Chicken Fried Steak

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 8
Author
colt45
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 29
2004/05/07 22:38:55 (permalink)

Chicken Fried Steak

I lived in Houston in the 70s & 80s, and the best Chicken Fried Steaks were at Dirty's on Richmond. I've been told that they closed down & now the best are at some place called Jack's on Shepard across from Cadillac Bar & Grill. Anyone know about Jack's?

Also does anyone know of a place that makes "REAL" CFS in AZ around Phoenix, Prescott or Flagstaff?

Does anyone ship CFS?

Thanks

Colt45

232 Replies Related Threads

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13565
    RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2004/05/09 18:58:30 (permalink)
    This is a topic for Bushie. I wished sometimes that I lived in Texas where they have the best CFS in the USA

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    colt45
    Junior Burger
    RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2004/05/09 20:05:30 (permalink)
    This was my first post.

Bushie????
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2004/05/09 20:22:48 (permalink)
    Sorry colt, you can't ship CFS.

My experience is that any CFS west of Texas S**CKS. Some CFS north of Texas is OK, but the further you get north, the more it S**CKS.

CFS in the northeast is non-existent. The deep South has some great CFS, but of course, we still think we have the best here in TX.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18938
    RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2004/05/09 21:39:35 (permalink)
    I make pretty good chicken fried steak here in Ohio. Of course, it doesn't compare to the chicken fried steak I used to eat at a place called Youngbloods in Austin about 100 years ago.
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2004/05/09 22:59:08 (permalink)
    I know this won't compare with a good restaurant CFS, but did you know that Tyson now offers a "Beef Pattie Fritter for Country Fried Steak" in a bag of 12 in your grocer's freezer. It is relatively new, so you might have to ask your local store if they can get it yet. For someone in an area without CFSs available, it could be an easy start to make your own.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2004/05/10 09:02:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

I make pretty good chicken fried steak here in Ohio. Of course, it doesn't compare to the chicken fried steak I used to eat at a place called Youngbloods in Austin about 100 years ago.

Allow me to amend my previous post:

CFS in the northeast is non-existent except at Michael Hoffman's house.

Mr. Hoffman, you've spoken of Youngblood's before, and I've read of it here. I sure wish I could have eaten there.
    efuery
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 630
    RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2004/05/10 09:08:20 (permalink)
    The Chili's Chain is the only place I have seen Chicken Fried Steak in the Northeast. It is edible but does not compare to my first Chicken Fried Steak experience which was at a Colorado truckstop. I don't remember which one - it was in Weld County somewhere.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18938
    RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2004/05/10 09:27:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bushie

quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Allow me to amend my previous post:

CFS in the northeast is non-existent except at Michael Hoffman's house.

Mr. Hoffman, you've spoken of Youngblood's before, and I've read of it here. I sure wish I could have eaten there.

There you go!

You're right. I have mentioned Youngbloods before.
    harpsichord_gal
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2004/05/10 12:02:54 (permalink)
    The best CFS I ever had was a takeout order "The Quartermaster" (1100 Bourbon St) in New Orleans. I was flattened with a horrible throat infection while visiting NoLa, and my friends brought me take out for several days. The CFS was not greasy, the meat was moist and tender. The white pan gravy was heavenly. The side of mashed potatoes was the real thing, not made from instant. It was the best 'take out' meal I've ever had. =)

Harpsichord_Gal
    chezkatie
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2004/05/10 12:22:21 (permalink)
    I hate to admit it but have never had chicken fried steak and would love to try it. I found the following recipe. Does it sound like the real thing?

4 (4 ounce) cube steaks
    1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
    1 3/4 teaspoons ground black pepper, divided
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    2 eggs, lightly beaten
    1/4 cup lard
    1 cup milk

1 Season meat with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper; set aside. In a shallow dish, mix flour with 1 teaspoon of the pepper. Dredge each steak in flour. Dip in beaten egg, then dredge in flour again.
    2 Heat lard in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Fry steaks 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
    3 Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the fat. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of the dredging flour into oil. Cook over medium heat for 1 minute, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of skillet. Gradually whisk in milk. Cook, stirring frequently, 3 to 4 minutes, or until thickened and bubbly. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoons pepper; gravy should be quite peppery.

Makes 4 servings

angelfood
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 204
    RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2004/05/10 12:29:07 (permalink)
    That's pretty much what I do, though I don't use lard. I just use cooking oil. And I play fast and loose with the seasoning rather than measure. Also, I'll add garlic salt, seasoning salt, whatever depending on my mood.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2004/05/10 13:23:21 (permalink)
    Sounds good, chezkatie. Instead of cube steak, however, I like to buy round steak, cut it into serving sizes, then pound those cutlets to tenderize.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4651
    RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2004/05/10 14:47:02 (permalink)
    Chicken fried steak calls for "real"steak. All these ones with ground meat are like a coated hamburger. Round steak works, and is traditional, but other cuts may be interesting. Mashed potatoes with cream gravy for sure. The more black and red pepper added to the flour, the more zing, and the better, for my money. Some places incorporate a bit of herbs in the mix , experiment with oregano and garlic powder also.
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2004/05/10 15:10:16 (permalink)
    Poor old Dirty's in Houston is nothing but a sign in a parking lot.

We don't know why the sign is still there, and we puzzle over it everytime we drive by.

The Pigstand makes a great chicken fried steak.

Your recipe sounds fine Katie - I can go with either cube steak or round steak. I usually add some garlice powder (just a little) to the flour. Make sure your oil is really hot before you start cooking.
    yumbo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 330
    RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2004/05/10 15:12:07 (permalink)
    The only CFS that I had in Seattle came to the table with BROWN gravy! Egh. I gave up my seach after that.

I'm still looking for decent CFS in Milwaukee, though. Anyone with recommendations?

-Yumbo
    Lone Star
    RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2004/05/10 15:14:46 (permalink)
    Oh, I should answer your question about Jax! We go there quite often for lunch - it is ride beside the sad parking lot shrine of the Dirty's sign on Sheperd. Jax's is a sports bar like atmosphere, and if you go in at noon on any weekday, the line of people will take you aback, but don't worry, they move you through with incredible speed.

They have quite and extensive daily special menu, as well as the regular menu. I have never had the CFS there, as I always get the "Bellaire Basket", which is fried chicken, fries, texas toast and gravy. I have heard it is very good though.

A very lively place to have lunch and looks like it would be a great place to enjoy a ball game. There is a full service bar smack in the middle of the place.

Don't miss it if you have a chance to go.

EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4138
    RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2004/05/11 17:39:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by colt45

Also does anyone know of a place that makes "REAL" CFS in AZ around Phoenix, Prescott or Flagstaff?

Thanks

Colt45

The TexAz Grill in Phoenix makes about the best CFS I've ever had.

www.texazgrill.com

6003 N. 16th Street---Phoenix

It is huge and delicious with homemade potatoes. It's a dark, loud but friendly place. Highly recommended! They also do chicken fried chicken----but give me the steak anytime!
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2004/05/11 18:06:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by EdSails

The TexAz Grill in Phoenix makes about the best CFS I've ever had.

That place looks EXCELLENT, Ed!

BTW, we need to hear about your trip through "south America" (I-10). Start a new thread!
    dbear
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 131
    RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2004/05/11 18:11:24 (permalink)
    I make 'em up here in Boston with a 'best guess' recipe for the coating and using thin sliced rib eye steak. Usually I fry them in bacon or sausage drippings. I have to agree, though, that the best I've ever had were all in Texas. If I hadn't lived there, I probably wouldn't know a CFS from a BLT. Threadgill's and Hill's...to be there now...sigh.
    db
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15333
    RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2004/05/11 18:22:40 (permalink)
    OK, One of you 'experts' please help me be sure that I am using the appropriate term here. IS ther a difference between COUNTRY FRIED STEAK and CHICKEN FRIED STEAK ?? The way I have run across these two items the term is interchangeable, being used to describe ONE Entree !
    My best experience(s) with CFS was at a Truck Stop in Corning CA (I-5 above Sacramento) The had -for years- AYCE CFS. The coating was pretty strongly peppered, but it was always freshly cooked, Very Hot and Crispy, The potatoes 'genuine' and the gravy just the right density and temperature. I like my gravy in a cup or bowl to apply as I wish during the meal. I tend to dip the meat, to maintain the crispness as long as possible. We stopped there on this past winters road trip, but the menu has changed big time
    colt45
    Junior Burger
    RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2004/05/11 18:39:21 (permalink)
    Many thanks to Edsails about Texaz Grill. I'm in Sedona and can't wait to try.

Colt45
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2004/05/11 18:41:55 (permalink)
    Mr. Mayor, the terms are interchangeable as far as I'm concerned.

And, to tell the truth, I've only ordered CFS in the West a few times. Each time, it's been served with brown gravy, as yumbo experienced, so I stopped ordering it long ago.
    Lucky Bishop
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2004/05/11 18:43:00 (permalink)
    Al: Nope, both terms are interchangeable. Apparently, some restaurants call it "Country-fried steak" because they're worried people will think it's chicken or something, I dunno.

Hint from a Texan living in New England: most Shaws or Stop and Shop supermarkets sell thin-sliced top round steak for that Italian roulade dish that I can never remember the name of. Anyway, those, sliced and gently pounded, are what I use for CFS, with a healthy dose of Penzey's Ozark Seasoning in the flour and for pure Texas authenticity, a package of Pioneer Country Gravy (I have my sister-in-law mail it up to me) fixed up to go on top of it and the mashed potatoes.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15333
    RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2004/05/11 20:07:41 (permalink)
    Could we use the beef that is cut and packaged as "Carne Asada" for our illegal workers for CFS?? It would need the pounding that seems to bring joy to various ex-cons working in Texas Kitchens and appears to be the right thickness and size of the individual slice.

How about Sausage gravy? Close enough to do the job?
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4651
    RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2004/05/11 20:13:48 (permalink)
    My mother adds a pinch or two of baking powder to the flour to move things along. The big difference in all these seems to be: spices in flour or in gravy, or both....
    angelfood
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 204
    RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2004/05/12 07:46:31 (permalink)
    I use cubed steak, which is not ground beef by the way, have always called it Country Fried Steak, and make Milk Gravy from the drippings to go with it. I can't imagine using sausage gravy with it. Seems icky to me. Plus, before you add the sausage, it's milk gravy anyway.
    fcbaldwin
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 388
    RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2004/05/12 08:37:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Could we use the beef that is cut and packaged as "Carne Asada" for our illegal workers for CFS?? It would need the pounding that seems to bring joy to various ex-cons working in Texas Kitchens and appears to be the right thickness and size of the individual slice.

I would think that sausage gravy might overpower the CFS. But the seasonings are important for the white gravy as well as the flour on the meat. I don't know what they should be, though. It seems that most that I've had are just real "peppery" tasting. We stopped for lunch at a little place on the way to Roanoke recently, on Rt. 460 in Montvale, Va., called " Mama's Kitchen." Ordered the CFS and it was excellent. The waitress winked at me when I ordered the mashed potatoes and suggested the baked potato with butter and sour cream. That combo was great: CFS nicely deep fried for a crispy texture, a peppery white gravy on the meat, and baked potato and green beans. Also a small green salad and homemade cornbread was served ahead of the main dish. As I recall, all this was 4.95 for lunch. We would definitely stop there again.

Frank
    Lone Star
    RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2004/05/12 10:08:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Carne Asada is usually made using flank steak, which I don't think would do well fried.

Mr. Mayor, many "legal" people enjoy carne asada, either prepared on the grill, or for tacos.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7370
    RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2004/05/12 17:50:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

Hint from a Texan living in New England: most Shaws or Stop and Shop supermarkets sell thin-sliced top round steak for that Italian roulade dish that I can never remember the name of.

Would that be bracciole?
    Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 8
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1