whats your fav recipe??

strawberry_margarita
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
whats your fav recipe?? - Sun, 05/2/04 5:59 PM
i'm doing a project in school and we're coming up with our own ranch and at the end we are having our own chili cook-off and i was wanting to know some really good chili recipes if you could help me that would be really great

strawberry_margarita
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: whats your fav recipe?? - Sun, 05/2/04 6:18 PM
will somebody please help me? my group does not have a recipe but we know that we want to make is hot and good[:)

emsmom
  • Total Posts : 955
RE: whats your fav recipe?? - Wed, 05/12/04 12:02 PM
My chili recipe uses beans-I don't know if thats the kind you want or not. But here goes:

Chile

2 lbs ground beef-browned
1 onion chopped fine
Salt
Pepper
Garlic Salt
Paprika
Lots of chili powder
Cook ground beef until no longer pink-add onion and cook till tender-add spices=then add
1 large can tomato sauce
pinch sugar
Add a little more spices if needed, then

1 can Bushes brown sugar baked beans
1 can Lucks pinto beans

Cook on low for an hour or so until flavors are blended.

I don't usually measure my spices, I just shake and taste until I am satisfied
quote:
Originally posted by strawberry_margarita

i'm doing a project in school and we're coming up with our own ranch and at the end we are having our own chili cook-off and i was wanting to know some really good chili recipes if you could help me that would be really great

efuery
  • Total Posts : 630
RE: whats your fav recipe?? - Wed, 05/12/04 12:34 PM
Here is mine - i don't measure so everything is to taste.

Brown chopped onions, garlic, LEAN ground beef and/or stew beef and chopped green chilies (canned are fine) in a large sauce pan.

Add a couple cans of chopped stewed tomatoes (mexican or southwestern style is OK) and a couple cans of beans (black, pinto, kidney whatever) - do not drain beans

Add a whole bunch of chili powder, cayanne pepper and a good dash of cumin (secret ingredient). salt and pepper, too. a touch of cilantro is nice.

To add heat use chopped hot peppers - jalapeno, serrano, habenero
Be VERY careful when preping these peppers as the oils can irritate the skin. Do not touch your face! Wash hands immediately with soapy water when finished

A couple drops of liquid smoke can also add to the flavor but use it very sparingly as it can easily overpower the dish.

If chili tases too tomato-ey I will sometimes add a can of beef broth or a couple of boullion cubes. Let simmer until stew beef (if used) is fork tender ( about 3 hours).

I like my chili topped with shredded cheddar cheese and served with fritos or yellow corn tortilla chips.

efuery
  • Total Posts : 630
RE: whats your fav recipe?? - Wed, 05/12/04 3:25 PM
What kind of "ranch" are you supposed to come up with, anyway? Dude ranch for tourists or cattle ranch for meat farming? If it is a cattle ranch you really could expand far beyond beef (extra credit for "thinking outside of the box"). Bison, Deer and Elk farms are gaining popularity especially in the wake of mad cow scares and bovine growth hormones. For something really unique you could use more exotic game meats such as bison, elk, ostrich, and venison raised at your "ranch". American Bison (incorrectly called buffalo) is readily available at most supermarkets and venison and elk meats can be ordered from farms online. Ostrich may be hard to get but it is out there. If ordering online make sure everything has been USDA inspected.

just a thought.