suggestions needed, please! tasty food after oral surgery needed

Double Cheeseburger
2014/01/09 20:34:14
I need some suggestions for tasty soft textured foods for the next week or so....I was unlucky enough to have to undergo oral surgery (sparing you all the details), but after a week of pain leading up to it, and having the surgery this morning; I feel like a new man.  However, I have lived on room temperature mashed potatoes, pudding, overcooked pasta, and soft fruits for the last week,....I still have about another week of softer foods to go before I can safely tackle back into a juicy steak or some ribs again...(makes my mouth water just to think of it...).

Anybody else been through this and have some suggestions?  Vegetarian foods are fine, too; mainly because we can cook the vegetables until very tender.   Meats are a little bit of a challenge to get tender enough for the next few days, too.

Thank you!
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:suggestions needed, please! tasty food after oral surgery needed 2014/01/09 21:02:55
I've had similar challenges too. Butternut or acorn squash dishes are good. Of course, I made a meatloaf which worked out well. Fish in general was soft enough, especially tilapia and catfish. Asian soups are good such as won ton, although I did have problems with pho because of the long noodles. Other Chinese dishes such as ma po tofu or shredded pork and eggplant were sufficiently soft and fine enough to be no problem. I smoked some pork butt and just chopped it up a lot for myself.  Red beans and rice worked amazingly well and even those XLNT tamales. Ok, they are not what I am used to these days at the local taquerias, but it's easy to eat. Good luck!
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:suggestions needed, please! tasty food after oral surgery needed 2014/01/09 23:34:39
Mashed turnips with your mashed potatoes or alone if you've had enough potatoes.

Cream of Wheat
Polenta
Cream of whatever soup...puréed
Hummus

Protein shakes or shots if you've been eating carbs most of the time.
post edited by CCinNJ - 2014/01/10 00:17:24
mar52
Sirloin
Re:suggestions needed, please! tasty food after oral surgery needed 2014/01/10 01:10:29
I had oral surgery the day Michael Jackson died, whenever that was. 

I started with the typical soft foods that you mentioned then graduated to cheese enchiladas and bean and cheese burritos.

Then I realized that if the food was cut into small, bite sized pieces I could handle them.  So I moved up to Chinese food.  Mabo Tofu was a favorite but so were chicken dishes.

I craved flavor.
the grillman
Double Cheeseburger
Re:suggestions needed, please! tasty food after oral surgery needed 2014/01/10 07:09:41
thank you all for the suggestions; I like the ideas about catfish or tilapia; if I bake it, shouldn't be too bad for me to deal with. texture wise.   Also the Texmex ideas; as I'm going to a family event at a Mexican restaurant this weekend, and was trying to decide if I can handle that.  And yes, I'm sick of carbs; mashed turnips or parsnips sounds great right now.  Poached eggs are going to be on my breakfast menu this morning, I think.  Had plenty of oatmeal and hot cereal already.

This really helped me, I really was stumped; as I needed to cook and eat, and didn't feel like either, and nothing sounded good anymore.  Thank you again!
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:suggestions needed, please! tasty food after oral surgery needed 2014/01/10 07:24:45
Ice cream, hold the nuts & chunks.
ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
Re:suggestions needed, please! tasty food after oral surgery needed 2014/01/10 08:28:40
the grillman

I need some suggestions for tasty soft textured foods for the next week or so
Jello shots.
waltpiii
Cheeseburger
Re:suggestions needed, please! tasty food after oral surgery needed 2014/01/10 09:42:25
Mac and cheese
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:suggestions needed, please! tasty food after oral surgery needed 2014/01/10 09:59:38
ScreamingChicken

the grillman

I need some suggestions for tasty soft textured foods for the next week or so
Jello shots.

I wish I'd thought of that when I had my dental work done in December!
Re:suggestions needed, please! tasty food after oral surgery needed 2014/01/10 12:40:58
Spaghetti with meatless/beanless Chili sauce on it!
post edited by chewingthefat - 2014/01/11 11:50:24
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:suggestions needed, please! tasty food after oral surgery needed 2014/01/10 12:51:58
chewingthefat

Spaghetti with meatless/beanless sauce on it!

I would rather have an endless supply of cream of crab soup!!!! 
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:suggestions needed, please! tasty food after oral surgery needed 2014/01/10 18:46:06
Mushroom Soup, Split Pea Soup, Onion Soup, Beer Cheese Soup,
Finely Ground Corn Beef Hash.
Colcannon, Ground Beef Chili, Egg Salad