Hot!Raising Arizona

Author
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10389
2014/02/27 08:41:08 (permalink)

Raising Arizona

Cousin Johnny and I took our annual vacation together recently, spending a week or so in the Grand Canyon State.  We usually take our trips in Spring or Summer, but since we were going to Arizona, we thought this might be a good year to get out of the Northeast Winter for a change.  And considering how brutal the weather has been this year, this turned out to be a wise decision.

Thursday February 13, 2014 

My flight into Phoenix wasn't until later in the day, but my morning started in such fine fashion, I had to include it in the report.  The afternoon before, Poverty Pete called to say that he was going to be in Pittsburgh.  Truly terrible timing, as I would have loved to have taken him to a couple of local Roadfood spots on this night, but at least I could meet him for breakfast.  At 6:30AM, I picked him up in the lot of a local grocery store where he parked his truck and we headed out.  During our previous conversation, I told him we would have to eat at one of the local nearby chains, as I didn't have much time since I was only working half a day.  But that's no way to treat a friend, especially someone who has taken me to so many wonderful places in Nashville over the years.  So we drove to Carnegie to eat at a place I recently reviewed, Gab & Eat.

A favorite for both wanderingjew and myself, the Gab & Eat is everything you look for in a Roadfood breakfast stop.  PP and I grabbed a couple of empty seats at the counter near the far end, which did not offer a good view of the grill and the swirl of activity around it.  I recommended the mixed grill,

a popular Pittsburgh breakfast dish which is a jumble of eggs, potatoes, peppers, onions and in this case, the excellent made-in-house sausage.  Just so we could sample both, he chose the hot sausage and I went with the sweet.  Oddly enough, the eggs in this case were fried as they are almost always scrambled instead.  Never seen that before.  Here is a photo I got of PP

enjoying his meal.  He seemed to especially like the thick Italian toast that comes on the side.  Neither one of us came close to eating our entire meal, since even the half portion sizes we ordered is a huge plate of food.

One of the things I noticed different about the Gab & Eat this time is that they cleaned all of the writing off of the walls.  You used to be able to write your name or whatever you wanted directly on the walls, but it was all scrubbed off and replaced in the back by this section.

Not particularly sure why this is necessary, but apparently they felt it was important to their customers.  I dropped PP off at his truck, said goodbye and was at work by 8:45AM.  

Once at the airport, I had enough time to grab a quick lunch at Bar Symon.  Now, I don't watch the Food Network and could care less about celebrity chefs, but I do like eating here because I can find Cleveland's favorite sandwich, the polish boy.  Unfortunately, they said they no longer have it on the menu.  I threw a couple of bucks down on the table and started to leave when the manager came over and mentioned that they still had all the ingredients to make one.  The only thing they were lacking was the hot dog bun, which is how it ended up looking like this. 

The coffee bbq sauce they use is a little unusual, but this was still a very good sandwich, highlighted by the juicy kielbasa with a serious snap when you bite into it.  Also enjoyable is the thin rosemary French fries,

though I don't care for the vinegary lola ketchup.

Despite the snow in Pittsburgh, the flight was delayed just a few minutes.  Next up, Arizona!              
post edited by buffetbuster - 2014/02/27 10:31:27

332 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1