Beer Can Chicken Fans

hungovergourmet
  • Total Posts : 188
  • Reward points : 0
Beer Can Chicken Fans - Tue, 04/20/04 3:12 PM
Well, I decided that the roaster I had was too big to do the tea smoked chicken discussed elsewhere. But it's the perfect size for a big beer can chicken! Is anybody else a fan of this fun and flavorful cooking technique? We were discussing it with some friends the other night and they told us that they tried it and it turned out "awful"... I'm still trying to figure out how they screwed it up!

Anyway, I made a wet rub/paste with some hot pepper sauce, some hoisin, ground black pepper and minced ginger. I loosened the skin of the chicken and rubbed it between the skin and breasts and all over the outside of the skin. I've got two big cans of Saporo in the fridge... one for cooking and one for drinking.

What do you folks like to use for a liquid and seasoning??

Theedge
  • Total Posts : 1196
RE: Beer Can Chicken Fans - Tue, 04/20/04 3:48 PM
I've been meaning to try the beer can thing, still haven't gotten around to it. I see they even sell special devices that hold the can and the bird. I've not been real impressed with the whole chickens I can purchase around here so I usually grill or smoke turkeys. For my turkeys I mix butter, garlic salt and black pepper and cram it under the skin. I find it works best to get the skin loosened up and then stick spatula scoop full of the flavored butter in there. 6 hours in the smoker at 230 for a 4-5 pound breast is perfect. I here a lot about people injecting birds with spices as well, I just wonder how much "bird taste" is left.

plb
  • Total Posts : 1020
RE: Beer Can Chicken Fans - Tue, 04/20/04 7:33 PM
I have tried beer can chicken a few times and it came out great. The steam from the beer, and probably the greater distance from the fire, keeps the white meat from drying out.

I usually use a spicy Mexican poultry rub I found at Whole Foods.

Phil B.

hungovergourmet
RE: Beer Can Chicken Fans - Tue, 04/20/04 10:08 PM
Well, tonight's beer can chicken turned out great. The skin was spicy and tasty, and I used an onion in the neck cavity so the meat had a bit of a sweet onion taste to it. The meat was just about falling off the bone, but my dog sure was ticked off that I wasn't giving her any!

GetMeTheBigKnife
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Beer Can Chicken Fans - Tue, 10/12/04 12:01 AM
I am a huge fan of Beer can chicken. my best rub ...to date, is iced tea mix rubbed into the skin. It carmelizes as it cooks and the taste is fantastic! I do lots of different things with chicken and turkey, since I got my smoker.....but nothing beats a chicken in the beer can method....with a special rub - I invented, or dreamed up...or probably read somewhere - ~~~GRIN~~~

tiki
  • Total Posts : 4135
RE: Beer Can Chicken Fans - Tue, 10/12/04 6:52 AM
quote:
Originally posted by GetMeTheBigKnife

I am a huge fan of Beer can chicken. my best rub ...to date, is iced tea mix rubbed into the skin. It carmelizes as it cooks and the taste is fantastic! I do lots of different things with chicken and turkey, since I got my smoker.....but nothing beats a chicken in the beer can method....with a special rub - I invented, or dreamed up...or probably read somewhere - ~~~GRIN~~~

This im gonna have to try!---which tea mix do you use?

BTW--LOVE the moniker!!

glennpan
  • Total Posts : 90
RE: Beer Can Chicken Fans - Tue, 10/12/04 9:13 AM
I have also had great experiences making beer can chicken. So much so, that I wanted to do our thanksgiving turkey in the beercan style. I once saw Steven Raichlen use a big Fosters keg can to mount the turkey on, but I haven't been able to find one of those lately. Anyone have ideas on what else I could use to mount the turkey on?

Glenn

Art Deco
  • Total Posts : 889
RE: Beer Can Chicken Fans - Tue, 10/12/04 10:33 AM
The title of this thread had me half anticipating a device that you strap onto the beer can to improve air flow around the chicken...

Lexi
  • Total Posts : 248
RE: Beer Can Chicken Fans - Tue, 10/12/04 11:51 AM
quote:
Originally posted by glennpan

I have also had great experiences making beer can chicken. So much so, that I wanted to do our thanksgiving turkey in the beercan style. I once saw Steven Raichlen use a big Fosters keg can to mount the turkey on, but I haven't been able to find one of those lately. Anyone have ideas on what else I could use to mount the turkey on?

Glenn

Hey Glenn

How about a nice clean empty coffee can? Just make sure that you empty the coffee out of the can with a minimal number of holes in the top. Then refill the can with beer and your rub of choice.

We also steam our shrimp in beer and my daughter wondered aloud one day how I was able to get the beer can up a shrimp's butt. I just about died laughing!

tiki
RE: Beer Can Chicken Fans - Tue, 10/12/04 11:57 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Lexi We also steam our shrimp in beer and my daughter wondered aloud one day how I was able to get the beer can up a shrimp's butt. I just about died laughing!

ROFLMAO!!!!!!

hungovergourmet
RE: Beer Can Chicken Fans - Tue, 10/12/04 2:34 PM
quote:

I'd love to try a beer can turkey, too, but I don't think my grill will accomodate it. It was too windy yesterday so I just did my beer can chicken in the oven... first time I've done that and it turned out great. Leftovers tonight... YUM!

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17837
RE: Beer Can Chicken Fans - Tue, 10/12/04 2:51 PM
Apparently I've been living in a dark cave. What in the world is beer can chicken?

Pedro12345
  • Total Posts : 25
RE: Beer Can Chicken Fans - Tue, 10/12/04 3:25 PM
Beer Can Chicken is the best--we use a seasoning mix very similar to Emeril's Essence.

Hungover--how do you loosen the skin and what are the proportions of the ingredients you use? That sounds wonderful.

emsmom
  • Total Posts : 955
RE: Beer Can Chicken Fans - Tue, 10/12/04 3:47 PM
A whole chicken is set upon an opened can of beer like it is sitting on a throne and baked or smoked this way. The beer moistens and flavors the chicken as it cooks
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Apparently I've been living in a dark cave. What in the world is beer can chicken?

hungovergourmet
RE: Beer Can Chicken Fans - Tue, 10/12/04 3:48 PM
quote:

You cook the chicken (or turkey or game hen) standing upright on the grill or in the oven. You pour out about half the beer in the can, add some seasonings and punch a few extra holes in the top. Sprinkle seasonings in the neck and chest cavity of the chicken, lightly oil the outside and season it under and over the skin. I also stuff an onion or an apple wedge in the neck cavity.

The heat causes the beer to steam the meat on the inside and it imparts a juicy sweetness to the meat. The outside skin gets crisp and because you're cooking it upright the fat drains away.

I wrote an article about it with more precise steps over at my site:
http://hungovergourmet.com/food/beer_can/index.htm

hungovergourmet
RE: Beer Can Chicken Fans - Tue, 10/12/04 3:53 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Pedro12345

Beer Can Chicken is the best--we use a seasoning mix very similar to Emeril's Essence.

Hungover--how do you loosen the skin and what are the proportions of the ingredients you use? That sounds wonderful.

I usually just slip my fingers between the skin and the breast and gently tug away... that loosens the skin up enough to shake some seasoning in and rub it into the breast a bit. As for proportions for ingredients, I make a rub that's one part brown sugar, to one part paprika to one part kosher salt and then I add a healthy dose of fresh cracked black pepper. Sometimes I'll use red pepper instead of black pepper or do a 50/50 mix.

From there I just season the outside by eye, add a couple teaspoons to the beer and then sprinkle the inside cavities.

glennpan
RE: Beer Can Chicken Fans - Tue, 10/12/04 4:24 PM
Michael,

Hungover Gourmet's article is spot on. My neighbor uses Sprite instead of beer to give the bird a citrus flavor. I like to mix the seasoning rub with the olive oil to get a slurry that rubs on nicely. I also score the skin to allow the fat to drain out better.

I especially want to try the method on turkey as it should produce a jucier bird. I just hope it will fit on my grill.

Michael Hoffman
RE: Beer Can Chicken Fans - Tue, 10/12/04 6:01 PM
Thanks to all who explained beer can chicken.

ScreamingChicken
  • Total Posts : 4729
RE: Beer Can Chicken Fans - Wed, 11/10/04 9:29 AM
quote:

Glenn

Glenn, I did a 12-lb beer can turkey a few weeks ago and was pleased with the results. Any good liquor store should have the 25-ounce Foster's or Molson cans, but I used the 24-ounce Heineken "keg" as it fit the bird more snugly. The turkey wouldn't fit on my Weber kettle; since I don't have the rotisserie ring I wound up using another kettle (old and rusted out) as the lid. Looked like a big egg...

Brad O.

glennpan
RE: Beer Can Chicken Fans - Wed, 11/10/04 3:05 PM
Brad,

Did the Turkey come out juicy like the chicken does? Was there a difference in the flavor? I also have to figure out how to get the thing to fit on my grill. I thought I can find a way to lower the grate.

Glenn

ScreamingChicken
RE: Beer Can Chicken Fans - Thu, 11/11/04 8:55 AM
quote:

Brad,

Did the Turkey come out juicy like the chicken does? Was there a difference in the flavor? I also have to figure out how to get the thing to fit on my grill. I thought I can find a way to lower the grate.

Glenn

Yes, it was juicy and tender and the flavor was very good - just like it was a big chicken! I'm not real good at distinguishing turkey from chicken anyway and I did use a fairly zesty rub. Pay attention to the breast; while it wasn't dry it was the least moist (and I'm a dark meat guy anyway) and with the bigger bird basting (I went with 30-minute intervals) is a must.

I took measurements and discovered that I needed about an additional 7" of clearance to use the stock grate (22.5" Weber Bar-B-Kettle) and one of the suggestions I received was to somehow lower the grate, or even put the bird directly on the lower grate. The rotisserie ring would've given me the clearance but it's also priced at $100...

My advice to anyone wanting to cook a turkey this way on a kettle is to find another old kettle and use it as the lid. I was thinking how it would help if Weber offered a high-dome lid when I remembered that when I replaced the kettle earlier this year I hadn't yet thrown away the old one...instant lid and the combination of the 3 vents and the rust holes allowed for plenty of airflow!

Good luck!

Brad

hungovergourmet
RE: Beer Can Chicken Fans - Thu, 11/11/04 9:27 AM
Great info on the Beer Can Turkey! Especially around Thanksgiving time. I love the ingenuity shown when we want to get something done.

Oneiron339
  • Total Posts : 2075
RE: Beer Can Chicken Fans - Thu, 11/11/04 9:41 AM
Try this one! Marinate the chicken for several hours in Dale's sauce. Place an onion in the neck cavity, drink half the beer, add 1/4 cup vinegar, some garlic, and left over Dale's sauce to the can. I smoke the bird on the beer can on the smoker about 220 degrees for about 3-4 hours, basting every half hour or so.

oldfrt
  • Total Posts : 269
RE: Beer Can Chicken Fans - Sat, 11/13/04 12:38 PM
They turn out great! I bought one of those wire can holders and use that as it also provides more support for the chicken and beer.

I use a rub of Mesquite seasoning + some garlic salt after I smear some olive oil all over the bird. The oil seems to hold the spices on there better and lends to a crispier skin. Season the inside too.

After pouring out about a third of the can of beer I also put some of the same seasoning in the can with the beer. Do it over the sink BTW, it foams up pretty quickly. I like the Onion in the neck cavity idea, will try that next time.

Glad I got on here today ... we were wondering what to make for dinner tomorrow.

Don

strongkms
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Beer Can Chicken Fans - Wed, 11/17/04 11:48 AM
We do the beer can chicken all the time. I think it is great. I like to cook the chicken until it falls off of the bone. What we don't eat the first night we use the next night for mexican food.

Golivekayak
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Beer Can Chicken Fans - Thu, 11/24/05 1:09 PM
I cut a 3 inch slit down the middle of a beer (busch light) (can laying on it's side)can and folded the sides of the slit in a little bit. Then I put this with about 3/4 of beer still in the can into the turkey with other goodies. I had to do this because my turkey wouldn't fit in my oven standing up. It was a wonderful turkey shared by the family. And it was great finishing of some more beers and having conversation about how the turkey was cooked. I have also tried chickens stood up. Would small holes in the can work or is it best to cut the top off? Have a great day!!B

Michael Hoffman
RE: Beer Can Chicken Fans - Thu, 11/24/05 1:54 PM
Now that I know what beer can chicken is, along comes beer can turkey. For those who wish to enjoy this "delight," take a look here:

http://www.campchef.com/products/product_detail.php?id=183

By the way, they call it a Turkey Cannon.

tiki
RE: Beer Can Chicken Fans - Thu, 11/24/05 8:01 PM
quote:

Now that I know what beer can chicken is, along comes beer can turkey. For those who wish to enjoy this "delight," take a look here:

http://www.campchef.com/products/product_detail.php?id=183

By the way, they call it a Turkey Cannon.

Cool---thanks Michael---Camp Chef makes great stuff!--Ive got the Pro 90 model stove---three burners--and folds up---plus the pro model grill that fits over two of the burners---killier unit!--i have seen another turkey Beer Can cooker--but that one looks pretty solid and would work well in the oven or on the que---may have to get me one of those.

Michael Hoffman
RE: Beer Can Chicken Fans - Thu, 11/24/05 8:19 PM
I don't have any Camp Chef stuff, but I understand they make top-notch products. The only other thing I've ever seen for beer-can chicken is a Weber product that sells for something like $35.

GordonW
  • Total Posts : 924
RE: Beer Can Chicken Fans - Fri, 11/25/05 4:08 PM
I do beer can chicken in the oven. With the rack (about $7 each from Bed, Bath and Beyond), in a roasting pan. Some water in the bottom of the pan catches the spatters, and with the drippings and such produces a great sauce. Favorite flavor is minced garlic and rosemary, in a ziploc bag for a few hours before to infuse. Cola, soda water and other drinks produce good results -- don't always have beer in cans on hand.

BrewHaHa
  • Total Posts : 28
RE: Beer Can Chicken Fans - Wed, 12/28/05 9:19 AM
Because the bird is standing, the fat drips away and the skin usually comes out nice and crispy crispy. I've experimented with other ligquids, like a green apple or orange soda and coke. I still prefer beer, because it doesn't overwhelm the flavor of the bird. Plus it is an additional reason to open a beer. Leftovers go great in fajitas or as addition to salad.

roadrash
  • Total Posts : 231
RE: Beer Can Chicken Fans - Mon, 08/7/06 5:00 PM
I did beer can chickens last night with a dry rub and it was the best chicken I have ever cooked! The skin was just incredible - crunchy yet juicy. Carving the bird was absurdly easy - I could just pull the pieces off the carcass, it was so tender. This is an absolutely no-brains, anyone can do it, fantastic way to cook chicken!

curried bluebonnet
  • Total Posts : 108
RE: Beer Can Chicken Fans - Wed, 10/25/06 3:03 PM
We love beer can chicken here--never did it in the oven though. I spritz with a lemon flavored olive oil, rub with spices or a mix (the iced tea sounds interesting), usually a spicy one. Stuff a cut lemon inside, take a few swigs of beer of choice, add the seasonings to the can, insert chicken and there you go. Oh--I cheat and use the can holder after I dumped one over on the way to the grill--don't ask. It does give it more stability. And if I am going to the trouble to do one (long grilling time), I'll always do 2 to have leftovers. Chicken just melts in your mouth. I know what we are having this weekend! Great idea!(I got S. Raichlen's beer can chicken cookbook really cheap at a used book store--has great spice rub ideas there.

roadrash
  • Total Posts : 231
RE: Beer Can Chicken Fans - Wed, 10/25/06 4:43 PM

Turkey cannon. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

BunglingBill
  • Total Posts : 218
RE: Beer Can Chicken Fans - Fri, 03/30/07 1:01 PM
Bill’s Indoor/Outdoor Beer Can Chicken (Two Methods)
Recipes courtesy of BunglingBill

Method #1
Indirect grilling (on a gas grill)

Special Equipment:

(1) Wood chips, soaked in cold water, to cover, for 1 hour and drained. Bill uses Jack Daniel’s Wood Smoking Chips (made from 100% Jack Daniel’s Oak Aging Barrels). Mesquite chips also impart a nice flavor
(2) A decent grill . . . not one of those Chinese imported discount-store specials.
(3) Bill uses one of those new-fangled devices (sold by Wal-Mart) specially designed for “beer can chicken” … it holds a beer can and then the chicken. Very sturdy!
(4) A close-by bottle of Jack Daniels to whet your whistle while you are pulling all of this together!

Ingredients:

1 large (about 4-pounds) whole chicken
3 tablespoons (or more) of your favorite dry barbecue rub (Bill uses Bad Byron’s Butt Rub™)
1 can beer (brand doesn’t make a whole lot of difference. . . but Texas’ Lone Star is always superior to any beer brewed “up nawth!”
“Jack Daniel’s Grilling Sauce™” Optional . . . (See *Cook’s Notes)

Directions:

Remove and discard the fat just inside the body cavities of the chicken. Remove the package of giblets, and set aside for another use, or put into the garbage (MY preference). Rinse the chicken, inside and out, under cold running water. Then drain and blot dry, inside and out, with paper towels. Sprinkle the rub inside the body and neck cavities, then rub another tablespoon or so all over the skin of the bird. Rub another tablespoon or so of the mixture between the flesh and skin. Cover and refrigerate the chicken while you preheat the grill.

Set up the grill for indirect grilling, placing a drip pan (see Cook’s Notes*) in the center. If using a charcoal grill, preheat it to medium. If using a gas grill, place all the wood chips in the smoker box and preheat the grill to high; then, when smoke appears, lower the heat to medium . . . yeah!

Pop the tab on the beer can. Using a "church key"-style can opener, make 3 or 4 holes in the top of the can. Drink the top inch of beer. Holding the chicken upright, with the opening of the body cavity down, insert the beer can into the cavity.

When ready to cook, if using charcoal, toss half the wood chips on the coals. Oil the grill grate. Stand the chicken up in the center of the hot grate, over the drip pan. Spread out the legs to form a sort of tripod, to support the bird (unless using the gadget I described).

Cover the grill and cook the chicken, until fall-off-the-bone tender, about 2 hours. If using charcoal, add 10 to 12 fresh coals per side and the remaining chips after 1 hour. A meat thermometer, placed in a meaty part of the bird (not touching a bone) should register about 180° F.

Using tongs, lift the bird to a cutting board or platter, holding a large metal spatula underneath the beer can for support. (Have the board or platter right next to the bird to make the move shorter. Be careful not to spill hot beer on yourself.) Let stand for 5 minutes before carving the meat off the upright carcass. (Toss the beer can out along with the carcass).

*Cook’s Notes:

• Bill uses a clean 8-inch square Pyrex® baking dish, sprayed with PAM® as a drip dish. Then the drippings can be basted back onto the chicken with a basting brush or turkey baster.
• Bill likes to brush a little (DON’T overdo it) “Jack Daniel’s Grilling Sauce™” on the bird during the last 15 minutes or so. This is a personal thing.

Method #2
Cooking in an oven

Special Equipment:

(1) Bill uses one of those new-fangled devices (sold by Wal-Mart) specially designed for “beer can chicken” … it holds a beer can and then the chicken. Very sturdy!
(2) A pan or Pyrex® dish to place under the chicken to catch the drippings.

Ingredients:

1 large (about 4-pound) whole chicken
3 tablespoons (or more) of your favorite dry barbecue rub (Bill uses Bad Byron’s Butt Rub™)
1 can beer (brand doesn’t make a whole lot of difference. . . but Texas’ Lone Star is always superior to any beer brewed “up nawth!”
Liquid Smoke (optional – See *Cook’s Notes)

Directions:

Remove and discard the fat just inside the body cavities of the chicken. Remove the package of giblets, and set aside for another use, or put into the garbage (MY preference). Rinse the chicken, inside and out, under cold running water. Then drain and blot dry, inside and out, with paper towels.

Sprinkle the rub inside the body and neck cavities, then rub another tablespoon or so all over the skin of the bird. Rub another tablespoon or so of the mixture between the flesh and skin. Cover and refrigerate the chicken while you preheat the oven.

Remove one rack from the oven, leaving in place the lower rack (to accommodate the height of the chicken and its support).

Preheat the oven to 400º F.

Pop the tab on the beer can. Using a "church key"-style can opener, make 3 or 4 holes in the top of the can. Drink the top inch of beer.

Holding the chicken upright, with the opening of the body cavity down, insert the beer can into the cavity. If using the beer-can-chicken-support described above, following manufacturer’s instructions.

Place the assembled chicken in the drip pan. Slide the whole works into the preheated oven.

After 20 minutes, lower the temperature to 350º F. Cook for 2 hours. Baste occasionally.

Lower the temperature to 300º F. Cook the chicken, until fall-off-the-bone tender, about 1 more hour. A meat thermometer, placed in a meaty part of the bird (not touching a bone) should register about 180° F.

Using tongs, lift the bird to a cutting board or platter, holding a large metal spatula underneath the beer can for support. (Have the board or platter right next to the bird to make the move shorter. Be careful not to spill hot beer on yourself.)

Let stand for 5 minutes before carving the meat off the upright carcass. (Toss the beer can out along with the carcass).

*Cook’s Notes:

• Bill uses a clean 8-inch square Pyrex® baking dish, sprayed with PAM® as a drip dish. Then the drippings can be basted back onto the chicken with a basting brush or turkey baster.
• If you miss the “smoke” smell and flavor you get with an outdoor grill, you can brush a little “Liquid Smoke” on the bird (and in the cavity). Put a little (about a tablespoon) in the drip bowl as well. It won’t replace the “real” smoke flavor, but it helps.

Big Ugly Mich
  • Total Posts : 1302
RE: Beer Can Chicken Fans - Mon, 04/9/07 12:04 AM
quote:
Originally posted by pogophilesThe title of this thread had me half anticipating a device that you strap onto the beer can to improve air flow around the chicken...
You mean a convection oven. They come with microwave settings so you can make a short order cook's dreams come true, start something in the nuker and finish it in the oven, or vice versa.

Mine holds a four pound frier if I'm making beer butt chicken, but makes it taste so awesome. I'd like to get a fan that will go in the oven so I can make my thanksgiving bird like this, which is possible if you fill a big enough can with any fluid, except sugar free pop, to my knowledge.

I use this for the thanksgiving bird in the interim: http://www.nesco.com/products/?category=700&subcat=400&id=297

db1105
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: Beer Can Chicken Fans - Wed, 04/11/07 5:06 PM
I use chicken broth instead of beer. I just rub olive oil on the skin and season with seasoned salt and pepper. It always comes out great.

Big Ugly Mich
  • Total Posts : 1302
RE: Beer Can Chicken Fans - Wed, 04/11/07 6:18 PM
quote:
Originally posted by BunglingBillIf you miss the “smoke” smell and flavor you get with an outdoor grill, you can brush a little “Liquid Smoke” on the bird (and in the cavity). Put a little (about a tablespoon) in the drip bowl as well. It won’t replace the “real” smoke flavor, but it helps.
Liquid smoke IS real smoke. They boil water and burn some wood at the same time so the steam absorbs the eau de smoke, then let the steam condense, complete with smoke in it. The problem with it is, they don't use hickory or mesquite or any of the good smokin' woods to get the smoke. Just pine, as it's cheap and smokes at the drop of a hat.

CajunKing
  • Total Posts : 6317
RE: Beer Can Chicken Fans - Thu, 04/12/07 9:09 AM
Instead of beer try a can of pineapple juice

and baste the bird with a honey glaze

my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

ScreamingChicken
RE: Beer Can Chicken Fans - Thu, 04/12/07 12:39 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Big Ugly Mich

The problem with it is, they don't use hickory or mesquite or any of the good smokin' woods to get the smoke. Just pine, as it's cheap and smokes at the drop of a hat.
According to their respective websites Colgin's uses hickory, mesquite, apple, and pecan (http://www.colgin.com/public/lsfaq.aspx#howmade) and Wright's uses hickory and mesquite (http://www.bgfoods.com/brand_wrights.asp). Liquid smoke made with pine would probably taste pretty vile...

Brad

Dr of BBQ
  • Total Posts : 3716
RE: Beer Can Chicken Fans - Sun, 04/15/07 12:58 AM
Ok here is the original recipe I got from the guy more than 25 years ago that swore he invented Beer Can Chicken. He was a beach bum on the beach at Padre Island in Corpus Christy Texas. Now when I say beach bum I mean bum this guy lived on the sand dunes year around which is strictly prohibited.

It was early spring and a friend and I went surf fishing for sharks. As we were sitting on the beach drinking more beer than fishing and out of no where this guy walks up and ask if we’d give him a beer or two if he cooked us lunch. LoL We were on the Padre Island National Seashore, and it is the longest remaining undeveloped stretch of barrier island in the world, so I asked how was he going to cook us lunch? He said well I have 3 chickens on ice and all we need is 3 beer cans and a fire. I gave this guy a beer and he starts telling me about a way to cook chickens. Come to find out there was more to the recipe than just a chicken and a fire. But I was fascinated with the recipe that was coming out a little at a time with each beer the guy drank. Finally I put together a list of ingredients and equipment we needed and drove into town. I first went to my house and picked up my grill, a five-gallon bucket and some spices. Then I went to a store and bought another case of beer and some ice. I got back to the beach and we cooked beer can chicken. Here is the original recipe (which the guy called Dancing Chickens) as he gave it to me. By the way this is a “Real Mans Recipe”.

What you’ll need

Marinades and Rubs
3 cans of Beer
3 whole onions
3 green peppers
3 lemons
3 limes
3 cloves of garlic
1 Dozen Peperchino Peppers
1 Bottle Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce
1 Bottle A1 Steak Sauce
2 Cans of Unsweetened Pineapple Juice (Real Pineapple Juice, not Drink)
1 5-Gallon Bucket

Marinades and Rubs

The Rub
Spice Rub for Chicken
To apply spice rubs, sprinkle over the Chicken and then gently massage in the seasonings to make sure they adhere. As a general rule, use about 1 tablespoon of rub per portion of poultry or meat and 1 teaspoon of rub per portion of fish. Refrigerate rubbed meat for at least an hour to maximize the return and insuring a spicier, more intense flavor.
Makes about 1/2 cup
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons curry powder
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon ground allspice
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Combine all ingredients in small bowl.

The Marinade and The Process
Cut the Onions, Green Peppers, Peperchino Peppers, Lemons, and Limes, into quarters. No need to peal anything just cut (squeeze it) and throw skin, seeds and all into the bucket.
Smash the garlic and throw skins and all into the bucket.
Dump the Unsweetened Pineapple Juice into the bucket
Add two cups each of A1 and Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce to the mixture.
Trim the excess fat from the chickens and throw them into the bucket.
Put a plate on top of the chickens to force them into the mixture.
Let it sit in your fridge or add ice to the bucket to keep the mixture cold for at least 4 hours but it’s better if you marinate it for 24 hours.

After the marinating remove the chickens from the mixture and pat them dry. Fill a beer can 3/4s full of the marinating mixture and put the chickens on the can. Place a Peperchino Pepper into the neck to retain the steam inside the chicken. Sprinkle the dry rub on the chicken inside and out. Then run your fingers between the skin and the meat to separate it and sprinkle the rub in between. If you take your time you’ll find you can get rub all over the meat even on most of the legs.

Now folks will tell you, you need a fire on both sides of the grill and not directly under the chickens but that’s not necessary. You just need to have less heat directly under the chicken so you limit the flare-ups when the grease drips off the skin. Cook the chickens until done, and then serve.I usually just lay the chicken on it’s back and cut them into halves right down the center of the breast bone and that makes a great presentation.
Enjoy
Jack@DrofBBQ.com

boyardee65
  • Total Posts : 1457
RE: Beer Can Chicken Fans - Tue, 04/24/07 11:53 AM
MMMMMMMMMM Beer Butt Chicken!!! One of my all time favorites. Nice pic Roadrash!!!!