The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

The world's BEST soup ?

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 6 of 11, messages 151 to 180 of 320
Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
RE: The world's BEST soup ? Tue, 12/13/05 10:25 AM (permalink)
The BEST soup...hmmm....ugh. How hard is that to pick?

the only way to andwer would be for me to think, if I was to have pick the one soup I would want if there was only one soup left available to eat on the planet. And even then, it's a toss up.

I would have to say...with nervous twitching...that the one soup I would want would be the Oyster Stew at the Union Oyster House in Boston, MA.

boy, that was painful to pick. My favorite soup is lobster bisque, but for a BEST soup, I have to go with something unique and seperable. I've had many many good bisques from several restaurants. But this stew was unique and it's own. Like no other soup. So that's my pick. I'll stick to it...for today...at least for today.

pmrkr2

• Total Posts: 319
    • Roadfood Insider
    RE: The world's BEST soup ? Tue, 12/13/05 10:29 AM (permalink)
    the best of anything is a fool's errand but if you want to taste a really deicious soup and your in nyc get up to Saigon Grill on the upper west side and try the lhasa tom with shrimp. about $5 for the lunch special and a huge portion. good slurping

Root-Beer Man

• Total Posts: 331
      RE: The world's BEST soup ? Wed, 01/11/06 1:53 PM (permalink)
      Without a doubt the finest bowl of New England clam chowda I ever tasted was at, (hold your hats) the Lindy's Steak House in Hong Kong. I don't know what they did that was different but no-one has ever come close to that one for me.

Kerch

• Total Posts: 5
        RE: The world's BEST soup ? Sat, 02/11/06 5:45 AM (permalink)
        The Tomato Bisque at D&S Brasserie in Lancaster,PA
        is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1679 Lincoln Highway East
        Lancaster, PA 17602

Phone: 717-299-1694
        Fax: 299-4687

apremerson

• Total Posts: 63
          RE: The world's BEST soup ? Sun, 02/12/06 5:24 PM (permalink)
          The best soup in the world is whatever is home made and available when you most need a bowl of soup.

St. Louis Browns fan

• Total Posts: 129
            RE: The world's BEST soup ? Tue, 02/14/06 10:58 AM (permalink)
            I don't know if they're still in business, but Mary's was a Polish lunch counter on California Ave. in Chicago's heavily Puerto Rican Humboldt Park neighborhood. Every one of their made from scratch soups and pierogies were exceptional.

Beer&Snausages

• Total Posts: 418
              RE: The world's BEST soup ? Tue, 02/14/06 11:40 AM (permalink)
              If you're ever in Milford, CT, make sure to stop by Bobette's (they are right off of I-95 exit 36 at 93 Old Post Road) for their Famous Mussel Chowder, thick & hearty, perfect for a snowy day.

It is a small, little roadside dive of a place with nowhere to sit and if the lines at lunch are any indication 'tis also very well liked. It was highly recommended to me when I worked in the area and I ate there for lunch every day for two weeks. They also have some great sandwiches besides a choice of a number of soups each day beyond the house specialty.

But check the hours or call ahead because they close at 3PM in the afternoon.

http://www.bobettes.com

dogmeat

RE: The world's BEST soup ? Wed, 02/15/06 9:50 AM (permalink)
                My friend (French trained Chef) makes a blood orange/carrot soup with JUMBO lump crab meat that is the stuff that legends are made of!!

Poopy

• Total Posts: 101
                  RE: The world's BEST soup ? Thu, 02/16/06 4:55 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by hotdogger

Campbell's Chicken & Dumpling

I have eaten my share of Campbell's soup in my time, but I am not sure I would any of their varieties the best soup in the world.

shortchef

• Total Posts: 624
                    RE: The world's BEST soup ? Fri, 02/17/06 2:03 PM (permalink)
                    Dogmeat, I'm an ex-chef. Don't do anything with it, but still love to cook for family and good friends. That soup sounds like something my husband and I would love. Think your friend would share the recipe? If not the proportions, maybe the ingredients? If not, no problem. Thanks

Kenny da Fat Man

• Total Posts: 98
                      RE: The world's BEST soup ? Fri, 02/24/06 2:34 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by clemspal

it could be the cream of artichoke soup , served at duarte's , in pescadero , ca . ; then again , it could be the mustard soup , made at The Grotehaus Cafe, in emmen , the netherlands ; of course there is always the posole at matilda's in espanola , nm . but WAIT , what about the onion soup at the martin hotel in winnemuca ??? i guess i might as well mention my mother's crab stew ...

About 25 years ago, I ended up in Seattle. I was wandering around and came upon the wonderous Pike Place Market. This was all new and exciting to me, a Pittsburgh teenager on his own in the Jet City....It was a cold rainy day and I happened upon a stand that was selling something called Cioppino What the heck is it, I thought, so I ordered some. The guy handed me a small bowl made from sourdough bread filled with the hedy concoction. Oh, manhattan syle clam choweder...ok...cool....Then I tasted it...WHAM! It was manna from the gods! THIS WAS CIOPPINO! I've been hooked ever since.

drsmoke02

• Total Posts: 250
                        RE: The world's BEST soup ? Mon, 02/27/06 2:30 PM (permalink)
                        I make a steak and cheese french onion soup using filet mignon,my restaurant only carries it 4 times a yr.It's a killer.

Greyghost

• Total Posts: 1336
                          RE: The world's BEST soup ? Mon, 02/27/06 6:57 PM (permalink)
                          Drsmoke02,

That sounds like a very interesting soup. Care to share any details?

drsmoke02

• Total Posts: 250
                            RE: The world's BEST soup ? Tue, 02/28/06 5:23 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by Greyghost

Drsmoke02,

That sounds like a very interesting soup. Care to share any details?

I make a basic french onion soup, it must have an intense beef/onion flavor,i use creme sherry in the broth,some poupon mustard, and even parmesean cheese.I smoke a fillet mignon to medium,cool it off slice it thin,ladle some soup then a layer of swiss cheese,homemade croutons,then the fillet,cover with provalone, under broiler to melt cheese. it's the most popular soup we feature,it's also expensive to make.

topaz

• Total Posts: 4
                              RE: The world's BEST soup ? Wed, 03/15/06 2:52 PM (permalink)
                              If, for some forlorn reason or other, I had to restrict my diet to just one type of food, I think I'd pick soup. I can't think of another category of food that has more variety.

Red Green

• Total Posts: 26
                                RE: The world's BEST soup ? Sun, 03/19/06 8:54 PM (permalink)
                                Pea Soup Anderson's, at Santa Nilla, is quite good.

lar11

• Total Posts: 2
                                  RE: The world's BEST soup ? Sun, 07/2/06 7:54 PM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by MandalayVA

I will always bump for soup!

Best restaurant soup I've had is the she-crab soup at Isle of Capri in Virginia Beach. It's usually only offered as a special, but even if it's not nepotism (my FIL knows the owner) rules the day and I can order it. Seeing as I normally loathe seafood, that should tell you how good it is!

I've been trying my hand at making homemade soups lately--I found a killer tomato soup recipe that tastes remarkably like Campbell's. I throw in some little meatballs, make a salad, and there's dinner.

lar11

• Total Posts: 2
                                    RE: The world's BEST soup ? Sun, 07/2/06 7:58 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by MandalayVA

I will always bump for soup!

Best restaurant soup I've had is the she-crab soup at Isle of Capri in Virginia Beach. It's usually only offered as a special, but even if it's not nepotism (my FIL knows the owner) rules the day and I can order it. Seeing as I normally loathe seafood, that should tell you how good it is!

I've been trying my hand at making homemade soups lately--I found a killer tomato soup recipe that tastes remarkably like Campbell's. I throw in some little meatballs, make a salad, and there's dinner.
                                    I have been looking for a look a like to Campbell's tomato and
                                    campbell's tomato rice soup. Could you please send me your recipe for
                                    the tomato soup you describe above. I am living in Puerto Vallarta Mexico and it is hard to get the tomato soup here. They have a cream of tomato but it is very different than the condensed tomato in the US. Thank's for you help

bcory

• Total Posts: 57
                                      RE: The world's BEST soup ? Sun, 07/2/06 8:53 PM (permalink)
                                      For canned soup me fav is Campbell's Cream of Celery

jinjo76

• Total Posts: 204
                                        RE: The world's BEST soup ? Sun, 07/2/06 8:58 PM (permalink)
                                        It depends on the weather, but right now it's very hot and steamy out.

http://www.newtimesbpb.com/bestof/results.php?boSearch=1&keywords=Pho+Nam+Do

Jonathan

MaggieTheCat

• Total Posts: 3
                                          RE: The world's BEST soup ? Wed, 07/5/06 1:54 AM (permalink)
                                          The Crab Stew at Uncle Bubba's outside Savannah, GA.

The Poblano Corn Chowder at El Azteca, Atlanta, GA

The Tortilla Soup, El Fenix, Dallas/Ft Worth

Gumbo, Boudreaux's, West Monroe, LA

emilylgervais

• Total Posts: 3
                                            RE: The world's BEST soup ? Sun, 07/9/06 9:56 AM (permalink)
                                            Matzo Ball Soup at The Buffalo in Buffalo Grove, IL

WVHillbilly

• Total Posts: 406
                                              RE: The world's BEST soup ? Sun, 07/9/06 10:55 AM (permalink)
                                              My crab bisque.

ttrixiemach5

• Total Posts: 11
                                                RE: The world's BEST soup ? Tue, 07/11/06 9:34 AM (permalink)
                                                There is a bar in Havertown, Pennsylvania that serves REALLY great soup. It's called Peabody's Pub, on Darby Road, closer to the Eagle and Darby Road intersection. The bartender is a trip, but I will say he has calmed down a bit. It used to be, if you weren't a local, he'd let you sit for a good ten minutes before even greeting you. Then finally he would condescend to take your order, even if the bar was empty. The woman who works there is ten times worse, a real tough ass cookie. If you dare ask her what soups they have today, she'll point to the board written so small no human can read it from the tables. And I like to piss her off now so I like to ask if the kitchen is open every time I walk in no matter what time it is. (It doesn't matter what your question is, she's miserable and why she is in a people oriented business I have no idea because she obviously hates all humans) Anyway - go through all this crap because for some INSANE reason, whatever soups they will have on any day are excellent. From She-crab to Italian Wedding to Minestrone to Chicken Noodle - this stuff doesn't come from a can. Funny the rest of the menu is typical bar food, fried stuff, burgers, cheese steaks and the like all priced very affordably. Go on, be brave, get some darn good soup!!!!!

ttrixiemach5

• Total Posts: 11
                                                  RE: The world's BEST soup ? Tue, 07/11/06 9:40 AM (permalink)
                                                  I forgot to mention that my mother makes the best chicken soup in the world!! When I am sick, even now in my thirties and living away from home (ok only 10 minutes away) my mom makes it for me - real homemade chicken soup and she puts lemon in it and escarole and depending on what I want matzah balls or dumplings - both to die for. I make a few killer dishes myself - but nothing tastes like mom's soup!!! Mmm, I want some now!!

shortchef

• Total Posts: 624
                                                    RE: The world's BEST soup ? Fri, 07/14/06 10:00 PM (permalink)
                                                    We just returned from Montreal. When we ate at Garcon! on Sherbrooke St., we had a lobster bisque for an "amuse-bouche", a little portion of flavorful food served between courses. It tasted like pure essence of lobster. I could not get the recipe but will remember the soup forever. No meat, just essence. But very satisfying. And it should have been, for what we paid for dinner. (But then, Montreal is very expensive.) Doesn't matter, I went to eat

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
                                                      • Location: New York City, NY
                                                      RE: The world's BEST soup ? Sat, 07/15/06 1:51 AM (permalink)
                                                      My roommate in Boston would always make the best white bean and ham soup right after Easter wqith the leftover ham and use the ham bone to give the soup more flavor. One of the most comforting dishes I've ever had. The Hotal Bellweather in Bellingham, Washington had the best clam chowder I've tasted. Lots of clams, potato, bacon, cream, and chives.

CETURTL

• Total Posts: 77
                                                        • Location: Hilton Head Island, SC
                                                        RE: The world's BEST soup ? Sat, 07/22/06 4:42 AM (permalink)
                                                        I really enjoy the minestrone at Carrabba's. It has more cabbage than I usually think of in Minestron but that's why I like it!

Relentless

• Total Posts: 150
                                                          RE: The world's BEST soup ? Tue, 11/7/06 12:56 AM (permalink)
                                                          I have been fortunate enough to sample a pretty good variety of soups in a lot of good restaurants and in the homes of some very good cooks. I do soups pretty well myself if I do say so. However, the hands down winner for best soup? No question for me...the Fish Chowder from the No Name in Boston. Thirty years ago, when we had tired of the China Pearl and Bob Lee's Islander there was nothing better than a short trip to the No Name for the best Fish Chowder ever. At the time it was little more than a lunch counter for the fishermen that happened to be open all night. Great chowder served with a big chunk of bread and a slab of butter. All you could do to eat it all.

Personal best- Vegetable beef or split pea with ham.
                                                          Canned- Campbell's Pepperpot

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                                                            • Joined: 11/20/2000
                                                            • Location: Rogue Valley
                                                            RE: The world's BEST soup ? Sat, 01/5/08 7:41 PM (permalink)
                                                            reviving a good old thread

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 6 of 11, messages 151 to 180 of 320

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com