continue to be very pleased with the results using my "bargain" sous vide set-up. Steaks are a perfect medium-rare EVERY time, pork chops always moist, and boneless/skinless chicken breasts are amazing. If serving them with a sauce, I don't bother with any sear since the "anemic" appearance is not so apparent.

Sous vide may not be for everyone, but it shouldn't be dismissed as a "gimmick".

Michael Hoffman
Re:Sous vide - Sat, 12/7/13 5:41 PM
God bless molecular gastronomy. A fad whose time has come. It is to be hoped it's over as quickly as the usual fad. I find it interesting that if you add but a single letter to fad you get fade.

lleechef
Re:Sous vide - Sat, 12/7/13 5:41 PM
Mosca
I'm very, very sorry if I offended you.

porkbeaks
  • Total Posts : 2202
Re:Sous vide - Sat, 12/7/13 5:45 PM
This is the old thread I referred to.

http://www.roadfood.com/F...=715303&high=Sous+vide

Mosca
Re:Sous vide - Sat, 12/7/13 8:45 PM
Uncle Groucho, you can use whatever bags you want. The special deal includes a vacuum sealer at the same price as the oven alone, but the sealer is a common brand like Hamilton Beach or something. I'm downstairs right now. I bought a pack of plastic, but that is another brand entirely.

Edited to add: the sealer is branded SousVide, but it is the Cuisinart VS-100. The bags are also branded SousVide, but appear identical to the Foodsaver brand.
<message edited by Mosca on Sun, 12/8/13 12:42 AM>

Uncle Groucho
  • Total Posts : 207
Re:Sous vide - Sat, 12/7/13 8:57 PM
Thanks for the reply , I cant wait to hear the results. Good Luck with it.

Mosca
Re:Sous vide - Sat, 12/7/13 9:05 PM
lleechef, I think the world of you. The last thing I want is a fight with someone I like; there was no way it was going to happen. I was trying to put my words together in a way that showed respect for your thoughts yet still explained why it was something that might work for me. I apologize to you. I don't show respect if I also show offense.

A thing can be right for one, and not for another... But it will always be only a thing. Although we have never met, I hope some day we will; it will be a stone cold blast.

pnwchef
Re:Sous vide - Sat, 12/7/13 9:26 PM
Mosca

lleechef, I think the world of you. The last thing I want is a fight with someone I like; there was no way it was going to happen. I was trying to put my words together in a way that showed respect for your thoughts yet still explained why it was something that might work for me. I apologize to you. I don't show respect if I also show offense.

A thing can be right for one, and not for another... But it will always be only a thing. Although we have never met, I hope some day we will; it will be a stone cold blast.

Mosca, I fight with her all the time, her and that guy she married, his name slips my mind. Did you download the free cookbook that came with the water oven ?????????....Bill

Mosca
Re:Sous vide - Sat, 12/7/13 10:41 PM
Not yet, Bill. I got the "easy" cookbook that was available, it is almost too easy. But it does show how to adapt different recipes. One method for the protein, then branches to other uses of it as an ingredient: "Make chicken breasts, then use them in any of these dishes."

I had to work late this afternoon, and didn't get home from Wegman's until 7:30, so I'm going to do turkey breasts tomorrow.

Fighting is not my nature, unless it is resisting evil. I've engaged in forum wars, and every time I wind up embarrassed by my behavior. I'd rather take some time and prepare a reasoned response, or just write one and then erase it and move on. Having an opinion is a normal thing, and not a cause to attack or defend. I'd rather we be different than all born from a pod.

Edited to add: I didn't see a free cookbook on the website, but there are scores of recipes there. That works for me.
<message edited by Mosca on Sat, 12/7/13 10:50 PM>

pnwchef
Re:Sous vide - Sun, 12/8/13 9:57 AM
Mosca

Not yet, Bill. I got the "easy" cookbook that was available, it is almost too easy. But it does show how to adapt different recipes. One method for the protein, then branches to other uses of it as an ingredient: "Make chicken breasts, then use them in any of these dishes."

I had to work late this afternoon, and didn't get home from Wegman's until 7:30, so I'm going to do turkey breasts tomorrow.

Fighting is not my nature, unless it is resisting evil. I've engaged in forum wars, and every time I wind up embarrassed by my behavior. I'd rather take some time and prepare a reasoned response, or just write one and then erase it and move on. Having an opinion is a normal thing, and not a cause to attack or defend. I'd rather we be different than all born from a pod.

Edited to add: I didn't see a free cookbook on the website, but there are scores of recipes there. That works for me.

I'm looking forward to doing some braising in the Sous Vide. If this process is new to you, think of Cooking fish en papillote. when you slice open the parchment paper you want a nice aroma, not a hard hit of over powering herbs and spices. When doing Sous Vide, less is better when it comes to seasonings and herbs. I plan on doing a lot of braising in the pouches, what I'm looking for is a more intense beef or pork flavor to the meat thats used in the recipe. When braising you will get less Au jus, you may have to make a side gravy or sauce to go with the braised meat. When I get my Water oven, I will let you know what works for me and what I screwed up. .............Good luck with your new cooking adventure..............Bill

Mosca
Re:Sous vide - Sun, 12/8/13 1:40 PM
First part was simple. It took about 5 minutes to season and seal, it took about the same amount of time for hot tap water to hit 145*. 2 turkey breasts, a sprinkle each of salt and pepper and S&G rub, 4 pats of butter in each sealed bag.

I'll say the first thing I am NOT going to like: the house will not fill with the scent of cooking.

I'll check in after the Steelers game.

Mosca
Re:Sous vide - Sun, 12/8/13 6:18 PM
It was turkey, and cooking it sous vide can't change that. But it was very moist throughout. Searing at the end helped, but wasnt necessary; if I'd purchased skin-on breast that would have made a bigger difference.

I have a lot of learning to do. I'd love to come here and rave, but it really is just another tool. I need to become more proficient, it isn't going to churn out haute cuisine all by itself.

lleechef
Re:Sous vide - Sun, 12/8/13 6:27 PM
I'm glad your turkey turned out well!  Did you have enough jus to make turkey gravy?

Mosca
Re:Sous vide - Sun, 12/8/13 8:52 PM
There was enough jus, but I served the bird with cranberry/orange/ginger relish, which was out of this world. I'll confess that I actually like the stuff that comes out of the can, but making cranberry sauce is so ridiculously easy (and at least two orders of magnitude better) that I can't fathom why the canned stuff is even marketed.

And I missed the smell of turkey roasting. There is an antiseptic quality to the process; food smells and oven heat need to be there. It's not "worse", but it's definitely not the same.

I did two breasts. We ate the first, and I sliced the second very, very thin, across the grain (like the first). I bagged it and it will make very good turkey sandwiches for the next few days.

lleechef
Re:Sous vide - Mon, 12/9/13 1:12 PM
I think that is one of my most favorite things about turkey dinner is........the smell! 

pnwchef
Re:Sous vide - Mon, 12/9/13 1:41 PM
 canned cranberry sauce was served at the first Thanksgiving dinner. The indians didn't have a can opener so they crushed it on a rock by the river. Needless to say, it mixed with the water, Cranberry juice was invented...............OK, not really, but, it got the kids to eat it at Thanksgiving .

Still standing tall, count the rings and you can tell how old it is.....

Treetop Tom
  • Total Posts : 322
Re:Sous vide - Mon, 12/9/13 2:28 PM
Who knew that when I was running hot tap water over a vacuum-sealed package of Shur-Good Chicken Franks (a bargain @ 69 cents for a 1 lb. package) back in the sink of my college dorm room I was actually cooking using the Sous Vide method?  And to think they laughed at my culinary genius.

pnwchef
Re:Sous vide - Thu, 12/12/13 1:01 PM
Mosca, I see that our Water oven package is priced at $419 now..........

Mosca
Re:Sous vide - Thu, 12/12/13 6:25 PM
Got in under the wire!

pnwchef
Re:Sous vide - Wed, 12/18/13 7:52 PM
I tried a Brisket in my Sous Vide water oven. I cooked it at 147 degrees for 24 hrs.

Cut in half

seasoned and sealed in bags

after it cooked for 24 hrs, I browned it on the grill.

It turned out good, it takes a bit of understanding about thickness and how long to cook. I cooked eggs in it this morning, the yokes were done the whites were runny. Figure that one out........

WarToad
Re:Sous vide - Wed, 12/18/13 8:45 PM
pnwchef
  I cooked eggs in it this morning, the yokes were done the whites were runny. Figure that one out........

http://freshmealssolutions.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=65:search-perfect-egg-jueneman&Itemid=100088

"
“The important temperatures and proteins when cooking an egg in its shell are:
  • 143°F (61.5°C): the protein conalbumin denatures and causes the egg white to form a loose gel
  • 148°F (64.5°C): the protein livetin denatures and causes the egg yolk to form a tender gel
  • 158°F (70°C): the protein ovomucoid denatures and causes the egg white to form a firm gel (the egg yolk also coagulates around this temperature)
  • 184°F (84.5°C): the protein ovalbumin denatures and causes the egg white to become rubbery.”"

"The solution, according to Baldwin, is to cook eggs at a temperature between 70°C/158°F and 84.5°C/184°F, so that the conalbumin and ovomucoids (but not the ovalbumin) will be denatured, for a time to heat the yolk to a temperature around 64.5°C/148°F, yielding a soft-boiled egg with a firm by not rubbery egg white and a soft to creamy yolk. Because the time required for the center of the egg to come up to temperature is a function of the size of the egg, Baldwin has computed a table for eggs of various sizes, “In-Shell Egg Heating Times in a 75°C Water Bath using Circumference.” "

(Go to link - Mucho food science - but completely answers your egg yolk/white "doneness" quandry and your solution to sous vide eggs.)

WarToad
Re:Sous vide - Wed, 12/18/13 8:52 PM
(My best Thomas Dolby voice)  "SCIENCE!!!!" 

Slightly off topic factoid - He was a one hit wonder of the 1980s pop music scene.  He went on to develop the code and patent the ringtone for cellphones.  A patent still paid to this day.  On every single cellphone/smartphone.  Every ringtone.  Cha-$$$$-^%$#@#$$%-$$$$-ching.  Baby.   Science!  And one single smart idea.

EdSails
  • Total Posts : 3592
Re:Sous vide - Wed, 12/18/13 9:37 PM
I must say I'm impressed with the look of that brisket!

pnwchef
Re:Sous vide - Thu, 12/19/13 8:53 AM
WarToad

pnwchef
  I cooked eggs in it this morning, the yokes were done the whites were runny. Figure that one out........

http://freshmealssolutions.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=65:search-perfect-egg-jueneman&Itemid=100088

"
  • 143°F (61.5°C): the protein conalbumin denatures and causes the egg white to form a loose gel
  • 148°F (64.5°C): the protein livetin denatures and causes the egg yolk to form a tender gel
  • 158°F (70°C): the protein ovomucoid denatures and causes the egg white to form a firm gel (the egg yolk also coagulates around this temperature)
  • 184°F (84.5°C): the protein ovalbumin denatures and causes the egg white to become rubbery.”"

"The solution, according to Baldwin, is to cook eggs at a temperature between 70°C/158°F and 84.5°C/184°F, so that the conalbumin and ovomucoids (but not the ovalbumin) will be denatured, for a time to heat the yolk to a temperature around 64.5°C/148°F, yielding a soft-boiled egg with a firm by not rubbery egg white and a soft to creamy yolk. Because the time required for the center of the egg to come up to temperature is a function of the size of the egg, Baldwin has computed a table for eggs of various sizes, “In-Shell Egg Heating Times in a 75°C Water Bath using Circumference.” "

(Go to link - Mucho food science - but completely answers your egg yolk/white "doneness" quandry and your solution to sous vide eggs.)

WarToad, I cooked the eggs, in shell @ 147 degrees. The white wasn't set, the yoke was cooked 3/4 of the way. I took them out after 1 1/2 hrs. I expected the whites to be set and silky, the yoke to be creamy and runny.............beats me, I'll try a higher temp and a lesser cooking time..............Bill

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9581
Re:Sous vide - Thu, 12/19/13 11:41 AM
WarToad

pnwchef

• 143°F (61.5°C): the protein conalbumin denatures and causes the egg white to form a loose
  • "The solution, according to Baldwin, is to cook eggs at a temperature between 70°C/158°F and 84.5°C/184°F, so that the conalbumin and ovomucoids (but not the ovalbumin) will be denatured, for a time to heat the yolk to a temperature around 64.5°C/148°F, yielding a soft-boiled egg with a firm by not rubbery egg white and a soft to creamy yolk. Because the time required for the center of the egg to come up to temperature is a function of the size of the egg, Baldwin has computed a table for eggs of various sizes, “In-Shell Egg Heating Times in a 75°C Water Bath using Circumference.” "
"-so that the conalbumin and ovomucoids (but not the ovalbumin) will be denatured"
My God! The LAST thing I want is for my ovalbumin to become denatured!!!

pnwchef
Re:Sous vide - Sun, 12/22/13 6:49 PM
Top Sirloin steaks, Sous Vide........cooked at 134 degrees

Just some salt and pepper, then air tight sealed.

after one hr cooking in the water oven

this is what they look like when they are taken out of the water oven after 1 1/2 hrs.

browned with a nice seasoned crust, about one minute on each side.

a nice medium rare, tender and juicy........

pnwchef
Re:Sous vide - Tue, 12/24/13 6:15 PM

As shown in the above picture, I Grilled one of the pieces of Brisket. The other one I left so I could us it for Hot Beef sandwiches, french dips and Cheesesteaks. I used this piece of brisket more like I would use a Roast Beef.
this how it looks when it's not browned.

Sliced for sandwiches, I made my wife a French dip out of this she said it was tender.

I made a Sliced brisket with melted provolone cheese sauteed mushrooms/peppers/onions, on a slider pretzel roll.........

Next time I will cook the brisket at a lower temp for a much longer time. If I have a think brisket, it will cook for about 3 days. All in all the meat was fine, I would like to have the meat cook to a Medium rare. There are so many uses for this cut of meat, the meat is full of flavor and tender.
<message edited by pnwchef on Tue, 12/24/13 6:17 PM>

EdSails
  • Total Posts : 3592
Re:Sous vide - Tue, 12/24/13 6:44 PM
Those sandwiches look delicious, Bill!

pnwchef
Re:Sous vide - Sun, 12/29/13 7:31 PM
Sous Vide Meatloaf:
I used a ziplock bag on this, I used the water displacement method to get the air out of the bag.

This is how it looks when I took it out of the water oven. I cooked it at 140 degrees for 2 hrs.

Browned under the broiler for a few minutes for a nice crust.

ready to eat

I call this my New Haven Meatloaf, named after a good friend of mine.

Michael Hoffman
Re:Sous vide - Sun, 12/29/13 7:35 PM
Your New Haven friend would have put it into a 350 degree oven for an hour, and wouldn't have wasted a Ziplock.

lleechef
Re:Sous vide - Sun, 12/29/13 7:36 PM
I say throw the darn thing in the oven and quit foolin' around.  You have friends from New Haven?  Do they cook their meatloaf in boiling water??  Must be a Connecticut thing.   

pnwchef
Re:Sous vide - Mon, 12/30/13 6:59 PM
 Old Lyme Connecticut, Sous Vide Center Cut Pork Chops.. These were sealed air tight with fresh Rosemary and butter on one side and Smoked Hog Jowl on the other side.

<message edited by pnwchef on Mon, 12/30/13 7:38 PM>

Michael Hoffman
Re:Sous vide - Mon, 12/30/13 7:07 PM
I think you must be boiling your brain in that water oven. It's Old Lyme. A lime is a green citrus fruit best served raw with a rum and tonic.

chefbuba
  • Total Posts : 1956
Re:Sous vide - Mon, 12/30/13 7:39 PM
Michael Hoffman

Your New Haven friend would have put it into a 350 degree oven for an hour, and wouldn't have wasted a Ziplock.

pnwchef
Re:Sous vide - Mon, 12/30/13 7:54 PM
Michael Hoffman

I think you must be boiling your brain in that water oven. It's Old Lyme. A lime is a green citrus fruit best served raw with a rum and tonic.

I thought it was Old Lymon at first, then I was drinking a Limeade, never mind.......

pnwchef
Re:Sous vide - Mon, 12/30/13 7:57 PM
chefbuba

Michael Hoffman

Buba, he doesn't need any help, if people agree with him it will never end.

hatteras04
  • Total Posts : 1070
Re:Sous vide - Mon, 12/30/13 8:17 PM
That pork chop looks delicious! Actually the whole plate does. How long did you cook the pork?

pnwchef
Re:Sous vide - Mon, 12/30/13 8:59 PM
hatteras04

That pork chop looks delicious! Actually the whole plate does. How long did you cook the pork?

Thxs, 2 1/2 hrs at 134 degrees.............It could stay in the water for up to 5 to 6 hrs with no change in quality.

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 115