Hot!Chicken Fried Steak

Page: << < ..678 > Showing page 7 of 8
Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13546
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/06/03 17:57:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Consiering the fact that a filet mignon is virtually without flavor, it is not only a waste of money, it is a waste of time and effort to use it for chicken fried steak.

In your opinion!

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/06/03 20:00:56 (permalink)
quote:

Consiering the fact that a filet mignon is virtually without flavor, it is not only a waste of money, it is a waste of time and effort to use it for chicken fried steak.
I was going to respond but not worth it!
nvb
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 468
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/06/03 21:35:53 (permalink)
quote:

Me thinks you've eaten one to many cow tenders, Micheal.
Pat T Hat
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 968
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/06/03 21:52:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

Trivia time.

What is the difference between "Country Fried Steak" and "Chicken Fried Steak"?

Country fried has that brown gravy like in those delicious looking pictures. Chicken fried has a white milk gravy and should have copious amounts of course or cracked pepper. Well that's the difference's drilled into me from a few diner kitchens. I believe it most likely depends on whose kitchen your in.
Fieldthistle
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1948
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/06/04 01:54:36 (permalink)
Hello All,
Shouldn't this be in the Chicken Section of this site?
(Just a joke, mods)
Take Care,
Fieldthistle
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18855
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/06/04 11:14:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Slick

quote:

Me thinks you've eaten one to many cow tenders, Micheal.

I've eaten a few. My father had a slaughter house and wholesale meat business. I spent my growing-up years cutting and delivering meat to hotels and restaurants.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/06/04 11:17:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Pat T Hat

quote:

Trivia time.

Country fried has that brown gravy like in those delicious looking pictures. Chicken fried has a white milk gravy and should have copious amounts of course or cracked pepper. Well that's the difference's drilled into me from a few diner kitchens. I believe it most likely depends on whose kitchen your in.

Wrong. Totally wrong.
cornfed
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 344
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/06/04 11:29:23 (permalink)
When I was a kid, I couldn't wait for CFS at our weekly Sunday dinner at Furr's. I haven't been to a Furr's in years. Does anyone know how their CFS is these days?
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3751
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/06/04 11:41:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Jimeats

quote:

I was going to respond but not worth it!

I would say that you did respond...........and got your opinion stated in tasteless way.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/06/04 12:19:41 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

quote:

Trivia time.

Wrong. Totally wrong.

It may be totally wrong but that is the way Mamaw Smith has been making it for my 65 years on this earth. Her country fried steak has always had a brown gravy. I will not get into it on how she prepares it. Her chicken fried steak has a white gravy.

It is one of my favorite Sunday dinners. I love her country fried steak.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/06/04 12:22:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

quote:

In your opinion!

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Of course it's my opinion. All comments on Roadfood are opinions. And, as everyone knows, opinions are like moderators -- everybody has one.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/06/04 12:25:22 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

quote:

Trivia time.

Wrong. Totally wrong.

While I have had country fried steak with cream gravy a few times, I've never had chicken fried steak with anything other than cream gravy.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/06/04 12:26:25 (permalink)
Michael, no offense mean't. I was merely qualifying your statement. That is the reason there is chocolate and vanilla

I hope the comment about moderators was not mean't the way it sounded.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/06/04 12:54:42 (permalink)
Why, Sundancer, I don't know what you mean. We all have moderators in our lives, whether we want them or not. I, myself, am a moderator on a political forum where I am regularly accused of being both a left-winger and a right-winger by folks commenting on the same message.
RibRater
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1862
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/06/04 16:35:38 (permalink)
quote:

I would tend to agree with that statement. I just polished off a very nice 2" filet that was wrapped in bacon, grilled, and smoked. Excellent. But a filet has no flavor unless I give it flavor (bacon, grill, smoke, marinate).

I know I'm late to the party, but here's my interpretation of cfs:

1) A country fried steak is flour and spices, fried, and covered with brown gravy to low cook until tender. Almost any type of steak...preferably bone-in...will do. Served with mashed potatoes and any other side you prefer.

2) A chicken fried steak is a hammered/tenderized boneless piece of beef that is breaded and fried. Then, served topped with white gravy, mashed potatoes, and any other side you prefer.

Opinions vary ;-)

roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/06/04 16:53:00 (permalink)
quote:

Seconds, anyone?

Holy Cow!
Feed me for a week.
Pat T Hat
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/06/04 22:10:46 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

quote:

Trivia time.

Wrong. Totally wrong.

That's just not possible. Quite a few mean old ladies that knew the business end of an iron skillet told me so" />!
tacchino
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 560
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/06/05 01:01:36 (permalink)
I'm about as southern as a Canadian Mountie, but check out what Miss Paula Dean from the Foodnetwork has to say about this subject :http://www.foodnetworkvideos.com/VideoPortal.html?p=SrnF_9Fxi8sYO0TPBU4jisUDq1gxkwI2&c=yREFo9X7iUt0F6GHUfzKJmGVQcRGUFHq

Looks like her dish, which she calls country fried steak, is basically bathed in a brown gravy. But again, I wouldn't know if this is accurate...I just know I love to watch her on TV!
bobj143
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/06/07 21:43:25 (permalink)
CFS in Austin, Tx. - Go to Threeadgill's Cafe Used to be a place called Andy's up near Taylor, TX that had a CFS that totally covered the plate. Now I live in FL and they do not know what CFS is, or BBQ either. Bummer .[/8)]

Lived in Houston until two years ago, and once Dirty's closed we never looked for a good CFS place there.
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/06/07 21:59:36 (permalink)
quote:

I'll have to agree with Mr. Hoffman that chicken-frying a filet mignon is a waste of time, money, and effort. The whole idea of chicken-frying a "steak" is to take an otherwise tough cut of meat and making it yummy.
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/06/07 22:13:26 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by bobj143

CFS in Austin, Tx. - Go to Threeadgill's Cafe Used to be a place called Andy's up near Taylor, TX that had a CFS that totally covered the plate. Now I live in FL and they do not know what CFS is, or BBQ either. Bummer .[/8)]

bob, if you can give me any more info about Andy's, I've love to hear it. I can guarantee you it's not around anymore (I live in Round Rock), but I want to know about it if you can tell me more.

I disagree about Threadgill's. Eddie has the most famous place in Austin, but I much prefer Hill's. I finally tried Tony's Southern Comfort a few weeks ago, and the CFS was really good, but I was disappointed in the sides.

Understand that I'm VERY picky about CFS. The best I ever remember having was at Massey's in Fort Worth a couple of years ago.

I don't like the heavily-breaded, deep-fried stuff, where the "crust" falls off at the first cut and leaves nothing but gray meat behind. Most of restaurant CFS falls in that category.
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/06/07 22:17:45 (permalink)
quote:

Seconds, anyone?

Judge, that looks absolutely delicious. I assume that's your son holding the plate??
killendo
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/06/10 22:38:27 (permalink)
Country-fried steak and chicken-fried steak are similar. Some food historians believe they're regional names for the same thing: a breaded, pan-fried steak served with gravy.

The concept is thought to have been brought to Southern states by German immigrants in the mid-1800s. It is, after all, similar to wiener schnitzel. Also, it was a good way to make use of the tougher cuts of meat available in the South at the time.

Though the name "country-fried steak" goes back at least that long, it's been called "chicken-fried steak" only since around the mid-20th century. The other distinction that's been known to come up is that, where country-fried steak is flour-dusted and generally served with brown gravy and onions, chicken-fried steak is breaded with eggs and served with cream gravy.

Here is a recipe with a little tongue in cheek humor to it, but bottom line is crispy steak, creamy gravy (a little extra black pepper ) and mashed potatoes. http://www.sourdoughhome.com/pfchickenfriedsteak.html

As far as restuarants go, Cracker Barrel makes a mean CFS; but not as good as Lonesome Oak Café in Adkins, Texas! If you get a chance to go through Adkins, make it a point to stop and try it out.

Enjoy
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/06/10 23:03:26 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by killendo

(C)ountry-fried steak and chicken-fried steak are similar. Some food historians believe they're regional names for the same thing: a breaded, pan-fried steak served with gravy.

The concept is thought to have been brought to Southern states by German immigrants in the mid-1800s. It is, after all, similar to wiener schnitzel. Also, it was a good way to make use of the tougher cuts of meat available in the South at the time.

Though the name "country-fried steak" goes back at least that long, it's been called "chicken-fried steak" only since around the mid-20th century. The other distinction that's been known to come up is that, where country-fried steak is flour-dusted and generally served with brown gravy and onions, chicken-fried steak is breaded with eggs and served with cream gravy.

Was there some reason why you lifted this directly from a Q&A in the syndicated Food Network Kitchens column without attributing it properly?
Pat T Hat
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/06/11 00:01:34 (permalink)
Threadgills IS as they say the bomb. Has to be ten years since I've been there and I had the enchiladas which were wonderful. My gal I was with ordered the CFS and I wished I had after trying(and finishing)hers. Well not really 'cause then I'd had both. Threadgills was one of my favorite things about Texas. They dip it in the egg again after they flour it. Well that's what they told me and I believe them. So nice and crispy/glazey outside and really juicy inside. The milk gravy was different than any I've had. Had some pizzaz. Thank you so much for reminding me about them. I have not tried this twice dip method yet. You talked me into it you silver-tongued devil, we'll be trying it this week sometime. Now if I knew how the Saltine Cracker Pie was made!?!
nvb
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 468
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/06/11 07:47:59 (permalink)
The CFS and Salty Pie recipes are here:

http://www.texasmonthly.com/food/onthemenu/threadrec.php
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/06/11 08:02:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Bushie

quote:

Seconds, anyone?

Judge, that looks absolutely delicious. I assume that's your son holding the plate??

Heck no; scarfed the pic from the web.
Pat T Hat
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/06/11 11:28:05 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Slick

The CFS and Salty Pie recipes are here:

http://www.texasmonthly.com/food/onthemenu/threadrec.php

That was so cool of you! Thank you so very much Slick!!! What a great artical too!
killendo
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/06/12 11:01:10 (permalink)

Was there some reason why you lifted this directly from a Q&A in the syndicated Food Network Kitchens column without attributing it properly?

Jeez Mike, I didn't get if from Food Network. Maybe they got their's from KnoxNews without proper attribution. I think I'll find another forum to frequent.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/06/12 12:04:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by killendo

Jeez Mike, I didn't get if from Food Network. Maybe they got their's from KnoxNews without proper attribution. I think I'll find another forum to frequent.

The KnoxNews piece you posted was a syndicated column from the Food Network. KnoxNews, and newspapers across the country, pay to run it.
Page: << < ..678 > Showing page 7 of 8
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1