Hot!RoadFood Recommended BBQ

Filet Mignon
2014/02/19 12:07:13
"When they're right, they're right. Jane and Michael Stern of Roadfood declared Chubby's Barbecue in Emmitsburg, Maryland destination dining and man, there's some good eatin' there. Meals are made to order... Read full article"

http://www.examiner.com/a...-is-destination-dining
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:RoadFood Recommended BBQ 2014/02/19 12:25:10
Destination indeed!  We drove about 760 miles RT to eat there and it sure was darn good eatin'!!! 
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:RoadFood Recommended BBQ 2014/02/19 12:27:26
WOW! I might go there sometime.
MellowRoast
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:RoadFood Recommended BBQ 2014/02/19 14:20:20
Great article, congrats, Chewy!  Guess I need to plan a trip northeast.
Greymo
Filet Mignon
Re:RoadFood Recommended BBQ 2014/02/19 14:21:19
Now if he could be on the Roadfood restaurant reviews!  That is what I am waiting to see!!!!!
MellowRoast
Re:RoadFood Recommended BBQ 2014/02/19 14:21:19
joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:RoadFood Recommended BBQ 2014/02/19 17:25:49
Greymo
Now if he could be on the Roadfood restaurant reviews!  That is what I am waiting to see!!!!!

That would be nice.  The review I did was spitefully dumped.
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:RoadFood Recommended BBQ 2014/02/19 17:37:11
MellowRoast

Let us know if you do.......we'll meet you there!  We've been talking about going this summer.

Greymo
Filet Mignon
Re:RoadFood Recommended BBQ 2014/02/19 17:41:51
Interesting as to why joerogo's post was flagged.  This really annoys me. It suggests that someone on these boards has something against him or Chubby's!  Too bad...........neither one of them are going away
Davebassman
Cheeseburger
Re:RoadFood Recommended BBQ 2014/02/19 17:46:07
Started visiting there this summer when we took Rt.15 to take my son to college in NY. It's everything the review states. I'm partial to North Carolina-style Que, but this place has a style of it's own! Wish it were a bit closer to home~
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:RoadFood Recommended BBQ 2014/02/19 18:18:57
Flagged?
Oh, for crying out loud.
Greymo
Filet Mignon
Re:RoadFood Recommended BBQ 2014/02/19 18:23:00
Yup,  there are some real jerks on these boards!
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:RoadFood Recommended BBQ 2014/02/19 18:34:58
Michael Hoffman

Flagged?
Oh, for crying out loud.

Ditto.
Edit:  Why can't 'flags' be signed?
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2014/02/19 18:36:29
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:RoadFood Recommended BBQ 2014/02/19 18:50:55
MetroplexJim

Michael Hoffman

Flagged?
Oh, for crying out loud.

Ditto.
Edit:  Why can't 'flags' be signed?

Jim,

Identifying flaggers would create a chilling effect, which would create an environment where individuals would be inhibited from flagging messages that they find offensive or otherwise outside the bounds of the forum's rules of conduct.

That said, I do suspect that flaggers are identified amongst the moderators and other insiders at Roadfood.com.

In this case, there appeared to be premature e-flagulation.

Jim
joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:RoadFood Recommended BBQ 2014/02/19 19:34:14
I don't want to go off on a rant here....well maybe a little one.....naw, I want the focus to remain on a great BBQ place run by a really cool dedicated guy.  

Tom/Chubby/Chewingthefat, congrats on the accolades you constantly receive for Chubby's BBQ.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:RoadFood Recommended BBQ 2014/02/19 19:42:58
But there's the cranberry juice. On the other hand, there's the beans.
harriet1954
Re:RoadFood Recommended BBQ 2014/02/20 08:57:39
Can't wait to read the article, and can't WAIT to plan an overnight trip to Gettysburg and to Chubby's!
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
Re:RoadFood Recommended BBQ 2014/02/20 11:27:01
I've reviewed this thread, read the reason for the flag and don't agree with it. So I've removed it.

Note the article in question is 3 years old but I doubt much has changed. Chubby's is about 90 minutes away from me and I like Tom's food but I rarely go to Maryland.

Politics...

On the other hand if some of you decide to travel out here let me know and I'll make an exception and join you.

Mike
Re:RoadFood Recommended BBQ 2014/02/20 12:03:37
Thank you all, Chubby's is a labor of love inspired by the Stern's "Roadfood" that I first read in 2000.
I realize there are a few non fans of Chubby's and me, jealousy I guess, there is one guy in particular, who has never been here, nor ever met me, he's a pitiful soul, but allowed his free speech and silly opinions.
Thanks again for your continued support, I'd very much like to have a get together here, food and drink on me!
Tom
Greymo
Filet Mignon
Re:RoadFood Recommended BBQ 2014/02/20 12:09:42
MikeS.

I've reviewed this thread, read the reason for the flag and don't agree with it. So I've removed it.

Note the article in question is 3 years old but I doubt much has changed. Chubby's is about 90 minutes away from me and I like Tom's food but I rarely go to Maryland.

Politics...

On the other hand if some of you decide to travel out here let me know and I'll make an exception and join you.

Mike

Thank you, Mike.  You are a gentleman.  I wish those flags could be done away with.
joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:RoadFood Recommended BBQ 2014/02/20 12:15:13
chewingthefat
Thank you all, Chubby's is a labor of love inspired by the Stern's "Roadfood" that I first read in 2000.
I realize there are a few non fans of Chubby's and me, jealousy I guess, there is one guy in particular, who has never been here, nor ever met me, he's a pitiful soul, but allowed his free speech and silly opinions.
Thanks again for your continued support, I'd very much like to have a get together here, food and drink on me!
Tom

WHOA!!!  Food and drink on you....I'M IN!!!
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:RoadFood Recommended BBQ 2014/02/20 12:20:59
I just told MH about "food and drink on me!" and his reaction was "holy s**t!!!"   
Greymo
Filet Mignon
Re:RoadFood Recommended BBQ 2014/02/20 12:29:47
If the drinks are on him, I am booking the hotel just down the road!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:RoadFood Recommended BBQ 2014/02/20 12:32:23
Hmm. I wonder if the rates are still the same at that motel up the road in Gettysburg.
pnwchef
Re:RoadFood Recommended BBQ 2014/02/20 15:16:18
Michael, is that the Hotel that charges by the hour ???? 

Tom, still great after all these years........
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:RoadFood Recommended BBQ 2014/02/20 15:33:14
It's a motel, and they charge by the sheets.
Greymo
Filet Mignon
Re:RoadFood Recommended BBQ 2014/02/20 15:52:05
No......it is the one where you stick a quarter into the slot on the headboard and the bed vibrates for 5 minutes!
Re:RoadFood Recommended BBQ 2014/02/20 16:46:38
pnwchef

Another trip East for you this Summer, Bill? You could give Sausage making lessons to my staff, and write it off!

Re:RoadFood Recommended BBQ 2014/02/20 16:52:33
Greymo

No......it is the one where you stick a quarter into the slot on the headboard and the bed vibrates for 5 minutes!

Greymo you've been there too???

Treetop Tom
Cheeseburger
Re:RoadFood Recommended BBQ 2014/02/21 09:50:34
I see where Chubby's is now selling their food for half-price on Yelp.  Interesting.  That's quite a bargain!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:RoadFood Recommended BBQ 2014/02/21 11:47:07
Although Treetops won't see this because he said he has me blocked, but what he's talking about is a one-time voucher that's good for a year from the time it's purchased. I get half-off coupons like that in the mail and with inserts in the newspaper all the time. Among the poorly performing places that send these out are such failures as McCormick & Schmick's   Smith & Wollensky, Cheesecake Factory and P.F. Chang's.
Re:RoadFood Recommended BBQ 2014/02/21 12:11:24
Michael Hoffman

Although Treetops won't see this because he said he has me blocked, but what he's talking about is a one-time voucher that's good for a year from the time it's purchased. I get half-off coupons like that in the mail and with inserts in the newspaper all the time. Among the poorly performing places that send these out are such failures as McCormick & Schmick's   Smith & Wollensky, Cheesecake Factory and P.F. Chang's.

And Micheal, once I get someone in here, they become regulars. Nice to see Treetop's interest in Chubby's!

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:RoadFood Recommended BBQ 2014/02/21 12:18:42
Regulars? You mean there are others who like your food, too?
Treetop Tom
Cheeseburger
Re:RoadFood Recommended BBQ 2014/02/21 12:20:14
Contrary to some people's belief, and as a fellow NW DC-raised guy, I wish your business nothing but success.  Hopefully your half-price food deal will bring in droves of new customers!
pnwchef
Re:RoadFood Recommended BBQ 2014/02/21 12:31:00
chewingthefat

pnwchef

Another trip East for you this Summer, Bill? You could give Sausage making lessons to my staff, and write it off!

Tom, let me know what kind of sausage your looking for, I'll work on it.........
Re:RoadFood Recommended BBQ 2014/02/21 12:53:35
Treetop Tom

Contrary to some people's belief, and as a fellow NW DC-raised guy, I wish your business nothing but success.  Hopefully your half-price food deal will bring in droves of new customers!

Thanks Tom, I hope so too!

Re:RoadFood Recommended BBQ 2014/02/21 12:57:25
pnwchef

chewingthefat

pnwchef

Tom, let me know what kind of sausage your looking for, I'll work on it.........

Garlic, Jalapeno, Lamb sausage, Bill. BTW make plane reservations for around June 15th, check with Michael and Lisa, we are having her Birthday party here June 15.

pnwchef
Re:RoadFood Recommended BBQ 2014/02/22 12:35:26
chewingthefat

pnwchef

chewingthefat

pnwchef

Garlic, Jalapeno, Lamb sausage, Bill. BTW make plane reservations for around June 15th, check with Michael and Lisa, we are having her Birthday party here June 15.

Tom, I raise Black Angus steers, Pigs and Chickens..........You pick Lamb sausage ...........GGGEEEEZZZZZZZZ 
post edited by pnwchef - 2014/02/23 08:24:37
Re:RoadFood Recommended BBQ 2014/02/22 17:17:22
pnwchef

chewingthefat

pnwchef

chewingthefat

pnwchef

Tom, I raise Black Angus steers, Pigs and Chickens..........You pig Lamb sausage ...........GGGEEEEZZZZZZZZ 

I know, I know, get the damn Lamb at Costco!

lleechef
Sirloin
Re:RoadFood Recommended BBQ 2014/02/22 17:29:05
Tom,
Tell him to make you some merguez which is a delicious spicy Moroccan lamb sausage and start raising sheep.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:RoadFood Recommended BBQ 2014/02/22 22:35:45
Tom,

Bill and I want to know when the West Coast Chubby's is going to open?

Ed

PS......Bill........listen to Lisa and make some merguez!
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:RoadFood Recommended BBQ 2014/02/22 22:40:19
EdSails

Tom,

Ed

Yeah, when is the West Coast Chubby's opening?  I have to get out to CA soon!   
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:RoadFood Recommended BBQ 2014/02/22 22:44:27
lleechef

EdSails

Tom,

Ed

Yeah, when is the West Coast Chubby's opening?  I have to get out to CA soon!   

Yes you do. I know a guy who makes sweetbreads......

pnwchef
Re:RoadFood Recommended BBQ 2014/02/23 08:55:44
lleechef

EdSails

Tom,

Ed

Yeah, when is West Coast Chubby's opening?  I have to get out to CA soon!   

Lisa & Ed, I heard that 
  will be serving Chubby's BBQ for those people that can't wait for the West Coast Restaurants to arrive...........Chubby's Smoked beans will not be available for obvious reasons...........The new saying will be, "Fly with us and get Chubby along the way"......

Re:RoadFood Recommended BBQ 2014/02/23 12:10:53
EdSails

Tom,

Ed

Ed, Bill, Lisa, I'd love to open A Chubby's in the Palm Desert area, There's a BBQ in Palm Desert, "Babes", owned by a member of the Marie Callender clan, it looks like an upscale Beverly Hills Steakhouse, the place is always packed...possibly the worst Que I've ever had, go figure!

Re:RoadFood Recommended BBQ 2014/02/23 12:15:33
Correction Babe's is in Rancho Mirage!
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:RoadFood Recommended BBQ 2014/02/23 12:18:59
Tom,
The Palm Desert folks like to go to frou-frou places like Tommy Bahama's restaurant.  I don't think they would appreciate good BBQ if it hit them in the face!
pnwchef
Re:RoadFood Recommended BBQ 2014/02/23 14:24:16
Tom, people will come if the food is good..........
Re:RoadFood Recommended BBQ 2014/02/23 17:14:40
Lisa, Tommy Bahama's food sucks, been there once, never again, however I like a lot of his clothes.
Bill, you are right! BTW Virgin America is IMHO the best Airline operating today!
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:RoadFood Recommended BBQ 2014/02/23 17:22:23
I went to Tommy Bahama's once also.  Waited an hour for a table and you're right, the food sucks but they were sure packing them in.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:RoadFood Recommended BBQ 2014/02/24 01:07:52
chewingthefat

EdSails

Tom,

Ed

Ed, Bill, Lisa, I'd love to open A Chubby's in the Palm Desert area, There's a BBQ in Palm Desert, "Babes", owned by a member of the Marie Callender clan, it looks like an upscale Beverly Hills Steakhouse, the place is always packed...possibly the worst Que I've ever had, go figure!

I'll go to Chubby's West!!!!!
eruby
Double Cheeseburger
Re:RoadFood Recommended BBQ 2014/04/09 09:02:04
Though we've been to Chubby's many times (always seeming to miss Tom), I did just purchase a certificate.
The only thing better than Chubby's food is 1/2 price Chubby's food.  
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:RoadFood Recommended BBQ 2014/04/09 11:18:46
chewingthefat

Lisa, Tommy Bahama's food sucks, been there once, never again, however I like a lot of his clothes.
Bill, you are right! BTW Virgin America is IMHO the best Airline operating today!

A big second for Virgin America!