Sport Peppers - What are they?

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 65
SFS Fan
  • Total Posts : 58
  • Reward points : 0
Sport Peppers - What are they? - Mon, 06/21/04 8:07 PM
What exactly is a sport pepper? Out here in the Sacramento area, I can't find anything labeled as "sport pepper" at the grocery store and I'd like to create my own version of a (pseudo) Chicago style hot dog. So, what kind (type) of pepper is it? What can I use as a substitute? Thanks!

prius
  • Total Posts : 109
RE: Sport Peppers - What are they? - Mon, 06/21/04 8:30 PM
A sport pepper is a southern thing...down here we put it on collards, etc. They are small green peppers (hot) packed in vinegar and come in a bottle like Texas Pete...the peppers are small and whole. You might try the Garner Foods website (Texas Pete)...all of their products are good and it's a local company here in North Carolina.

fdaniels
  • Total Posts : 84
RE: Sport Peppers - What are they? - Mon, 06/21/04 9:38 PM

Google turned up some sites:

This is the brand I buy when I get them...

http://www.peppers.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=3576

kland01s
  • Total Posts : 2835
RE: Sport Peppers - What are they? - Tue, 06/22/04 11:25 AM
Sport peppers are also a Chicago thing, used on Italian Beefs and Chicago dogs, small green hot peppers.

Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2413
RE: Sport Peppers - What are they? - Tue, 06/22/04 11:32 AM
Alot of restaurants down here keep them on the tables for use. The bad thing is that most people use the juice(vinegar)and the restaurant constantly replaces the vinegar on the peppers and you usually end up with hot pepper look alike that tastes more like vinegar. I make my own. I buy my favorite hot pepper, wash them, put them in a jar with a little salt, bring some vinegar to a near boil, pour over the peppers, cool, seal and place in the fridge. The juice is great on greens, acre peas, and the peppers go great with some homemade cornbread and fried chicken. Lousiana and Tabasco are the more common brands here.

Cakes
  • Total Posts : 562
RE: Sport Peppers - What are they? - Tue, 06/22/04 11:36 AM
But what kind of pepper are they?

Rusty246
RE: Sport Peppers - What are they? - Tue, 06/22/04 11:52 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Cakes

There is a specic pepper called a "sport" pepper, kind of like a tabasco pepper.

1bbqboy
  • Total Posts : 4542
RE: Sport Peppers - What are they? - Tue, 06/22/04 12:16 PM
You mean the bottles of Crystal, which were on lots of cafe tables in KC. We never took the peppers out to eat them though!
Not sure if I've ever seen it on tables out west, but I can get bottles at our local Grocery Outlet. Try there, Matthew.
Where do peppercinis (Greek peppers) fit in? That's what we get offered on sandwiches & dogs here in the west. Do both kinds of peppers go on sandwiches in the east, or do you choose one or the other?

Rusty246
RE: Sport Peppers - What are they? - Tue, 06/22/04 12:54 PM
Crystal Brand are popular here and I have purchased them at my local grocer. Most of the places that serve the greek peppers here are Italian restaurants, namely Olive Garden(sorry) and some of our sub places offer them as well. I think they are great and again enjoy those with fried chicken. Heck, everything goes with fried chicken.
We have NO places that specialize in dogs which is a crying shame. We had ONE(not counting the bowling alley) some time back called "The Dog House". I could put them to shame, I mean really, who can't put canned cheese sauce on their own dog.

Cakes
  • Total Posts : 562
RE: Sport Peppers - What are they? - Tue, 06/22/04 1:13 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty246

quote:

There is a specic pepper called a "sport" pepper, kind of like a tabasco pepper.

You are absolutely right. I should have Googled it before I asked. I cannot believe how many varieties of peppers there are.

Cakes

tiki
  • Total Posts : 4135
RE: Sport Peppers - What are they? - Tue, 06/22/04 3:52 PM
its alot like a tabasco pepper---heres a source for home growing;
http://www.tomatogrowers.com/hot5.htm

scroll down about half the page

Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: Sport Peppers - What are they? - Tue, 06/22/04 4:47 PM
quote:

From the page cited by Tiki: "This Capsicum annum type of pepper is popular for its use as a pickled pepper to go on hot dogs and other sandwiches. It is especially well known as an essential condiment in a Chicago-style hot dog. Peppers resemble Tabasco peppers, but the Sport pepper is larger, about 1-1/2 inches long and 1/2 inch wide. They are medium-hot and produced in great abundance on sturdy plants. 75 days."

But I wonder whether the name might refer to the peppers' genetics. "Sport" is a synonym for mutations in that connection.

tiki
  • Total Posts : 4135
RE: Sport Peppers - What are they? - Tue, 06/22/04 5:01 PM
it may have been originally a "sport" off a tabasco--its now the "varietal" name.---i know that most of the sport peppers that are commercially prepared are picked small---have a friend that aqctually grew them in California----for the same reason that Matt was asking---she was from Chicago and couldnt get them out there so she grew them and she would pick them young all season and pickle them in vinegar to use on hot dogs and in samdwiches---she was the person that introduced me to italian beef sandwiches---made them all the time---loved them---but i was never fond of chicago style hot dogs---too many toppings--couldnt taste the dog!!---of course on alot of places---unfortunately here in Okla included---that HELPED!---anyway--i liked the sport peppers she made even better if she let them get fully mature on the plant before picking---KILLER in subs!

Methais
  • Total Posts : 142
RE: Sport Peppers - What are they? - Mon, 04/13/09 11:15 PM
I seem to be having the same problem. I went to Walmart to day and they didn't have anything labeled "sport pepper", so I got this at the store across the street since Walmart didn't have it either:

Are those sport peppers? I did a google image search and most of the results looked different and bigger, like this:

and this

and this

and this

You get the idea. Those all appear to be different peppers, but according to the search, they're all sport peppers.

I'm confused :(

Mosca
  • Total Posts : 2934
RE: Sport Peppers - What are they? - Tue, 04/14/09 8:46 AM
Substitute pepperoncinis.

Big Kahuna Kooks
  • Total Posts : 490
RE: Sport Peppers - What are they? - Tue, 04/14/09 8:53 AM
You can try ordering on line from Chicago Pickl;e Company...or visit Vienna Beef website for sport pepper source.

Big Kahuna Kooks
You can try ordering on line from Chicago Pickl;e Company...or visit Vienna Beef website for sport pepper source.

Big Kahuna Kooks

mar52
  • Total Posts : 7599
RE: Sport Peppers - What are they? - Tue, 04/14/09 10:06 AM
I think Il Primo makes the Sport Pepper usually seen on the Chicago Dog... in Chicago.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17828
RE: Sport Peppers - What are they? - Tue, 04/14/09 10:54 AM
Aren't they just serrano chiles?

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9552

Foodbme
RE: Sport Peppers - What are they? - Tue, 04/14/09 12:55 PM
Could the Dr. BBQ pictured here be OUR Dr. of BBQ?????

http://www.fiery-foods.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2474&Itemid=55

cy_dugas
  • Total Posts : 199
Re:Sport Peppers - What are they? - Tue, 04/14/09 1:03 PM
My grandfather spent most of his life transporting peppers (mostly cayenne & tabassco) to the various pepper plants around St. Martinville, LA.  He'd save some sport peppers for Maw to stuff into wild game (chopped small w/garlic& onions - inserted into the breast of birds, etc.)  Some kick, and I guess similar to tabassco.

cy

rouxdog
  • Total Posts : 1421
RE: Sport Peppers - What are they? - Tue, 04/14/09 1:32 PM
Michael, I don't believe they are serranos. I mail order Il Primo HOT Sport peppers by the case as pictured above courtesy of Mar 52. Looking at an unopened jar at the moment, the label reads "HOT Sport Peppers", Mar's label reads "Chicago Hot Dog Sport Peppers".  I choose fresh serranos over jalapenos at the grocery store. Even though my Sports are called "hot", the Scoville unit level is much lower than Serranos.  They have a slight but distinctive shape difference compared to a serrano. My experience......Both are from the pepper family but cousins in my opinion. Sports are a variety as is Serranos.
Ingredients listed on this jar are listed as follows: sport peppers, vinegar, salt, FD&C, yellow 5. They are described as "Mississippi style sport peppers made famous by Chicago style hot dogs. Used for decades in beef, hot dogs, and pizza establishments all over Chicago". Hope this helps.

Michael Hoffman
RE: Sport Peppers - What are they? - Tue, 04/14/09 1:36 PM

Thanks for the information. It just seemed to me that sport peppers must have an actual name other than sport pepper, and from photos I thought they resembled serranos.

rouxdog
RE: Sport Peppers - What are they? - Tue, 04/14/09 1:46 PM
A little research can be useful. I just googled "sport peppers". The second site was ROADFOOD! A good discussion took place in 2004. Check it out.

Captain Morgan
  • Total Posts : 503
RE: Sport Peppers - What are they? - Tue, 04/14/09 1:49 PM
Foodbme

http://www.fiery-foods.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2474&Itemid=55

no

I can't say for sure, but I think the peppers in the Texas Pete vinegar
bottles so common here in the Carolinas are not the same thing as a 
sport pepper.  I've never ever once heard those called sport peppers
here.  First time I heard of a Chicago dog, I immediately thought "what the
heck is a sport pepper?"

They may be the same, just different jargon, but methinks otherwise. 

Foodbme
RE: Sport Peppers - What are they? - Tue, 04/14/09 1:52 PM
Michael Hoffman

Thanks for the information. It just seemed to me that sport peppers must have an actual name other than sport pepper, and from photos I thought they resembled serranos.

They are not Serranos. They are a specific cultivated variety, or cultivar, of Capsicum annuum. The term "sport" probably originated because they are used as condiments on hot dogs sold in baseball parks. They are not related to tabascos, which are Capsicum frustescens. Some sources say they are of the piquin pod type, but they are larger than the typical piquin. ’Sport Peppers’ are grown in the Midwest specifically for pickling.

ScreamingChicken
  • Total Posts : 4724
RE: Sport Peppers - What are they? - Tue, 04/14/09 2:03 PM
Foodbme

No, they're 2 different people although they both have ties to Illinois.  Dr. BBQ is Ray Lampe (I have one of his books) and Dr. of BBQ is Jack...well, I don't know Jack's last name!

Brad

Michael Hoffman
RE: Sport Peppers - What are they? - Tue, 04/14/09 2:41 PM
Foodbme

Michael Hoffman

They are a specific cultivated variety, or cultivar, of Capsicum annuum.

Yes, I'm aware of that. What I wanted to know is which "specific cultivated variety." I'm sure the specific cultivated variety has a name, and it's not sport pepper.

<message edited by Michael Hoffman on Tue, 04/14/09 2:43 PM>

Methais
  • Total Posts : 142
RE: Sport Peppers - What are they? - Tue, 04/14/09 3:33 PM
rouxdog

A little research can be useful. I just googled "sport peppers". The second site was ROADFOOD! A good discussion took place in 2004. Check it out.

You do realize that the thread you're referring to is this thread, right?

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
RE: Sport Peppers - What are they? - Tue, 04/14/09 3:39 PM
I love Chicago style dogs, and when I cant get to a restaurant that has "authentic"ones, I try and make my own.I found sport peppers, believe it or not, in the Mexican food section of our local grocery store. And I found them at a Mexican food store. The only thing I have to have someone bring me, or order online, is that neon green relish. And that is a must!

rouxdog
RE: Sport Peppers - What are they? - Tue, 04/14/09 5:28 PM
Hey Annie the neon green relish is likely in your kitchen!!!!!!!
ingredients..........
store bought sweet relish, mix with
green food coloring until you feel good.........

Hence, neon green relish!

Adjudicator
  • Total Posts : 5057
RE: Sport Peppers - What are they? - Tue, 04/14/09 7:19 PM
Mosca

Substitute pepperoncinis.

Substitute serranos.  Much better.

JMG
  • Total Posts : 35
RE: Sport Peppers - What are they? - Tue, 04/14/09 10:12 PM
We call 'em 'dynamite sticks' when ordering a Chicago-Style hotdog. I like them but they don't like me...too hot for my taste. I prefer pepperoncini, they still give you a bit of a kick but they're not as overpowering as dynamite sticks, at least to my taste. Pepperoncini are also good with Italian Beef sandwiches. My favorite brand is Dell' Alpe.

www.dellalpe.com

Foodbme
RE: Sport Peppers - What are they? - Wed, 04/15/09 12:13 AM
Michael Hoffman

Foodbme

Michael Hoffman

Yes, I'm aware of that. What I wanted to know is which "specific cultivated variety." I'm sure the specific cultivated variety has a name, and it's not sport pepper.

According to Wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsicum_annuum , Capsicum Annuum covers a broad spectrum of Peppers. Sport Peppers are mentioned, but no specific sub species is mentioned  I don't think the species chart goes any deeper than that. I don't think there is a specific species for sport peppers. They must be a hybrid of several other sub-species. But who knows??? 
You've thrown down the Gauntlet on the subject and my Mission is to find the answer----
Perhaps it lies with the Holy Grail or the recipe for the KFC 11 Secret Herbs & Spices!!

Michael Hoffman
RE: Sport Peppers - What are they? - Wed, 04/15/09 12:39 AM

fabulousoyster
  • Total Posts : 1855
RE: Sport Peppers - What are they? - Wed, 04/15/09 9:23 AM
Scroll down for the pix and detail in the link.

RESEMBLES Tabasco, but is in the family of Capiscum Annum.

<message edited by fabulousoyster on Wed, 04/15/09 9:45 AM>

Mosca
  • Total Posts : 2934
RE: Sport Peppers - What are they? - Wed, 04/15/09 10:59 AM
fabulousoyster

Scroll down for the pix and detail in the link.

RESEMBLES Tabasco, but is in the family of Capiscum Annum.

Scrolling further down, I used to grow those Thai Hot Ornamentals indoors. Man, those were hot! I would let the pods dry out and make a "shake" of the powder, for use on eggs etc.

Foodbme
RE: Sport Peppers - What are they? - Wed, 04/15/09 1:53 PM
Foodbme

Michael Hoffman

Foodbme

Michael Hoffman

According to Wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsicum_annuum , Capsicum Annuum covers a broad spectrum of Peppers. Sport Peppers are mentioned, but no specific sub species is mentioned  I don't think the species chart goes any deeper than that. I don't think there is a specific species for sport peppers. They must be a hybrid of several other sub-species. But who knows??? 
You've thrown down the Gauntlet on the subject and my Mission is to find the answer----
Perhaps it lies with the Holy Grail or the recipe for the KFC 11 Secret Herbs & Spices!!

In our Quest to get the answer to this burning question, I sent an email to Dave Dewitt at www.fiery-foods.com
Dave DeWitt is one of the foremost experts in the world on chile peppers and spicy foods, and has written more than 30 books on those subjects, including his latest, Cuisines of the Southwest.
We'll see how he responds.

Michael Hoffman
RE: Sport Peppers - What are they? - Wed, 04/15/09 2:19 PM
Neat!

Foodbme
RE: Sport Peppers - What are they? - Thu, 04/16/09 12:46 AM
Michael Hoffman

Neat!

OK Michael and all others who are sitting on the edge of your seats waiting for the tablets to come down from the Chile Mountaintop, here's  the response from the Foremost Authority on Chile Peppers, Dave Dewitt:
" Hello Jim:
Jeez, nobody wants that kind of information, (Except Michael Hoffman, 'my add') but here it is: Capsicum annuum c.v. 'Sport Pepper', where c.v. stands for cultivated variety.
Dave"

That's it------ The Latin Names Food Chain does not go down any further than CAPSCIUM ANNUUM. Deal With It!! The end of the Divinci Code Search!!

Big Kahuna Kooks
RE: Sport Peppers - What are they? - Sat, 05/9/09 12:33 PM
Those of us in Florida can buy a jar at Hot Dog Heaven on sunrise blvd. for a couple bucks. i think we've covered CAPSCIUM ANNUUM ad nauseum....bkk

Foodbme
RE: Sport Peppers - What are they? - Sat, 05/9/09 11:34 PM
Big Kahuna Kooks

Those of us in Florida can buy a jar at Hot Dog Heaven on sunrise blvd. for a couple bucks. i think we've covered CAPSCIUM ANNUM ad nauseam....bkk

No Big Deal! It's  just  a name of a pepper with the name, Sport Peppers, in the Capscium Annum family-- NBD!!! No Mystique involved!!

angelacool
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Sport Peppers - What are they? - Sat, 06/12/10 11:09 PM
interesting thoughts here... but sport peppers are simply pickled serranos!!

MilwFoodlovers
  • Total Posts : 3090
RE: Sport Peppers - What are they? - Sun, 06/13/10 9:19 AM
Here's a link for Mississippi Sport Peppers

enginecapt
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: Sport Peppers - What are they? - Sun, 06/13/10 9:58 AM
Sport peppers are vile, vinegary little abominations. Pre-vinegar, they're flavorful little bundles of goodness.

oxyk
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Sport Peppers - What are they? - Tue, 06/29/10 3:00 PM
Go to your ethnic foods section, in the Mexican isle and buy pickled serrano peppers in a small can. They are the exact same pepper.

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15062
Re:Sport Peppers - What are they? - Tue, 06/29/10 4:11 PM
Didn't Ron White do a comedy bit titled, "They call me 'Sporty pepper'?"

Foodbme
Re:Sport Peppers - What are they? - Tue, 06/29/10 4:14 PM
mayor al

Didn't Ron White do a comedy bit titled, "They call me 'Sporty pepper'?"

Don't know about "Sporty Pepper", but he does use "They call me Tater Salat" and his son is "Tater Tots"

hkrall
  • Total Posts : 42
RE: Sport Peppers - What are they? - Thu, 10/14/10 5:14 PM
angelacool

interesting thoughts here... but sport peppers are simply pickled serranos!!

Are we so sure about that? Wikipedia says so, but that could be a mistake. Serranos are 10,000 - 25,000 scoville units, while Sport peppers are fairly mild. 

Also, why would this farm in Ohio grow both Serranos and Sport peppers, list one as hot and one as milder if they were the same?
boyerts.com/2010%20%20HOT%20PEPPERS.pdf

hkrall
RE: Sport Peppers - What are they? - Thu, 10/14/10 5:17 PM
Here are the descriptions from the farm's website:

27. SERRANO very hot chile called for in many recipes.  Candle-flame shaped fruits are 2 1⁄4” 
long, green then red at full maturity.  Suitable for salsas and sauce recipes as well as eating 
fresh. Vigorous bearer.  10,000 22,000 Scoville units 

30. SPORT 75 days.  Use as a pickled pepper on hot dogs and other sandwiches.  Peppers are 
1.5 x .5”.  Medium-hot and an essential condiment in a Chicago-style hot dog.   

And an excerpt from a book about hot peppers (grabbed from Barry Popik's great site)

Hot Peppers: 
The Story of Cajuns and Capsicum

By Richard Schweid 
Edition: 2, revised, illustrated 
Chapel Hill, NC: UNC Press 
Pg. 24: 
“Then my daddy took to growin’ sport peppers. Sports are not as large as cayennes, and not so small as tabascos. They’re an in-between size. They were called sports because they didn’t burn your hand when you picked them. Also, a sport pepper looks like somebody dressed up in a nice, new suit. That’s just how it looks.”

Foodbme
RE: Sport Peppers - What are they? - Thu, 10/14/10 5:24 PM
Did anyone from the New Mexico Roadfood Tour ask the Good Professor at NMSU about Sport Peppers? If not, maybe someone, (like Jane or Michael), could contact him and get the Authorative Scoop on them. 

hkrall
RE: Sport Peppers - What are they? - Fri, 10/15/10 2:53 PM
I actually called the Tomato Growers Supply Company (I know, I get obsessed with these things) who sells seeds for both and she says they (Serrano and Sport) are absolutely different peppers. Different shape and size and they grow different flowers. 

I've noticed some recent articles and posts reciting that "sport peppers are actually pickled serranos" but it looks like this is not the case, although I'm sure they make a fine substitute. Of course i won't be 100% convinced until I grow and pickle both myself....

Foodbme
RE: Sport Peppers - What are they? - Fri, 10/15/10 5:23 PM
We're going to settle this once and for all. I just emailed Dr. Paul Bosland, World Renowned Authority on all things in the Pepper Universe, at The Chile Pepper Institute at New Mexico State University and ask him to identify & define exactly what "Sport Peppers" are. Should hear back next week and will post his reply.

Schmelly
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: Sport Peppers - What are they? - Thu, 08/18/11 11:42 AM
Bump...So does anyone know the answer to what Sport Peppers are ?

I would like to possible add a Chicago Dog to my menu but I would like to get it right....

I was thinking of possibly using Peppercini's if they are the correct pepper...Or possibly pickling my own peppers...
thanks, Schmelly

ScreamingChicken
  • Total Posts : 4724
RE: Sport Peppers - What are they? - Thu, 08/18/11 1:48 PM
Schmelly, for authenticity:

http://www.viennabeef.com/products/item.asp?PRODUCT_ID=21

Brad

mar52
RE: Sport Peppers - What are they? - Thu, 08/18/11 2:03 PM
Il Primo Products manufactures actual Sport Peppers found on Chicago Dogs.  They will sell them directly to you if you buy them in quantity:

You can see a picture of the Il Primo pepper on the first page of this post.

mar52
RE: Sport Peppers - What are they? - Thu, 08/18/11 2:11 PM
I used to sell the Il Primo Sport Peppers in my store so I went downstairs to read the bottle.

I forgot that they're sold and manufactured by Garden Row Foods.

Their website is:  www.eathot.com

Contact them and they'll tell you all about them.

Garden Row Foods also reps items made by other manufacturers and is a good contact for those of you that need hot sauces and other type condiments.

Schmelly
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: Sport Peppers - What are they? - Thu, 08/18/11 8:01 PM
thanks for the info Mar.....How hot would you say these Sport Peppers are ? 

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 65