If it is on your list, hurry to Millbury, Massachusetts

Double Chili Cheeseburger
2013/12/23 10:16:17
The long standing, classic diner in downtown Millbury will close at the end of the year in a rent dispute. From news reports, I doubt that it will reopen, unless it is moved. The folks in there now have been there for about 10 years, on a "month to month basis". They have IMO, done a good job, although I don't go there very often.
billyboy
Re:If it is on your list, hurry to Millbury, Massachusetts 2013/12/23 19:26:28
Do you have more info?  Name of diner, address, phone number? 

Sadly, rent disputes have brought about the demise of many places in NYC as well in the past few years.
tmiles
Re:If it is on your list, hurry to Millbury, Massachusetts 2013/12/24 13:18:59
billyboy

Do you have more info?  Name of diner, address, phone number? 

Sadly, rent disputes have brought about the demise of many places in NYC as well in the past few years.

Central Diner at the corner of Main and Elm streets in Millbury, Mass. I don't have a phone, but I'll try and find it. They are breakfast , 3:30 AM to noon. I had my last meal there yesterday. I had forgotten just how outstanding the grilled spuds are. The landlord is one of the smallest banks in the country, Millbury National Bank. They have had a picket line out front for the last few days in support of the diner. The old rent was $350/mo, and the bank wants $500 and a 6 month lease. The diner says that a longer lease is needed to make badly needed repairs. The diner, being one of the smaller models should be easy to move, but expensive. A diner that can barely afford a $350 land rent will have a hard time paying back the dough that it takes to move and rebuild. I wish the diner owners luck, but understand the bank's concern, as the diner is sort of a dump in the eyes of some.
post edited by tmiles - 2013/12/28 15:24:30
tmiles
Re:If it is on your list, hurry to Millbury, Massachusetts 2014/01/03 12:00:17
We had a snow storm today, and the place is dark and unshoveled. The snowplow drivers had to find another place for a 5AM fillup. Too bad.
tmiles
Re:If it is on your list, hurry to Millbury, Massachusetts 2014/01/21 15:11:50
It is still closed with a "For Sale" sign in the window. If you ever wanted to restore a classic diner, here is your chance. As a guy with some construction experience, it looks like it will be a real PITA to move........maybe move it in pieces to save on costs???? It will need a total rebuild.
tmiles
Re:If it is on your list, hurry to Millbury, Massachusetts 2014/08/03 16:45:01
I saw it getting moved a few days ago. The paper says that it was bought by a guy who restores diners, and the diner has been moved to his lot pending designs by a new owner. The same man restored the "new" Miss Mendon Diner (Mendon Mass), after moving it from elsewhere. The new owner of the Miss Mendon is a local car dealer, who thought that "the little town of Mendon" ,as he says in his ads, needed a diner.