indian food for breakfast

Junior Burger
2004/04/05 14:28:15
Any body interested in having south indian breakfast ?
Grampy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: indian food for breakfast 2004/04/05 14:45:31
I would have it any time of the day!
zataar
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: indian food for breakfast 2004/04/05 15:19:00
What does a typical south indian breakfast include? As far as I know there are only 2 restaurants in the Kansas City area that have south indian cuisine and they aren't open for breakfast! The south indian dinner food that I've had was great, so I'd be very interested in learning more about it.
scbuzz
Double Cheeseburger
RE: indian food for breakfast 2004/04/05 15:32:31
I love Indian food, so I would always be interested in it !!!

Emerald
Junior Burger
RE: indian food for breakfast 2004/05/04 11:28:29
Indian food for breakfast? Any time, but I've never run into an Indian restaurant open at that time of day. However, a different sort of Indian breakfast I try every time I am in Albuquerque is at the Pueblo Indian Cultural Center on the west side. Wonderful fry bread, huevos rancheros, etc. They're open early for breakfast.
renfrew
Double Cheeseburger
RE: indian food for breakfast 2004/05/04 11:43:37
Isnt traditional south indian breakfast part of what americans consume in South indain Restuarants.

I thought idlis, dosas and the like were served with Sambar and coconut chutney as a popular breakfast. am I right?

Sort of like how scallion pancakes are served here as an appetizer, but in parts of china are breakfast foods.
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: indian food for breakfast 2004/05/04 12:18:39
I was private chef for a family in Paris, the woman was from India and the man was French. Every morning she would have a small saucer of chopped fresh tumeric root and ginger root, along with tea. He would just have tea. Then Felix Rohatyn and his wife came to stay and they asked for.......shhhhh.....EGGS....and coffee! We were all mortified! He is now the US Ambassador to France.....I guess eggs and coffee worked better than tumeric and ginger!
Vital Information
Junior Burger
RE: indian food for breakfast 2004/05/04 17:36:05
quote:
Originally posted by renfrew

Isnt traditional south indian breakfast part of what americans consume in South indain Restuarants.

I thought idlis, dosas and the like were served with Sambar and coconut chutney as a popular breakfast. am I right?

Sort of like how scallion pancakes are served here as an appetizer, but in parts of china are breakfast foods.

Yes that is right. Most of the stuff associated with "southern Indian" places, idlis, dhosa, vada, etc. are really breakfast or lunch food.

The archtypical Northern Indian/Pakistani breakfast is halwa puri; something akin to really, really good cream of wheat with fried puffy bread. Sometimes served with spiced chick peas.
tarragon
Cheeseburger
RE: indian food for breakfast 2004/05/04 19:58:36
Dosa are delicious! And I've had stuffed puri's for breakfast--stuffed with a spicy mixture of potatoes mashed with grated fresh ginger root. Or maybe that would be better described as a stuffed chapati, because I cooked it on a griddle. I love masala dosa, but I've never had them for breakfast. Thanks for the info; I didn't know that they were typical South Indian breakfast/lunch foods.