Lobster Rolls

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 107
acornlover
  • Total Posts : 394
  • Reward points : 0
Lobster Rolls - Thu, 05/13/04 7:39 PM
Hello!
This may an old subject, but I am on a quest for the perfect "Lobster Roll" I live in New England and and have been trying these rolls at every "Roadfood" place I try. Here are some of my experiences:

Denmos- awful, rubbery,cold lobster the only good thing was the roll

Glenwood, Hamden Ct- I have not tried this yet, my daughter goes to school in Hamden, should I try this on my next trip?

Haraseeket Lobster, Freeport, ME- beautiful setting, ok roll

Chauncey Creek Lobster, Kittery, ME- pretty good, served on hamburg type roll, location was so nice

Sea Basket-Wiscasset, ME Really good lobster, different homemade roll, ICEBERG lettuce roll, fresh and tasty(I have not tried Red's yet because the lines are TOO LONG, this summer I'll call ahead)

Sarah's-Wiscasset, ME Ok, homemade roll was nice, the specialty here are AMAZING soups and homemade breads

Cooleen's Clam bar rt 130 Wiscasett, ME-a new place owned by former New Yorkers, good lobster, but "fancy" lettuce I took off and asked for melted butter, nice people , I will go back

Shaw's New Harbor ME: pretty good, I prefer the shore dinner here

Now last night we went to (although not roadfood)"Summer Shack" in Cambridge, and the lobster roll had cucumber, scallions and "Fancy" lettuce, YUK, I was very dissapointed, the roll was toasted and not grilled, but, the oysters were EXCELLENT and service great.

Kelly's- Natck, MA Ok ,I'd rAther have roast beef and FRENCH FRIES!

An Aside- the '99' makes a passable lobster roll

On with my quest!
Kathy

seafarer john
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Lobster Rolls - Fri, 05/14/04 10:11 AM
Kathy: Are you asking about both types of lobster roll? The cold salad and the warm lobster and butter, or are you only looking for the warm type?

As for me I love them both. It seems to me that as one travels further 'down east" the cold salad type becomes more frequent and by the time we are in Nova Scotia the warm buttered lobster roll has almost entirely disappeared.

We consider Abbot's in Noank, CT the standard against which all warm buttery lobster rolls should be measured. They may not be the greatest, but we've never found any better !

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17850
RE: Lobster Rolls - Fri, 05/14/04 10:52 AM
Johnny Ad's in Old Saybrook, Lenny and Joe's in Westbrook and Madison, Flanders Fish Market in East Lyme, and Chick's and Jimmies in West Haven all have absolutely wonderful lobster rolls -- the Connecticut variety, with hot buttered lobster, not some salad.

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6256
RE: Lobster Rolls - Fri, 05/14/04 7:44 PM
Yankee Lobster Fish Market on Northern Ave. in Boston makes a KILLER lobster roll....the salad style, but VERY little mayo and lots of lobster. Fabulous crab rolls and clam rolls and fish 'n chips. The clam chowdah and lobster bisque are awesome too!

seafarer john
RE: Lobster Rolls - Fri, 05/14/04 9:21 PM
I'm headed for Yankee lobster fish Market as soon as possible...

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15073
RE: Lobster Rolls - Fri, 05/14/04 10:24 PM
I'd hold out for the Abbott's style Hot Buttered Lobster Roll. Unique and as messy as a cheesesteak..but a Great handfull of flavor !!

Jennie
  • Total Posts : 389
RE: Lobster Rolls - Fri, 05/21/04 1:35 PM
My mother spent her grad school internship in Maine, and on a recent visit, tried to find a good lobster roll to relive her 1960s experience.

The restaurant in Camden, ME (she doesn't recall the name) had a very disappointing lobster roll. She says it just consisted of chopped up lobster, and they were offered either mayo or butter to put on it.

However, in Boston, just before they got back on the plane, they went to Legal Seafood and she had a much better lobster roll. She said it was a wonderful salad, and huuuge. Almost like a whole lobster in the thing. But it was so big, you couldn't pick it up. It had to be eaten with a knife and fork, which she'd never had to do before.

She also noted that she's never heard of lobster rolls being served warm.

Jennie

seafarer john
RE: Lobster Rolls - Fri, 05/21/04 5:23 PM
That confirms my observation that the more "down east" one travels the more cold lobster salad is served as the lobster roll. While, i'll defer to to people on these forums more familiar with Maine than I, I think you'll probably find more lobster salad than warm buttered lobster any place past the Portland area.

boulderben
  • Total Posts : 23
RE: Lobster Rolls - Wed, 05/26/04 7:25 PM
I worked in a small restaurant/gallery just north of Bar Harbor, ME, and ate a lot of lobster rolls up and down the coast, all of which were cold. Just fresh-picked lobster mixed with mayo on a lightly toasted, buttered roll is the way to go.

boulderben
  • Total Posts : 23
RE: Lobster Rolls - Wed, 05/26/04 7:51 PM
By the way, when travelling down east Maine, a roadside stand not to miss is "Jordan's", just ouitside of Ellsworth on the way to Acadia's Schoodic Penninsula. The fried whole belly clams are their specialty, but everything is good; always a line.

Michael Hoffman
RE: Lobster Rolls - Wed, 05/26/04 8:31 PM
quote:
Originally posted by boulderben

I worked in a small restaurant/gallery just north of Bar Harbor, ME, and ate a lot of lobster rolls up and down the coast, all of which were cold. Just fresh-picked lobster mixed with mayo on a lightly toasted, buttered roll is the way to go.

Hey, no one would suggest that there's anything wrong with lobster salad. Just call it what it is. Don't try to tell people it's a lobster roll.

BBQ Barney
  • Total Posts : 161
RE: Lobster Rolls - Wed, 05/26/04 9:08 PM
Help a midwesterner-- we've had great "lobster rolls" at The Clam Shack" in Kennebunkport, several spots around Acadia, Harraseeket in S. Freeport and others----each was lobster, bun and a little or no mayo. While butter was available in some venues, we always thoughtwe were eating lobster rolls, not lobster salad. Is this a CN thing (where we need to visit and learn)?

Michael Hoffman
RE: Lobster Rolls - Wed, 05/26/04 9:25 PM
quote:
Originally posted by BBQ Barney

Help a midwesterner-- we've had great "lobster rolls" at The Clam Shack" in Kennebunkport, several spots around Acadia, Harraseeket in S. Freeport and others----each was lobster, bun and a little or no mayo. While butter was available in some venues, we always thoughtwe were eating lobster rolls, not lobster salad. Is this a CN thing (where we need to visit and learn)?

Throughout most of New England a lobster roll is a bun with cold lobster, usually mixed with mayonnaise and sometimes celery and other salad stuff. Back in the late 1930s, at a place called Perry's on the Boston Post Road (U.S. 1) in Milford, Connecticut, the hot lobster roll was born. It consisted of lobster meat heated in butter and placed in a buttered and grilled frankfurter bun. Real lobster roll eaters know that this is the true lobster roll, and that, while cold lobster with mayonnaise can be a very nice salad, it is not a lobster roll.

seafarer john
RE: Lobster Rolls - Wed, 05/26/04 10:16 PM
Having read Michael Hoffman's mesages for along time now I bow to his wide knowledge of things edible and his generosity in sharing that lore with us. But, thems both Lobster Rolls - one's cold and one's warm,and theyr'e both damn good - 'though I prefer the warm one.

Maybe we ought to call the cold one a "Lobster Salad Roll" and reserve the title, "Lobster Roll" for the warm one ?

tiki
  • Total Posts : 4135
RE: Lobster Rolls - Thu, 05/27/04 12:10 AM
growing up in Massachsetts the grandson of an italian fishermen, we ate "lobster rolls" ---cold,with mayo and a bit of celery all my life. If the fisherman called a lobster roll---its a lobster roll! The hot ones with butter were still lobter rolls. When the cold one was served on anything other then a toasted top split roll--it stopped being a lobster roll and became lobster salad. They were ALL good!

dbear
  • Total Posts : 131
RE: Lobster Rolls - Thu, 05/27/04 12:44 AM
I'd rather eat either kind of lobster roll than almost any food other than central texas bbq. I've had both hot and cold from all over the coast of N.E. for most of my life, and have no preference, but I had no idea there was a terminology issue. Eat and enjoy whichever kind is available wherever you are! Remember, the rest of the country doesn't have this issue; lucky us.
db

Lucky Bishop
  • Total Posts : 1049
RE: Lobster Rolls - Thu, 05/27/04 1:14 AM
People are forgetting the key issue here. The main word isn't "lobster," it's "roll." When it's served on a split and toasted J.J. Nissen hot dog bun, THEN it's a lobster roll. It doesn't matter how the lobster is prepared -- I won't turn down either preparation -- but the further the roll is from being a standard supermarket hot dog bun, the less you can call it a lobster roll.

jevmass
  • Total Posts : 34
RE: Lobster Rolls - Thu, 05/27/04 4:39 AM
Try the Raw Bar in Mashpee, MA. Just lobster and mayo - bring your appetite. Open April to November...

seafarer john
RE: Lobster Rolls - Thu, 05/27/04 9:51 AM
Amen on the need for a JJNissen or close clone type roll. We've had some strange rolls served to us in the Maritimes - some pretty good, some awful, but none as good as the JJs for this particular use.

tiki
RE: Lobster Rolls - Thu, 05/27/04 10:21 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

People are forgetting the key issue here. The main word isn't "lobster," it's "roll." When it's served on a split and toasted J.J. Nissen hot big bun, THEN it's a lobster roll. It doesn't matter how the lobster is prepared -- I won't turn down either preparation -- but the further the roll is from being a standard supermarket hot dog bun, the less you can call it a lobster roll.

absolutly!!! ---fact is ANYTHING served on a toasted Nissen bun is better! Without that roll there is no lobster roll no matter how you dress it! and a clam roll is a small side of clams! Even the most pedestrian super market hot dog boiled to warm is transformed when surrounded with a Nissen bun,buttered and grilled! I admit--i'd pay a pretty penny for them if could get them here in Oklahoma!But aslas--

Michael Hoffman
RE: Lobster Rolls - Thu, 05/27/04 10:27 AM
quote:
Originally posted by seafarer john

Having read Michael Hoffman's mesages for along time now I bow to his wide knowledge of things edible and his generosity in sharing that lore with us. But, thems both Lobster Rolls - one's cold and one's warm,and theyr'e both damn good - 'though I prefer the warm one.

Maybe we ought to call the cold one a "Lobster Salad Roll" and reserve the title, "Lobster Roll" for the warm one ?

Excellent idea!

All this talk about lobster rolls has cost me some money. I could not stand it any longer. I went out this morning and bought two lobsters, both of which are now in my refrigerator awaiting a warming steam bath preparatory to being picked for my lobster roll dinner tonight.

lleechef
RE: Lobster Rolls - Thu, 05/27/04 10:49 AM
Mr. Hoffman,
Do you want company for dinner???? I could be tempted..........

Michael Hoffman
RE: Lobster Rolls - Thu, 05/27/04 10:52 AM
Fly on down. I'll go get a couple more lobsters and another package of split-top buns.

Michael Hoffman
RE: Lobster Rolls - Fri, 05/28/04 9:19 AM
Update time. I did go out and get another lobster, but no one showed up for dinner last night. So, I used one lobster to make myself four lobster rolls, hot and drenched in butter, and stuffed into top-sliced hotdog buns. But, as I then had two more bugs left, I steamed the second one and picked the meat. The I cleaned the third, stuffed it with the lobster meat from the second, mixed with tomalley, coral and breadcrumbs, and baked it. My, my, my! Oh so good.

seafarer john
RE: Lobster Rolls - Fri, 05/28/04 9:44 AM
Michael: I was shocked when my new bride sat down and ate two lobsters for dinner way back in 1959. But, four lobster rolls, and two more lobsters is really the measure of a trencherman! Your'e right up there with Diamond Jim Brady who was said to have started ameal with 12 dozen oysters. Congratulations on your fine meal !

cheers, John

Michael Hoffman
RE: Lobster Rolls - Fri, 05/28/04 10:21 AM
quote:

Michael: I was shocked when my new bride sat down and ate two lobsters for dinner way back in 1959. But, four lobster rolls, and two more lobsters is really the measure of a trencherman! Your'e right up there with Diamond Jim Brady who was said to have started ameal with 12 dozen oysters. Congratulations on your fine meal !

cheers, John

Thank you. I'm not hungry so far today.

Funny you should mention your new bride and two lobsters. The first time my soon-to-be wife met my mother and father it was over a shore dinner at a restaurant called Ap's in West Haven, Connecticut. They were slightly surprised when she polished off steamers, chowder, Broiled, stuffed twin lobsters and french fries.

DaveM
  • Total Posts : 353
RE: Lobster Rolls - Fri, 05/28/04 12:53 PM
from the Maine Diner menu:
FRESH MAINE LOBSTER ROLL $ 13.95
THE DALE ARNOLD $ 13.95
...This is our famous Hot Lobster Roll. Fresh lobster meat is heated and served in a grilled roll with a side of drawn butter. Dale, of WEEI Sports Radio in Boston, regularly orders this unique version of a Maine Lobster Roll.
LOBSTER SALAD $ 14.95
...A Jumbo Salad with a generous 5 oz. portion of fresh picked lobster meat. Specify with or without mayonnaise.
and today's special:
Friday: Lobster Stew with Biscuit $ 11.95
Truth be told, if your restaurant is popular, they will serve you lobster any way you like it.

lleechef
RE: Lobster Rolls - Fri, 05/28/04 1:10 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Update time. I did go out and get another lobster, but no one showed up for dinner last night. So, I used one lobster to make myself four lobster rolls, hot and drenched in butter, and stuffed into top-sliced hotdog buns. But, as I then had two more bugs left, I steamed the second one and picked the meat. The I cleaned the third, stuffed it with the lobster meat from the second, mixed with tomalley, coral and breadcrumbs, and baked it. My, my, my! Oh so good.

Oh you are cruel for posting that!! I'm drooling cuz I haven't had lobster since I left Yankee Lobster and that was over a year ago!

Michael Hoffman
RE: Lobster Rolls - Fri, 05/28/04 2:23 PM
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

quote:

Oh you are cruel for posting that!! I'm drooling cuz I haven't had lobster since I left Yankee Lobster and that was over a year ago!

You can't get Homarus americanus there? Heck, if I'd known that I'd have picked up a couple more to eat for you.

lleechef
RE: Lobster Rolls - Fri, 05/28/04 3:08 PM
We can occasionaly get the noble Homarus americanus here, but only in one specialty Japanese store. After working for a lobster company and taking lobster meat home to throw on top of a salad, or providing me and my friends with a meal of bugs, got me spoiled. Spending 40 bucks for two chicken lobsters here just irks me!! So yes, please pick up a couple more and enjoy them for me! GGGGGRRRRRR!

seafarer john
RE: Lobster Rolls - Fri, 05/28/04 7:01 PM
Sorry Chef Lee, but Al The Mayor , the perpertrator of the Vadalia caper, says he cant send you a lobster because WalMart doesn't sell them.

Michael Hoffman
RE: Lobster Rolls - Fri, 05/28/04 9:11 PM
Boy, I haven't heard the term chicken lobster in more years than I want to contemplate.

Listen, when you can't get lobster, try using king crab for lobster rolls. It's not really the same, but enough butter will ease the pain.

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15073
RE: Lobster Rolls - Fri, 05/28/04 9:48 PM
MY God, Seafarer, You've been out to Sea for so long you have lost the vision of SAM.... Of course our Indiana WalMart Supercenter has Live Lobster. and pickled herring, and pork rinds...
Lisa don't get your Hopes up..The shipping will be higher than the onions to UK were !!

Lisa, What about the big and I mean Big King Crab? After my vacation in Sunny Vietnam, I spent the rest of that tour at an Army post on Hokkaido, The Northern Island of Japan. At the time we could purchase large...and I mean very large 'arms (legs) of King Crab for a few dollars (1962 money) The leg would be the diameter of my chubby forearm and two or three would be the most I could eat at one time We often saw crab bodies in excess of 3 ft diameter taken off the boats when they landed. Now that was good crab. Don't they land crab at the ports near you?

Cakes
  • Total Posts : 562
RE: Lobster Rolls - Fri, 05/28/04 9:54 PM

Throughout most of New England a lobster roll is a bun with cold lobster, usually mixed with mayonnaise and sometimes celery and other salad stuff. Back in the late 1930s, at a place called Perry's on the Boston Post Road (U.S. 1) in Milford, Connecticut, the hot lobster roll was born. It consisted of lobster meat heated in butter and placed in a buttered and grilled frankfurter bun. Real lobster roll eaters know that this is the true lobster roll, and that, while cold lobster with mayonnaise can be a very nice salad, it is not a lobster roll.

Methinks you are speaking out of both sides of your mouth here Michael. First you tell us that most of NE makes them with mayo and then because some place in Connecticut, well into the last century, makes it with butter that that is now the standard?
Do they call it Connecticut Lobster? I don't think so. It's Maine Lobster This means that whatever someone does in Connecticut is a derivation of the real thing.

I have had true Maine lobster rolls. I have never had a Connecticut hot lobster with butter roll. I would love to.

I want one of each NOW!

Cakes

lleechef
RE: Lobster Rolls - Sat, 05/29/04 12:04 AM
Al,

I can get all the king crab I can eat because it comes out of the Bering Sea. It's pricey too, for the Big Guy's birthday last year he wanted crab so I got 6 legs and the price was $100. A couple years ago I bought them alive and cooked them like lobster.....alive in a big pot of salted water. Best crab I ever had.
But you know us Yankees get a hankerin for lobster as summer rolls around, with steamers, mussels, red potatoes, corn and butter......or lobster on a salad, or a lobster roll! FedEx overnight for two 2 pound lobsters is around $120. Cuz I'm sure not eating no itty bitty little chicken lobster!!!! The biggest one I ever sold in the store weighed 17 pounds!

Michael Hoffman
RE: Lobster Rolls - Sat, 05/29/04 9:32 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Cakes

Methinks you are speaking out of both sides of your mouth here Michael. First you tell us that most of NE makes them with mayo and then because some place in Connecticut, well into the last century, makes it with butter that that is now the standard?

Do they call it Connecticut Lobster? I don't think so. It's Maine Lobster This means that whatever someone does in Connecticut is a derivation of the real thing.

I have had true Maine lobster rolls. I have never had a Connecticut hot lobster with butter roll. I would love to.

I want one of each NOW!

Cakes

Both sides of my mouth? I can't speak out of both sides of my mouth, because both sides are stuffed with lobster rolls. The fact is, though, while most of New England makes lobster salad to stuff inside hot dog buns, the only true lobster roll is a hot one with butter as first prepared at Perry's in Milford, Connecticut. I am shocked, shocked, that you wouold believe otherwise.

seafarer john
RE: Lobster Rolls - Sat, 05/29/04 9:52 AM
And not far from Perry's was Whitey's (now called "The Place") where they grilled clams over huge open oak log fires and the area had a funky odor because the clam shells were disdarded on the ground around the tables ( to keep the picnic are from sinking into the swamp) and everyone walked on the shells with their bits of rotting clam meat. We loved that venue!

TJ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 4486
RE: Lobster Rolls - Sat, 05/29/04 10:26 PM
I think in a world that has so many definitions of what bbq is, what pizza (or apizza) is, what a sandwich built of lunchmeats on a long roll is called, etc etc etc.....there is room for at least two equally valid definitions of what a lobster roll is.

Course, I want the one with not a hint of mayonaise....

Michael Hoffman
RE: Lobster Rolls - Mon, 05/31/04 4:15 PM
quote:

And not far from Perry's was Whitey's (now called "The Place") where they grilled clams over huge open oak log fires and the area had a funky odor because the clam shells were disdarded on the ground around the tables ( to keep the picnic are from sinking into the swamp) and everyone walked on the shells with their bits of rotting clam meat. We loved that venue!

Whitey's was/is clear on the other side of New Haven and the Quinnipiac River in Guilford. Perry's was almost to Devon and the Housatonic River. In fact, Perry's was across the street from the Milford Tucker dealer.

seafarer john
RE: Lobster Rolls - Mon, 05/31/04 5:19 PM
Tuckers were actually sold in Connecticut? How quaint!

Michael Hoffman
RE: Lobster Rolls - Mon, 05/31/04 6:16 PM
I remember the Tucker dealership being right across the street from Perry's, on a corner of a road that ran from the Boston Post Road to Wildemere Beach. I don't believe it ever had more than one model in the small showroom.

Roadfoodwarrior
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Lobster Rolls - Sat, 06/5/04 9:40 AM
Glenwood lobster roll is hit or miss. During Peak times they are always good. A couple times I went off peak and some kid sifted through the butter and gave me a lobeter roll that looked like it was canned tuna it was so ground up.....Only bad experience i ever had with the glenwood

tiki
RE: Lobster Rolls - Sat, 06/5/04 2:20 PM
quote:

I remember the Tucker dealership being right across the street from Perry's, on a corner of a road that ran from the Boston Post Road to Wildemere Beach. I don't believe it ever had more than one model in the small showroom.

They couldnt have sold many---i know a guy in Chico Ca that still has one and his,along EVERY one still around,was "borrowed" for the movie.They may have in fact only ever had
one at a time,as he never really did get enough backing to go into full production.

Michael Hoffman
RE: Lobster Rolls - Sat, 06/5/04 4:11 PM
I don't know if they sold any. I was just a little kid at the time.

tiki
RE: Lobster Rolls - Sun, 06/6/04 2:33 AM
yep,me too---well i was a YOUNG kid anyway---dont remember ever being "little"!

seafarer john
RE: Lobster Rolls - Tue, 06/8/04 1:03 PM
We are going to be at Mystic Seaport tomorrow doing some research in the library. Sometime in the late afternoon we will go to Abbott's in Noank for warm buttery lobster rolls and a BYOB cold bottle of wine.
If anyone's in the area we'd be happy to meet with you there...

lisajocole
  • Total Posts : 72
RE: Lobster Rolls - Tue, 06/8/04 1:54 PM
Seafarer J -

That sounds fabulous!!! How 'bout bringing me one of those lobster rolls back when you come down to sunny St. Pete? Although, it might not stay too fresh in your backseat for the next few months! LOL

seafarer john
RE: Lobster Rolls - Tue, 06/8/04 5:18 PM
lisa: Maybe I'll just eat an extra lobster roll and "virtually" bring it to St Pete in January

lisajocole
  • Total Posts : 72
RE: Lobster Rolls - Wed, 06/9/04 9:48 AM
SF -

Great idea!! Would love to meet you and the missus when you winter down here. Maybe we could have a get-together with Kristi and some of the other Tampa Bay area road-foodies for a grouper gathering or cuban (sandwich) klatch?

Enjoy your lobster today - we'll all be there with you in spirit!

Lisa

LaurieGee52
  • Total Posts : 35
RE: Lobster Rolls - Fri, 08/6/04 11:01 PM
Having spent many summers in Ogunquit, Maine...I recall vividly staying in a hotel/motel (on the left side of street...hilly...going towards Barnacle Billy's) in the early '80's.....there I feasted on my first Lobster Roll...since I really had nothing to compare it to...I'd say it was pretty tasty.....hey....if I'm writing about it 20+ years later...it couldn't have been all that bad.....now if I could remember the name of the place we stayed at....afraid "CRS" has set in....

LaurieGee52

fbrink
  • Total Posts : 15
RE: Lobster Rolls - Sat, 08/7/04 12:53 AM
I went to Glenwood last week, i'm almost never in connecticut, and had my very first lobster roll and it was outstanding. I highly recommend, and the hot dogs looked good too.

Tommy2dogs
  • Total Posts : 348
RE: Lobster Rolls - Sat, 08/7/04 10:46 AM
I was surprised no one has mentiond Red's Eats in Wiscasset Maine.
It was featured on "Sandwiches that you will like" and is also on Hollyeats.com. While I have never been there, it is the first place I would head for a Lobster roll.

Phishmonger
  • Total Posts : 217
RE: Lobster Rolls - Sat, 08/7/04 2:15 PM
I had a hot lobster roll at the Maine Diner last week. It was TERRIFIC. Highly recommend that venue (Route 1, Wells, Maine). I noticed someone mentioned the Sea Basket in Wiscasset. The best lobster stew on the coast! Also available - frozen base for lobster stew made right there - just bring it home and add cream, heat through, and enjoy! Also, for lunch at the Sea Basket, the haddock sandwich can't be beat. I'm in CT, but can't wait between trips to the ME coast.

pulse
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Lobster Rolls - Tue, 08/24/04 1:57 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy2dogs

I was surprised no one has mentiond Red's Eats in Wiscasset Maine.
It was featured on "Sandwiches that you will like" and is also on Hollyeats.com. While I have never been there, it is the first place I would head for a Lobster roll.

Red's is okay, if you want to do the tourist thing, wait in line 45 min for a somewhat pricey and mediocre lobster roll, and then sit on the curb breathing in the sulphuric acid fumes from the cars and semi-trucks lined up on Rte 1 as they crawl slowly through Wiscasset.

With so many choices in the area, the locals all skip Red's and head for better options. But why get a cold lobster roll when you can have a full lobster dinner (w/steamers and corn), warm and wonderful, for a couple bucks more? Give me a fresh lobster full dinner that I can slowly savor with my byob beer, while watching the lobster boats and fishermen on the harbor, and forget the fast food lobster rolls filled with all the mayo, lettuce, onions, etc. in hotdog buns.

I run a seasonal business on the Pemaquid Peninsula 20 min north of Red's, and here's where I send my customers:

For those who need to be indoors when they eat: Shaw's in New Harbor (outdoor tables on the harbor available too); The Anchor Inn in Round Pond (indoor seating w/harbor views). Liquor service available at both.

For those who love the Maine outdoors and enjoy all this beautiful outdoor atmosphere (i.e., eat your lobster dinner outside on the deck and enjoy the fresh salt air): Muscongus Bay Lobster Company at Round Pond; Pemaquid Fishermen's Co-op in Pemaquid Harbor (self-proclaimed oldest fishermen's co-op in America), also has fried seafood. For these places, bring your own booze as only soda pop and water are sold here.

All of these places have the freshest lobster available, fantastic harbor views of working lobster boats and fishermen, and the best fresh salt air that Maine can offer. The prices range from $14 and up for a full lobster dinner. Muscongus has local oysters that are superb. (I can actually get two lobster dinners for the price of a local large fancy pizza!) Twin and triple lobster dinners available too.

There are lots of lobster places along the coast - go to the working harbor areas for the best. Remember, being in a hurry in Maine means you are in the wrong place . . .

acornlover
  • Total Posts : 394
RE: Lobster Rolls - Sat, 08/28/04 10:27 PM
I seem to have started a feisty discussion here!

I agree with pulse

Shaw's and Anchor Inn are top rate but very different places, Anchor is more non road food than Shaw's, the Pemaquid Co-op and Muscongus are the best, I buy live lobster there to cook at home...yum...

I prefer the Sea Basket to Red's and no one ever mentions "Sarah's: across the street from Red's, amazing soup/fish chowder/Breads

pulse
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Lobster Rolls - Sat, 08/28/04 11:12 PM
The Sea Basket in Wiscasset is wonderful - great seafood at reasonable prices, and it's the absolutely cleanest place around. Sarah's in Wiscasset is good food, nice harbor view, heavy with tourists (across the street from Red's, so they get overflow for those who don't want to stand and eat).

As an aside, altho I've had excellent lobster at Pemaquid Fishermen's Co-op, I had one of the worst scallop dinners ever from them about 2 weeks ago. It was a carry-out dinner, but it convinced me that sticking with lobster from the Co-op is the way to go.

On the other hand, a new Chinese restaurant that opened this past May 2004 right across from Moody's Diner on Route 1 in Waldoboro had fabulous scallops on their buffet bar - who would have guessed?? The scallops were sweet, very lightly breaded, and were a real treat. I love scallops and mussels, maybe even more than lobster, so forgive me for expounding on them.

Okay - here's one for all you lobster lovers: the Maine Lobster Promotion Council is asking for votes on who offers the best Maine lobster roll in Maine. You can vote by going to their website at www.lobsterfrommaine.com, or sending a postcard to them at Maine Lobster Promotion Council, 382 Harlow St., Bangor, ME, 04401. If you vote, you will be entered in a drawing for the chance to win $50 in Maine lobster. Now there's a lobster fest for you!

steedoww3
  • Total Posts : 21
RE: Lobster Rolls - Sat, 09/18/04 11:13 AM
NO ONE... AND I MEAN NO ONE... messes with the HOT lobster roll from Lenny and Joes in Madison,CT.

I go there every friday in the summer with my dad, have for years too. Good thing I only live about 2 minutes from the place

Sarge 569
  • Total Posts : 60
RE: Lobster Rolls - Mon, 03/21/05 10:16 PM
I was a kid growing in the small town of Mechanic Falls Me. through the 1950s. Both of your lobster rolls, butter or mayo, sound ok but they are not what I remember. I could go to a small diner by the high school and get a lobster roll that was made with a warm cream sauce with lots of lobster served in a hamburger bun. All of the lobster rolls that I remember were served this way. There was another place that I think was a gas station just before you went down the hill into LEWISTON that also served them that way, along with a strawberry milk was real treat. Just to keep things in perspective a lobster roll would cost $0.35 a hamburger $0.10 and a hot dog $0.05 root beer $0.03

Oneiron339
  • Total Posts : 2075
RE: Lobster Rolls - Tue, 03/22/05 7:35 AM
Warren's Seafood in York, ME (been there forever) has a great lobster roll. It also has the best salad bar in NE. I usually get the salad bar and a L. Roll. They also have the usual lobster dishes, but it's too much to eat. Truly an old-time road food place.

tmiles
  • Total Posts : 1910
RE: Lobster Rolls - Tue, 03/22/05 7:58 AM
I know that we can get lobster all year, but summer is lobster season, and summer is coming. Maybe I'll be seeing some of you at Howards on Rt 9 this summer. I can't wait untill the seasonal places open. Ronnies in Auburn Mass opens, I think, this weekend. The days are getting warmer. Yeaaaaaah.

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 107