Potato Chips

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 85
patti6656
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
Potato Chips - Tue, 06/22/04 10:59 AM
I recently bought (actually got them free with a coupon) of Gibbles Potato Chips. I had not had them for a very long time and was so disappointed in the taste. I could not even taste the potato, only the grease. Come to find out, Gibbles are fried in lard. Yuck! Now, if you really want a wonderful chip, try Troyer Farms! I live in NW PA and this is a regional chip although you can buy them online. These chips are absolutely wonderful and I will buy them over any other brand. They stay fresher longer and have a great taste.

angel92
  • Total Posts : 44
RE: Potato Chips - Thu, 07/8/04 8:28 PM
Gibbles chips are just too darn salty!

angel92
  • Total Posts : 44
RE: Potato Chips - Thu, 07/8/04 8:29 PM

Ort. Carlton.
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Potato Chips - Thu, 07/8/04 9:00 PM
quote:
Originally posted by angel92

Angel,
Maybe that's why you nibble with Gibbles!
Uncrunchingly, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia.

Ort. Carlton.
RE: Potato Chips - Thu, 07/8/04 9:01 PM
quote:

Angel,
Maybe that's why you STILL nibble with Gibble's!!
Still Uncrunchingly, Ort. Carlton in 30601-land.
P. S. Tee hee!

Ort. Carlton.
RE: Potato Chips - Thu, 07/8/04 9:06 PM
Dearfolk,
Of all the Pennsylvania chips I've ever tasted, my hands-down favorite is Grandma Utz's Kettle Cooked.
A friend of mine says that those are indeed excellent, but his favorite is Diefenbach's from Womelsdorf, PA. (near Reading somewhere). Those are cooked in 100% pure lard.
My favorite chips of all are Sterzing's Tri-Some from Burlington, Iowa. They also make a low-salt variety, but that is only available in their immediate territory. I guess I better go back there to have some, what say?
In this area, we can obtain Zapp's from Gramercy, Louisiana and "Dirty" Potato Chips from Memphis - both brands are consistently excellent in all flavors. Zapp's occasional special runs are often awe-inspiring - and I've learned to grab them when I see them, because they run out quickly.
Still Woefully Uncrunchingly, Ort. Carlton in Lovely 30601-Central.

BBQ Barney
  • Total Posts : 161
RE: Potato Chips - Thu, 07/8/04 9:48 PM
OC-- I agree that Sterzing's are the best--but since they are not particularly salty, haven't tried the no-salt available here in Iowa. The good news is the new, luncheon size bags of these great chips, which I pick up for frequent carry out lunches. Buying only small bags, I now don't eat too many forbidden foods! Crunching only twice weekly in Iowa-----

enginecapt
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: Potato Chips - Fri, 12/3/04 11:29 PM
My hands down favorire are the Black Pepper Potato Chips by Kettle.

carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Potato Chips - Fri, 12/3/04 11:39 PM
I've yet to meet a potato chip I did not like, but I too especially like the black pepper Kettle chips. Anything made in the reading, PA area is good as well.

enginecapt
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: Potato Chips - Sat, 12/4/04 12:10 AM
Back in 2000 I catered a large wedding party in McMinnville, OR. Amongst the guests was the owner of Kettle Chips. He liked my food so much, we commenced to talking and carrying on. The next morning a pickup pulled up filled with cases of Kettle Chips for yours truly. I've been a loyal customer ever since.

dctourist
  • Total Posts : 325
RE: Potato Chips - Tue, 12/7/04 11:27 AM
Yukon Gold black pepper chips are very good, too - they remind me of baked potatoes... Utz makes a salt and pepper chip but they taste like chemicals. I like Barbara's yogurt and green onion chips very much.

For slumming, or when I'm feeling sorry for myself, Ruffles Cheddar and Sour Cream chips hit the spot...

But really, like Carlton Pierre, it's hard for me to find a potato chip I don't like.

garykg6
  • Total Posts : 358
RE: Potato Chips - Tue, 12/7/04 11:51 AM
so many chips,so little time.....I like cape Cod chips(all flavors)but also go for Lay's chips,preferably salt and vinegar or the pickle deal......not a ruffle fan but most friends go for them.....as was said,it's hard to find a really objectionable chip(or maybe I haven't looked hard enough)

PCC
  • Total Posts : 111
RE: Potato Chips - Thu, 01/6/05 11:26 PM
I like Lay's Classic Potato Chips. Have to buy them in the individual size though, because when I start, I eat the WHOLE bag.

Route 11
  • Total Posts : 752
RE: Potato Chips - Tue, 01/11/05 3:23 PM
Utz. I used to like Gibbles but now they're just too salt and greasy.
Same goes with Cape Cods.

signman
  • Total Posts : 1743
RE: Potato Chips - Tue, 01/11/05 4:01 PM
Route 11, what do you think of Route 11 chips?

dctourist
RE: Potato Chips - Tue, 01/11/05 10:12 PM
quote:
Originally posted by enginecapt

Back in 2000 I catered a large wedding party in McMinnville, OR. Amongst the guests was the owner of Kettle Chips. He liked my food so much, we commenced to talking and carrying on. The next morning a pickup pulled up filled with cases of Kettle Chips for yours truly. I've been a loyal customer ever since.

Wow. I used to have dreams of things like that when I was a kid... I'd eat and eat and eat and then I would wake up and realize I'd had all the enjoyment without the calories!

dctourist
RE: Potato Chips - Tue, 01/11/05 10:21 PM
quote:
Originally posted by signman

Ha! A friend and I wrote were bored at work and wrote each other some haikus about Route 11 chips last fall. Let me check with him and see if he minds if I post them here...

Kimdredspirit
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Potato Chips - Sat, 01/15/05 11:34 AM
As a native Central Pennsylvanian I have always like the Middleswarth brand of chips for dipping purposes...they are very mild and complementary to most dips...But, I feel that the best chips to stand on their own are the HARTLEYS brand...they are a thicker and more full-bodied chip...but, alas, they are a local brand as well...They are so GOOD!....yummmy...:)

bumppo
RE: Potato Chips - Thu, 02/24/05 2:25 PM
A long time ago I was in central PA. and bought some potato chips that I
really liked--they were(I believe) called Styx Chips, or something like
that. Does anybody know if they are still in business and, if so, where
are they based. Thanks a lot and good munching.

CarolinaBill
  • Total Posts : 207
RE: Potato Chips - Thu, 02/24/05 3:55 PM
The absolute best are Snyder's of Berlin (NOT Hanover) in the silver bag. Just the regular ones, not kettle cooked, and not flavored with extraneous tastes. Unfortunately, their availability in my area is spotty at best.

For Southern brands, I like Golden Flake Thin N' Crispy (plain) from Birmingham.

marcbla
  • Total Posts : 139
RE: Potato Chips - Tue, 03/15/05 4:55 PM
golden sun chips, my favorite from the late 60's and early 70's

EdSails
  • Total Posts : 3591
RE: Potato Chips - Thu, 03/17/05 5:06 PM
I just had some Old Dutch Ketchup Potato Chips. Apparently they are "the thing" in Canada. For me, one bite was enough to put them on my NWIH (no way in h...) list of things to eat!

gsollenb
RE: Potato Chips - Tue, 03/22/05 3:16 PM
The best chips are made the old fashion way with lard. Gibbles and Martins Kettle Cooked are both very good. And for whoever said they could not find Gibbles anymore, check out this site (they have your Troyer Farms as well):
http://www.hometown-treats.com/ec_chips.html

hjbyun
  • Total Posts : 100
RE: Potato Chips - Wed, 03/23/05 9:51 PM
best chips for my money are Tim's Cascade Jalepeno and Charles Chip Jalepeno. Yum.

brookquarry
  • Total Posts : 277
RE: Potato Chips - Thu, 03/24/05 6:53 AM
As has been pointed out south-eastern and south central pPennsylvania is potato chip capital of the country with numerous local brands, plus the head-quarters of larger players in the eastern regional market such as Utz and Herr's. My favorites- Martins kettle cooked chips with Bickels regular a close second (Bickels have a distinctive taste- perhaps because they are 'seared for flavor'. Martins are just excellant thick deep-fried chips).
One chip I have yet to try is Diffewnbachs, appaently lard fried in small batches and only availabel in the Reading Pa area. I will have to scout some out the next time we are in the area

RubyRose
  • Total Posts : 2187
RE: Potato Chips - Thu, 03/24/05 8:21 AM
Good's red bag (there is also a blue bag variety), made in New Holland, PA. They have a very light, fresh taste. On Saturday, I was at Renninger's in Kutztown PA. The snack booth has so many varieties of potato chips and pretzels from the Reading area, including Good's, Martin's chips and hand-twisted hard pretzels and Faller's pretzel sticks, that you would think you had died and gone to chip and pretzel heaven.

halfday
  • Total Posts : 51
RE: Potato Chips - Thu, 03/24/05 9:12 AM
Goods red bag chips are the best!

cindyloo
  • Total Posts : 123
RE: Potato Chips - Thu, 03/24/05 9:22 AM
Sterzings from Burlington, IA -- yummy! Perhaps the Easter Bunny will bring a bag for me. Once I start eating them, I can't stop. My favorite are the chips that get folded over during the frying process. Double crunchy and delicious. I always eat the folded ones first. : )

Cindy

the Big Ferret
  • Total Posts : 25
RE: Potato Chips - Mon, 03/28/05 3:26 PM
Another vote for Sterzing's and Zapp's! Whem my wife visits Iowa she brings the Sterzing's Tri-Some chips.

MartinT
  • Total Posts : 30
RE: Potato Chips - Tue, 04/5/05 10:40 PM
Anyone remember Charles Chips? They used to get delivered right to your house in huge cannisters. You could also get pretzels and other items. I`m going back to the 60`s. The sight of the truck pulling up to the house was pure delight

Ort. Carlton.
RE: Potato Chips - Tue, 04/5/05 11:10 PM
quote:
Originally posted by MartinT

Anyone remember Charles Chips? They used to get delivered right to your house in huge cannisters. You could also get pretzels and other items. I`m going back to the 60`s. The sight of the truck pulling up to the house was pure delight

Martin,
That company is another Pennsylvania snack maker!
Charles Chips are still sold in this area. It seems to me that they still have delivery trucks, too. I'll have to check into that one.
I still prefer Sterzing's Tri-Some to any other chips I've ever had, with "Dirty" Potato Chips from Memphis and Zapp's Potato Chips from Louisiana right along behind.
Uncrunchingly (At The Moment), Ort. Carlton in Lovely, Sunny, Warm Athens, Georgia.

AndreaB
  • Total Posts : 1303
RE: Potato Chips - Tue, 04/12/05 9:55 AM
I remember Charles' Chips --- they'd deliver them in huge cannisters. They were quite good. My favorite, though, is vinegar and salt chips. My husband like Ruffles and that's what he usually brings home. I don't eat many chips because I cut my carbs back, but Yah vinegar and salt, barbeque, and Charles' Chips rule.

Andrea

Tristan Indiana
  • Total Posts : 328
RE: Potato Chips - Tue, 04/12/05 12:47 PM
Restoration Hardware sells Charles Chips in large tins. Never tried them though. Anybody else like Jay's Potato Chips. I use to love driving past the plant on the Dan Ryan and smelling the fresh made chips.

chocolatecandez
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Potato Chips - Wed, 04/13/05 8:38 PM
Yuck! I tried Gibbles once and it was like eating...grease or salt...

MCMAPS
RE: Potato Chips - Mon, 05/16/05 11:36 AM

Anyone remember Charles Chips? They used to get delivered right to your house in huge cannisters.
Martin,
That company is another Pennsylvania snack maker!
Charles Chips are still sold in this area. It seems to me that they still have delivery trucks, too. I'll have to check into that one.

I am an avid Sterzing fan dating an avid Charles Chip fan. He has tasted Sterzings (gobbling up the last in my one lone bag) and agree they are pretty good but says I need to taste Charles' to make up my mind. Do you have an internet address where I can order some online. We are taking a short road trip to Burlington Ia to buy Sterzings direct from the factory (if that is possible). Thank you

Lenne
Glen Ellyn, Illinois

Williamsburger
  • Total Posts : 395
RE: Potato Chips - Thu, 06/9/05 3:18 PM
Someone mentioned Kettle Chips lightly salted.
Utz now is making "gourmet" chips - kettle style with flavors.
One is lightly salted. It is my DH's amine favorite chip right now.

Other really good chips I tried recently are Terra Chips - Olive Oil and Fine Herbs. They have a real kick!
CB

tsores
  • Total Posts : 653
RE: Potato Chips - Thu, 06/9/05 3:30 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Tristan Indiana

Anybody else like Jay's Potato Chips. I use to love driving past the plant on the Dan Ryan and smelling the fresh made chips.

Jay's potato chips was a staple in my house when I was growing up. I would drive my mother crazy when I ate a whole one of the two bags in the box in one sitting. That would be for breakfast during Saturday morning cartoons.

laststandchili
  • Total Posts : 177
RE: Potato Chips - Thu, 06/9/05 3:30 PM
quote:
Originally posted by signman

I think Route 11 chips rock. I've been spending a lot of time in NVA recently and have picked up quite a few flavors of these, I've liked them all. The habanero flavored chips are actually hot, and I'm an avowed chile head.

plantdetective
  • Total Posts : 38
RE: Potato Chips - Thu, 06/9/05 4:20 PM
Terra's Sweet Potatoe chips are very good. Particularly when looking for a better crunchy, carb choice.

No one else mentioned, but I still like a can of Pringles every once in a while.

Never been to Pennsylvania, maybe next year.

smuscle
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Potato Chips - Sun, 06/26/05 5:47 PM
As a child, I remember the excitement and anticipation I would feel on the mornings that our CHARLES CHIPS driver was scheduled to deliver our fresh tin of chips (and the bellyache I would have by the afternoon from eating more of them than I should have!).

I have found Charles Chips online at The Vermont Country Store http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=9418&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=39&iSubCat=176&iProductID=9418, including the distinctive Charles Chips tin. I still eat too many of them the day that my order arrives.

Luckily, some things, like Charles Chips never change!

redtressed
  • Total Posts : 1017
RE: Potato Chips - Mon, 06/27/05 10:10 AM
To all the Potato Chips I've loved before:

Cape Cod
Rt 11
Eagle Brand Kettle Chips(now extinct)
Martin's
Grandma Utz's Handcooked Potato Chips(Lard baby, lard!)
Herr's Kettle Cooked
Lays Wavy Chips(my exception to my kettle fetish)
Mister Bee's Kettle Cooked(A West Virginia brand)

I'm pretty much a purist for a plain potato chip, but yesterday I tried Target's private collection brand Archer Farm's PArmesean Garlic Kettle Cooked, and I have to say, they were pretty damned tasty.

Bill B.
  • Total Posts : 322
RE: Potato Chips - Mon, 06/27/05 4:07 PM
quote:

You can say that again.

Oh, wait! You did!

tamandmik
  • Total Posts : 949
RE: Potato Chips - Mon, 06/27/05 4:59 PM
If you are a potato chip lover, as I am, be grateful that you do not live in the desert southwest. This area does not evoke great regional brands of potato chips, as did New Jersey, where I formally resided. The most exotic you can get here is Tim's Cascade Chips, and that was only in one store. Other than that, it's Lays and the fill in the blank store brand, in this case Albertson's or (gag) Wal Mart.

We can still make a mean flauta here though!

Bill B.
  • Total Posts : 322
RE: Potato Chips - Mon, 06/27/05 5:16 PM
I remember when Charles Chips distributed in the Kansas City area. This was in the early or middle 1960s. It was so cool to get cans of chips delivered right to your doorstep. And the chips were so good. More consistent than the Guy's & Kitty Clover chips you could buy around KC.

The chip delivery didn't last very long, though, at least not in our neighborhood.

CaryMG
  • Total Posts : 81
RE: Potato Chips - Sat, 07/2/05 4:56 PM
"Cape Cod" chips -- plain and salt & vinegar .....
The ingredients read thusly: potatos, peanut oil

There *is no discussion

CNW
  • Total Posts : 182
RE: Potato Chips - Thu, 07/21/05 2:39 AM
Bill,

We moved from the East Coast to Overland Park in 1973. We were able to get Charles Chips delivered up until 1979. I remember the driver telling my mom that they were shutting down in KC. I remember that they had a flavored chip similar to BBQ, but I can't remember the name.

sizz_leteen
  • Total Posts : 118
RE: Potato Chips - Thu, 07/21/05 8:25 AM
Ick, not a fan of potato chips anymore; I prefer Quaker's Crispy Minis (I believe they're called "Quakes" in the US). I've also recently become addicted to Jax cheese curls. Though one brand of chips I LOVE (though I never eat them anymore) is Miss Vickie's, especially the sweet chili and sour cream ones.

SoCentPA
RE: Potato Chips - Sat, 09/3/05 10:29 PM
Gibbles were always the best locally, and have always been fried in lard. But then Martins (of Potato Roll fame) bought them out. All of a sudden the whole taste changed and it was like eating nothing and getting a nasty coating of grease all over your mouth. These are not the original Gibbles Chips from my childhood.

Recently Martin's has started making chips and their Kettle Gold tastes just like the original Gibble's chip. Amazing isn't it?

I remember Charles Chips, Styx pretzels (still sold locally), Herr's Grandma Utz, and Snyders brands.

Anyone remember Thomas's Pretzels and chips?

6star
  • Total Posts : 4388
RE: Potato Chips - Sat, 09/3/05 11:27 PM
I am sure that most of you have never even heard of Kitchen Cooked potato chips, let alone ever tasted one, but they are a true Roadfood potato chip, first made in the 1930s and still manufactured in Farmington (population 2600), about 20 miles west of Peoria, IL. The chips are delivered, primarily to central Illinois stores, within 48 hours of the time the potatoes are dug out of the ground, but they will also ship anywhere from their website at: http://www.kitchencooked.net/

Fieldthistle
  • Total Posts : 1948
RE: Potato Chips - Sun, 09/4/05 3:52 AM
Hello,
6star, I've had Kitchen Cooked chips back in the late 60's and 70's, but haven't seen them lately here in Va.. And they were GREAT! Always love Martin's BB-Q chips, but lately I am partake of Snyder's Orignial Chips. Rt. 11 chips, made up the road from me in the Valley of Va. are also a treasure. What amazes me is the diversity of chips of late. At work we have have ketchup chips, dill-pickle chips, etc... most of them taste bad. And the race is over on hot chips, they all lose. Most of them are so hot that they have no flavor except for heat. A chip, to me, compliments a sandwich or burger, or is good enough to eat by itself. I do like Herr's, regular and at times there Salt and Pepper Chips. But I've found an inconsistency with their Salt and Pepper Chips, sometimes too salty or too peppery. So I'll stick with Snyder's.
Fieldthistle

Route 11
  • Total Posts : 752
RE: Potato Chips - Sun, 09/4/05 11:15 AM
Fieldthistle,

They make some good chips in Staunton. I can't remember what they're called but I always buy them at Melrose City.

Lynne

Fieldthistle
  • Total Posts : 1948
RE: Potato Chips - Sun, 09/11/05 3:39 AM
Hello all,
Has anyone tried to make their own chips. I have, but they were too greasy. That's why I stick with store bought.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle

LeftBench
  • Total Posts : 27
RE: Potato Chips - Sun, 09/11/05 10:18 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Fieldthistle

Hello all,
Has anyone tried to make their own chips. I have, but they were too greasy. That's why I stick with store bought.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle

The grease is the best part, son! Man up holmes

jchiszar
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: Potato Chips - Tue, 03/14/06 12:45 PM
Anybody remember Hillbilly BBQ chips? IIRC, they were the first ones I ever tasted and must have been like running a drug through my veins...I'm hooked on BBQ chips to this day. Sadly they went by the wayside.

As far as other tastes, I enjoy Cape Cod and just about any plain old salty chip. Of course, since Rachel's sponsored and Indianapolis 500 winner they moved to nearer the top of my list!

AndreaB
  • Total Posts : 1303
RE: Potato Chips - Mon, 04/3/06 1:02 PM
Mike-Sells old fashioned Salt & Cracked Black Pepper potato chips are very good. The hubs brought home a bag the other day and it has been devoured.

Andrea

uiowa
RE: Potato Chips - Mon, 04/3/06 1:28 PM
quote:
Originally posted by garykg6

so many chips,so little time.....I like cape Cod chips(all flavors)but also go for Lay's chips,preferably salt and vinegar or the pickle deal......not a ruffle fan but most friends go for them.....as was said,it's hard to find a really objectionable chip(or maybe I haven't looked hard enough)

Ort. Carlton.
RE: Potato Chips - Sun, 04/9/06 7:49 PM
Dearfolk,
Conversely, the worst potato chips I ever ate were Snax Bullock from Conyers, Georgia. These came out in 1962-63, and didn't last. Why? They were IMPOSSIBLY, INEDIBLY salty. (The former factory, retooled, still squats beside I-20 just west of town.)
Gordon's from Atlanta were far superior. They disappeared a few years ago.
It sure would be nice for someone to open up a microchippery in these parts. At least for now we've got Dirty, Zapp's, Golden Flake, and the occasional chip from Pennsylvania to tide us through.
Uncrunchingly, Ort. Carlton in Amazing Athens, GA.

buckeye1
  • Total Posts : 88
RE: Potato Chips - Sun, 04/9/06 9:57 PM
Add me to the list of Utz-lovers! I brought back several bags of Grandma Utz kettle chips from Philly. You just can't get chips in lard in the Cleveland area.

When I lived in Canton, there was a small company called Gold'n Crisp in Massillon that still made kettle chips cooked in lard, but they are only distributed in Canton-Massillon, maybe Akron.

Our local chip company is Thomasson's, in Elyria, OH since the 1930's. My dad used to talk about how great those chips were when you could get them hot at the store. Now they're owned by Jones Chips of Mansfield, but still use the original recipes and factory in Elyria. www.joneschips.com/thomassonshistory.htm

Giant Eagle is now carrying Helmar Chips - they've got pictures of Babe Ruth and Shoeless Joe Jackson on the bag, and have baseball player cards inside.

jrsensenig
RE: Potato Chips - Wed, 04/19/06 11:31 PM
As a former Reading, Pennsylvania resident, my whole family grew up on Good's Potato Chips. Half of us ate the Home Style brand in the red & white bag, and half the family swore by the Original brand in the blue & white bag. Recently, the two companies (they were distant relatives) merged into one company and now both the red bag Good's AND the blue bag Good's are available in just about any store you walk into in the Reading & Lancaster areas. I just checked out their web site and luckily we can now get both kinds shipped to our home in Iowa. Can't beat Good's !!!!

curried bluebonnet
  • Total Posts : 108
RE: Potato Chips - Wed, 04/19/06 11:49 PM
Zapps and Terra Chips are good--hubby likes all those mouth burning types, I like more flavor, the young 'ns like Pringles ( which, old broad that I am I remember when they first came out), still like them for nostalgia and some of the wacky limited edition flavors--got thai sweet chili pringles at Walmartand they were pretty good--not thai tasting at all though. Pringles remind me of trout fishing at Bennet Springs State Park in Lebanon, MO back in the dating years, I had to eat something to keep up with all the refreshing Anheuser-Busch beverages being thrown my way-- But let's face it, chips rock anyway youlook at it. My Mil sends some down from STL--are they Charles Chips, or Guys? We like em all.

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 85