Snack Cakes from Forever Ago

Stevie Doug
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points : 0
Snack Cakes from Forever Ago - Tue, 06/8/04 3:13 PM
From my long past youth I remember inhaling Banana Flips and Jim Jam's with a glass (or 2) of milk after school. Anyone know if these snack cakes exist (are made and sold) anymore?

Kristi S.
  • Total Posts : 712
RE: Snack Cakes from Forever Ago - Tue, 06/8/04 3:23 PM
Banana Flips sound familiar...isn't that by Little Debbie?

Lucky Bishop
  • Total Posts : 1049
RE: Snack Cakes from Forever Ago - Tue, 06/8/04 3:27 PM
I don't think Little Debbie made Banana Flips, but I'm not 100% positive. I never ate one because I think banana-flavored things, with the exception of bananas, are almost always intensely nasty.

I remember seeing Banana Flips in convenience stores in Texas as recently as a couple years ago, so I bet they're still around.

I've never even heard of Jim Jams, though. What were they like?

Stevie Doug
RE: Snack Cakes from Forever Ago - Tue, 06/8/04 4:12 PM
Jim Jams were an inch-inch and a half yellow cake about the size of a small coffee can lid slice in half with cream filling in between and a jam-like (strawberry/raspberry?) topping sprinkled with coconut as I remember.
SD

emsmom
  • Total Posts : 955
RE: Snack Cakes from Forever Ago - Tue, 06/8/04 4:22 PM
I always liked Snowballs- little round sponge cakes covered in marshmellow and coconut. Then I liked Moon Pies of course. Also, when I was pregnant with my daughter, I craved chocolate Zingers.

6star
  • Total Posts : 4388
RE: Snack Cakes from Forever Ago - Tue, 06/8/04 4:24 PM
Here is a link for Banana Flips: http://www.wets.org/?BISKIT=1369802058&CONTEXT=cat&cat=365
I think you have to go there to get them.
(Little Debbie makes "Banana Twins".)

Lucky Bishop
  • Total Posts : 1049
RE: Snack Cakes from Forever Ago - Tue, 06/8/04 4:37 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Stevie Doug

Jim Jams were an inch-inch and a half yellow cake about the size of a small coffee can lid slice in half with cream filling in between and a jam-like (strawberry/raspberry?) topping sprinkled with coconut as I remember.
SD

Oh, like a round raspberry Zinger! I love those!

Kristi S.
  • Total Posts : 712
RE: Snack Cakes from Forever Ago - Tue, 06/8/04 4:40 PM
Think I found it:
http://www.bluebirdcake.com/electroPublisher/website/index.cfm?pageID=3

But after I eliminated Little Debbie, I could swear that Mickey made the 'flips'...is Mickey still in business?

Jennifer_4
  • Total Posts : 1508
RE: Snack Cakes from Forever Ago - Tue, 06/8/04 5:07 PM

From my long past youth I remember inhaling Banana Flips and Jim Jam's with a glass (or 2) of milk after school. Anyone know if these snack cakes exist (are made and sold) anymore?
[/quote

As soon as I read the title of this thread, the first thing I thought of was Banana Flips! I loved those things! I always thought Hostess made them.. thanks for bringing back happy memories :)

renfrew
  • Total Posts : 696
RE: Snack Cakes from Forever Ago - Wed, 06/9/04 8:19 AM
This was before my time I believe, but Jim Jams sound very good. Both the name and what they are. Keep us posted if you find them.

My youthful snacks were always Fudgetown cookies from Burry's and Drake's Cake's. I would love a Funny Bone...

tkitna
  • Total Posts : 620
RE: Snack Cakes from Forever Ago - Tue, 06/15/04 2:17 AM
Nickles bakery makes Banana Flips (as I just had one yesterday). Heres a site for them, but there are no pictures of the flip unfortunately.

http://www.nicklesbakery.com/products/pasteriessnackcakesdonuts.html

They also have come out with a red velvet twinkie type cake and its incredible. They always seem to be fresh.

If somebody else made the banana flip besides Nickles, I apologize. I've only been familiar with this one over the past twenty years.

Beer&Snausages
  • Total Posts : 418
RE: Snack Cakes from Forever Ago - Tue, 07/12/05 9:53 AM
Not sure if they are still made, but when I lived in Hawaii in the early 70's, they had a Banana Twinkie that was leaps and bounds better than the one served on the mainland. It wasn't banana creme filled but the cake portion was made with the bananas. Really close to a banana bread. I loved them. Any know if they are still made?

PaulBPool
  • Total Posts : 278
RE: Snack Cakes from Forever Ago - Tue, 07/12/05 10:13 AM
How about Drake's pound cake with RAISINS? I remember that so well, moist, sweet pound cake, with plump raisins inside! Soooo good with a glass of cold milk! Haven't seen them for years though...

jerseygirl127
  • Total Posts : 454
RE: Snack Cakes from Forever Ago - Tue, 07/12/05 10:33 AM
what about DRAKE'S coffee cakes and funny bones?? they are the BESt and can not be found anywhere around south bend, indiana... i have had friends send them to me once in a while so i can get a 'fix' of them.. funny isn't it- how certain foods get to us and we just HAVE to have them-- scary in a way the power food has over people..... but it's GOOD!! :)

octopus
  • Total Posts : 264
RE: Snack Cakes from Forever Ago - Thu, 07/14/05 3:24 PM
I have not seen Funny Bones in a while course have not really looked for them, but Coffee Cakes are readily available in my neck of the woods.

Kiowa1
  • Total Posts : 189
RE: Snack Cakes from Forever Ago - Thu, 07/14/05 4:37 PM
Kiowa
quote:
Originally posted by Kristi S.

Think I found it:

But after I eliminated Little Debbie, I could swear that Mickey made the 'flips'...is Mickey still in business?

Kiowa1
  • Total Posts : 189
RE: Snack Cakes from Forever Ago - Thu, 07/14/05 4:41 PM
quote:

Think I found it:

I believe you're right about Mickey's... I remember the Banana Flips and Zingers (never liked either of them), but I LOVED the cream filled devil's food sandwich they made... yum!!!

Sorry for the previous post... my bad...

BobbyA
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Snack Cakes from Forever Ago - Mon, 08/29/05 10:11 AM
Hi All,

While trying to find out if Mickey cakes are still made, and/or the name of the bakery(ies) that made them, I ran across the Banana Flips.
They were first named Banana Dreams, then renamed Banana Dream, and finally Banana Flip.

They are still available from:

http://www.mrsfreshleys.com/Products/cremefilled.html
According to the Patent & Trademark Ofice they are owned by the same folks that own Hostess and about 50 other brands.
It also appears they will ship them to you.

Any help with Mickey Cakes would be appreciated, and can be posted here or emailed to me at the current year at bobby.net, ie. 2005@xxxxx.xxx (hopefully this confuses the address collection bots).

Thank you,
Bobby

CarolinaBill
  • Total Posts : 207
RE: Snack Cakes from Forever Ago - Mon, 08/29/05 11:40 AM
Wow - now I'm dating myself with reference to Jane Parker baked goods from A&P...can now imagine several 20-something readers wondering what an A&P is....

I loved Jane Parker orange frosted cupcakes as a kid as well as their Spanish Bars, which were basically a dark spice cake with white frosting. Does anyone know if the remaining A&P's left in the Northeast still do the Jane Parker goods? They had some good stuff!

dasl_4
  • Total Posts : 187
RE: Snack Cakes from Forever Ago - Tue, 02/7/06 6:17 PM
I ran across banana flips today .. I think they were Dolly Madison (or Hostess)

bethgrd
  • Total Posts : 320
RE: Snack Cakes from Forever Ago - Tue, 02/7/06 7:11 PM
Sara Lee frozen iced banana cake in the loaf pan....they don't make it anymore, but my husband and I both adored it as kids, he growing up in MA and me in PA. I can still taste it. beth

stephiegirl
  • Total Posts : 132
RE: Snack Cakes from Forever Ago - Tue, 02/7/06 9:39 PM
Dolly Madison makes Banana Flips- which I have seen in the past couple of months at a party store and they also make the raspberry zingers which I adore. All this talk about sweets is making me hungry.

azure
  • Total Posts : 98
RE: Snack Cakes from Forever Ago - Tue, 02/7/06 9:47 PM
are chocodiles old or new?

Scarlett
  • Total Posts : 402
RE: Snack Cakes from Forever Ago - Tue, 02/7/06 10:46 PM
CarolinaBill, I can almost taste the JP Spanish Bar.. I loved those and the fruitcakes, too. I haven't seen an A&P in a long time...

dasl_4
  • Total Posts : 187
RE: Snack Cakes from Forever Ago - Tue, 02/7/06 11:49 PM
quote:
Originally posted by azure

are chocodiles old or new?
I think Unwrapped on the food channel said they have been made for over 40 yrs.

Miss Freddie
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Snack Cakes from Forever Ago - Sat, 04/8/06 2:05 AM

This is so funny. I found this site because someone found a thread that I responded to on another site, where I was talking about Banana Flips and Jim Jams.

I grew up in SW Ohio, born in 1955.

I could get a Barq's rootbeer and a Banana Flip,or a Jim Jam for a quarter.

Later, Dr. Pepper and a bag of Styer's BBQ chips was my choice for the quarter.

Mickey Cakes made the Banana Flip and the Jim Jan.

Anyone remember Mama's Cookies? You could get a large bag/box for twenty-nine cents.

AH...the good ol' days.

stephiegirl
RE: Snack Cakes from Forever Ago - Sat, 04/8/06 4:39 PM
I see now that King Kong is out on DVD they have come out with the Banana Twinkies by Hostess. I thought the creme was banana flavored, but now that I know it is the cake itself I might be willing to give them a try.

Red Green
  • Total Posts : 26
RE: Snack Cakes from Forever Ago - Fri, 04/14/06 9:07 PM
quote:

Think I found it:

I believe Mickey's was part of the Old Home/Sara Lee merger. I see Mickey's bannana flips at the Sara Lee day old bread store.

stephiegirl
RE: Snack Cakes from Forever Ago - Fri, 04/14/06 9:34 PM
I looked at the Banana Twinkies a little closer and they are a golden sponge cake with Banana creme filling. That turned me off, I thought it was the other way around.

sauceman
  • Total Posts : 184
RE: Snack Cakes from Forever Ago - Fri, 04/14/06 9:42 PM
I love Banana Flips. I believe Kern's makes them, don't they, Sundancer? They're getting pretty hard to find nowadays, but occasionally I'll run across them at a convenience store or newsstand.

Fred Sauceman

Ole Buckeye
RE: Snack Cakes from Forever Ago - Thu, 05/4/06 5:50 PM

[If memory serves, I remember Jim Jams Banana Flips and Spice Boats all being manufactured under the name of "Cookbook". I think there was a name with an apostrophe like Smith's or Brown's or some such word that preceded the word "Cookbook". I haven't seen any of these in northeastern Ohio for years.

emsmom
  • Total Posts : 955
RE: Snack Cakes from Forever Ago - Fri, 05/5/06 9:50 AM
I always like the Spanish Bar cakes. Even Winn Dixie sold those, but I don't remember who made them. I also liked the cinnamon buns with the white icing and with raisins in them. Years ago, the Christmas season would begin with my Daddy buying a Jane Parker fruitcake.

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4895
RE: Snack Cakes from Forever Ago - Sun, 05/7/06 10:20 PM
Mmmmmm. I'd kill for a 'Devil Dog" or a "Yankee Doodle" about now with a nice cold glass of milk.

Aljim
RE: Snack Cakes from Forever Ago - Sat, 06/24/06 12:33 PM
For young twenty-somethings, A&P was a supermarket chain from days gone by.A&P + Atlantic and Pacific Tea Co.We had quite a few here
in Chicago.They left about twenty-five years ago

doggydaddy
  • Total Posts : 1847
RE: Snack Cakes from Forever Ago - Sat, 06/24/06 1:38 PM
I used to love Drakes coffee cakes and Devil Dogs. Ring Dings were great too. Hostess seems to have aquired some of Drakes recipes/rights and their coffee cake is similar.

What I liked were Richs Chocolate Eclairs and Bavarian Creme Puffs that could be found in the store freezer section. They do not seem to be easily found, so I will go for Entenmanns chocolate eclairs.

mark

Eric B
  • Total Posts : 103
RE: Snack Cakes from Forever Ago - Wed, 06/28/06 7:09 PM
Dolly Madison (IBC) has inherited the banana flips from Mickey (ABC).
Flowers also used to make them, (that's what Mrs. Frehsley's would be)but the cake was always dry and gritty. They also made chocolate flips (vanilla creme) and even a vanilla flip.

I still have the paper labels from a lot of these things, and have even scanned them and used them as my desktop for a while.

I also still miss Drake's strawberry and banana Shortcakes (basically, their fake Twinkies back before the merger). And out West, the best tasting cakes I ever had were Break's (Campbell Taggart; now Earth Grains) Shake Cakes, which looked like Zingers, but were slightly longer, and came in vanilla, chocolate, and Strawberry.

These days, I have been eating Entenmann's mini carrot cakes, which are also sold in two in a pack, at least around here. They are kind of shaped like Zingers as well, but not as sugary, but tasty carrot cake. Totally unique in snack cakes.

herc914
RE: Snack Cakes from Forever Ago - Mon, 04/23/07 9:08 AM
Regarding the 'Banana Flips' & 'Jim Jams' there was a third cake treat called 'Devil's Delite' that was a devils food sandwich with a vanilla creme center. The label said "Cookbook Cake treats" and then later the word 'Mickey's' was added to the label as I remember. I grew up in the 50s & 60s in Michigan and we had them there.

T Wam
Re:Snack Cakes from Forever Ago - Sat, 03/31/12 3:15 PM
THIS IS CRAAAAAZY  my brother and I were just talking about jim jams the other day  they were his favorites!!!!!!

My favorite on the other hand was a small pie that had lemon jello then on top of that was a whipped cream with toasted coconut on top of it.  OMG i am drooling for one of those right now!!!!!

Hepcat
  • Total Posts : 374
Re:Snack Cakes from Forever Ago - Tue, 10/2/12 4:40 PM
Passion Flakies were called Puffed Squares 45 years ago and then Fruit Flakies for a brief period about 30 years ago. They're still the very best though by whatever name, but they're sold only in Canada:

They can be bought individually wrapped at most variety stores but buy a whole box of six if you're ever north of the border. You won't regret it. They'll make you want to move to Canada. 

<message edited by Hepcat on Wed, 10/3/12 11:04 AM>