Iditarod 2014

Sirloin
2014/03/02 13:17:57
Yesterday was the Ceremonial Start to Iditarod 2014 in downtown Anchorage.  I saw eight of them......it's like Alaska's version of the Super Bowl........thousands of people on 4th Ave. watching the mushers and their dog teams take off.  There is a lot of barking because those pups just want to get out on the trail and run!!  Today they will leave Willow, AK for the 1,049 mile run to Nome, commemorating the 1925 Serum Run when diphtheria broke out in Nome.  The only serum was in Anchorage so they did a relay of dog sled teams to get it there. 
What does this have to do with Roadfood?  Well, it is a long trip and the mushers and dogs have to eat along the way.  What do they eat?  Alaskan wild salmon!!!
http://www.alaskadispatch.com/article/20130310/what-powers-iditarod-dogs-over-1000-unforgiving-miles-wild-alaska-salmon-course
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:Iditarod 2014 2014/03/02 13:50:54
I thought they ate.....MUSH!!!!!

lleechef
Sirloin
Re:Iditarod 2014 2014/03/02 13:59:20
EdSails

I thought they ate.....MUSH!!!!!

In Wisconsin they eat lutefisk but Alaskans (dogs and mushers) have a more refined palate and prefer salmon.  Wise guy. 
pnwchef
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Iditarod 2014 2014/03/02 14:06:28
Looks like they will be eating grass. They had to move looking for snow...A few million years from now it will be held in California........
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:Iditarod 2014 2014/03/02 14:12:37
pnwchef

Looks like they will be eating grass. They had to move looking for snow...A few million years from now it will be held in California........

Why not? We've got great conditions this year......

lleechef
Sirloin
Re:Iditarod 2014 2014/03/02 14:21:33
pnwchef

Actually they were contemplating moving the re-start to Fairbanks due to lack of snow in the Alaska Range.  In the end, they decided to keep it in Willow.  But it's going to be a rocky, bumpy ride.
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Iditarod 2014 2014/03/02 14:58:14
In 2001 I had my first reindeer sausage for breakfast at a restaurant on the corner where they had the ceremonial start in Anchorage. There's your roadfood connection.
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:Iditarod 2014 2014/03/02 15:35:20
Davydd

In 2001 I had my first reindeer sausage for breakfast at a restaurant on the corner where they had the ceremonial start in Anchorage. There's your roadfood connection.

Bravo!  I love reindeer sausage.  Was that at Humpy's? 
post edited by lleechef - 2014/03/02 15:36:32
kennyb
Cheeseburger
Re:Iditarod 2014 2014/03/02 16:39:06
just had reindeer sausage for Christmas. my uncle in AK sends it to me and family and I send him K C ribs that I smoke. I have been to several Iditarod starts and fur rendezvous festivals many years age. lots of fun. 
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:Iditarod 2014 2014/03/02 16:44:44
kennyb

just had reindeer sausage for Christmas. my uncle in AK sends it to me and family and I send him K C ribs that I smoke. I have been to several Iditarod starts and fur rendezvous festivals many years age. lots of fun. 

Wow!  You've been to Fur Rondy also?  I'm impressed! 
Between you and me, I'll take the KC smoked ribs over the reindeer sausage.

Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Iditarod 2014 2014/03/02 18:20:48
lleechef

Davydd

I went to Humpy's two years ago. They aren't at the start of the ceremonial Iditarod are they? No, the place I went to was more a cafe/diner as I remember.
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:Iditarod 2014 2014/03/02 18:58:33
Davydd

lleechef

Davydd

I went to Humpy's two years ago. They aren't at the start of the ceremonial Iditarod are they? No, the place I went to was more a cafe/diner as I remember.

Humpy's is up the street from the Ceremonial Start, but still on 4th Ave.  Maybe it was F Street Station?  No matter.  It's just fun to be there.  DeeDee Jonrowe is running her 32nd Iditarod.  She's 60 and a breast cancer survivor.  Those mushers are tough.  And they sure do love their dogs!!! 

Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Iditarod 2014 2014/03/02 23:53:49
lleechef
Davydd
lleechef
Davydd

Humpy's is up the street from the Ceremonial Start, but still on 4th Ave.  Maybe it was F Street Station?  No matter.  It's just fun to be there.  DeeDee Jonrowe is running her 32nd Iditarod.  She's 60 and a breast cancer survivor.  Those mushers are tough.  And they sure do love their dogs!!! 

She is one tough Mother Musher!!!