The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend

Wallyum
  • Total Posts : 627
  • Reward points : 0
The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend - Wed, 05/5/04 12:56 AM
Soccer games and family requests didn't leave me much time for dinner this evening, so when I found a moment I stopped into Dixie Chili in Newport for a 3-way and a couple of coneys before work. The Newport store is the one that I've been going to for almost 40 years, but since my grandparents passed away in 2002 my visits have become less frequent. After tonight they may have stopped for good. I couldn't believe how far downhill Dixie has gone in the past few years. The chili is almost tasteless anymore and seems to have been thickened up by something, possibly cornstarch. I ate one of my Coneys straight and it was so bland that I doused the second one with Texas Pete hot sauce just to give it some life. My 3 way was equally as lifeless, with the cheese being the strongest flavor, followed closely by the crackers. The taste of the chili was almost non-existent. This used to be my meal of choice on birthdays, graduation, etc. A co-worker and fellow lifelong Dixie eater claims that people he has talked to have told him that it hasn't been the same since the chief cook retired a few years back. After tonight I'm inclined to believe him. Guess I'll be a Skyline guy from now on.

ericm
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend - Wed, 05/26/04 6:12 PM
Wallyum,

You need not despaire completely. If you like the location in Newport there is a hole-in-the-wall just up the street from Dixie on Monmouth called Gourmet Chilli which is quite good, IMO.

As for Dixie, I must concur. The last time I had the chilli I wasn't sure if it was chilli or spaghetti sauce. Now I only go to Dixie if I want an alligator (for those unfamiliar it is a hotdog, dill pickle spear, mayo, mustard and shredded cheese).

Ort. Carlton.
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend - Wed, 05/26/04 7:39 PM
Dearfolk,
Fortunately, Camp Washington Chili is alive and thriving in their new location at Colerain & Hopple Streets, just a jump off the interstate.
In absentia, gimme a five-way!
And bring on the reports of the good independent chili places! I've been to Park Chili on Hamilton Avenue (U. S. 127) in (I think it is) Mt. Healthy, and heard great things about Blue Ash Chili in Blue Ash. There's a good one in Newport called Bluto's Chili (or something similar - I can't remember; I went there in 1982).
As for me, I won't be...
Whistling Dixie, Ort. Carlton in Sunny Athens, Georgia.
P. S. Dixie Chili's name came from the fact that the original location was on Dixie Highway... or so I am told.

Wallyum
RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend - Wed, 05/26/04 11:18 PM
quote:
Originally posted by ericm

Wallyum,

You need not despaire completely. If you like the location in Newport there is a hole-in-the-wall just up the street from Dixie on Monmouth called Gourmet Chilli which is quite good, IMO.

As for Dixie, I must concur. The last time I had the chilli I wasn't sure if it was chilli or spaghetti sauce. Now I only go to Dixie if I want an alligator (for those unfamiliar it is a hotdog, dill pickle spear, mayo, mustard and shredded cheese).

I've eaten at Gourmet Chili many times, all late at night, and all winding up with some kind of unique story. Newport just isn't the same since they decided to clean up their image.
As for the Alligator, I'll have to try one of those the next time my in-laws are in town. (We always wind up at the Erlanger location when they visit.) I haven't had a hot dog on my coneys for years, but a pickle sounds interesting.

TJ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 4481
RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend - Wed, 05/26/04 11:22 PM
Odd coincidence: a relative of mine works at Gourmet Chili, and another at Dixie - the Newport locations mentioned above.

Wallyum
RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend - Wed, 05/26/04 11:30 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Dearfolk,
Fortunately, Camp Washington Chili is alive and thriving in their new location at Colerain & Hopple Streets, just a jump off the interstate.
In absentia, gimme a five-way!
And bring on the reports of the good independent chili places! I've been to Park Chili on Hamilton Avenue (U. S. 127) in (I think it is) Mt. Healthy, and heard great things about Blue Ash Chili in Blue Ash. There's a good one in Newport called Bluto's Chili (or something similar - I can't remember; I went there in 1982).
As for me, I won't be...
Whistling Dixie, Ort. Carlton in Sunny Athens, Georgia.
P. S. Dixie Chili's name came from the fact that the original location was on Dixie Highway... or so I am told.

I try to hit all of the local "parlors" at least once. Pleasant Ridge Chili was a favorite for a while for my 2am lunch. Chili Time in St. Bernard is pretty good also. I like the "Slaw Way" and "Slaw Dogs" at The Chili Company. (Yep, 3-ways and coneys with cole slaw.)
I'm drawing a blank on Bluto's. Odd, because 1982 was right in the midst of my chili years in college. (I have a co-worker who might remember. He's a lifetime Newportonian.) I'm going to have to think of an excuse to try Blue Ash Chili and Park Chili. (My wife and daughter aren't devotees.) Maybe if I can convince them that it's all in the name of roadfood.

Wallyum
RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend - Wed, 05/26/04 11:43 PM
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Odd coincidence: a relative of mine works at Gourmet Chili, and another at Dixie - the Newport locations mentioned above.

That's not Ruby, is it? She's been at Dixie since I've been going there and even went to the short-lived Clifton location for a while.

TJ Jackson
RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend - Thu, 05/27/04 8:21 AM
Wally: Neither relative's name is Ruby, so no.

Also, I consider Blue Ash Chili to have the very best CONEY of all the chili parlors in town, so do get up there. Be patient, it is hard to spot.

My dad loves the double deckers there, but I never got into those....

Wallyum
RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend - Thu, 05/27/04 11:36 PM
I did a search on Yahoo last night and came up with a list of different chili parlors in the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky area. I've decided that I'm going to make my summer project a visit to each one of them. I'm going to get the same thing at each one, a three way and two coneys, and keep careful notes, then possibly post my findings. I told my wife about the idea at dinner. "Won't you get awful sick of chili?" was her reply. Sick of CHILI? Is that possible? She was greatly relieved to find that I didn't expect her to accompany me, so the idea got her blessing. I think I'll start with Gourmet Chili in Newport this weekend. (I should buy some Wiedemann first.)

Ort. Carlton.
RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend - Fri, 05/28/04 5:23 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Wallyum

I did a search on Yahoo last night and came up with a list of different chili parlors in the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky area. I've decided that I'm going to make my summer project a visit to each one of them. I'm going to get the same thing at each one, a three way and two coneys, and keep careful notes, then possibly post my findings. I told my wife about the idea at dinner. "Won't you get awful sick of chili?" was her reply. Sick of CHILI? Is that possible? She was greatly relieved to find that I didn't expect her to accompany me, so the idea got her blessing. I think I'll start with Gourmet Chili in Newport this weekend. (I should buy some Wiedemann first.)

Wallyum,
Do they still make Royal Amber, or has that gone the way of Christian Moerlein and Christian Moerlein Doppel Dark and Schoenling Lager Beer and Burger Beer and Burger Light Beer? - I'm a can collector, and those brands used to grace Cincinnati area shelves... most of them available in cans. And I'll drink Little Kings or Hudepohl instead of national brands any day... especially on draft.
I'll be really interested in reading your reports from the battlefront, as it were. The Ernie Pyle of Cincinnati chili - who'd'a thunk it? Keep the antacid handy; you might need it.
Fivewaylessly, Ort. Carlton in Unchilied Athens, Ga.

Wallyum
RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend - Fri, 05/28/04 5:54 PM
quote:

quote:

Wallyum,
Do they still make Royal Amber, or has that gone the way of Christian Moerlein and Christian Moerlein Doppel Dark and Schoenling Lager Beer and Burger Beer and Burger Light Beer? - I'm a can collector, and those brands used to grace Cincinnati area shelves... most of them available in cans. And I'll drink Little Kings or Hudepohl instead of national brands any day... especially on draft.
I'll be really interested in reading your reports from the battlefront, as it were. The Ernie Pyle of Cincinnati chili - who'd'a thunk it? Keep the antacid handy; you might need it.

Nope, Royal Amber has been gone for years. So has Wiedemann as a matter of fact. I'm also a can collector, but I limit myself to Kentucky and Cincinnati brands. There's a bar in Ft. Thomas that has an old Royal Amber sign that I lust after. (At least they did have it. It's been a while since I've been there because of an incident with a golf game in the back room. I bet they've forgotten me by now though.)
I ran my Chili Chronicles idea by the guys I work with last night. The 23 year old got a pretty good laugh out of it. The 48 year old was as fired up as I was. We tried to explain our excitement to the 23 year old, but he's still a little wet behind the ears. He thinks a bar full of bimbos on a Friday night is exciting. Uh........yeah, well, WOO-HOO, chili rules.....I guess.
I'm not really concerned about how my stomach will handle it. Chili is something I can eat several times a week without a problem. If I were rating White Castles I'd keep a stomach pump close by, but chili and I go way back.

marti223
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend - Tue, 12/28/04 11:22 AM
You need to go farther North to Camp Washington - I went to U.C. for 6 years and checked them (Cincinnati Chili Parlors) all out believe me
quote:

Soccer games and family requests didn't leave me much time for dinner this evening, so when I found a moment I stopped into Dixie Chili in Newport for a 3-way and a couple of coneys before work. The Newport store is the one that I've been going to for almost 40 years, but since my grandparents passed away in 2002 my visits have become less frequent. After tonight they may have stopped for good. I couldn't believe how far downhill Dixie has gone in the past few years. The chili is almost tasteless anymore and seems to have been thickened up by something, possibly cornstarch. I ate one of my Coneys straight and it was so bland that I doused the second one with Texas Pete hot sauce just to give it some life. My 3 way was equally as lifeless, with the cheese being the strongest flavor, followed closely by the crackers. The taste of the chili was almost non-existent. This used to be my meal of choice on birthdays, graduation, etc. A co-worker and fellow lifelong Dixie eater claims that people he has talked to have told him that it hasn't been the same since the chief cook retired a few years back. After tonight I'm inclined to believe him. Guess I'll be a Skyline guy from now on.

TJ Jackson
RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend - Tue, 12/28/04 11:37 AM
I didn't have to report to work today til 10am, so I stopped at at Camp Washington Chili for breakfast - in this case meaning eggs over easy with goetta and a couple of cheese coneys.

Everything was OK, nothing was outstanding. It continually suprises me that everyone sings the praises of this place, including local media, but I think it really isn't any better than Skyline or Gold Star.

The place for the best Cincinnati style chili is Blue Ash Chili, even father north :-)

enginecapt
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend - Thu, 12/30/04 7:35 AM
1. What is a Coney?

2. What is 3 way?

3. What is 5 way?

TJ Jackson
RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend - Thu, 12/30/04 11:40 AM
I believe the following page on the website of one of Cincinnati's two top chili parlors will explain it all -- and more -- with pics

http://www.skylinechili.com/skyline_essentials.php

Allow me to add that Dixie Chili also does a 6 way - a 5 way topped with chopped real garlic. One of my inlaws works at Dixie Chili and says that is a really popular menu item there

hatteras04
  • Total Posts : 1070
RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend - Thu, 12/30/04 12:32 PM
Good site for explination TJ. Just a couple of more points for enginecapt to consider should he/she ever make it to Cincinnati. The coneys are quite small. If they are the only thing eaten three or four makes for a good order size. I usually just get one or two as a side with a three way. Which brings me to a very important point: the correct way to eat a three way. When first faced with a plate of spaghetti noodles covered with sauce and cheese the temptation for first timers to twirl the spaghetti onto their fork will be great. However, this is not how a three way was intended to be consumed. Cut down through the layers with your fork and then scoop the bite with the fork turned flat. It takes a little practice so definitely ask for a bib at first. But this method ensures that you get equal amounts of cheese and sauce in every bite.

Happy eating.

Tristan Indiana
  • Total Posts : 328
RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend - Thu, 12/30/04 12:53 PM
quote:

quote:

quote:

Wallyum,

Nope, Royal Amber has been gone for years. So has Wiedemann as a matter of fact. I'm also a can collector, but I limit myself to Kentucky and Cincinnati brands. There's a bar in Ft. Thomas that has an old Royal Amber sign that I lust after. (At least they did have it. It's been a while since I've been there because of an incident with a golf game in the back room. I bet they've forgotten me by now though.)
I ran my Chili Chronicles idea by the guys I work with last night. The 23 year old got a pretty good laugh out of it. The 48 year old was as fired up as I was. We tried to explain our excitement to the 23 year old, but he's still a little wet behind the ears. He thinks a bar full of bimbos on a Friday night is exciting. Uh........yeah, well, WOO-HOO, chili rules.....I guess.
I'm not really concerned about how my stomach will handle it. Chili is something I can eat several times a week without a problem. If I were rating White Castles I'd keep a stomach pump close by, but chili and I go way back.
Is Christian Moerlein still available? My understanding was that they went bankrupt, that they had product but it was held due to finanicial litigation. But I have heard commercials recently on 700 for CM.

TJ Jackson
RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend - Thu, 12/30/04 2:07 PM
All too true, Hatteras

I'll add a personal note: the spaghetti sits in hot water at most of these places until dished up, and most of the time the workers scoop the spaghetti onto the plates without allowing any time for draining. The water tends to merge with the chili and, well, water it down. so....ask for your spaghetti "well drained, please"

TJ Jackson
RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend - Thu, 12/30/04 2:08 PM
I don't drink, TI, so I don't keep up with such matters.

Possibly Wallyum or Jim McKee will have some input on Christian Moerlein

enginecapt
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend - Thu, 12/30/04 2:14 PM
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

I believe the following page on the website of one of Cincinnati's two top chili parlors will explain it all -- and more -- with pics

http://www.skylinechili.com/skyline_essentials.php

Allow me to add that Dixie Chili also does a 6 way - a 5 way topped with chopped real garlic. One of my inlaws works at Dixie Chili and says that is a really popular menu item there
]

Well Mr Jackson, it sounds intriguing. If anyone knows of a place in Calif that serves such fare, I'd be obliged to hear of them. I don't forsee a Cincy trip in the foreseeable future.

TJ Jackson
RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend - Thu, 12/30/04 2:22 PM
Err, there is another current Roadfood topic that should pique your interest then:
Cincy Chili in San Diego
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5709

Wallyum
RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend - Fri, 12/31/04 12:47 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Tristan Indiana

quote:

quote:

quote:

Wallyum,

Is Christian Moerlein still available? My understanding was that they went bankrupt, that they had product but it was held due to finanicial litigation. But I have heard commercials recently on 700 for CM.

WOW! Haven't heard that name in a while. I remember splurging and picking up a 1/2 barrel of Christian Moerlein for my 21st birthday party. We had just finished getting our butts kicked in a softball tournament at NKU and most of the team went over to the Hudepohl dock with me to pick it up. They were really impressed that I was springing for the expensive stuff. I remember the guy at the dock giving us a bunch of Oktoberfest posters and other Hudy advertising stuff.
As for if it's still sold, I can't tell you. I haven't totally sworn off drinking, but I'm at a point where I rarely do much of it. We usually grill on my porch after the ball games on Friday night, and then I might have a couple, but other than that I hardly ever touch the stuff. I have some belated gifts to buy for my crew at work tomorrow, (because of last week's snow storms,) and I usually get them a gift certificate and a six pack of good beer. I'll check for CM and get back to you next year.

marti223
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend - Sat, 01/1/05 12:25 PM
I think you are right about Blue Ash Chili, I had forgotten about that place. I remember it was excellent! But also, I haven't lived in Cincinnati for 20+ years and things (and owners can change). SOmetimes the idiot children can take over a legend and ruin it. So I will cede to BA Chili. Skyline is a basically good and consistent chili parlor and am glad we can get some of the delicious stuff down here in Florida...both in the freezer section and in the restaurants in Ft. Lauderdale, Ft. Myers and Clearwater.[^
quote:
Originally posted by marti223

You need to go farther North to Camp Washington - I went to U.C. for 6 years and checked them (Cincinnati Chili Parlors) all out believe me!
quote:

poster_guy05
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend - Sat, 01/15/05 8:10 PM
Skyline Chili on Clifton. Home of Nick the Greek......... Thanks for the memories UC and Dabney Hall.... late 70's early 80s....I've been a skylini's fan ever since. Second best 3 way I've ever had!!!!!!!!!! (The first best has nothing to do with chili!)

mr chips
  • Total Posts : 4715
RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend - Wed, 01/26/05 2:34 AM
I may be in the minority here. Camp Washington was closed when I was in Cincinnati last summer and I went to the downtown Newport Dixie Chile on the recommendation of a local. I liked the 5 way.

Wallyum
RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend - Wed, 01/26/05 3:49 AM
quote:
Originally posted by mr chips

I may be in the minority here. Camp Washington was closed when I was in Cincinnati last summer and I went to Dthe downtown Newport Dixie Chile on the recommendation of alocal. I liked the 5 way.

It's not bad if you didn't grow up with the original. I've just been disappointed by the changes over the past few years. I can't handle the 5 way anymore and I shudder to think of what internal difficulties would result from a 6 way.

Wallyum
RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend - Wed, 01/26/05 3:56 AM
quote:

Yes, Christian Moerlein is back. We saw it for sale at the Florence Sam's on Saturday when we weren't digging out from the 8 inches of snow we failed to get. It had a website on the bottom of the carton and it said it was brewed by the Christian Moerlein Brewing Company. I couldn't get the website to work, so I guess I missed a small detail.

mabk34
  • Total Posts : 28
RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend - Thu, 06/30/05 2:33 PM
quote:

Yes, Christian Moerlein is back. We saw it for sale at the Florence Sam's on Saturday when we weren't digging out from the 8 inches of snow we failed to get. It had a website on the bottom of the carton and it said it was brewed by the Christian Moerlein Brewing Company. I couldn't get the website to work, so I guess I missed a small detail.

Here's a link to an Enquirer story about Moerlein:

http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2004/04/01/biz_moerlein01.html

I've seen it at Kroger, but haven't tasted the "new" stuff.

mr chips
RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend - Sat, 11/5/05 1:07 PM
My bad. I goofed when I googled. At least it was not post number 1,000.

krissie
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend - Mon, 11/7/05 5:13 PM
hummmm chili very good test , I love also the tacos !!!!

mr chips
RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend - Fri, 11/11/05 1:04 AM
How far does the Cincinnati style chile belt extend?

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17805
RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend - Fri, 11/11/05 1:10 AM
In my case, about 44 inches.

jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1172
RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend - Fri, 11/11/05 8:40 AM
quote:
Originally posted by mr chips

How far does the Cincinnati style chile belt extend?

Mine used to be out to the last notch.

jmckee
RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend - Fri, 11/11/05 8:41 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Great minds run in the same channels. Either that, or fools think alike.

mr chips
RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend - Fri, 11/11/05 11:29 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Glad to be of service with such a good straight line.

Bone Man
  • Total Posts : 35
RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend - Wed, 01/18/06 2:40 PM
The Chili Belt? There was a Gold Star in Maysville, KY and there was an Empress in Portsmouth but it went out in less than a year. Tried to charge too much money for a little tiny plate of spaghetti.

Ort. Carlton., I've got 2 neon beer lights (really old ones) -- a Schlitz and a Pabst. I hang 'em in my Grotto on Summer nights and plug 'em in while I'm drinkin' (every night). They're great!

A pal of mine brought me 12 cans of Weidemann last week (he's been in federal prison for 18 years for blowin' up a post office and now he wants to re-do all the old stuff) and it was just as rotten and rank as it was 35 years ago when I was stealing sips from dad's Weidemann as he watched Sparky Anderson and The Big Red machine whomp everybody else. Hudy too back in them good days!

I've been ordering Dixie chili lately online by the 6-pack (I use it for hot dog sauce -- they sent me an e-mail and said the price goes up in February!!!!) and it tastes great. Maybe they stick close to the recipe on the canned stuff. I make my own Gold Star Chili -- here's the recipe:

http://www.recipezaar.com/133250

My other chili recipes are there too -- just click my name (Bone man).

I prolly have something more to say but I'm more or less too tired to type any more..........

Wallyum
RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend - Wed, 01/18/06 4:14 PM
quote:
Originally posted by mabk34

quote:

I've had several occasions to try Christian Moerlein since its return, and it seems to be Samuel Adams product relabeled for the Cincinnati market. That's not a bad thing. It's excellent beer and who doesn't like seeing a little local history preserved, even if it is in name only.

jmckee
RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend - Thu, 02/1/07 10:09 AM
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by mabk34

quote:

I've had several occasions to try Christian Moerlein since its return, and it seems to be Samuel Adams product relabeled for the Cincinnati market. That's not a bad thing. It's excellent beer and who doesn't like seeing a little local history preserved, even if it is in name only.

Here's an interesting story:

When Hudepohl reintroduced the Moerlein brand in the 1980s (1970s?), a friend of mine did the creative work for the ad campaign, so most of us who knew him drank a lot of free Moerlein. As a joke, my mom bought me three old original stoneware Moerlein bottles (two pints, one quart) on an antique shop expedition with her mother in Illinois. Great gift, nice to have, and after Mom died, looking at the bottles brought back very fond memories of her sense of humor.

Cut to a few years ago. The Cincinnati Art Museum opened the Cincinnati Wing, a terrific exhibit on the city's rich and varied art history. Our family loved it, but when my son, Ian, and I were ooohing and aaahing over the Rookwood Pottery exhibit, my wife, Vickie, tugged on my sleeve and said, "C'mere a minute."

On the other side of the Rookwood room was an exhibit of more "utilitarian" pottery, stuff people would use in everyday life--including the twin of one of my pint Moerlein bottles. The provenance card said it was on loan from the Cincinnati Historical Society.

We went home, talked it over, and decided to offer the Art Museum two of the bottles. So we contacted the appropriate curator, and lo and behold, they were due to return the one on display to the Historical Society very soon. They were delighted with our offer.

So now, in the Cincinnati Wing, there are two Moerlein bottles from the 1880s, one pint and one quart. And the provenance card identifies them as a gift of Jack, Vickie, and Ian McKee in memory of my mother, Darlene M. McKee. Mom's reaction would be in character: "They put the name of a dumb li'l ol' country girl with an 8th grade education in the Art Museum?"

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15059
RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend - Thu, 02/1/07 10:31 AM

We have a couple of Gold Star and Skyline Chili Parlors in the Louisville Area...100 miles from Cincinnati.

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13386
RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend - Thu, 02/1/07 11:37 AM
Hopefully one of those chili fast food stores will be in Tennessee. I like them both.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

CajunKing
  • Total Posts : 6317
RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend - Thu, 02/1/07 1:05 PM
Skyline is the more prolific of the main 3

Skyline has locations in:

Ohio: Cleveland, Columbus, Toledo, Mansfield, Dayton, and all over SW Ohio
Indiana: SE Indiana, Indianaplois area
Kentucky: Louisville, Lexington, N KY area and Russell in E KY
Michigan: Lansing & Monroe
Florida: Clear Water area, F Lauderdale, F Myers, Naples

Gold Star

Indiana: Lawrenceburg
Ohio: SW Ohio, Dayton, Columbus
Kentucky: N KY area

Emperess

Indiana: SE Indiana
Ohio: Greater Cincy area
Kentucky: N KY area, Lexington

Sorry Paul according to the Skyline website, no TN plans yet

BakersBoy
  • Total Posts : 302
RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend - Thu, 02/1/07 1:39 PM
Too all,

The Cincinnati Chili belt,(not my own) extends all the way to the Washington DC. area. We have the "Hard Times Cafe" featuring lots of different styles of chili. Check their web site:

www.hardtimes.com.

It really is quite good

BB

Wyatt_earl
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend - Mon, 02/12/07 10:55 PM
I tried the Skyline in Indianapolis once - they asked me if I wanted Garlic Bread with my four way and, when I ask for oystger crackers, look at me like I'd asked for baked lizards.

lynndunham
  • Total Posts : 194
RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend - Thu, 02/15/07 5:35 PM
I lived in Cincinnati 1965 to 1968. Loved the Skyline chili! Went through town about three years ago and stopped at a Skyline just off the freeway. The chili was good but not quite as spicy as I remembered. The waitress said that years ago the recipe had been modified to fit the tastes of the travelers. Too bad! I'd love to go back some time and try Blue Ash and some of the others. It's a lot of trouble to make Cinci chili from scratch and I've never been satisfied with the results. Good to know it can be ordered on-line. I don't imagine any of the stores in Arizona carry it.

jwagnerdsm
  • Total Posts : 89
RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend - Thu, 02/15/07 5:44 PM
We've moved a six pack of Hude from house to house for 15 years because my wife has this idea that if the Bengels make it to the Super Bowl, it will be worth some kind of premium from the company or something. This ringing any bells with anyone. We live in Iowa and that six pack has turned by now and is taking up valuable room in our auxiliary beverage fridge.

CajunKing
RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend - Fri, 02/16/07 6:38 PM
I have some of that too, don't know if 23 year old beer is any good though.

EJXD2
  • Total Posts : 36
RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend - Sat, 02/17/07 4:11 PM
Gosh, I'm not sure when you were in Lexington last, but we have neither Skyline nor Emperess, but we do have several Gold Stars.

I'm heading to Cincinnati tomorrow and looking forward to introducing my wife to something besides Skyline, which we like, and Gold Star, which we're not as crazy about.

Sounds as if Blue Ash is the concensus pick here.
quote:
Originally posted by CajunKing

Gold Star

Emperess

CajunKing
RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend - Sat, 02/17/07 5:11 PM
quote:
Originally posted by EJXD2

Gosh, I'm not sure when you were in Lexington last, but we have neither Skyline nor Emperess, but we do have several Gold Stars.

I'm heading to Cincinnati tomorrow and looking forward to introducing my wife to something besides Skyline, which we like, and Gold Star, which we're not as crazy about.

Sounds as if Blue Ash is the concensus pick here.

quote:
Originally posted by CajunKing

Gold Star

Emperess

Just posted what the skyline website had posted

Ort. Carlton.
RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend - Sat, 02/17/07 5:54 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7
Hopefully one of those chili fast food stores will be in Tennessee. I like them both.
Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Sundan?er,
There used to be several Empress Chili locations in Greater Nashville, including one I used to go to on Elliston Place... this would have been about 1985-6. Think there was one out Nolensville Pike and one way out Highway 100 in Belle Meade or Bellevue... ten or so miles from downtown.
You can see if any of them are still there, but I doubt it.
The franchise operator's b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l daughter ran the Elliston Place location and was occasionally just the impetus I needed to go in there. The chili was good, too.
For all those years I've wondered how she fared in the ensuing years.
Nostalgically, Ort. Carlton in (Still) Chili-Chilly 30601-land.

Ort. Carlton.
RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend - Sat, 02/17/07 6:03 PM
Dearfolk,
This is off the chili topic but square on the Cincinnati beer topic, so I hope y'all of our moderating vocation will let it stay.
Shortly after Christian Moerlein was introduced, the company added another such brew to its portfolio... Christian Moerlein Dark. People, that was the best American Dark Lager I can ever remember drinking... only Prior Double Dark from Christian Schmidt in Philadelphia was as good, and it was closer to a Porter in its execution, regardless of whether the Prior recipe used Lager yeast or Ale yeast... I had to use Prior restraint to stop drinking it!
My samples of Christian Moerlein Dark came in bottles: it was sold here for awhile. When I had it on draught in Cincinnati in 1982, I broke down and cried for joy... it was THAT good.
Somebody oughta get ahold of Mr. Hardman out there and talk him into resurrecting the dark brew, too.
Moer Lein Than Less, Ort. Carlton , Not Watching The Hudy Bowl in Athens, Georgia.
P. S. Someone from Cincinnati informs me that she saw Hudy and Hudy Delight in 12-pack cans recently in Fort Thomas, Kentucky... fresh stock, she was assured. Next trip, she's driving and promises to bring me a 12-pack of each.
Drink local whenever you can... keep 'em brewing!