Bologna

Cheeseburger
2003/04/17 15:12:46
Everybody has eaten Bologna in one form or another. When young it was stomach filler with mustard. A revalation in Memphis many years ago taught me that this simple, unassuming and much ridiculed sausage can achieve culinary stardom. I'm usually laughed at until the whole, smoked, all beef creation is removed from the spit and served with condiments.

What are your experiences with this much maligned tube?

Rumbelly
scbuzz
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Bologna 2003/04/17 15:32:00
I love bologna !! My favorite lunch meat ! I especially like the German bologna ! I love it on bread with mustard and mayo and cheese ... any type of cheese !

I like to cut a nice big thick slice and fry it in some butter !

I like the Italian bologna Mortedella too !

mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Bologna 2003/04/17 15:49:58
Fried Bologna sandwiches are a popular comfort food in the Louisville area. They are the center of attention at the Fall Sports Snack Bars at all the H S and College games . Right now, during the two weeks of the Derby Festival All of the 'Chuck Wagon's' around town are serving them almost as fast as they can fry'em.
The Chuck Wagon's are festival food stands located at the site of the various events of the Festival and in the downtown area. The Derby is far more than a horse race in this community.!
rumbelly
Cheeseburger
RE: Bologna 2003/04/17 16:07:49
What condiments do they provide with fried bologna at the chuck wagons? I'm jealous. Here in Ontario bologna is almost a perjorative term.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Bologna 2003/04/17 16:14:37
When I went through basic training in the Air force, it seemed if we had balogna several times a week. I will not tell you what we called it. After being force fed over eight weeks, I made a vow never to touch it again. A few years ago, I broke my vow when I put it on the charcoal grill. Much better that way. I try not to think of the ingredients much the same way as when I inhale a hot dog.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
ocdreamr
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Bologna 2003/04/17 16:57:58
Love my fried bologna sandwhiches, real comfort food. Best combo - bologna wrapped around a kosher dog & fried together.
Jennifer_4
RE: Bologna 2003/04/17 16:58:48
When I was younger all I knew about was the supermarket variety, I would eat it only on white bread with ketchup, or alone with ketchup. A real treat was getting it unsliced and eating it in chunks (with ketchup of course).. but a few years ago, I found Lebanon Bologna...WOW! what a revelation.. it bore no resemblance to the pink spongy stuff.. I love the sweet version particularly... now I'm hooked. It reminds me of a cross between dry salami and summer sausage.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Bologna 2003/04/17 17:02:13
I live in Knoxville, TN and I have not found a place that sells exotic balogna. Maybe Walmart does? I sorta doubt it. This poor little place ain't got much!! Lebanese Balogna?

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: Bologna 2003/04/17 17:06:26
A number of years ago, I bought some Lebanon bologna in Pennsylvania that was GREAT. Sitting here, I couldn't remember the brand, so I just did a search. I'm pretty sure the brand was Seltzer's, and here's the link I found (you can order it online now; I love the Internet). http://www.seltzersbologna.com/
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Bologna 2003/04/17 17:30:49
"Lebanese Balogna?"

No, it's Lebanon bologna, from the Lebanon, Pennsylvania area. Kroger carries a bad version of it.
yumbo
Cheeseburger
RE: Bologna 2003/04/17 19:59:19
I have unpleasant associations with bologna. Mainly about mushy white bread and trying to peel the stuff off the roof of my mouth after taking a bite. Can you guys name some other brands besides Lebanon? I'm afraid the only one I've seen out here (Seattle) is Oscar Mayer. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough?

-Yumbo
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Bologna 2003/04/17 20:05:51
A couple of post above yours came from Bushie and he gave a web site that I clicked on. It looked pretty interesting. I just ordered some Lebanon Balogna. I will not tell you what we called it in the Military. The picture looked more like a huge summer sausage. I imagine the taste will be somewhat different.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
bumper
Hamburger
RE: Bologna 2003/04/17 21:27:48
Paul some of the deli's around the U.T. campus use to have Lebanon
balogna
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Bologna 2003/04/17 21:29:54
Rummie,
If you substitute bologna for Hot Dog..on bread instead of in a bun, but treat it to the same decorations, you have the correct image. You can find them with everything from 'Kraut to Chili and every color of gooey stuff on top.
Paul,
In the Army we called it "Donkey xxxx" I will assume you guys in the Air Force would be more civil than that. On the same topic, remember those large cans of what loosely described as SPAM?? hehehe
Jennifer_4
RE: Bologna 2003/04/18 03:18:43
quote:
Originally posted by Bushie

A number of years ago, I bought some Lebanon bologna in Pennsylvania that was GREAT. Sitting here, I couldn't remember the brand, so I just did a search. I'm pretty sure the brand was Seltzer's, and here's the link I found (you can order it online now; I love the Internet). http://www.seltzersbologna.com/

I've sampled Seltzer's, Kurtztown, and some odd brand from Albertson's.. and I have to say I like Kurtztown the best, their prices are better and are (or used to be) shipping included!http://www.kutztownbologna.com/
Jennifer_4
RE: Bologna 2003/04/18 03:22:03
quote:
Originally posted by yumbo

I have unpleasant associations with bologna. Mainly about mushy white bread and trying to peel the stuff off the roof of my mouth after taking a bite. Can you guys name some other brands besides Lebanon? I'm afraid the only one I've seen out here (Seattle) is Oscar Mayer. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough?

-Yumbo

Living on the same side of the country as I do, you should also see Bar S and John Morrell brands, we also have Farmer John, but that may be indiginous to California. Stay away from Bar S, as they've had their share of viral scares in the past, I've found John Morrell to be the best, especially their thick and garlic varieties.
And now that I think about it, Hebrew National makes a pretty good kosher bologna chub.
fdm813
Cheeseburger
RE: Bologna 2003/04/18 05:01:20
Boar's Head makes good beef bologna. I get it at a local deli. They slice it to what ever thickness you require.
lvw
Hamburger
RE: Bologna 2003/04/18 10:46:41
Jennifer 4,

Yeah! White bread and ketchup!! The mere thought of it disgusts my husband, but what does he know? It's been YEARS since I've had a baloney (or bologna) and ketchup sandwich. I may have to stop at the store on the way home...

A more "adult" favorite of mine is a grilled mortadella and cheese sandwich with mustard.

Lisa
rumbelly
Cheeseburger
RE: Bologna 2003/04/20 14:09:11
Thank you all.

It warms my heart especially on Easter Sunday to know bologna is loved. Where I live it is joked about but seems to move quite rapidly at the supermarket.
RubyRose
RE: Bologna 2003/05/07 17:00:56
Alderfer's is my favorite commercially made Lebanon bologna in my area of Pennsylvania. The Allentown and Kutztown Farmers' Markets also have a few stands that make their own and it's such a treat. There is regular Lebanon bologna and also Sweet Lebanon, which has brown sugar in the mix.
Jennifer_4
RE: Bologna 2003/05/07 18:34:21
quote:
Originally posted by RubyRose

Alderfer's is my favorite commercially made Lebanon bologna in my area of Pennsylvania. The Allentown and Kutztown Farmers' Markets also have a few stands that make their own and it's such a treat. There is regular Lebanon bologna and also Sweet Lebanon, which has brown sugar in the mix.

Welcome, Ruby Rose, glad to have you aboard! Have you had the "honey" version of Lebanon bologna and if so, how does it compare with the regular sweet? I love the sweet myself..can't get enough of it.
RubyRose
RE: Bologna 2003/05/07 19:33:56
Our village grocery store sells one called Smoke 'n' Honey Roll made by either Kunzler or Alderfer. It's not as sweet as the sweet Lebanon but is less salty and is supposed to have less fat, although when it comes to bologna, I doubt if it makes much difference.
meowzart
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Bologna 2003/05/24 18:26:46
Growing up in Pennsylvania Dutch Country, the only bologna I knew was Lebanon (pronounced Leb-nin) bologna.

It should be noted, however, that Lebanon bologna comes in two different styles. Sweet and regular (reck-ler in Dutch speak). This could probably start a whole new argument over which is better, but the sweet is kind of gross. It is just not what I look for in a lunch meat. Now the regular kind. Now that is the ONLY bologna for me. And when it comes to frying it up in a pan, nothing is better. Fried Lebanon bologna between two buttered slices of squishy white bread is about as good a comfort food as it gets.

AND my mom used to make Lebanon bologna gravy. Think cream chipped beef but slices of fried Lebanon bologna instead of the beef. Served over toast was definitely one of my favorite mom-meals.

Want a great appetizer? Lebanon bologna and cream cheese. Take a slice of regular Lebanon bologna, spread with cream cheese, roll up. Slice roll into bit size pieces and stab with a tooth pick. Voila! Delicious canapes!

When we went to the farmer's market when I was a kid, we would get either Seltzer's or Kunzler's (they also make my favorite hot dogs). Seltzer's is the only kind I can get now that I live in MD.

Thanks all--I am off to raid my fridge now.

Yours in food,
meowzart
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Bologna 2003/05/24 18:31:15
The last time I was in Lancaster, PA, they have a great market downtown that is mostly Amish type food. All kinds of sausauges, cheeses, meats and anything else is available. Great food and a great farmers market.

The Lancaster area is one of the most beautiful ares for farming I have visited.

I particularly like the area between Blue Balls and Intercourse, PA. Great shopping and everyone gets off on the name.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Michael Stern
RE: Bologna 2003/05/25 06:08:34
About twice a year, I NEED lunchmeat balogna on soft white bread with Miracle Whip. The other 363 days, I'd prefer barbecued balogna as served at the Cozy Corner in Memphis:

jmckee
RE: Bologna 2003/05/25 11:20:05
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Stern

About twice a year, I NEED lunchmeat balogna on soft white bread with Miracle Whip. The other 363 days, I'd prefer barbecued balogna as served at the Cozy Corner in Memphis:

Again with the pictures. And me so hungry too...

Thanks, Michael. I was trying to remember where the BBQ bologna was served.
hawkeyejohn
Cheeseburger
RE: Bologna 2003/05/28 14:53:04
Fried bolo and cheese sandwiches were a favorite in college. Now it is a bologna on toasted wheat with sauerkraut, pickles and mustard.

When living in Iowa, there was ring bologna made by Pella or Boyd. Outstanding on a Ritz.
Lone Star
RE: Bologna 2003/05/28 16:47:09
I agree with Michael. I too just have to have the Oscar Myer kind with white bread just about twice a year. It is a really weird craving. I would love to try some of the "real" kind. I wonder if any of our Texas smokehouses make it, or is a regional creation?
Pwingsx
RE: Bologna 2003/05/28 17:31:26
Ok, I'm with the white bread/miracle whip/bologna brigade. Except as an added filip, it has to sit for several hours at room temperature. This is how I grew up with it, as it sat in my locker at school, in my metal school bus lunchbox.

Occasionally (!) I will still do this -- but I will make up the sandwich, pop it in a lunch bag and set it under a lamp for a few hours. Not quite the same, but you can't go home again....
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: Bologna 2003/05/28 17:37:22
Funny but a grilled cheese sandwich tastes better after a few hours in the steam table in the school cafeteria. Tried to "age" some at home but it never was the same.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Bologna 2003/05/28 17:39:25
I have not had balogna in many years due to dietary restrictions. I recall when I was very young and had a paper route that required me to deliver papers after school. that was when Knoxville's main paper was an evening paper. Mom packed my lunch for school which was a balogna and cheese sandwich on white with mayo and a extra double balogna with mayo for the paper route. I carried a lunch box which was metal and a thermos bottle that kept my milk cold. I cannot drink milk anymore due to a visit to a buddy of mine's dairy. Sorta turned me off.

She also packed me on occasion balogna and cheese on plain crackers. At the time, it was gourmet for this young business entrapeneur.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
BBQ Barney
Cheeseburger
RE: Bologna 2003/05/28 21:01:20
Ulrich's and Intveld's are the bologna purveyors on the square in Pella IA. Although Intvelds sells sandwiches at their butcher shop, most locals believe the Ulrich product to be far superior. Sliced, fried bologna with gouda cheese on a Pella bakery bun, heated in the oven until the cheese melts is a dutch treat!
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: Bologna 2003/05/28 21:09:21
BBQ Barney: Regional dialects are driving me crazy on this web site. Where I grew up, here in New York state, a "dutch treat" means that I invite you out for dinner and you are expected to pay for your dinner! I gather that to you, in the midwest, a "dutch treat" is something that is really a delight.
BBQ Barney
Cheeseburger
RE: Bologna 2003/05/29 21:07:02
seafarer---

Pella is a like a restored Dutch town--so from where I live 50 miles away, any good food from that town is a Dutch treat. M. Stern has written of this town's food now and then so I got carried away thinking everyone knew about a small Iowa town---oops!
kland01s
Filet Mignon
RE: Bologna 2003/06/03 12:12:40
At my local (Geneva, Il.) farmers market last Sunday, I had the chance to try Lebanon Bologna from Pa. Wow, now I understand why you like it! The stand was operated by Inglenook Pantry, a Geneva restaurant that features Pennsylvania Dutch cooking. The owners drive back to Pa. every week to buy meat, relishes etc. I haven't eaten there in a few years, the food is wonderful but very very rich. I'm sure their creamy and good mushroom soup has a zillion calories of butter and cream in it but oh so comforting.
Oneiron339
RE: Bologna 2003/06/11 09:37:55
Sundancer is right on. I grew up in Lancaster and head back to the markets whenever I visit. The bologna I grew up with is called sweet bologna, similar in color to Lebanon bologna, but with a sweeter, less tangy flavor. It looks like a large summer sausage, but is generally sliced thin for sandwiches. If you get to the meat markets early, you can ask for the bologna ends, which are the last hunks out of the casing, too small for sandwiches, but very tasty as a snack. They also make a bologna salad out of the bologna and mayo and relish - it's great as a spread or sandwich also. Weaver's, Groff's, Baum's, are local meat markets near Lancaster. Ask for the ring bologna. It is great as a snack with cheese and crackers especially with some Long's fresh horseradish which will bring tears to your eyes. Now I have to get back there soon to fill up my freezer. Yum.
roy51
Junior Burger
RE: Bologna 2003/06/18 11:04:10
The best bologna I've ever tasted was from Rudolph's Market in Deep Ellum in Dallas. It was superb.
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: Bologna 2003/06/18 18:26:54
Roy, Lone Star was asking on another thread a few weeks ago if there was any good bologna in Texas (made in Texas). I didn't think there was. Do you know if Rudolph's will ship?
elcoraidercheer
Junior Burger
RE: Bologna 2003/07/12 22:04:10
I know I'm a little late for this whole discussion, but I would have to say that Kutztown bolonga is the best! Growing up in Lebanon PA, my friends and I would take a slice of bolonga, smear it with mayo, roll it up, and eat it as a snack. Hehe, our parents hated it though, but it tasted SOOOO good! We would always have to do it while they weren't paying attention. I realize now how unhealthy it really was, but I still kind of miss it!
jgleduc
Cheeseburger
RE: Bologna 2003/07/12 22:26:24
I have to add my voice in praise of Lebanon Bologna. In the years before I was born, my parents live in PA and became fans of the stuff. We would visit Pennsylvania on vacations and always get it - to this day, my folks will pack a cooler with it before heading home. They came across at least three, as I recall, different levels of sweet/spiciness, all of which I enjoyed, so I didn't bother differentiating too much. The local Stop and Shop carries Lebanon Balogna - I'm not really sure what brand - which I am very grateful for, even though I don't buy much deli meat these days.