Hot!Things you make without a recipe

Filet Mignon
2014/01/02 11:08:14
There are so many ways to make the same dish. The multiple threads of pork, sauerkraut, beans, rice, etc got me to thinking about cooking without a recipe.

When I first started making Hoppin' John, I did simple: black eyed peas, onions, ham hock. Salt & pepper. Then I thought, there are things that will really make this better. So I added chopped celery, and bell pepper, and about a pound of ham, and some garlic, and some rice, and some chopped greens, and some cajun seasoning, and hell why not a bay leaf... nothing wrong with Hoppin' John, but damn. Things can get mighty good mighty fast.

Anyone every just start throwing things in a pot to see what happens next?
Pancho
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Things you make without a recipe 2014/01/02 11:28:09
Mosca

There are so many ways to make the same dish. The multiple threads of pork, sauerkraut, beans, rice, etc got me to thinking about cooking without a recipe.

When I first started making Hoppin' John, I did simple: black eyed peas, onions, ham hock. Salt & pepper. Then I thought, there are things that will really make this better. So I added chopped celery, and bell pepper, and about a pound of ham, and some garlic, and some rice, and some chopped greens, and some cajun seasoning, and hell why not a bay leaf... nothing wrong with Hoppin' John, but damn. Things can get mighty good mighty fast.

Anyone every just start throwing things in a pot to see what happens next?
About the only time I follow a recipe is when I bake. I made a huge chicken pot pie last week in a casserole pan and threw in a bunch of chopped collards just before I put the crust over it. Came out fantastic.

felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:Things you make without a recipe 2014/01/02 11:45:57
The only reason I have recipes for anything other than baking (baking is science, I have to follow a recipe because it ALWAYS turns out badly if I don't), is because I started posting them on websites. 99% of my recipes are born because I'm standing in my kitchen trying to figure out what sounds good and/or what I've got that needs to be used or go bad. It took me years before I started making notes so I had a hope in hell of being able to make something ever again.
WarToad
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Things you make without a recipe 2014/01/02 11:54:39
I'm a guy.  We don't need no steenking 'structions.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Things you make without a recipe 2014/01/02 11:57:47
I don't bake, so anything I make is recipeless.
Big_g
Cheeseburger
Re:Things you make without a recipe 2014/01/02 12:16:14
I use a recipe for nearly everything...I may adjust the bejeebers out of it but it is a starting point.
Re:Things you make without a recipe 2014/01/02 12:19:17
What the heck is a recipe?
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:Things you make without a recipe 2014/01/02 12:37:22
chewingthefat

What the heck is a recipe?

Yeah.  What's that?
I do use them when I bake.

FriedClamFanatic
Re:Things you make without a recipe 2014/01/02 12:45:39
My usual recipe is...........open the fridge or freezer......Whatdowegot???  What might go well with it?   Left overs like mashed potatoes or meats are particularly susceptible to this.  So many sauces/condiments on the Fridge door.....hmmm.which one tonight?  The spice "cabinet" overflows to the counter.a little of this, a little of that (almost always garlic).........about 80% of the time it's a winner, 10% edible and 10%....ok........let's not try that again!
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Things you make without a recipe 2014/01/02 13:54:07
For grilling, casseroles, and pasta sauces I assemble the ingredients and spices but don't use measuring spoons or cups.

But, you can't 'eyeball' baked goods; those are as much chemistry as cooking.
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Things you make without a recipe 2014/01/02 15:27:28
I am of the whatta wegot school as well
MellowRoast
Re:Things you make without a recipe 2014/01/02 15:37:07
Cheese & crackers.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Things you make without a recipe 2014/01/02 16:44:40
MellowRoast

Cheese & crackers.

Count out six Nabisco Saltines.

Cut Longhorn cheese into six 1.5" x 1.5" x 0.125" portions.

Place cheese atop saltines.

Slice three green pimento-stuffed olives precisely in half.

Place olives atop cheese.

Serve with Cold Coors Light.

(serves one)

MellowRoast
Re:Things you make without a recipe 2014/01/02 17:46:20
Regular Coors.
FriedClamFanatic
Re:Things you make without a recipe 2014/01/02 18:00:14
Kill the olives.....it takes too long to get them outta the jar and sliced..i could be through half the beer by then...but..i like your style!
SeamusD
Re:Things you make without a recipe 2014/01/02 20:49:31
I have to at the restaurant to keep everything consistent, but never at home unless it's something new I'm trying. Then I'll follow it, and tweak it to my tastes afterwards.
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
Re:Things you make without a recipe 2014/01/02 21:32:52
The only thing I've ever prepared without a recipe is boiled water. It didn't come out all that well.
mlm
Cheeseburger
Re:Things you make without a recipe 2014/01/02 22:55:06

mlm
Cheeseburger
Re:Things you make without a recipe 2014/01/02 23:01:22
Just about the only food my father would fix for himself was a piece of cheese. He'd cut a slice of cheddar, lick it along it's length and sprinkle salt on it. When he felt like an overachiever, he would spread it with Miracle Whip. Other than pouring himself a cup of coffee, he had my mother fix everything for him. Twice in my life, he scrambled eggs. Sigh. RIP Daddy. After 13 years, I still miss him like crazy.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Things you make without a recipe 2014/01/02 23:02:43
I rarely measure anything. I'll look at a recipe just to make sure I include most of what's on there but 99% of the time involves ingredient substitutions so I guess that means I don't follow recipes!
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Things you make without a recipe 2014/01/02 23:03:55
Pizza! Every one is always a new venture in just about every way from dough to sauce to ingredients.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:Things you make without a recipe 2014/01/02 23:34:02
I'll look at a recipe for a dish I want to make that sounds good and then, innovate to make it to my own taste.

I might basically make that same dish 4-5 times over a period of time and never make it exactly the same each time.

To me, a recipe is only used as a basic outline of ingredients and cooking time.
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Things you make without a recipe 2014/01/03 19:18:46
I don't use recipes.I will page thru a cookbook for ideas, but the dish is all my take. I rarely bake, and found out the hard way you cant be creative with the recipes....
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
Re:Things you make without a recipe 2014/01/03 19:37:17
chili's always approximate.
post edited by 1bbqboy - 2014/01/03 19:45:04
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:Things you make without a recipe 2014/01/03 20:46:52
Right! Chili is the purest form of a cook's imagination.
post edited by Twinwillow - 2014/01/04 00:25:39
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Things you make without a recipe 2014/01/04 00:02:49
Agreed
bartl
Re:Things you make without a recipe 2014/01/04 09:20:52
When I used to cook a lot more often, I did a lot of experimenting. I remember coming up with a chili/curry fusion that my family loved. Unfortunately, one of the key ingredients went out of production.

Bart
Mosca
Filet Mignon
Re:Things you make without a recipe 2014/01/05 11:34:37
Interesting about chili. Sometimes I do whatever I want, but if I want to make original basic cowboy chili, Texas Red, I come here to Roadfood and look up the one that scrumptiouschef posted a couple years ago. Texas Red is a specific dish, chili is not.

http://www.roadfood.com/F...76804&high=Basic+chili
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Things you make without a recipe 2014/01/05 16:21:48
Meatloaf is another thing never made the same way. I usually don't even start with a recipe as I just rummage around the kitchen picking ingredients.

For hot beef stew I try to stick to a family recipe given to me by a cousin but nearly always veer off course while in progress.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Things you make without a recipe 2014/01/05 19:04:31
Doncha think that after you have cooked a few years, you begin to get a feeling of what works and what does not?  I use to measure many years ago right by the recipe but not I seem to know what works and what does not.  recipe calls for a certain amount of oil, salt, pepper and other ingredients.  You know that too much salt does not work and you sorta go from there.  Quite frankly I am in nowhere the class of Lisa and many others but I rarely screw up too much.

At least Roz and Mamaw Smith really enjoys my southern creations. This is a little southern chili I made.  I used jalapeno, chunky filet, spices, and some others goodies.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Things you make without a recipe 2014/01/05 21:00:47
Looks wonderful
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:Things you make without a recipe 2014/01/05 21:44:57
And, this is just that time of the year that I most enjoy a big bowl of "Texas Red" Terlingua style chili to warm the cockles of my belly. 
http://www.chili.org/recipes.html

boyardee65
Re:Things you make without a recipe 2014/01/27 02:40:56
I don't really follow recipes at home only because I have cooked for so long. Cup, dash, pinch measurements are all from my hand except for baking. However at the restaurant I always use the spec called for, for consistency.

David O.

Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Things you make without a recipe 2014/01/28 12:28:31
Quite a few dishes I make by taste and memory.  But still use recipes on the less common ones.
One dish with a larger number of ingredients that I make from memory and without a recipe would be Greek Spinach Pie using phyllo dough.