Central Oklahoma Roadfood

Pedro12345
  • Total Posts : 25
  • Reward points : 0
Central Oklahoma Roadfood - Tue, 04/6/04 2:43 PM
It appears that Oklahoma is a much neglected area of this board and as a new member I feel that is it my duty to inform you of all the great food we have around here (reviewed places are not listed):

Oklahoma City:
Abraham's Western-Fried Onion Burgers--Best Burgers in OK period!
Someplace Else Deli--Got to try the pastrami on ry with melted swiss, but save room for the fresh baked cookies.
Saigon Baguette (aka Milk Bottle Building)--great Vietnamese subs on crusty french bread
Coits Root Beer Stand--3 in the city, great burgers, homemade root beer, and original drive-in atmosphere
Crescent Drug Lunch Counter--Great Burgers and Shakes 50's lunch counter style

Stillwater:
Coney Island--Get the Crawdaddy with Chili, cheese, Fritos and green tabasco
Eskimo Joe's--a college hangout where the cheese fries are a must
Bad Brad's BBQ--there are a couple of these around the state, this is the best for its hunitng lodge decor and OSU Spirit
Hideaway Pizza--again this has expanded around the state, but the original in Stillwater still uses the vintage ovens

Okarche:
Eichen's Bar--the best fried chicken and okra in the state

Chickasha:
Roy's BBQ--Forget about Jake's, Roy's is the true Chickasha king of BBQ

I would love to hear your comments and certainly your additions

signman
  • Total Posts : 1743
RE: Central Oklahoma Roadfood - Tue, 04/6/04 4:04 PM
I was only in Oklahoma City once, but I can still taste that sweet creamy root beer at Coits. I also remember a great root beer stand in Tulsa. What is it about central Oklahoma then, that it is a root beer hotbed?

Ralph Isbill
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: Central Oklahoma Roadfood - Tue, 04/6/04 5:01 PM
Welcome to Pedro12345!! Good to have a fellow Okie on board.
I have been singing the praises of Oklahoma roadfood for some time now. Your help will be welcomed.

tiki
  • Total Posts : 4135
RE: Central Oklahoma Roadfood - Tue, 04/6/04 8:39 PM
I second that welcome, Pedro----glad to see more Okies--heard about Eichens and the chicken----gonna have to get out of Rentiesville long enough to check it out. Here tell theres a place out in the panhandle that does a Chicken Fried steak with New Mexico style green sauce unstead it gravy that i HAVE to get to!

Ralph Isbill
RE: Central Oklahoma Roadfood - Tue, 04/6/04 11:03 PM
How could I forget Tiki? Can I plead old age? Sorry about that. If you need me I will be in the corner, thinking about my omission.

Ralph Isbill
RE: Central Oklahoma Roadfood - Wed, 04/7/04 2:23 AM
Pedro12345, I can add a few
Oklahoma City
Mr Sprigs BBQ
2800 S. Air Depot
Midwest City, OK
405-733-8578
Call before you come by (They are moving after many years, new shopping being built).

Caseys Cajun Fried Catfish
2820 S Douglas
Midwest City
405-732-4616
Call before comming (Odd hours)

Poblano Grill
1909 S. Douglas Blvd.
Midwest City, OK
405-741-9494

Tacos San Pedro
2301 S.W. 44th Street
Oklahoma City, OK
405-682-1179

Fulton Fried Pies
3721 N.W. 50th Street
Oklahoma City
405-946-0881
There is also a Fulton Fried Pie on I-35 at Ardmore

Okmulgee Oklahoma

Hillbilly
  • Total Posts : 992
RE: Central Oklahoma Roadfood - Wed, 04/7/04 8:31 AM
"R.J.'s" on Sante Fe is a great pure Roadfood eating establishment. And I am a big fan of "Hideaway Pizza", "Pearl's", "Charcoal Oven", "Johnny's Hamburgers" and "Classen Grill". Not to mention the Blue Ribbon special steak at "Cattlemen's Cafe".

I forgot to mention--all of these are in Oklahoma City.

Bill B.
  • Total Posts : 322
RE: Central Oklahoma Roadfood - Wed, 04/7/04 10:27 AM
I have a question for you Oklahoma folks. About 20 years ago, I ate at a buffet near Lake Tenkiller. The restaurant was a big place, up on a hill, and of all things it featured live music played on a calliope. Talk about bizarre! Can anybody tell me the name of that place? As I recall, it was regionally famous.

tamandmik
  • Total Posts : 949
RE: Central Oklahoma Roadfood - Wed, 04/7/04 2:16 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Pedro12345

It appears that Oklahoma is a much neglected area of this board and as a new member I feel that is it my duty to inform you of all the great food we have around here (reviewed places are not listed):

Saigon Baguette (aka Milk Bottle Building)--great Vietnamese subs on crusty french bread

I would love to hear your comments and certainly your additions

Tell me more about Vietnamese Subs. They sound very interesting.

Pedro12345
RE: Central Oklahoma Roadfood - Wed, 04/7/04 5:34 PM
Hey Ralph and everyone,

Just to get it out there the other root beer place is Weber's and it is on 71st St. in Tulsa. The good thing about Weber's is that you can take home a 2 Liter.

Good Suggestions Ralph--many of those places I have been to. I LOOOOVE Mr. Spriggs and simply forgot to put that on my list.

A couple of other places I forgot:

Del City:
Tom's BBQ--off 1-35 and NE 10th--Its basically a shack where they serve BBQ on old school lunch trays. The best part is they are a "Prison Times" Newspaper distributor--that's some good lunch reading!

Del Taco--15th and Sunnylane--Like a better, kitchier version of Taco Bell

Hillbilly: I have heard about RJ's and will make it a priority to get over there

Tamandmilk: Viet. Subs are crusty french loaves filled with your choice of Vietnamese barbecued meat, fresh veggies (peppers, carrots, etc) and cilantro. The Saigon Baguette is $2 per sandwich--no tax. Each is about 8" long and is pretty filling.

Has anyone been to either Cafe Du Brazil or Meiki's Route 66? Any thoughts?

Pedro12345
RE: Central Oklahoma Roadfood - Wed, 04/7/04 5:37 PM
Good call on Charcoal Oven also--love that sign and those curly fries.

Howard Baratz
  • Total Posts : 445
RE: Central Oklahoma Roadfood - Wed, 04/7/04 5:44 PM
quote:
Originally posted by signman
I also remember a great root beer stand in Tulsa.

signman:
The Tulsa root beer stand in question must've been Weber's on Peoria.

And the Tulsa contingent of Roadfood.com (I'm pretty sure that's me) also wishes to extend a hearty welcome to Pedro.

Ralph Isbill
RE: Central Oklahoma Roadfood - Wed, 04/7/04 9:41 PM
I haven't been to Toms bbq in many a year, the last time that I was there Andy Coats was OKC's DA. and his office staff was there. The sauce is too sweet for me. Also there is Mr "T" on NE 23rd. They and Mr Sprigs are kinfolk, and they have great bbq. leave the 911 sauce alone or be ready to call 911

HDtravlr1
  • Total Posts : 288
RE: Central Oklahoma Roadfood - Wed, 04/7/04 11:06 PM
Bill B.
That would be Fin and Feather Resort. I heard they still have a good buffet.

http://www.finandfeatherresort.com/index.html

vinegarpie
  • Total Posts : 20
RE: Central Oklahoma Roadfood - Wed, 04/7/04 11:43 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Bill B.

I have a question for you Oklahoma folks. About 20 years ago, I ate at a buffet near Lake Tenkiller. The restaurant was a big place, up on a hill, and of all things it featured live music played on a calliope. Talk about bizarre! Can anybody tell me the name of that place? As I recall, it was regionally famous.

Yikes, this brings up long repressed memories. I lived in Paradise Hill, the home of the Fin and Feather for three years, and smelled its cooking 365 days a year (I can still smell it as I sit here in Wisconsin). Its Hawaiian Luau javascript:insertsmilie('')
javascript:insertsmilie('')and Mexican theme nights were down right scary. However, in two years I never was able to stump the old guy playing calliope. He knew the Stones' 'Paint it Black' and even some disco numbers by heart. I literally have not thought of the place since the day I moved away.

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15059
RE: Central Oklahoma Roadfood - Thu, 04/8/04 4:01 AM

I have to add Van's Pig Stand in Shawnee. We have hit it several times in the past 10 years, and have yet to have a bad experience.

wanderingjew
  • Total Posts : 7382
RE: Central Oklahoma Roadfood - Thu, 04/8/04 7:34 AM
Can't forget Leo's BBQ in OK City....I've only been there once, and the experience was outstanding!

tiki
RE: Central Oklahoma Roadfood - Thu, 04/8/04 8:12 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Howard Baratz

quote:

signman:

And the Tulsa contingent of Roadfood.com (I'm pretty sure that's me) also wishes to extend a hearty welcome to Pedro.

Howard--you ever been into the White River Fish Market and Resteraunt? Stumbled into it when i was brand new to OK and had to pick someone up at the airport. Got up there early and was looking for a lunch to to kill time. I LOVED it! Been around a long time too--i do so enjoy seeing a sing that brags of opening in 1938! I had a great "Seafood platter" that i really was NOT expecting to find in Tulsa Ok. And ditto to Hideaway---best pizza west of the NE coastline!---not counting Chicago pizza---but thats a different animal anyway.

hungovergourmet
  • Total Posts : 188
RE: Central Oklahoma Roadfood - Thu, 04/8/04 9:42 AM
Ah, Oklahoma roadfood... my brother lives in Ponca City (which is about an hour south of Wichita so it's probably not considered central OK) and I've had some great eats while visiting out there.

Bad Brad's in Pawhuksa was fantastic and I love Don's House of Polish Sausage which is located in a strip mall by the minor league baseball stadium in Tulsa.

In Ponca, I can heartily recommend Dugan's BBQ and Head Country. In fact, I just got in my case of Head Country BBQ sauce yesterday! (A few bottles of which will be given as door prizes at next week's Baltimore Crabcake Meet & Eat!)

Other good places in Ponca include Enrique's which is a Mexican eatery located at the Ponca airport (get takeout because the restaurant doesn't serve booze and what's good, spicy Mexican food without an ice cold beer?).

And it might not be roadfood per se, but the steaks at the Rusty Barrell (not sure what the extra "L" is for, but it's right there on the matchbook!) were superb.

Ah, you're making my mouth water just thinking about all the good meals I've had out there!

Bill B.
  • Total Posts : 322
RE: Central Oklahoma Roadfood - Thu, 04/8/04 9:44 AM
Thanks, HDtravlr1 and vinegarpie! That's the place. I wonder if they still have the calliope? As I recall, their food was totally unimpressive.

Pedro12345
RE: Central Oklahoma Roadfood - Thu, 04/8/04 10:12 AM
Thanks for the welcome Howard, so what are the places to hit in Tulsa?

Has anyone been to Metro Diner?

Trevor

wanderingjew
  • Total Posts : 7382
RE: Central Oklahoma Roadfood - Thu, 04/8/04 10:17 AM
quote:

Trevor

I went there about 8 years ago. If I can recall, I had a very good chicken fried steak

Lone Star
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: Central Oklahoma Roadfood - Thu, 04/8/04 3:29 PM
McGeehee's Catfish in Marietta - we have gone there once a year since the 70's during family reunions at Lake Texhoma. Best catfish ever, all you can eat, served family style.

Our family record was seven platter of fish ( I was a teenager) after a day spent swimming at Turner Falls.

Howard Baratz
RE: Central Oklahoma Roadfood - Thu, 04/8/04 4:54 PM
quote:
Originally posted by tiki

quote:

quote:

signman:

Howard--you ever been into the White River Fish Market and Resteraunt? Stumbled into it when i was brand new to OK and had to pick someone up at the airport. Got up there early and was looking for a lunch to to kill time. I LOVED it! Been around a long time too--i do so enjoy seeing a sing that brags of opening in 1938! I had a great "Seafood platter" that i really was NOT expecting to find in Tulsa Ok. And ditto to Hideaway---best pizza west of the NE coastline!---not counting Chicago pizza---but thats a different animal anyway.

Tiki:

I get to the White River a couple of times a month. As the name indicates, White River is a retail fish market on one side and a seafood restaurant on the other. Although primarily known for their fried fish platters, the White River does great grilled fish, wonderful Red Beans and Rice (uniquely served with a dollop of Chili on top) and my favorite Gumbo this side of New Orleans. I rarely have enough room (more a testament to the large portions than my small appetite) but White River also has fine NY Cheesecake and very tasty Sweet Potato Pie.

P.S. I know from previous posts that you are buddies with the great Oklahoma bluesman, D.C. Minner. I'm sure you are aware that we Tulsans recently lost our own local blues treasure, Flash Terry. Very sad, indeed.

Howard Baratz
RE: Central Oklahoma Roadfood - Thu, 04/8/04 5:02 PM
quote:

Trevor

The Metro on 11th Street (aka the famous Route 66) does the retro '50's diner thing very well. A beautiful stainless steel railroad car replica with fine home cooking, great malts and shakes served out of chilled metal tumblers, and real "blasts from the past" on the jukebox. I'll post some more Tulsa suggestions shortly.

tiki
RE: Central Oklahoma Roadfood - Thu, 04/8/04 5:24 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Lone Star

McGeehee's Catfish in Marietta - we have gone there once a year since the 70's during family reunions at Lake Texhoma. Best catfish ever, all you can eat, served family style.

Our family record was seven platter of fish ( I was a teenager) after a day spent swimming at Turner Falls.

Gotta get over there!!Youve mentioned it before---think i will put it on my calander noe for the next trip thought there.--think i will be selling Tshirts at an event near there soon---maybe a snake round up.

tiki
RE: Central Oklahoma Roadfood - Thu, 04/8/04 5:35 PM
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

signman:

Tiki:

I get to the White River a couple of times a month. As the name indicates, White River is a retail fish market on one side and a seafood restaurant on the other. Although primarily known for their fried fish platters, the White River does great grilled fish, wonderful Red Beans and Rice (uniquely served with a dollop of Chili on top) and my favorite Gumbo this side of New Orleans. I rarely have enough room (more a testament to the large portions than my small appetite) but White River also has fine NY Cheesecake and very tasty Sweet Potato Pie.

P.S. I know from previous posts that you are buddies with the great Oklahoma bluesman, D.C. Minner. I'm sure you are aware that we Tulsans recently lost our own local blues treasure, Flash Terry. Very sad, indeed.

Tulsa has lost a great blues man with the passing of Flash Terry---he will be sorely missed. He and D>C are/were close friends and admirers of each others style. Flash played guitar with Bobby Blue Bland for years---which is where i first saw him but didnt know that it was him till we had met out here at DC's annual festival---which Flash player every year till his retirement 18 mos ago. I did not make it the funeral but DC and Selby did and several others from Friends Of Rentiesville Blues---FOR Blues---( the non profit i work with).

Anyway--the next time im headed up that way i will let you know---will be selling Tees shirts that my son makes at the Indoor flea market at the Exposition center soonon saturdays---LETS TO LUNCH!--or actually an early dinner as i get out of the flea market at about 3.

Howard Baratz
RE: Central Oklahoma Roadfood - Thu, 04/8/04 6:23 PM
quote:

Trevor

These are a few of my Tulsa favorites:

Mario's NY Style Pizza - Being an ex-New Yorker, a good pizza place is a must. I like Hideaway (which receives much praise on this site) but to me Mario's is the real deal. Pizza, Calzones, and Sausage, Onion and Pepper and Meatball Parm Heroes that bring me back to that taste of NY. Now how about Katz' Deli opening an outpost in Tulsa?

Ron's Burgers and Chili - A unique approach to burgers that is 180 degrees away from my usual love of thick, medium rare burgers. These 1/3 lb. patties are smashed down and cooked until their edges are crunchy and are somehow delicious. A side order of Spanish Fries (fries with fried (not breaded) onions and jalapenos mixed in) are a special Ron's treat. Ron's also serves fine chili in their very tasty 3-ways.

Ri-Le Vietnamese - Ri Le came to Tulsa in the early '80's and opened his first restaurant in a converted donut shop. He's now in fancier digs but is still serving truly fresh and interesting Vietnamese cuisine. Lots of vegeterian choices and tofu dishes that will satisfy even the meat lovers (like me) out there.

Big Daddy's BBQ - Big Daddy comes by his nickname honestly. He's a big man with a big personality and a big talent for smoking meat. All of the que is good but you've got to try a Big Big Daddy Potato (that's the dish's name, not a typo). Huge potatoes are smoked (not baked) until cooked all the way through, split open and topped with a mixture of butter, ranch dressing, Big Daddy's homemade barbeque sauce, and 4 or 5 types of smoked meat. Devastating!

Cancun Mexican - Huge, delicious burritos (my favorite is the Chili Verde), along with numerous tasty Mexican dishes and soups. Tulsa has many very good Mexican restaurants but this is the one to which I always return.

White River Fish Market - Details in the post above.

Pedro12345
RE: Central Oklahoma Roadfood - Thu, 04/8/04 6:44 PM
YES--Ron's recently opened up an OKC location about 2 miles from my house--I never get the Spanish Fires because I can't rsist the lure of the chili cheese fries.

I always get the small burger so I can eat the large platter of fries!

2 More in OKC:
Beverly's--Home of pancakes and the big BevBurger
Moe's Diner--50th and MacArthur--Fabulous breakfasts

One more in Stillwater:
Shortcakes--24 hr diner--cheap prices, HUGE portions, was great as a study break (OH I want to OSU btw--hence my familiarity with the Stillwater roadfood)

Howard Baratz
RE: Central Oklahoma Roadfood - Thu, 04/8/04 7:44 PM
quote:

Anyway--the next time im headed up that way i will let you know---will be selling Tees shirts that my son makes at the Indoor flea market at the Exposition center soonon saturdays---LETS TO LUNCH!--or actually an early dinner as i get out of the flea market at about 3.

Tiki:

That sounds great. Let me know when you are going to be in Tulsa.

signman
  • Total Posts : 1743
RE: Central Oklahoma Roadfood - Thu, 04/8/04 10:43 PM
Howard, Yes the Root Beer stand was Weber's. Is that their only location. Don't have a real clear memory, but taste was not as good as at Coits.

Like I said, I have been to Oklahoma only once, but with my copy of Roadfood in hand, my first stop after flying in was at Murphy's up in Bartlesville for some kind of garbage plate, chopped up hamburger, onions and potatoes piled high on a plate and covered with gravy. Anyone else been to Murphy's. Is it still there?

Howard Baratz
RE: Central Oklahoma Roadfood - Fri, 04/9/04 11:25 AM
quote:

Howard, Yes the Root Beer stand was Weber's. Is that their only location. Don't have a real clear memory, but taste was not as good as at Coits.

Like I said, I have been to Oklahoma only once, but with my copy of Roadfood in hand, my first stop after flying in was at Murphy's up in Bartlesville for some kind of garbage plate, chopped up hamburger, onions and potatoes piled high on a plate and covered with gravy. Anyone else been to Murphy's. Is it still there?

Weber's now has 3 locations in Tulsa but the original on Peoria is housed in a hideous bright orange building and is the one.

I ate at Murphy's about 2 years ago and, as far as I know, it is still there today. The dish you describe is Murphy's claim to fame, simply known as the Hot Hamburger Platter.

Pedro12345
RE: Central Oklahoma Roadfood - Fri, 04/9/04 4:57 PM
OH WOW that sounds good

Bushie
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Central Oklahoma Roadfood - Fri, 04/9/04 7:07 PM
Great thread, guys!!

I picked up a bunch of places to add to my list.

--Bushie, in Baja Oklahoma

tiki
RE: Central Oklahoma Roadfood - Mon, 04/12/04 7:45 AM
quote:
Originally posted by i95

Just a "note-of-gloat" here to say that one week from today I'll be high atop Fenway Park's Green Monster sitting in some of Major League Baseball's most desired new seats, eating some Fenway Franks and watching the Boston Red Sox crush the dreaded New York Yankees.

I can barely wait!

Go Sox!!!!! Eat a dog for me----Gouldens spicy,relish and onions!

i95
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Central Oklahoma Roadfood - Mon, 04/12/04 7:55 AM
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by i95

Just a "note-of-gloat" here to say that one week from today I'll be high atop Fenway Park's Green Monster sitting in some of Major League Baseball's most desired new seats, eating some Fenway Franks and watching the Boston Red Sox crush the dreaded New York Yankees.

I can barely wait!

Thanks, tiki, and a belated congratulations on your recent 1,000th post!! I messed-up, however. My post (re. Green Monster seats) was supposed to go on wanderingjew's baseball park thread: http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3146 . I've since moved it but thank you for the Red Sox Nation encouragement.

tiki
RE: Central Oklahoma Roadfood - Mon, 04/12/04 12:34 PM
Hey---you know i didnt even notice i'd hit 1000!!! I think that calls for a night out---cooked catfish last night so road trip to Merrietta is out---maybe its time to take Janie to JM's in Eufalla

Cactus Jack
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Central Oklahoma Roadfood - Sun, 08/22/04 11:55 AM
Oh man you people are making me hungry.

I will have to agree that if you are a 50s fan Metro Diner in Tulsa is the place to go. The waitresses used to wear the Poodle skirts however in the last couple of years they have gone by the wayside. The food there is great and the chocolate shakes are incredible.

Mario's Pizza is the only place in Tulsa that I know that makes real pizza just like the way I used to get it back east. (I am originally from PA)

As for Muskogee eats try Speedway Grill at 2010 W Okmulgee. Prices are reasonable and they have a 50/50 beef/sausage burger that is awesome especially with the cheese, green pepper and onions.

Howard Baratz
RE: Central Oklahoma Roadfood - Mon, 08/23/04 2:52 PM
Jack:

Welcome!

Is Slick's BBQ still open in Muskogee? I believe I heard that Slick had retired/died fairly recently.

tiki
RE: Central Oklahoma Roadfood - Tue, 08/24/04 3:26 PM
quote:

Jack:

Welcome!

Is Slick's BBQ still open in Muskogee? I believe I heard that Slick had retired/died fairly recently.

Slicks is gone

Howard Baratz
RE: Central Oklahoma Roadfood - Tue, 08/24/04 4:19 PM
Tiki:

Thanks for the sad info. In its day, Slick's was a great place. Although my wife loves to point out that cleanliness-wise it was the most disgusting restaurant she ever ate at, she has to admit they served some of the best brisket and sweet potato pie ever. We used to stop there on our way to Muskogee's beautiful Azalea Festival in Honor Heights Park.

tiki
RE: Central Oklahoma Roadfood - Tue, 08/24/04 10:11 PM
quote:

Tiki:

Thanks for the sad info. In its day, Slick's was a great place. Although my wife loves to point out that cleanliness-wise it was the most disgusting restaurant she ever ate at, she has to admit they served some of the best brisket and sweet potato pie ever. We used to stop there on our way to Muskogee's beautiful Azalea Festival in Honor Heights Park.

Howard--next time though Muskogee,try Smokehouse Bobs on 11th street---just south of the Shawnee bypass(and the new super walmart)--its excellent, and the mrs. makes a KILLER sweet potato pie---and it clean too! Theres also a great little ---very quiet--but very good soulfood place on Shawnee-Stewarts Diner---olny openb from noon to 5 and the most expensive meal in the place is less then $5!! Several plate at 3.95!----and you should also try to check out Honor Heights at Christmas---its fabulous---millions of lights---they actually try to recreate the azaleas in lights----a wonderful delight---and while your there stop in at the Five Civilized Tribes Museum at the top of the Hill and say hi to Janie---my wife!

Howard Baratz
RE: Central Oklahoma Roadfood - Wed, 08/25/04 9:48 AM
Tiki:

Thanks for the tips. They sound right up our alley. If we head that way again I'll be sure to stop in and say hi to Janie.

Howard

m2violin
  • Total Posts : 26
RE: Central Oklahoma Roadfood - Wed, 09/8/04 5:24 PM
Here are some Oklahoma City places I enjoy:

Oklahoma County Line-1226 NE 63rd Street (take the Kelly Avenue exit off I-44, north on Kelly to 63rd, then east on 63rd -- restaurant is on your right). Great barbecue -- I enjoy the coleslaw which comes with your meal. They start you off with a small loaf of homemade bread. Not far from the Cowboy Hall of Fame.

Bricktown Brewery-1 N. Oklahoma Ave. in historic Bricktown. Excellent beer (they have beer samplers), big portions.

Lido, 2518 North Military Avenue, Suite 101 in a little strip mall off NW 23rd Street (in the Little Saigon area). Take Classen north off 23rd, and it will be on your right about one block off 23rd. It's a bit hidden, but well worth the effort. Great Vietnamese food at a reasonable price. My mother raved about this place!

Pearl's Oyster Bar -- I've been to the location at 928 NW 63rd. Good Cajun-style seafood.

i95
RE: Central Oklahoma Roadfood - Thu, 10/21/04 7:41 AM
quote:
Originally posted by i95

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by i95

I can barely wait!

Thanks, tiki, and a belated congratulations on your recent 1,000th post!! I messed-up, however. My post (re. Green Monster seats) was supposed to go on wanderingjew's baseball park thread: http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3146 . I've since moved it but thank you for the Red Sox Nation encouragement.

RED SOX WIN !!!!!
RED SOX WIN !!!!!
RED SOX WIN !!!!!
RED SOX WIN !!!!!
RED SOX WIN !!!!!
RED SOX WIN !!!!!
RED SOX WIN !!!!!
RED SOX WIN !!!!!
RED SOX WIN !!!!!
RED SOX WIN !!!!!

tiki
RE: Central Oklahoma Roadfood - Thu, 10/21/04 10:19 AM
and the joy has spread all the way out here to Oklahoma!

michaelgemmell
  • Total Posts : 673
RE: Central Oklahoma Roadfood - Thu, 10/21/04 7:03 PM
In 1993 I had a blowout in my car near Wagner, OK, and I was treated with extraordinary kindness and respect. I found Oklahomans just as nice this July, and I just can't help feeling I'm OK when I'm in OK.

My route changed so I didn't pass near you, Tiki, or you would have heard from me with your earlier suggestion of JR's in Eufala.

OK, now, an off-topic question: Is everyone else having trouble getting onto "The Oklahoman's" website? I email them to report the trouble, but no response. Suggestions?

hungovergourmet
RE: Central Oklahoma Roadfood - Thu, 10/21/04 8:05 PM
Hey i95 what'd they win? Heck EVEN the Phillies (the losingest franchise in pro sports history) have won a League Championship Series (or three) in the last 25 years...

Hillbilly
  • Total Posts : 992
RE: Central Oklahoma Roadfood - Fri, 10/22/04 7:26 AM
quote:
Originally posted by michaelgemmell

OK, now, an off-topic question: Is everyone else having trouble getting onto "The Oklahoman's" website? I email them to report the trouble, but no response. Suggestions?

I access it every day and haven't had any trouble. It might be a little slower these days, but what isn't?

i95
RE: Central Oklahoma Roadfood - Fri, 10/22/04 7:57 AM
quote:
Originally posted by hungovergourmet

Hey i95 what'd they win? Heck EVEN the Phillies (the losingest franchise in pro sports history) have won a League Championship Series (or three) in the last 25 years...

WHAT DID THEY WIN ??!!

Oh, I don't know... Maybe the opportunity
to expose "A-Rod" as "A-Fraud" by showing his true
punk colors...

...or that somebody in pinstripes maybe a
tad overpaid for fighting like a girl...

...or that, truly, the dug-out is the
best place for cry babies to pout.

Choose any of those three.

Go Sox !!

i95
RE: Central Oklahoma Roadfood - Fri, 10/22/04 8:06 AM
BTW, my favorite photo of Boston great Carlton Fisk
from a 1999 Red Sox - Yankees match-up at Fenway Park.

I can't put my finger on it but I believe that Ol' "Pudge"
had a message for the Bronx Bombs that day.

i95
RE: Central Oklahoma Roadfood - Fri, 10/22/04 8:21 AM

hungovergourmet
RE: Central Oklahoma Roadfood - Fri, 10/22/04 8:35 AM
LOL!!! As I'm waiting for the page to load I looked down at the progress bar and saw an image named "jetersad.jpg" load. HAHAHAHA... funny stuff.

My take is that if one of the Sox had done the same thing as A-Rod they would've attributed it to gritty, hard-nosed baseball. Because he's an overpaid pretty boy (and it WAS a rather girly slap) everybody in Red Sox Nation has a beef with it.

Man, I just wish you Sox fans would have some passion.

sylvan_tree
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:Central Oklahoma Roadfood - Thu, 04/26/12 1:43 PM
Lived in OKC for about 2 years, from 1996 to 1998, so unless noted Im not sure these places are even still there, but if they are, they are definitely worth the visit!

Several of the places I remember that I loved to eat at are (of course!) Coits Rootbeer Stand. LOVED that place:  the food, the atmosphere, and best of all, the ROOT BEER!

Charcoal Oven on NW Highway, just west of MacArthur, and What-a-burger just a bit south, by what used to be an Albertson's grocery store, but was a Homeland (I think) when I was last there in 2007. Both a bit slow, but they do cook your food to order, and it was worth the wait. Be patient!

Jimmys Egg. I admit, most people seem to roll out of bed and head straight to Jimmys Egg, but that doesnt mean Jimmy's food isnt any good. Just be a little choosy about where you situate yourself in the dining area and you'll be ok.

A Mexican restaurant (Pablos?) ? that as of 2007 was no longer there, but was in the shopping center where the smaller (one door) Walmart used to be (in 2007 was a Chuck-E-Cheese's type of place), on NW Highway, just east of MacArthur. I think they had an All-You-Can-Eat buffet. When you wanted to get the attention of your server, you would raise a little flag on your table, and the server would quickly appear to take care of whatever request you had. My family and I were regulars there before we moved out of state (**sigh**).

A 'fried pies' place, just down the street and across from a Catfish restaurant (Catfish Hut maybe?), I think it was on 63rd street, down from the library. With some more research, I could locate the place because I do remember it fairly vividly, at least where it used to be, but I hope this comment will suffice in allowing someone else's memory to kick in and remember, particularly if its not there anymore. If youre really interested, let me know and I can work on locating it if its still there. Or where it once was. You know how times change...

And if you like whole pies, there's Pioneer Pies farther up NW Highway. They have a restaurant, which is good, but they have many varieties of pie. PIE! Who doesn't love pie?! And you can order online, at least at one time you could...

And even though they're franchise/corporate places, I LOVED Braum's and Sonic!!! There is a Sonic and Braums about every 4 blocks in OKC..

Oh, OKC, How I miss you!
Why did I ever leave that Foodie Paradise...?! Dallas has NOTHING on YOU!

iceomat
  • Total Posts : 97
Re:Central Oklahoma Roadfood - Sat, 05/12/12 12:47 AM
Welcome to the site, sylvan_tree.
I'll give you a bit of an update:
Coit's is still operating but I've heard the quality has gone downhill the last few years.
Charcoal Oven is still there and is as great as ever. I love their mushroom swiss burger and onion rings!
Jimmy's Egg is also still going strong. Some locations are better that others (avoid the one at Hefner and Penn: yuck!).
I think you are referring to Pancho's Mexican Buffet which is a chain. There is still a location on the southside of OKC. Never been to one.
The "fried-pie place" is  Fulton's on NW 50th and Portland. They are really good. I stop at the one in the Arbuckle's whenever I'm heading south on I-35. Catfish Cabin on 63rd and Meridian has gone out of business however, as has the northside Pioneer Pies.
There are a lot of new places in the city making a name for themselves like Big Truck Tacos, Mutt's Hot Dogs, and Tucker's Onion Burgers.

meigancam01
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:Central Oklahoma Roadfood - Wed, 05/16/12 12:46 PM
It is very informative, impressive and well described in above articles about food, so read this read to know food in Oklahoma, which is in very simple way.Thank you for giving this information to us.