How to make Tandori ?

alishaikh
  • Total Posts : 25
  • Reward points : 0
How to make Tandori ? - Thu, 02/6/14 8:03 AM
Is there anyone how can say how to make chicken tandoori in half an hour because it is a task given by my boss to me, please guide me because a single thing what to do.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

brisketboy
  • Total Posts : 1055
Re:How to make Tandori ? - Thu, 02/6/14 9:23 AM
Don't you have to have some kind of special clay pot? Saw this on a cooking show some time back.

kevincad
  • Total Posts : 399
Re:How to make Tandori ? - Thu, 02/6/14 10:20 AM
brisketboy

Don't you have to have some kind of special clay pot? Saw this on a cooking show some time back.

You can make quite serviceable tandoori on a grill or with a broiler, although I think you're right that a clay pot is traditional. This is the one I use on the grill:

http://allrecipes.com/rec...dian-tandoori-chicken/

brisketboy
  • Total Posts : 1055
Re:How to make Tandori ? - Thu, 02/6/14 10:38 AM
Thank you for that kevincad. I'm going to try this as there is an Indian market not too far from my work that carries the spices. I got to liking tandoori having to spend a good deal of time in the UK. I even got used to curry and ate that often. There are so many good Indian eateries here in North Austin one seldom thinks of making it at home but I intend to attempt this.

Root-Beer Man
  • Total Posts : 331
Re:How to make Tandori ? - Thu, 02/6/14 4:09 PM
Here's a piece from Serious Eats on doing it using a grill. 

http://www.seriouseats.co...out-tandoor-grill.html

And, if you want to take it up a notch, here's a piece from Lifehacker on making a Tandoor oven.

http://lifehacker.com/591...-to-the-hardware-store

alishaikh
  • Total Posts : 25
Re:How to make Tandori ? - Mon, 02/17/14 2:38 AM
Thanks for the reply I must say that you have good knowledge about Indian foods....

kevincad
  • Total Posts : 399
Re:How to make Tandori ? - Mon, 02/17/14 7:22 AM
brisketboy

Thank you for that kevincad. I'm going to try this as there is an Indian market not too far from my work that carries the spices. I got to liking tandoori having to spend a good deal of time in the UK. I even got used to curry and ate that often. There are so many good Indian eateries here in North Austin one seldom thinks of making it at home but I intend to attempt this.

I've grown to really love Indian food! I thought curry was curry until I found out the different curries. 

bartl
  • Total Posts : 1208
Re:How to make Tandori ? - Mon, 02/17/14 2:54 PM
Root-Beer Man
Here's a piece from Serious Eats on doing it using a grill. 
http://www.seriouseats.co...out-tandoor-grill.html

I've stolen the trick of making the slices in the chicken with a knife for my jerked chicken; I've even received compliments from Jamaicans about it (based on advice from Jamaican restaurants, I just use Walker's Wood in a plastic bag with the chicken for marination).

A number of years back, my wife bought me a "tandoor" from Williams-Sonoma; I can't even find it anymore. It was kind of like a tagine; it made for an interesting texture to the chicken (firmer but still tender). I asked barbecue author Steve Raichlen about using it to make tandoori chicken by putting it into a kettle grill; he suggested just cooking the chicken using the indirect method in a kettle grill. I use oak chips; it does get good results.

Bart