TWO famous icons gone in the same day.........

Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:TWO famous icons gone in the same day......... 2013/12/16 01:31:00
Actually THREE, and it's very sad.  

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/actress-joan-fontaine-dies-rebecca-suspicion-665831
post edited by MellowRoast - 2013/12/16 05:57:03
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:TWO famous icons gone in the same day......... 2013/12/16 11:07:33
I realize this is not a normal Roadfood topic but as long as it's been posted, I would like to add my two cents.

I shall miss the great actor Peter O'Toole very much. I enjoyed all of his movies. Especially, "Lawrence Of Arabia" and, an obscure movie he starred in titled, "Murphy's War" made in 1971.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:TWO famous icons gone in the same day......... 2013/12/16 11:25:22
Just out of curiosity, why was the original post flagged? Surely not because it's in the Roadfood News section.
hatteras04
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:TWO famous icons gone in the same day......... 2013/12/16 11:28:14
My Favorite Year is one of my favorite movies.  And to make it roadfood news related...I always want dum sum after watching Benji's version of dinner and a movie.

"Jews know two things:  suffering and where to find great Chinese food."
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:TWO famous icons gone in the same day......... 2013/12/16 12:00:24
Michael Hoffman

Just out of curiosity, why was the original post flagged? Surely not because it's in the Roadfood News section.

I didn't flag this "poster" however I suspect this poster was flagged because the topic has nothing to do with Roadfood and is therefore "off topic" I know that most posters "wanna be on the front page" even though their post(s) does not contribute to anything that has to do with Roadfood
post edited by wanderingjew - 2013/12/16 12:01:40
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:TWO famous icons gone in the same day......... 2013/12/16 12:14:26
I second WJ's motion.

Also, Tom Laughlin is to ICON's as McDonald's is to ROADFOOD.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:TWO famous icons gone in the same day......... 2013/12/16 12:35:33
I am a huge Peter O' Toole fan, as Lawrence of Arabia is my all-time favorite movie.  Still, his best performances may have been in My Favorite Year or The Stuntman.

And Joan Fontaine, a fine actress and what a beauty! 
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:TWO famous icons gone in the same day......... 2013/12/16 12:48:30
My Favorite Year is one of my favorites, but I also really enjoyed one of his not so well received films, Creator.

When I was in Basic Training at Samson AFB in Geneva, New York we had a weekend when we were allowed to leave the base for either Rochester or Syracuse. I chose Rochester, and while having dinner with three other members of my Flight on Saturday seated at the next table was Joan Fontaine. She asked us where we were stationed and then brought her chair over to our table and sat and talked with us for over an hour. She was a very gracious woman, and she was, of course, very beautiful.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:TWO famous icons gone in the same day......... 2013/12/16 12:54:56
Michael-
Love that story!  Glad to know Joan Fontaine was that nice off the screen, also.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:TWO famous icons gone in the same day......... 2013/12/16 13:16:53
She was quite a lady.

Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:TWO famous icons gone in the same day......... 2013/12/16 14:45:20
Michael Hoffman

She was quite a lady.

Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
Re:TWO famous icons gone in the same day......... 2013/12/16 15:14:09
Two great losses
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:TWO famous icons gone in the same day......... 2013/12/23 19:47:08
Quite a story in the LA Times about Peter O'Toole, from noted author Joseph Wambaugh. 

Hollywood Confidential: The actor, the comic and LAPD vice
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:TWO famous icons gone in the same day......... 2013/12/23 21:05:10
Great story!
Adjudicator
Sirloin
Re:TWO famous icons gone in the same day......... 2013/12/24 07:48:30
wanderingjew

Michael Hoffman

I didn't flag this "poster" however I suspect this poster was flagged because the topic has nothing to do with Roadfood and is therefore "off topic" I know that most posters "wanna be on the front page" even though their post(s) does not contribute to anything that has to do with Roadfood

There is nothing that says this particular forum that says one has to contribute to anything that has to do with Roadfood: 

"Use this forum to have casual conversations with the Roadfood community. Please keep this family friendly and void of advertisements."
post edited by Adjudicator - 2013/12/24 07:50:13
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:TWO famous icons gone in the same day......... 2013/12/24 08:15:30
Adjudicator

wanderingjew

Michael Hoffman

There is nothing that says this particular forum that says one has to contribute to anything that has to do with Roadfood: 

"Use this forum to have casual conversations with the Roadfood community. Please keep this family friendly and void of advertisements."

Ummm....Wake up!!!!

This post was originally in the "Roadfood News Forum" and has since been moved here.
And then there are posters (remember they're not "roadfooders"  that have hundreds, thousands  of posts and not one single one of these posts have anything to do with roadfood
eruby
Double Cheeseburger
Re:TWO famous icons gone in the same day......... 2013/12/24 10:31:03
JRPfeff

I second WJ's motion.

Also, Tom Laughlin is to ICON's as McDonald's is to ROADFOOD.
Oh go "drive your car into the lake".

mr chips
Filet Mignon
Re:TWO famous icons gone in the same day......... 2013/12/24 15:58:18
It's a little late but the loss of these three reminds me of the varied pleasures of cinema. Ms. Fontaine's performance in Suspision is unforgettable and Hitchcock's direction was masterful. Mr. O'Toole gave me so much pleasure as an actor that it is almost impossible to express my gratitude. The Stunt Man was brilliant and in My Favorite Year he put the lie to the most famous line in the movie because he was an actor and a movie star. And when i was in my late teens I truly loved Billy Jack and Tom Laughlin caught lightning in a bottle and was fortunate that his wife could direct.  Thanks for the memories guys.
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
Re:TWO famous icons gone in the same day......... 2013/12/24 16:14:02
Lawrence of Arabia is one of my two favorite films. The other is Citizen Kane