Discussion Forum security?

Filet Mignon
2014/02/16 12:06:25
Is the forum secure? It seems to be getting penetrated repeatedly by CCV marketers.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:Discussion Forum security? 2014/02/16 12:12:12
I know for one, I am very concerned and most annoyed about all the insidious spamming thats appearing daily on our beloved Roadfood blog.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:Discussion Forum security? 2014/02/16 12:45:15
Me too. As I suggested in another thread, I think the first step would be not to allow new posters to create their own thread until they have, say, 25 posts. That's enough time to see if they are legit or not.
post edited by EdSails - 2014/02/16 15:30:14
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Discussion Forum security? 2014/02/16 13:23:12
Agree, my friends.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Discussion Forum security? 2014/02/16 13:34:36
EdSails

Me too. As I suggested in another forum, I think the first step would be not to allow new posters to create their own thread until they have, say, 25 posts. That's enough time to see if they are legit or not.

I don't think that's good enough . We already have plenty of spam posters who are well past 25 posts. Most seem to have a pre-occupation with the soup  and chicken forum
see my comments below which was quoted from a different thread

Interestlingly enough, mcaffee virus protection now warns me that Roadfood is a suspect website- who knew? 

Since we haven't had any new legitimate members in years I suggest that when new members sign up, there should be a tab requiring a paragraph about why you want to join. I bet this would alleviate all the spam 
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Discussion Forum security? 2014/02/16 14:14:43
Mosca

Is the forum secure? It seems to be getting penetrated repeatedly by CCV marketers.

I check the forum many times a day and I usually catch them in a short.  I ban them, their ISP and all their post.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
bigbear
Hamburger
Re:Discussion Forum security? 2014/02/16 15:28:22
Does the ASPPlayground forum software allow you to restrict the registering process? Just requiring an email response from the registrant's address, to complete the registration process, might help. I know that you probably don't want to subject every registration request to admin review.

I believe that you can also download a file(s) with userids, email addresses and IP addresses of known spammers. With some work, you could preload your ban-filters.
See http://www.stopforumspam.com/.

Just saying.

EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:Discussion Forum security? 2014/02/16 15:31:50
wanderingjew

Since we haven't had any new legitimate members in years I suggest that when new members sign up, there should be a tab requiring a paragraph about why you want to join. I bet this would alleviate all the spam 

It certainly sounds like a good idea to me.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:Discussion Forum security? 2014/02/16 15:33:37
Sundancer7

Mosca

I check the forum many times a day and I usually catch them in a short.  I ban them, their ISP and all their post.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

I think the problem is that there are so many doing it now that you must be inundated. I applaud your diligence but hope the forum will come up with a way to help you out on it.
joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:Discussion Forum security? 2014/02/16 19:50:35
From what I understand, IP addresses from certain problem countries can be blocked entirely.  But, that would mean that the legitimate RF aficionado in Bangladesh, looking for regionally appropriate food in Burma, would have to suffer.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Discussion Forum security? 2014/02/16 19:54:18
That would be a terrible thing to do to a culinarily curious Bangladeshi.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:Discussion Forum security? 2014/02/16 20:24:47
Michael Hoffman

That would be a terrible thing to do to a culinarily curious Bangladeshi.

Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Discussion Forum security? 2014/02/16 21:36:45
joerogo

From what I understand, IP addresses from certain problem countries can be blocked entirely.  But, that would mean that the legitimate RF aficionado in Bangladesh, looking for regionally appropriate food in Burma, would have to suffer.

SO??????????????????