SCREAMING YELLOW ZONKERS!

Hode
  • Total Posts : 153
  • Reward points : 0
SCREAMING YELLOW ZONKERS! - Tue, 04/20/04 11:05 AM
I was driving home from an auction and had to stop for gas at a station outside Erie Pa. and when I went inside I was delighted to find an old favorite of mine. SCREAMING YELLOW ZONKERS! It must have been 15 years since I last had them. I enjoy checking out grocery stores and small convenient stores for snacks that I have'nt had in a while or new ones to try when I am out on the road. All those different Potato Chips to try , pretzels as well now with all the flavored types. But when I saw the boxes of Zonkers I could'nt wait to rip the box open and relive the memories. Only downside was getting my steering wheel sticky from the glazing. Anyone else enjoy Zonkers?

Grampy
  • Total Posts : 1559
RE: SCREAMING YELLOW ZONKERS! - Tue, 04/20/04 11:13 AM
Are the boxes still as funny as they were when they came out in the late 60s?

Kristi S.
  • Total Posts : 712
RE: SCREAMING YELLOW ZONKERS! - Tue, 04/20/04 12:23 PM
I was a Zonkers zombie in the early 70s as a kid. Didn't see them again for a good 20 years after moving south, then bingo, there they were on the shelf. Fun stuff

CheeseWit
  • Total Posts : 1393
RE: SCREAMING YELLOW ZONKERS! - Tue, 04/20/04 12:54 PM
Screaming Yellow Zonkers, Fiddle-Faddle, and Poppycock are all made by the same company. They are all old favorites of mine.

garykg6
  • Total Posts : 358
RE: SCREAMING YELLOW ZONKERS! - Tue, 04/20/04 1:54 PM
had my share in the days when <'smoke em' if you got em'>had more than one translation. wonderful snack food, along with 'bugles'(basically alike) and a bottle of Moxie(I am originally from Maine)......heaven

angelfood
  • Total Posts : 204
RE: SCREAMING YELLOW ZONKERS! - Tue, 04/20/04 2:54 PM
I love 'em. I haven't had them in a while though. Lately, I've been having visions of a Marathon bar... .

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15057
RE: SCREAMING YELLOW ZONKERS! - Tue, 04/20/04 3:46 PM

They are a favorite snack food of mine...Still stock them at the local WalMart !! and you're right...they cause permanent damage to the leather covering the steering wheel.

emsmom
  • Total Posts : 955
RE: SCREAMING YELLOW ZONKERS! - Mon, 05/24/04 1:38 PM
When I was in Sams Club last week, they had the canisters of them on sale for .88 per canister. I only bought one, but I need to go to Sams tonight and if they still have them, I am going to get several.
I like them better than Fiddle Faddle or Cracker Jacks.

frogger67
  • Total Posts : 156
RE: SCREAMING YELLOW ZONKERS! - Mon, 12/17/07 4:02 PM
Mrs Fields has a glazed popcorn product that is a Screaming Yellow Zonkers clone......very buttery and very good!

foz352
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: SCREAMING YELLOW ZONKERS! - Thu, 11/6/08 1:16 PM
I remember SYZ very well. Fiddle-Faddle and SYZ were made by Ovaltine in Villa Park, IL in the sixties. They were developed as spin-offs from the Poppy-Cock product. My dad worked as a quality control and research chemist at the plant and worked on new product development. We (our family) consider him the inventor of SYZ & Fiddle-Faddle and many other products that never made it to market. We (six kids) were his test subjects. I remenber him bringing home samples of early SYZ in plastic bags. He gave us different flavor attempts and we would rate them. Other things (flops) that we tried:
Ovaltine Candy Bars - very dry and crumbly
Ovaltine Candy Bars with milk chocolate - better
pre-flavored (in the kernal) popcorn - a big flop, he made onion, garlic and rye flavored- they stunk up the house and had no taste!
SuGus- actually very good- citris flavored salt water taffy. They were marketed and sold, but not for long

mar52
  • Total Posts : 7590
RE: SCREAMING YELLOW ZONKERS! - Thu, 11/6/08 9:03 PM
Love them too much. As soon as the box is opened it becomes a single serving until it's empty... a little while later.

Vince Macek
  • Total Posts : 855
RE: SCREAMING YELLOW ZONKERS! - Sat, 11/8/08 10:01 PM
quote:
Originally posted by foz352

I remember SYZ very well.
SuGus- actually very good- citris flavored salt water taffy. They were marketed and sold, but not for long

Interesting - I was in South America in the 1960s and they sold a candy called Sugus, which I remembered as shaped and packaged like Starbursts. Same thing?

foz352
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: SCREAMING YELLOW ZONKERS! - Mon, 11/10/08 2:41 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Vince Macek

quote:
Originally posted by foz352

I remember SYZ very well.

Interesting - I was in South America in the 1960s and they sold a candy called Sugus, which I remembered as shaped and packaged like Starbursts. Same thing?

Yes, that is exactly how they were packaged, I remember lemon, raspberry, lime and grape flavors.

tfrielin
  • Total Posts : 440
RE: SCREAMING YELLOW ZONKERS! - Mon, 11/10/08 2:54 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Grampy

Are the boxes still as funny as they were when they came out in the late 60s?

I haven't seen Screaming Yellow Zonkers on my grocers shelf lately, but I have to agree that the boxes were hilarious. At least for my adolescent humor back then. I still remember they ran a mock contest on the back of the box and first prize was the continent of your choice.

I still think that one's funny.