Starting hot dog trailer W@ashington State

Junior Burger
2014/04/15 18:49:00
Just a few questions, I want to serve a grilled hot dog but I also want boiled/steamed. What are advantages and disadvantages. Can you boil then grill to save time. As you can tell I'm a true newbie so any input will be helpful. I want to run a self contained trailer that doesn't need a commissary.
Midnights
Cheeseburger
Re:Starting hot dog trailer W@ashington State 2014/04/15 19:21:02
I would suggest reading the previous threads on this topic.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Starting hot dog trailer W@ashington State 2014/04/15 21:25:01
Hot Dogs are pre-cooked.
All you need to do is heat them up.
Never boil a hot dog. it takes the flavor out of them.
Heating them up in hot water would speed up the heating process before grilling them.
Follow Midnights advice and read everything on the "Professional Hot Dog Vendors" Forum. 
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Professional-Hot-Dog-Vendors-f47.aspx
chefbuba
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Starting hot dog trailer W@ashington State 2014/04/16 09:45:04
Steverb

Just a few questions, I want to serve a grilled hot dog but I also want boiled/steamed. What are advantages and disadvantages. Can you boil then grill to save time. As you can tell I'm a true newbie so any input will be helpful. I want to run a self contained trailer that doesn't need a commissary.

No such animal, read the food code.
patriotdogs
Junior Burger
Re:Starting hot dog trailer W@ashington State 2014/04/17 14:22:37
chefbuba

Steverb

No such animal, read the food code.

this.  the government has super-regulated the hot dog cart industry.  you have to buy your license, pay application fees, sales tax permit fees, take a health food permit class, then you have to find a licensed commissary to work out of.  if it was too easy, everybody would be doing it.  trust me, it aint easy.  you can't just go out and buy a cart and start slingin'. 

the best thing to do is just start reading. and reading. and then read some more.  and then guess what...read some more. 
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Starting hot dog trailer W@ashington State 2014/04/18 03:57:43
CHEF BUBBA & PATRIOT DOGS
OP said he would have a self contained trailer. I believe if you have an HD approved, self contained trailer with all the necessary cooking, cleaning, refrigeration, etc. equipment, you don't need a commissary.
It would be no different than a food truck.
chefbuba
Re:Starting hot dog trailer W@ashington State 2014/04/18 09:06:00
I have a self contained trailer in WA State. I am required to use a commissary.
I also licensed in Oregon last year. There was no requirement there.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Starting hot dog trailer W@ashington State 2014/04/19 02:55:23
chefbuba
I have a self contained trailer in WA State. I am required to use a commissary.
I also licensed in Oregon last year. There was no requirement there.

God Bless States Rights!
What we need is for the Feds to jump in, standardize everything, set up a Bureau of Trailers & Carts in D.C. hire 100,000 Bureaucrats to administer their 2150 page manual and then everything will be OK! "I'm from the government and I'm here to help you"!!  
pnwchef
Re:Starting hot dog trailer W@ashington State 2014/04/19 10:32:17
Steve, welcome to Roadfood. I was up your way a few weeks ago on my way to Nelson, BC. It's a good idea to check with your local health dept, they will clear up all of your questions. Chefbuba has food vended in Washington, he knows the in's and out's and all the hoops that need to be jumped through. There are many ways of obtaining a commissary, the health dept want's to know you have a proper place to wash you pots pans and utensils. They want food to be stored properly. they also want food to be heated and kept at proper temps. They also want your water to come from an approved source and disposed of in a approved way.............best of luck in your new adventure............pnwc