Potato Chips

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Junior Burger
RE: Potato Chips 2006/04/27 19:50:28
ive never even heard of gibbles
beacupcake
Junior Burger
RE: Potato Chips 2006/04/27 20:18:17
Has anyone ever had Ketchup flavored Potato chips? My boyfriend was in Vancouver last week and happened upon Lays Kethcup chips. They actually taste like potato chips w/ ketchup and they're oddly addicting, but all the same, I don't think I would ever buy them again!
kidtcha
Junior Burger
RE: Potato Chips 2006/04/27 22:21:39
Originally posted by signman

Route 11, what do you think of Route 11 chips?
[/quote
]
I did a quick potato chip factory tour last summer....went to Snyder's of Hanover, Utz, Herrs and Route 11... I had a blast! My favorite is Herrs and second favorite is Route 11.
offlady
Cheeseburger
RE: Potato Chips 2006/04/30 02:41:18
There are Kitch'n Cooked potato chips still made in Hawaii--in Maui and Kona. The Kona ones are sliced thin and the Maui ones are thick. In college I watched a guy in the dorms lilght one of the Maui chips on fire. It melted into a oily black gunk. It didn't stop me from eating them though. I am hoping to find the Utz chips that are fried in lard. Does anyone know where I can find those?
Shunick
Junior Burger
RE: Potato Chips 2006/06/11 11:06:01
quote:
Originally posted by BBQ Barney

OC-- I agree that Sterzing's are the best--but since they are not particularly salty, haven't tried the no-salt available here in Iowa. The good news is the new, luncheon size bags of these great chips, which I pick up for frequent carry out lunches. Buying only small bags, I now don't eat too many forbidden foods! Crunching only twice weekly in Iowa-----

I love Sterzing's. I used to have them shipped to me. I guess I'll have to order some now.
roadrash
Cheeseburger
RE: Potato Chips 2006/06/12 01:17:14
My current favorites:

Middlewarth's (Hanover, PA)
Grandma Utz's Kegle Cooked
Lay's Kettle Cooked
John A
Filet Mignon
RE: Potato Chips 2006/06/12 18:21:27
I like Lay's chips, but I love Wise chips.

John
jujubean5858
Junior Burger
RE: Potato Chips 2007/02/01 23:22:36
When I was a little girl my granddad and I would sit around and eat Hillbilly BBQ chips...My mother tells me she thinks they were made by Guy's brand chips. I really wish they would bring those wonderful chips back. Why is it that all the BBQ flavored chips these days are "sweet" BBQ instead of "light your mouth on fire" BBQ??!!
Pennagirl
Junior Burger
RE: Potato Chips 2007/06/29 19:09:35
My dad and sister worked for Nibble with Gibble's. The company basically went under and the bulk of the manufacturing was sold to the cousin (Martin's Potato Rolls, Chambersburg, PA).

The only thing that was still being made was the Cheese Puffys. The were and are the best.

My dad ran the transportation fleet, my sister was in the network department.

It was sad when the chips were done being made. Miss the brand.

Love Grandma Utz chips, one of the first things I buy when I get back to PA. (along with Butterscotch TastyKakes, a decent cheesesteak and a hoagie).
Pennagirl
Junior Burger
RE: Potato Chips 2007/06/29 19:29:54
Correction ALL Nibble with Gibble and Kay & Ray Potato Chip Lovers.....

You can purchase these brands throught the Martin's Pastry Shoppe online store (makers of the Martin Potato Roll, those can be purchased too.). Below is the link. HOORAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.martinsfamouspastryshoppe.com/store/Scripts/default.asp
yuppicide
Cheeseburger
RE: Potato Chips 2007/09/06 23:36:29
I love Gibbles. I only wish more places around here had them and the one place that does have them gets more in. I don't eat the plain variety. I think I've had BBQ and some hot one.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Potato Chips 2007/09/10 12:09:46
I am enjoying a bag of UNCLE RAY'sKosher Dill Potato Chips as I type. It is a Michigan based company that I read a bit about in one of the 'Chip Threads' here on Roadfood. I like the various flavor chips, but the KOSHER DILL is my favorite! Uncle Ray tells his family history and detailed journals of his kids etc on the back of each bag. Always full of 'positive advice' for 'bringing up' a family today.
Web Address [url]www.unclerays.com[/url]
DeliLover
Junior Burger
RE: Potato Chips 2007/09/10 12:40:13
My favorite chip is Goods blue label from PA Dutch country. Grandma Utz is also quite good. Anyone from the Berks county PA area knows there are a boatload of decent chips made by local PA companies like Zieglers, Martins, Dieffenbachs, etc. I now live in upstate NY and although there are some decent local and national brands available (I like Stewart's) I will always miss all those great chips from Berks county PA.

Will
tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Potato Chips 2007/10/09 15:50:10
I just found a new favorite flavor of potato chips: Tim's Cascade "Johnny's Seasoned". In New Mexico, you can get plain, Jalapeno, or Sea, Salt and Vinegar. Visiting Portland Oregon this past weekend, I discovered many more flavors. I picked Johnny's Seasoned, as well as two other flavors. I grew up on the east coast, so Wise BBQ is my measuring stick for great potato chip. Johnny's seasoned from Tim's surpasses Wise BBQ. In fact, I bought two additional bags for the trip back home.
ayersian
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Potato Chips 2008/03/23 17:23:02
Our indie grocer here in Stafford Springs, CT just started stocking Gibble's Potato Chips. I bought the Red Hots on the strength of the description: "We know that a purchaser of this product is among an elite group, who love the sensation of steam billowing from their nose and ears, fire forming on their lips and perhaps enjoy chug-a-lugging t[a]basco sauce or snorting horseradish (from the back of the bag)."

Let me tell you: they are HOT -- not too much and not a lingering heat, but definitely the hottest chips I've had. Here's a pic:

Anyone else Red Hot Lovers? Chris
divefl
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Potato Chips 2008/03/23 18:29:53
I like the red hot. I've only had the Golden FLake, Utz, pringles, and I think Mitchel's? Something off hot dog stand, could be Mcsomthing. ANyway. Never Gibbles, but yes hot flavor. Godne flake being the best. I haven't seen golden flake for a while. I'm no longer that far south or they may have sold themselves.
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
RE: Potato Chips 2008/03/23 18:31:43
Anybody try Beer Potato Chips? I saw them at Costco

I only like kettle chips..Lay's are very good and sometimes reasonable.

Would love to try the ones from New Orleans..
peanutluv
Junior Burger
RE: Potato Chips 2008/03/25 22:38:58
marcbla-golden sun chips, my favorite from the late 60's and early 70's

Me too. They were great I miss them in their shiny bag!
Soupman
Junior Burger
RE: Potato Chips 2008/06/06 23:38:05
Never had Gibbles, but I just ran across State Line potato chips. Haven't seen those in about 20 years; it was the only chip I knew growing up in the 50's & 60's in CT. If I remember correctly they came in 10,19, and 29 cent sizes and were made just over the line in MA.(Why doesn't my keyboard have a cent sign?) Anyone else remember these?
vwgto
Junior Burger
RE: Potato Chips 2008/06/08 13:14:11
I loved Tom's Original Great American potato chips that they produced in late 80's, possibly early 90's. Does anyone recall those chips, and is anyone producing a similar chip?
Wolftrout
Junior Burger
RE: Potato Chips 2008/06/19 16:21:59
No love for Groff's??? And only one shout out for Ray and Kay's? Dieffenbach's are still my personal fave, and my wife is a die-hard Grandma Utz BBQ fan. We moved from Lebanon PA to upstate NY to Chicago area, so when people come to visit, they know the requirements: Dieffenbach's, Grandma Utz, Tastykakes, Shuey's pretzels, Seltzer's double smoked sweet bologna, and Opera Fudge
JayR
Junior Burger
RE: Potato Chips 2008/08/02 14:02:15
quote:
Originally posted by Soupman

Never had Gibbles, but I just ran across State Line potato chips. Haven't seen those in about 20 years; it was the only chip I knew growing up in the 50's & 60's in CT. If I remember correctly they came in 10,19, and 29 cent sizes and were made just over the line in MA.(Why doesn't my keyboard have a cent sign?) Anyone else remember these?
JayR
Junior Burger
RE: Potato Chips 2008/08/02 14:06:08
Does anyone remember these chip brands from the 1970-80's?

Old Vienna (St. Louis)
Crane's (Decater, IL)
Gordons (Red Truck - Louisville, Ky)
Morton's (Texas)
Dickies (New Orleans)
Bigapetite
Hamburger
RE: Potato Chips 2008/08/02 15:06:18
For most part chips are regional. Yes of course there are national brands but looking at the regionals everyone will have a favorite.
As a result it really boils down to individual taste as for the majority of us we probably haven't had the opportunity to even taste a fraction of the different brands mentioned here. Thusly it is impossible to say this one is better than that one.
I personally stay away from all the flavored chips. I want to taste the CHIP not a whole bunch of stuff that is splattered on it to the point that I could be eating cardboard and not tell the difference.

I really wonder how much difference there is in the type of potato used vs. what they are cooked in and to what consistency.

In the past few years when many of the fast food chains used different oils in preparing their french fries the tastes were totally different and though the type of potato remains, the taste is gone.
For any of you that remember what McDonald's fries used to taste like and what they taste like now will know what I mean.
The same holds true with chips

Greyghost
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Potato Chips 2008/08/02 15:45:42
I'm with you Ayersian...bring on the Gibble's Red Hot chips every time. Wish I could get them here in River City. They are the best of the best. Nothing else even comes close.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2