Hot!"Vanishing" Foods of New York City

Double Chili Cheeseburger
2014/01/12 23:03:19
I read this article in the December23, 2103 issue of New York Magazine.  Interesting.  Some of these I have never heard of.  Others I have heard of but never tried and some of them I think are still around and will be around for some time.  What do you think?
Link to Grub Street (slideshow) post:  http://www.grubstreet.com...endangered_foods.html#
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:"Vanishing" Foods of New York City 2014/01/12 23:38:43
Forced to clump to <<<Hoboken>>>

Like it's a transatlantic voyage.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:"Vanishing" Foods of New York City 2014/01/13 00:59:25
I hate articles where they mention in the promo things like "fied, square knishes from Long Island" and then fail to talk about them in the article itself.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:"Vanishing" Foods of New York City 2014/01/13 07:33:02
Having lived in Pittsburgh, the Shenandoah Valley, WDC, and Dallas I have, despite wide travel, never heard of half of those items. 
billyboy
Re:"Vanishing" Foods of New York City 2014/01/13 07:51:35
For those not interested in the slideshow, the items on this list are:
1.) Bagels - I've only lived in NYC a little over 10 years but I think there are many worthy bagel shops.
2.) Lobster Newburg - never tried 
3.) Seltzer - not a fan
4.) Bialy - I've had good and bad versions but Kossar's on the Lower East Side is my favorite.
5.) Vastedda - spleen sandwich, never tried 
6.) Pike Quenelle - never heard of until I read this article
7.) Stukel
8.) Steak Diane
9.) Charlotte Russe
10.) Brooklyn Blackout Cake
11.) Oyster Pan Roast
12.) Soft Pretzel
13.) Fresh Mozzarella
14.) Black and White Cookie
15.) Baked Alaska
16.) Mutton Chop
17.) Egg Cream
18.) Gribenes
19.) Lard Bread
20.) Newtown Pippin
post edited by billyboy - 2014/01/13 07:54:07
ken8038
Re:"Vanishing" Foods of New York City 2014/01/13 09:02:28
Interesting iist, but even after living in or near and working in NYC all my life, I too have never ever come across some of these. Newtown Pippin??

Going thru the slide show, it did occur to me that in one way only having such a few places to get these items is not such a bad thing, as most of the inferior purveyors have gone by the wayside. For example, as a 20-something in Brooklyn in the 70's, there were any number of places to get lard bread (one of my favorite foods, even back then), but a lot of them were awful. Now, if you want a lard bread, yeah you have to seek it out, but at least you're pretty sure you'll be getting a great one.

One other item from my back days that probably should be on the list is Panelle, a fried mashed chickpea/ricotta topped with fresh grated cheese dish which tends to be available at the same places that have Vestedda (no I never tried that). Hard to find these days, but one of my favorite eateries in the whole wide world has it on the menu, Ferdinando's, on a not-very attractive block by the Brooklyn Queens Expressway, and it's one of my favorite dishes ever.

For some reason I can't get their website open (jeez, I hope they haven't all of a sudden closed after like 110 years...), but here's yelp.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/ferdinandos-brooklyn-2
post edited by ken8038 - 2014/01/13 09:06:33
pnwchef
Re:"Vanishing" Foods of New York City 2014/01/13 10:16:18
I can't understand this, I must have had 25 people walk up to me and ask " Hey Bill, where can I get a Vastedda calf’s-spleen-and-cheese sandwich" I'll check at Subway today, they have a special this month, JAN-U-ANY.$5 footlong.....I guess we got want we wanted, faster food. No one gives a hoot about Mom and Pop who has the hard roll ham and egg sandwich, they don't have a drive up window.........(Tradition), when you loose the people, the foods catered to, you loose the food.

If I were a rich man,
Ya ha deedle deedle, bubba bubba deedle deedle dum.
All day long I'd biddy biddy bum.
If I were a wealthy man.
I wouldn't have to work hard.
Ya ha deedle deedle, bubba bubba deedle deedle dum.
If I were a biddy biddy rich,
Yidle-diddle-didle-didle man.

I knew I should have stopped at Yonah Schimmels Knishes last summer. I won't be in NYC until next year........shame on me, what the Hell do I think these things last forever.............I hope Peter Lugers is still there, the cab driver didn't know where it was......

Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:"Vanishing" Foods of New York City 2014/01/13 10:22:52
Thanks for the post and link, billyboy. You always manage to "hit the nail on the head". You've also managed to bring tears to the eyes of this 74 year old guy who proudly grew up in Brooklyn, New York during the forties.

With two exceptions, (stukel and vastedda) I very well remember all the others mentioned on the list.

Eaten at least once a week and some every day, these wonderful ethnic foods were indeed, an integral part of the daily life for all New Yorkers during the thirties, forties and fifties.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:"Vanishing" Foods of New York City 2014/01/13 10:33:10
I also remember while growing up in Brooklyn that when you went to someones home for dinner, God help you if you didn't bring along a chocolate "blackout" cake. And, it better have come from Ebinger's Bakery or, you were never invited back!
http://www.capitalnewyork...brooklyn-blackout-cake

http://brooklyn.com/faqanswer-93.html

post edited by Twinwillow - 2014/01/13 10:40:54
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:"Vanishing" Foods of New York City 2014/01/13 12:54:48
Vastedda, lard bread, Newtown pippin and Brooklyn Blackout Cake are the only ones I've never had. Of course the pike quenelle is a lot like my grandmother's gefilte fish, except she made hers with pike and carp, wrapped each one in the skin and baked them.
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:"Vanishing" Foods of New York City 2014/01/13 13:47:08
Pike quenelles and gefilte fish have absolutely nothing in common except that they both have the ingredient of ground fish.
As for the other "vanishing" foods, they're mostly "old" and I don't think many folks will miss them..........with the exception of really good fresh mozzarella, but now everybody uses curd so it's not really "fresh".  I used to buy it at Gigi Mozzarella in Malden, MA and she used whole, unpasteurized milk from New Hampshire.  She pasteurized it with her own equipment and made the mozz by hand.  It was to die for.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:"Vanishing" Foods of New York City 2014/01/13 18:57:56
Old, yes. But, I still miss Ebinger's chocolate "blackout" layer cake.
bartl
Re:"Vanishing" Foods of New York City 2014/01/13 20:11:07
billyboy
1.) Bagels - I've only lived in NYC a little over 10 years but I think there are many worthy bagel shops.

Then you've probably never had a real bagel; just those bready versions, initially made popular by H&H Bagels. Real bagels are smaller, and a LOT of gluten.

Bart

CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:"Vanishing" Foods of New York City 2014/01/14 02:43:47
The best bagels find the way to New Jersey...

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:"Vanishing" Foods of New York City 2014/01/14 11:09:33
A bagel with bacon? That's just so wrong.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:"Vanishing" Foods of New York City 2014/01/14 11:14:24
I have no need to be "right"...

Just happy.
Poverty Pete
Re:"Vanishing" Foods of New York City 2014/01/14 11:51:08
They make fresh mozzarella in New York, too?
ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
Re:"Vanishing" Foods of New York City 2014/01/14 12:48:45
Michael Hoffman

Never has being so wrong been so delicious.
seocom
Hamburger
Re:"Vanishing" Foods of New York City 2014/01/14 12:53:48
Michael Hoffman

Actually, just about ANYTHING with bacon is just so GREAT...

Stan...
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
Re:"Vanishing" Foods of New York City 2014/01/14 13:05:13
I must be older than I thought. A lot of those foods resonated
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:"Vanishing" Foods of New York City 2014/01/14 16:27:08
New Yorkers often believe Manhattan is an island or something.

In the case of the black & white cookie...there just aren't many bakeries on Manhattan that aren't big designer productions or little boutiques ...that could be bothered with a black & white cookie.

Several over here including Abbate Bakery in Matawan are bothered fresh & daily...

post edited by CCinNJ - 2014/01/14 17:06:07
agnesrob
Re:"Vanishing" Foods of New York City 2014/01/14 20:47:48
If a bagel with bacon or better yet Taylor ham is wrong, I don't want to be right!
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
Re:"Vanishing" Foods of New York City 2014/01/14 22:29:06
With you on the Taylor ham
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
Re:"Vanishing" Foods of New York City 2014/01/15 09:26:45
If "wrong" was a highway, you guys couldn't even find the on ramp. 

CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:"Vanishing" Foods of New York City 2014/01/15 09:54:35
Here's a delicious neutral bagel with a beautiful tan from Eli's bagels...

CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:"Vanishing" Foods of New York City 2014/01/15 15:21:33
billyboy

5.) Vastedda - spleen sandwich, never tried 
6.) Pike Quenelle - never heard of until I read this article
7.) Stukel

For being a midwesterner I have enjoyed 17 of those listed with those being the only 3 I had to look up
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
Re:"Vanishing" Foods of New York City 2014/01/15 17:12:48
Stukel was the only familiar one of three
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:"Vanishing" Foods of New York City 2014/01/15 17:54:21
Pike Quenelles used to be a staple menu item in every "classy" restaurant in NYC when I was younger. Essentially a French dish, made correctly, the quenelle would melt in your mouth.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:"Vanishing" Foods of New York City 2014/01/15 19:06:28
CCinNJ

In the case of the black & white cookie...there just aren't many bakeries on Manhattan that aren't big designer productions or little boutiques ...that could be bothered with a black & white cookie.

Several over here including Abbate Bakery in Matawan are bothered fresh & daily...

This outfit in MA makes them as good as any available in greater NYC 50 years ago and they sell them throughout the US to other retailers - we get ours at Buskens Bakery in Cinci:
http://www.superiorcake.com/
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:"Vanishing" Foods of New York City 2014/01/15 19:08:12
They are also baked directly at Marx Bagel in Blue Ash a Cinci suburb but they are not near as good as Superior's product.   They also make Jewish rye bread but it also does not hold a candle to the Jewish Rye that was available in greater NY many years ago.  However Marx makes as good a kosher bagel and bialy that was available in greater NY long ago.

The American Israelite » Tradition, history and tasty classics at Marx Hot Bagels

I could never say enough good things about their bagels and bialys...
post edited by NYPIzzaNut - 2014/01/15 19:15:13
ken8038
Re:"Vanishing" Foods of New York City 2014/01/15 20:42:00
I'm not big on pastry or sweets, but my exception is Black & White cakes, which was a favorite in my Brooklyn youth and still is today.

The two best I encountered for the first time in 2013 were Mother's Bakery in the Bronx (as a dessert after a throwback lunch at Liebman's Deli right next door), and The Donut Pub on W 14th Street.

Needless to say, both these places are over 50 years old.

About Stukel, after reading the article, I see it's another name for Knoblewurst. OK, now I know it, just never heard it called Stukel. I do recall trying it once at the 2nd Avenue Deli and it reminded me of Knockwurst, which I'm not a fan of, much as I like most other wursts.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:"Vanishing" Foods of New York City 2014/01/15 22:13:01
NYPIzzaNut

CCinNJ

This outfit in MA makes them as good as any available in greater NYC 50 years ago and they sell them throughout the US to other retailers - we get ours at Buskens Bakery in Cinci:
http://www.superiorcake.com/

The iconic NYC "black & white" cookie is alive and well in Dallas at a small number of deli's & bakeries. Most notably at Deli-News.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:"Vanishing" Foods of New York City 2014/01/15 23:47:42
Liebman's is a fantastic hidden gem in the Bronx.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:"Vanishing" Foods of New York City 2014/01/16 00:39:48
Great Sicilian pizza as it used to be on a consistent basis is a lilttle vulnerable thanks to Grandma...

post edited by CCinNJ - 2014/01/16 00:46:59
ken8038
Re:"Vanishing" Foods of New York City 2014/01/16 09:07:26
Just to clarify, what  I referred to as Black and White "Cakes" is what everyone else here is calling Black and White "Cookies", not Brooklyn Blackout Cakes, which is a whole other thing.

In my house they were always "Cakes" not "Cookies". I just asked my wife what she called them, and she said simply "Black and Whites".

So there you go, 3 variations.
pnwchef
Re:"Vanishing" Foods of New York City 2014/01/16 10:13:57
A Knish from a street vendor in NYC last year, it made my day........He asked, you want mustard.....yes, I want mustard..Salt and pepper too.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:"Vanishing" Foods of New York City 2014/01/16 17:54:31
Folks can keep their potato knishes. Fill my flaky knishes with chopped liver.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:"Vanishing" Foods of New York City 2014/01/16 18:03:46
pnwchef

A Knish from a street vendor in NYC last year, it made my day........He asked, you want mustard.....yes, I want mustard..Salt and pepper too.

I've never heard of mustard on a knish before, but since I love both of them, I will have to give it a try some time. Sounds like a yummy combination!
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:"Vanishing" Foods of New York City 2014/01/16 18:15:15
I loved my late grandmothers (baked, not fried) potato and onion knishes. Everything was made from scratch! She also made chopped liver knishes and kasha knishes but the potato and onion were my favorite. Before my grandparents, mom, and all 11 aunts and uncles came to America from Odessa, Russia, she actually grew her own potatoes and onions!
Knishes.....
http://www.google.com/sea...p;biw=1440&bih=821
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:"Vanishing" Foods of New York City 2014/01/16 18:16:57
I loved a good strong, Jewish deli mustard with my knish.
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:"Vanishing" Foods of New York City 2014/01/16 18:52:51
LOVE chopped liver!!!!!!!!

Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:"Vanishing" Foods of New York City 2014/01/16 19:28:09
I do as well! My Grandmother made real old fashioned "from the old country" chopped liver with gribenes! Oy! To die for spread on a slice of fresh seeded Jewish rye bread with a light schmear of chicken fat and a little extra gribenes on top.
post edited by Twinwillow - 2014/01/16 20:01:36
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
Re:"Vanishing" Foods of New York City 2014/01/16 20:06:16
I remember a deli from my youth that served a massive corn beef sandwich with a layer of chopped liver. Great
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:"Vanishing" Foods of New York City 2014/01/16 20:30:26
Phildelmar

I remember a deli from my youth that served a massive corn beef sandwich with a layer of chopped liver. Great

My favorite sandwich is still chopped liver and pastrami on rye. It used to be that I could go into the Stage Deli on Fairfax in L.A. and just order a Joey Bishop, but they are gone now. These days I usually order a two meat sandwich and have them make it up. A combination made in Heaven!
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:"Vanishing" Foods of New York City 2014/01/16 20:44:23
EdSails

Phildelmar

My favorite sandwich is still chopped liver and pastrami on rye. It used to be that I could go into the Stage Deli on Fairfax in L.A. and just order a Joey Bishop, but they are gone now. These days I usually order a two meat sandwich and have them make it up. A combination made in Heaven!

Are you talking about Los Angeles? The only deli I remember on Fairfax Avenue is Canters. Never knew of a Stage Deli on Fairfax in LA.
http://www.cantersdeli.com/
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:"Vanishing" Foods of New York City 2014/01/16 22:18:02
Twinwillow

EdSails

Phildelmar

Are you talking about Los Angeles? The only deli I remember on Fairfax Avenue is Canters. Never knew of a Stage Deli on Fairfax in LA.
http://www.cantersdeli.com/

When I was growing up, there were three major delis on Fairfax. Canters was, and is, the "tourist/film/music industry" hangout. most of the Jewish people and others who appreciated real deli food either went to the Bagel Deli or the Stage Deli. Canter's is north of Beverly Blvd. while those two were south, in what these days has turned into a section of Fairfax with Ethiopian restaurants and shops. The Stage was somewhat of a hangout for show biz people, but ones who wanted the real thing. All the sandwiches were named after customers----Jack Benny, Joey Bishop, etc. The Bagel was just a really good traditional deli. Both of those, IMHO, were much better than Canters. Eventually that section of Fairfax south of Olympic changed into what is officially called "Little Ethiopia", but by then they were both long gone. 

The Bagel Deli

CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:"Vanishing" Foods of New York City 2014/01/16 23:36:32
For me....

One = just... a black & white

More than one = black & white cookies

But the crumb of a black & white should be like cake.

These days Blackouts are usually cupcakes or donuts in NYC.
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
Re:"Vanishing" Foods of New York City 2014/01/17 00:20:10
Ed,
I'm in southern California next month teaching two classes at our LA campus. Here's where I get my pastrami fix:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD_jyvcUGaQ  for a pastrami dip
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll49yVhBOCA    for a 19

CSD
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:"Vanishing" Foods of New York City 2014/01/17 00:27:29
chicagostyledog

Ed,
I'm in southern California next month teaching two classes at our LA campus. Here's where I get my pastrami fix:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD_jyvcUGaQ  for a pastrami dip
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll49yVhBOCA    for a 19

CSD

Good choices, CSD. I've been to Johnnies many times---used to work down the street from them at Sony Pictures. Langer's of course......still the best pastrami around. I had noticed you were going to be here and was going to message you on FB. Maybe you'll have time to meet me for a meal!