Hot!Long Island , NY

Page: << < ..67 Showing page 7 of 7
Junior Burger
RE: Long Island , NY 2011/04/09 09:09:00
As an ex Long Islander (Garden City), The very best Italian food  on L.I. in my opinion is at Umbertos in New Hyde Park. People will drive many miles to go to this popular resturant. When I go back once or twice a year it's a must visit spot for me.
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
RE: Long Island , NY 2011/04/09 10:07:13
Umberto's sure do make the bestest pizza, that's for sure.
Welcome KCARS all the way from Avon a nice Ct town.
From GC to Avon, a sideward move----two good places to live.
starrover
Junior Burger
RE: Long Island , NY 2011/04/15 23:50:52
I lived in Far Rockaway from 1960-1981. The place I loved to eat out at the most was Cairo's in Inwood. It makes me salivate just to try and remember the taste of the food. I was 7 years old in 1960. I loved the cold antipasto, the pastas - spaghetti and sausage was my favorite dish, the garlic bread - mmmmm. Nirvana indeed! If I could create any restaurant from the past and have it live again it would definitely be Cairo's!
LindaW
Cheeseburger
RE: Long Island , NY 2011/04/16 05:32:09
Starrover,  welcome to Roadfood!!! I was born in Far Rockaway, and we moved to Hewlett in the mid 60's. I remember Cairo's...and so many other great places that are no longer there... my dad's law practice was right by the Kentucky Fried Chicken place on Beach Channel Drive...many a great memory...
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
RE: Long Island , NY 2011/04/16 08:31:32
We lived just off Beach 19th St ----4 blocks from the beach---just past the hospital--
1934-1940-----never heard of Cairo's.  Actually there were no Italian Restaurants that I
remember, in fact there were no restaurants that I remember. 

Italian food was cooked by Italian neighbors but we never got any.  A can of Chef Boy-ar-dee was a big deal, it was the closest we got to Italian.  Of course my mother had her own version of spaghetti with sauce.  A box of Mueller's Spaghetti with a can of Campbell;s tomato soup
(undeluted) poured over it ----------The depression was depressing.

We had great home cooked meals other than Italian though----------Irish/German/Hungarian/Jewish-------and lots of fish from the Atlantic Ocean,
and lots of Hot Dogs from the A & P.

Biggest deal in those years was getting cold cuts from the deli as something different from
the every day diet. 

hdog123
Junior Burger
RE: Long Island , NY 2011/06/05 14:23:41
I just signed up here. Weird the way the posts work first to last. Some of you have been posting here for years. Thats Fantastic. Many good suggestions I must say. Still living here on Long Island, never wanted to escape.

If anyone is interested in really good LI style deli, the best and maybe the only one left is in Queens. It's the Douglaston Deli. They have the best, Potato salad, Macaroni salad, cole slaw etc on the planet!  No I don't own the place! @Ancient Mariner My grandmother use to make mullers with the tomato soup all the time. I loved it! She use to use Campbells Tomato Bisque it had big chunks of tomato in it!

ann peeples
Sirloin
RE: Long Island , NY 2011/06/05 15:43:27
Welcome, hdog123. We look forward to your food experiences and input.
MacTAC
Cheeseburger
RE: Long Island , NY 2011/06/05 15:56:59
hdog123

If anyone is interested in really good LI style deli, the best and maybe the only one left is in Queens. It's the Douglaston Deli. They have the best, Potato salad, Macaroni salad, cole slaw etc on the planet! 

Hi hdog123! I look forward to trying the Douglaston Deli. I'm a big fan of "traditional" deli potato salad.

Whenever I get up your way, I enjoy Salvatore's coal oven pizza and sometimes one of the Ayhans...
Sally P
Junior Burger
RE: Long Island , NY 2012/05/26 13:01:36
HI spent many a summer at Beau Rivage beach!! I remember the wooden boardwalk, and the splinters in my feet! I loved that beach as the water was calm and no high wwaves as there were at Jones Beach. I used to look out at the houses on the other side, and dream...
hagster
Junior Burger
RE: Long Island , NY 2012/05/26 14:16:26
Sally,
I have vague memories of going to Beau Rivage as a child, and I remember I liked it a lot! As I recall it was pretty small. Do you remember more details, like where exactly it was located? I seem to recall a wooden platform/float that we swam out to...
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Long Island , NY 2012/05/26 15:59:16
Freeport, here are pix, takes a while to load.

http://www.longislandmemo...81coll12/id/3709/rec/2

http://www.longislandmemo...1coll12/id/6196/rec/23

Same place today http://goo.gl/nUSZI  or http://binged.it/MPP4A5
post edited by kozel - 2012/05/26 16:07:35
bigbear
Hamburger
RE: Long Island , NY 2012/05/26 16:12:18
I did a little Googling and it appears to have been in Freeport, at the foot of Prospect Street & Farview Place.

edit-(Damn... that kozel guy beat me to it)
post edited by bigbear - 2012/05/26 16:14:51
hagster
Junior Burger
RE: Long Island , NY 2012/05/26 20:16:33
kozel,
those pictures are awesome! Thanks! And thanks bigbear too.
One of these days I'll have to take a ride down that way since I'm still on Long Island. That should be a kick!
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Long Island , NY 2012/05/27 08:30:53
bigbear
I did a little Googling and it appears to have been in Freeport, at the foot of Prospect Street & Farview Place.
edit-(Damn... that kozel guy beat me to it)

If you are up to a google (or any search engine) challenge, check out....

http://searchresearch1.blogspot.com/

On Wednesday mornings he posts a search related question.
jimmysmoot
Junior Burger
RE: Long Island , NY 2012/05/30 09:43:46
stopped at Turtle Crossing in the Hamptons!  Good southwestern(ish) food at a decent price (for the hamptons)
kaylageide
Junior Burger
RE: Long Island , NY 2013/12/18 16:56:06
Hello,
I know it has been a number of years since this was posted, but I was wondering if by any chance you could contact me.. I am the great great granddaughter of the owners of "Geide's Inn" and I would LOOOOVE to learn more about it..
It seemed like you knew quite a bit.
My mom and I have been trying to surprise our family with some unknown information that only people who were actually there would know!!
Thank you sooo much
it would be of great help!
Kayla :)
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Long Island , NY 2013/12/18 20:27:30
starrover

I lived in Far Rockaway from 1960-1981. The place I loved to eat out at the most was Cairo's in Inwood. It makes me salivate just to try and remember the taste of the food. I was 7 years old in 1960. I loved the cold antipasto, the pastas - spaghetti and sausage was my favorite dish, the garlic bread - mmmmm. Nirvana indeed! If I could create any restaurant from the past and have it live again it would definitely be Cairo's!

I've probably mentioned the following somewhere in the previous 13 pages but I'm way to lazy and impatient to try and find what I posted. So, let me just say this.
I grew up in the Five Towns on Long Island graduating from Lawrence H.S. in 1958.

I remember Cairo's in Inwood (one of the Five Towns) very well. It was THE place for Italian food in the Five Towns.

I also remember my personal favorite Italian restaurant, Garberino's in Valley Stream. Or possibly, it was in Lynbrook.

We loved Raynor's Cabin on Sunrise Highway in Baldwin for the greatest fried chicken and corn fritters.

The best diner for me was the old (now long gone) Central Diner in Cedarhurst. .25 cent cheeseburgers back then.

I could go on and on but suffice to say, Long Island had the best restaurants, anywhere!
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Long Island , NY 2013/12/18 21:56:08
Also, many, many thanks to kozel, for the Google pictures of Baldwin and especially, Baldwin Harbor. I did a close up and found pictures of the house we lived in on Van Buren Street off the corner of Milburn Avenue in Baldwin Harbor during 1952 and 1953.

The late actor, Gene Lockhart and his daughter June Lockhart (she played the mom in the old Lassie TV series) lived directly across the street from us. I remember once when the late Dan Dailey came to visit them and we watched him dance in their home. What a thrill for a 12 year old starstruck kid.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
RE: Long Island , NY 2013/12/18 22:12:23
I've learned a lot about Long Island in the last few years. My GF is originally from North Massapequa. Last trip there she brought me back a T-shirt from the Crab Shack in Freeport. Looks like a place I'd like to try some time. 
ROHfan
Hamburger
RE: Long Island , NY 2013/12/27 17:45:45
There's a really nice little place that I've been going to in Babylon Village called "Tricia's Cafe." They have a smallish menu but what they offer is good to excellent. Prices are great...you can get a burger and half order of any style shrimp for $10. Food is Cajun-inspired but they are known for their burgers and homemade Maryland crab cakes. I've yet to be disappointed in any of the shrimp I've tried there.  1950's style Decor is also nice and although the place is small it's very comfortable. I wish they would do something about their coleslaw which, unfortunately, is awful.
Page: << < ..67 Showing page 7 of 7