Help needed for Galveston, Texas

Hamburger
2014/02/25 18:20:43
In mid March the family and I will spend a few days in Galveston.  Does anyone have any suggestions for good restaurants--seafood would be wonderful.  Actually, all suggestions for places with good food, especially if would be appropriate for a group of folks aged 13 to 79.  Please help an old guy avoid being a trapped tourist.  
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Help needed for Galveston, Texas 2014/02/25 18:40:25
I can suggest this.  I enjoyed this restaurant several times while my wife was being treated at M.D/. Anderson in Houston.  I never got a bad dinner or lunch there.  Great seafood and a very good view.

http://www.williegs.com/locations/galveston/

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:Help needed for Galveston, Texas 2014/02/25 19:02:42
Sundancer7

I can suggest this.  I enjoyed this restaurant several times while my wife was being treated at M.D/. Anderson in Houston.  I never got a bad dinner or lunch there.  Great seafood and a very good view.

http://www.williegs.com/locations/galveston/

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

I have to say, their menu looks great. I could be happy with Crawfish Étouffée and Redfish Louisiane!
Texascajun
Cheeseburger
Re:Help needed for Galveston, Texas 2014/02/27 20:39:27
The Family and I go to Galveston occasionally to deep sea fish. We spent 4 days there this summer. The places we dined that were really good were--

Papa's Pizza on the Seawall Blvd. -- ( the best shrimp po-boy I had in Galveston. I wouldn't have believed it either but the family wanted pizza and pasta which they really liked. I ordered the po-boy per the cooks suggestion and it was great.)

Shrimp N' Stuff on Avenue O -- ( The deckhands on the charter boat recommended it as a local favorite and it was good especially the stuffed shrimp.)

Olympia The Grill at Pier 21 on 21st street -- ( We ate here at lunch and I had a special of grilled fish with sauce. It was very good and my family liked what they ordered. I think the kids had burgers and my wife had a fried combo of fish and crab balls.)

Gaido's Famous Seafood on Seawall Blvd. -- ( It was good and been in business a long time.)

I hope this helps. If you have time to ride the ferry its free and we saw a few dolphins each time we have ridden it. The line to drive on is usually long and you have to wait but if you get in the right lane and drive straight up to the parking lot you can walk right on. The water in Galveston is pretty dirty due to lots of boat and ship traffic so most people go here for fishing and if its close but usually go on down towards Corpus Christie and Padre for good beaches and cleaner Water. I hope this helps you, it is a fun town. 
Happyhorn52
Junior Burger
Re:Help needed for Galveston, Texas 2014/08/12 07:17:01
Gaido's is a must. 100 year old place on the seawall. Don't forget the pecan pie. 

JB-ME
Hamburger
Re:Help needed for Galveston, Texas 2014/08/12 09:56:23
Gaido's--yes! There are reasons to be in business for over a hundred years. I lived in Texas as a kid, and then went back for a high school reunion in the greater Houston area. I made a couple of visits to Galveston, specifically to go to Gaido's. I have never ordered anything there but seafood.
http://www.gaidos.com/
I also second the free TXDOT ferry ride from Galveston to Point Bolivar.  It was a fun thing to do!
post edited by JB-ME - 2014/08/12 10:18:33
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Help needed for Galveston, Texas 2014/08/12 10:19:43
I was thinking Gaido's after walking along the sea wall but looked at the menu, the prices, the service, and glanced at a few plates on tables and decided it definitely was not roadfood. Thus skipped it. The problem with seafood is you can get just as good in an inexpensive roadfood kind of place and often usually better. I ended up next door at Nick's Kitchen & Beach Bar for a burger. I was all seafooded out from three weeks in South Padre Island anyway with places like I mentioned.

Galveston has some good breakfast places. I recommend the Sunflower Bakery & Cafe. It is pretty good for lunch as well.

JB-ME
Hamburger
Re:Help needed for Galveston, Texas 2014/08/12 10:57:24
Gaido's is definitely not RF. It is a white cloth napkin kind of place. At RF places you can often get less expensive and good seafood. At Gaido's, however, there are items that you don't usually find at RF places. Variety is the spice of life. Sometimes we want to dine; sometimes we just want to eat.