The Last of the Gladiators

Cheeseburger
2014/04/20 21:18:31
Don't know if there are many MMA (Mixed Marital Arts) fans on this site? I a big fan. Enjoy watching most of them fight it's very exciting, Except for the women's so called champion her self Ronda Rousey. Uber boring fights with always the same predictable Arm-bar finish.   Rousey only became champion when former undefeated champion (and still undefeated) Cyborg tested positive for EPD'S (enhancement performance drugs) Cyborg was then stripped of her title and banned form the UFC fighting organization. Many other UFC fighters have tested positive for EPD'S, get banned for a few months then are allowed to come back and fight in the UFC organization......What gives???? Ronda Rousey and UFC promoter Dana White absolutely refuse to accept "The fight Cyborg v Rousey" for the past 3 1/2 years. This would be the top money grossing women's and quite possible men's UFC's fight ever! "Cyborg has been testing negative for the past 4 years and competes in other MMA organizations beating everyone in her path"             
post edited by Turtle66 - 2014/04/20 22:57:55
SeamusD
Double Cheeseburger
Re:The Last of the Gladiators 2014/04/21 11:17:25
I don't follow it, but I enjoy going either to a friend's house or restaurant that is showing the fights when they're on. It's interesting to watch the skill of the fighters ratchet up with each fight, up to the title bout.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:The Last of the Gladiators 2014/04/21 15:52:20
There are plenty of other sites where you can discuss MMA. Suggest you take it there.
Turtle66
Cheeseburger
Re:The Last of the Gladiators 2014/04/21 16:11:45
Guess there are not many MMA fans on this site. 
Re:The Last of the Gladiators 2014/04/21 17:50:07
The best of them all was Royce Gracie!
saps
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:The Last of the Gladiators 2014/04/21 20:47:57
Foodbme

There are plenty of other sites where you can discuss MMA. Suggest you take it there.

From the man who brought us the thread on "The Stella Awards".

This is the "Off-Topic and Lighter Fare" thread.  MMA fits the criteria of off-topic, just as much as your "Stella Awards", or "How to Score 300 Free Meals!" do.  So while you're telling others what to do with their topics, why don't you find some places to take yours as well.

Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:The Last of the Gladiators 2014/04/21 22:14:05
saps

Foodbme

This is the "Off-Topic and Lighter Fare" thread.  MMA fits the criteria of off-topic, just as much as your "Stella Awards", or "How to Score 300 Free Meals!" do.  So while you're telling others what to do with their topics, why don't you find some places to take yours as well.

Why are you always lying in the bushes waiting to pounce on me? What have I ever done to you? Seems you take great joy just waiting for me to post something that you can take exception with. This is like the 6th time you've done this. You spend an inordinate amount of time researching my posts so you can take exception to what I post. Get out of my face.
plb
Re:The Last of the Gladiators 2014/04/21 22:15:23
I remember when they took Friday night boxing off of TV because it was considered too violent.
saps
Re:The Last of the Gladiators 2014/04/21 22:48:11
Foodbme- I did it when you had your rant about how you could care less about drug users and then when you ripped on Turtle66 about posting on MMA in this section.  You deserved it. 

You're a bit tender there.  If I was "always lying in the bushes" sitting around waiting to jump on your posts, my guess is I'd have closer to 9000 posts rather than just the 1500+ that I have, and I'd certainly have more than just 6 for you to complain about.  As far as spending an inordinate time researching your posts, don't flatter yourself.  It took about a minute to see what you posted in "Off Topic and Lighter Fare".  I'm not in your face; you're just paranoid.  And if you want to have strong opinions, expect others to have them as well.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:The Last of the Gladiators 2014/04/22 00:19:34
I never watched it before but I saw a picture of Cyborg & I'd be afraid....
Turtle66
Cheeseburger
Re:The Last of the Gladiators 2014/04/22 00:34:26
saps

Foodbme

I agree with you Saps that Foodbme's post was rather rude. I chose to ignore it and let it run off my back.........(THIS TIME)  
Turtle66
Cheeseburger
Re:The Last of the Gladiators 2014/04/22 01:32:15
CCinNJ

I never watched it before but I saw a picture of Cyborg & I'd be afraid....

Yes, Cyborg probably will not be breaking any hearts soon, But boy can she fight. I really do think that Dana White (promoter) did not think that face was marketable. So he went with the other person,fighter,girlfriend?  
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:The Last of the Gladiators 2014/04/22 11:34:20
My grandson, who competed in muay thai in South Korea when he was stationed there, turned me on to MMA. I enjoy watching occasionally. But I do miss Friday night boxing at Madison Square Garden, "brought to you by Gillette."

To look sharp every time you shave,
To feel sharp and be on the ball,
To be sharp, use Gillette Blue Blades,
It's the quickest, slickest shave of all.
Turtle66
Cheeseburger
Re:The Last of the Gladiators 2014/04/22 11:56:15
Ohh Yes, My dad was an avid boxing fan. Friends and family would come over for the fight (potluck bbq usually) Those old Gillette commercials are ingrained in my mind......lol  
Tumbleweed365
Cheeseburger
Re:The Last of the Gladiators 2014/04/22 16:29:50
My Grandmother loved the Friday night boxing !
And I remember the Gilette commercial as well.
Much better than the mood elevator , ED, and
Arthritis ones we are stuck with now.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:The Last of the Gladiators 2014/04/22 19:38:54
MMA.  Let's see the rules.  No eye gouging.  Oh, that's nice.  A few years down the road I'm sure they'll introduce weapons.

When my younger son was 10 (1988) he insisted that Hulk Hogan could beat up Mike Tyson.  I drew a deep breath and said simply .. "Then let him try.  The Heavyweight Champion of the World makes far more than any other athlete on the planet.  If the Hulkster thought he had just a chance, he'd try.  He won't; draw your own conclusion."

Here's the last fight I saw live.  The ticket cost me $10 a second, but was well worth it.  What a scene.

Only a year or two later, Don King killed boxing.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:The Last of the Gladiators 2014/04/22 19:54:10
Heck, even Buster Douglas was able to put a whuppin on Tyson. I think it might have been the result of his daily meals at my Waffle House in Westerville, Ohio during his training for the fight.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:The Last of the Gladiators 2014/04/22 21:17:48
Lucha libre was always a fun watch here...in Spanish.
Turtle66
Cheeseburger
Re:The Last of the Gladiators 2014/04/23 10:27:42
The modern mexican wrestlers are acrobats...  
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:The Last of the Gladiators 2014/04/24 08:01:48
Michael Hoffman

Heck, even Buster Douglas was able to put a whuppin on Tyson. I think it might have been the result of his daily meals at my Waffle House in Westerville, Ohio during his training for the fight.

Please refer to my comment about Don King above.

With Cus D'Amato's passing and King's replacing Jimmy Jacobs & Bill Cayton, Tyson (and boxing) turned to sh*t. 

(Frankly, given the type and character of 'gentlemen' Don King screwed over, I'm shocked that he has so far avoided an unnatural demise).

----------

Edit for a P.S.: 

After his first Tyson fight it appears that Douglas spent a little too much time at Waffle House! 
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2014/04/24 08:05:56
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:The Last of the Gladiators 2014/04/24 08:57:42
Actually, Buster was diagnosed with a form of diabetes, which took a couple of years to get under control.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:The Last of the Gladiators 2014/04/24 19:42:15
Michael Hoffman

Actually, Buster was diagnosed with a form of diabetes, which took a couple of years to get under control.

Sorry to hear that; I hope this finds him well and healthy. 

Tyson was afflicted by parasites; maybe he should try MMA. 

I'd pay the big money to see him go gainst a tag-team of Don King and Robin Givens!

They won the first time through, but with MMA rules I'm sure Iron Mike would prevail ... and maybe I could get a lap dance from one of those thong-'clad' UCF honeys that roam the stands.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:The Last of the Gladiators 2014/04/24 19:59:52
I take it the Missus doesn't read Roadfood.com.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:The Last of the Gladiators 2014/04/25 07:49:44
Michael Hoffman

I take it the Missus doesn't read Roadfood.com.

She rarely does; but, even so, after 14 years she is now well aware of my penchant for sarcasm.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:The Last of the Gladiators 2014/04/25 12:17:43
Lucky you!
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:The Last of the Gladiators 2014/04/26 09:44:23
Michael Hoffman

Lucky you!

Didn't say that she appreciates it!