Hot!Snow Day -Food

Cheeseburger
2014/02/12 13:28:14
Looks like I'll be "snowed-in" at home tomorrow. Already completed my "panic" shopping and plan on making a pot of chili to last a day or two.
What do you prepare on "snow days"?
RKB
Cheeseburger
Re:Snow Day -Food 2014/02/12 13:39:15
Soups. Potato soup is a favorite. Also I am overdue to make a sweet corn/clam  chowder. I just make a basic white clam chowder then stir in some sweet corn, frozen last summer. It is amazingly good. I may do that tomorrow.
rumaki
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Snow Day -Food 2014/02/12 13:52:28
Christmas cookies - regardless of the time of year -- and cocoa.

I never have time to bake cookies during the runup to Christmas, so this is a good time to do it. 

I went to college in Chicago and worked in Rochester, NY for a couple of years, so it takes a lot to keep me from going to work. That said,  I did this once or twice when I lived in Alexandria, VA, in the 1990s, when the roads were truly impassable and public transportation had ground to a halt. 

We rarely have snow days in Minneapolis, of course, but the University of Minnesota canceled classes on January 27 because it was so cold, so I stayed home and baked. 

Re:Snow Day -Food 2014/02/12 14:06:38
I don't make anything particularly special but because I'll have a lot more time it'll be more like a Saturday or Sunday meal.  Maybe something on the rotisserie, some sort of roast...things like that.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Snow Day -Food 2014/02/12 15:05:39
I survived Winter Storm Milo with this soup, this minor squall in the Southeast will be no problem.
Wisconsin Cheddar Beer Soup

In a large saucepan or dutch oven over medium heat, melt 1/4 cup of butter. Stir in 1/4 cup of flour until smooth; cook 1 minute, stirring occasionally.

Stir in 2-1/2 cup of milk, 1 cup of beer, 2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce, 1-1/2 tsp dry mustard, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper. Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes, stirring frequently.

Stir in 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese until melted.

If desired, cut 1/4 pound of
smoked sausage in small cubes, and brown sausage in a skillet over medium heat. Cooked sausage may be stirred into soup or used to individually top bowls. Croƻtons may also served with this soup.
eruby
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Snow Day -Food 2014/02/12 15:19:41
No real special plans for food, though we do have several portions of chili in the freezer.

Let's all keep safe tomorrow and don't over-do it shovelling!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Snow Day -Food 2014/02/12 15:20:31
That Wisconsin Cheddar Beer Soup sounds good.
post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2014/02/12 15:21:52
MellowRoast
Re:Snow Day -Food 2014/02/12 16:07:06
I froze a couple of quarts of chili last month, so I'll probably dine on those until this snow melts off.  Will add slices of smoked sausage to a bowl of chili, top with shredded cheese, and have a side of slaw and cornbread.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Snow Day -Food 2014/02/12 16:15:04
Michael Hoffman

Michael - I couldn't decide on 2 cups of sharp cheddar or 2 cups of smoked Gouda. So I used both today. It was and is good.
Davebassman
Cheeseburger
Re:Snow Day -Food 2014/02/12 16:29:13
Michael Hoffman

I'll "second" Mr. Hoffman on the Cheddar beer Soup!
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:Snow Day -Food 2014/02/12 16:30:34
Seems like every day has been a snow day.  With the exception of a few days, we've had snow on the ground since before Thanksgiving so it's been the usual winter fare for quite sometime.  I'm ready for a green chile cheeseburger! 

FriedClamFanatic
Re:Snow Day -Food 2014/02/12 16:41:06
I practice the ABC's of storm management:

A...lcohol
B...atteries
C...igarettes.....(ok.....Coffee for you you reformed ones!)

Got a full gas grill and a portable generator(more for hurricanes).

Likely to lose power, so soup on the grill or grilled meats are all ready.....no need to worry about them spoiling......I can just put them all in the garage fridge and OPEN the door!

Burgers tonight ( with bacon ground into it and a slice or 2 on top) before everything goes dark
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:Snow Day -Food 2014/02/12 16:45:54
Davebassman

Michael Hoffman

I'll "second" Mr. Hoffman on the Cheddar beer Soup!

I'll "third"!  I was going to do split pea next but I just changed my mind!

felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:Snow Day -Food 2014/02/12 17:50:03
lleechef

Seems like every day has been a snow day.  With the exception of a few days, we've had snow on the ground since before Thanksgiving so it's been the usual winter fare for quite sometime.  I'm ready for a green chile cheeseburger! 

Yeah, we just call it "winter", although I get that for places that don't normally see snow this is an event. And even here we're well above average snowfall, although we haven't really set any records. Schools still haven't had enough snow days to have to make them up yet, though.

I don't much do anything special, but in winter I do tend to gravitate more toward chili, soup, casseroles, stew, crock pot meals, and things that I have to make in the oven for a long time because my house is kept at a ridiculously low temperature.
post edited by felix4067 - 2014/02/12 17:51:12
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:Snow Day -Food 2014/02/12 20:29:06
felix
Michiganders are used to snow!  I remember from living in Traverse City.
In Alaska the 4 seasons are:
Almost Winter
Winter
Still Winter
Construction

CNW
Cheeseburger
Re:Snow Day -Food 2014/02/13 03:47:29
Minnesota has two seasons:

Winter
Mosquito

ChrisOC
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Snow Day -Food 2014/02/13 10:03:40
A nice pot of bigos would last a few days.
agnesrob
Re:Snow Day -Food 2014/02/13 10:29:41
I made chicken stock over the weekend. Today I will make chicken pot pies.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:Snow Day -Food 2014/02/14 01:46:15
It was 81 and sunny today. We went to the beach. What's a snow day?
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:Snow Day -Food 2014/02/14 10:48:46
EdSails

STOP IT!
I hope it snows here when you come to the Cincy Chili Crawl!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Snow Day -Food 2014/02/14 11:23:48
EdSails

That's a shame. My daughter is suffering, too. She's in Scottsdale where she said it was 87 yesterday. What's a snow day? A snow day is a day sent from Heaven for the enjoyment or good people.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:Snow Day -Food 2014/02/14 13:42:30
Michael Hoffman

EdSails

That's a shame. My daughter is suffering, too. She's in Scottsdale where she said it was 87 yesterday. What's a snow day? A snow day is a day sent from Heaven for the enjoyment or good people.

I see. I didn't realize all those people in Atlanta last week were having such a good time!
Pancho
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Snow Day -Food 2014/02/14 13:59:55
EdSails

Michael Hoffman

EdSails

I see. I didn't realize all those people in Atlanta last week were having such a good time!
Hey Ed...did you go to Laguna? I lived there in the 70's and also Capistrano Beach next to Hobie Alter...ocean front for $225 a month (my half)

BelleReve
Re:Snow Day -Food 2014/02/14 18:25:49
Am I allowed to post?  No snow days here, but we came close a couple weeks ago.  I'll just say that on really cold days I make:

chili and cornbread
roast chicken
cookies - oatmeal raisin or chocolate chips
cake or muffins
chicken andouille gumbo - had a cup out yesterday and it was so good, no rice served with it even, and not overly spicy - I never think to make it, but will the next cold front comes through.
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:Snow Day -Food 2014/02/14 18:45:55
BelleReve

Am I allowed to post?  No snow days here, but we came close a couple weeks ago.  I'll just say that on really cold days I make:

chili and cornbread
roast chicken
cookies - oatmeal raisin or chocolate chips
cake or muffins
chicken andouille gumbo - had a cup out yesterday and it was so good, no rice served with it even, and not overly spicy - I never think to make it, but will the next cold front comes through.

Are you allowed to post?  Of course!  You live in one of the culinary meccas in the US.......and you went through Katrina which was much worse than snow.  It gets so blasting hot and humid there in the summer I would pray for "cold days".........bring on the gumbo!   

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Snow Day -Food 2014/02/14 18:52:01
EdSails

Michael Hoffman

EdSails

I feel sorry for those who live in those Southern states where they don't get snow. A life without snow is not a life.

Greymo
Filet Mignon
Re:Snow Day -Food 2014/02/14 18:54:30
A life without snow is a life worth living!
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:Snow Day -Food 2014/02/14 18:57:33
Pancho

EdSails

Michael Hoffman

EdSails

Hey Ed...did you go to Laguna? I lived there in the 70's and also Capistrano Beach next to Hobie Alter...ocean front for $225 a month (my half)

We have mr and mrs chips visiting so took them to Huntington and Newport and finished up in Seal Beach. I had dinner last Saturday night in Laguna Beach. Hamish gets his hair groomed in Capistrano Beach. Dinner in  Laguna Beach was over $225----and I didn't even meet Hobie Alter!" />
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:Snow Day -Food 2014/02/14 19:00:59
Michael Hoffman

EdSails

Michael Hoffman

EdSails

I feel sorry for those who live in those Southern states where they don't get snow. A life without snow is not a life.

Not many Southern States that didn't get it.

Florida is only state in nation with no snow

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Snow Day -Food 2014/02/14 19:19:21
I know. It's so sad. A day without snow is a day that should pass quickly.
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:Snow Day -Food 2014/02/14 19:59:35
I cooked lots of snow day food when I lived in Alaska!  We had years when the first snow came in September and the last snow in May.  That's some serious snow!  I loved it.  But Alaska is equipped for it......our airports never closed, school never closed, we all went to work because the roads were plowed.  For my 45th birthday I decided I wanted to go to Chicken, AK........on the way we took pics of me making snowballs.....on June 15th!
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:Snow Day -Food 2014/02/15 00:08:32
lleechef

I cooked lots of snow day food when I lived in Alaska!  We had years when the first snow came in September and the last snow in May.  That's some serious snow!  I loved it.  But Alaska is equipped for it......our airports never closed, school never closed, we all went to work because the roads were plowed.  For my 45th birthday I decided I wanted to go to Chicken, AK........on the way we took pics of me making snowballs.....on June 15th!

I can't believe that I actually took the time to research why it is called Chicken, AK!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Snow Day -Food 2014/02/15 01:20:05
Being the empathetic guy that I am, I bought some snow day food even though we're having record high days out here. It was 81 today and will be a record 85 degrees tomorrow!
Stocked up on Beans, Hot Dogs, Beer and Toilet Paper!!!
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:Snow Day -Food 2014/02/15 10:36:08
EdSails

lleechef

I can't believe that I actually took the time to research why it is called Chicken, AK!

Because they couldn't spell ptarmigan!
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:Snow Day -Food 2014/02/15 22:07:07
lleechef

EdSails

lleechef

Because they couldn't spell ptarmigan!

That's giving me the State bird!
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:Snow Day -Food 2014/02/20 14:46:27

It's not snowing, but I wanted to try JRPfeff's Wisconsin Beer Soup.  Great stuff.  Thanks Jim!!  (I added peppered bacon.) 
post edited by lleechef - 2014/02/20 14:47:42
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Snow Day -Food 2014/02/20 18:20:36
Yum, Lisa! I had oyster stew( cape cod brand) and garlic knots.......its been raining here all day and everything will freeze tomorrow. I am in for the weekend.
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:Snow Day -Food 2014/02/20 18:25:31
Annie, rainy and dreary all day here, calling for severe thunderstorms tonight........it was a good day for soup.  But then, every day is a good day for soup!!! 
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Snow Day -Food 2014/02/20 18:39:04
It sure was a good day for that soup.
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Snow Day -Food 2014/02/21 07:47:53
I will try Jims recipe, soon. Looks simple and wonderful. I love soup!
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Snow Day -Food 2014/02/21 09:11:45
Lisa,

I'm glad you & Michael liked the soup, I don't think I've ever made it the same way twice. Always a different cheese or beer or meat or spices. I was considering using my leftovers as Rarebit this time.

Jim
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:Snow Day -Food 2014/02/21 10:45:58
JRPfeff

Lisa,

I'm glad you & Michael liked the soup, I don't think I've ever made it the same way twice. Always a different cheese or beer or meat or spices. I was considering using my leftovers as Rarebit this time.

Jim

Leftovers?  What's that?
ALL GOOD
Hamburger
Re:Snow Day -Food 2014/02/21 13:08:08
I have one.... a favorite for snowy days.
Dice up 4 idaho potatos and fry in 1 Tbsp olive oil until crisp.  (try to flip only once).  Add in 1/4 of a diced white onion and 3 Oscar Mayer hot dogs cut into "coins".  Cook on low heat covered until the onions are transparent.  Uncover and place 4 slices of american cheese across the lovely creation in the pan.  Recover(tent) and let steam on low heat to melt the cheese... Best snow day dish ever.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Snow Day -Food 2014/02/21 13:31:10
That sounds good. I don't think I could get it past lleechef as she doesn't like onions or hot dogs. But I expect I'll be making it for myself one of these days.