Pancakes

jimtewell
  • Total Posts : 15
  • Reward points : 0
Pancakes - Wed, 07/7/04 2:03 PM
How about pancakes? I don't know if this has been discussed in the past, but it seems pancakes are really a hit and miss breakfast item. I would like to have your votes for your favorite pancakes - ones that are consistantly good everytime you have them.

Jennifer_4
  • Total Posts : 1508
RE: Pancakes - Wed, 07/7/04 2:07 PM
From a restaurant, IHOP's Country Griddle Cakes, at home I love corn cakes. IHOP used to make a pancake called "Portuguese Pancake".. a plate wide monster filled with linguica... I was real sorry to see that disappear. Blueberry pancakes are a favorite as well.

anselmo1
  • Total Posts : 126
RE: Pancakes - Thu, 07/15/04 6:03 AM
When it comes to pancakes, the Original Pancake House has the best selection around.

http://www.originalpancakehouse.com/

dweller
  • Total Posts : 70
RE: Pancakes - Thu, 07/15/04 5:04 PM
I love Original Pancake House Sourdough pancakes -- so much that I haven't tried any of their other ones. What have I missed?

Do I remember correctly that they also do good bacon? Orange juice?

Doug

Tristan Indiana
  • Total Posts : 328
RE: Pancakes - Fri, 07/16/04 11:30 AM
I like the Original Pancake House better than other pancake chains because they have fresh squeesed orange juice and the quality of their food seems to be higher. My favorite place for breakfast will always be Fat Apples in El Cerrito - love the apple maple sausages.

Spudnut
  • Total Posts : 655
RE: Pancakes - Fri, 07/16/04 12:00 PM
The menu for the Original Pancake House looks great...but I'm a little distressed not to see chocolate chip pancakes, which have always been my favorite. I don't eat pancakes often, and eat chocolate chip pancakes even less, but I like to know they're available, just in case. For whatever reason, they don't seem to be plentiful where I live in NYC (although I do know where to get them in a pinch.)

efuery
  • Total Posts : 630
RE: Pancakes - Fri, 07/16/04 2:22 PM
Polly's Pancake Parlor in NH is the best

Tristan Indiana
  • Total Posts : 328
RE: Pancakes - Sat, 07/17/04 2:43 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Spudnut

The menu for the Original Pancake House looks great...but I'm a little distressed not to see chocolate chip pancakes, which have always been my favorite. I don't eat pancakes often, and eat chocolate chip pancakes even less, but I like to know they're available, just in case. For whatever reason, they don't seem to be plentiful where I live in NYC (although I do know where to get them in a pinch.)

The OPHs in Indianapolis have chocolate chip pancakes on the menu, as well as chocolate chip waffles. My favorite is the blueberry waffle with blueberries inside, fresh blueberries on top, and blueberry compote to pour over it. It definitely will satisfy any blueberry cravings.

sunnyside up
  • Total Posts : 126
RE: Pancakes - Sat, 05/14/05 12:25 PM
Perkins Pancakes are the lightest and fluffiest around as far as I am concerned. Now, if they would just offer warmed real maple syrup.........

carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Pancakes - Sat, 05/14/05 2:00 PM
I've noticed Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, even VA Beach with lots of pancake places. Do people on vacation crave pancakes?

zataar
  • Total Posts : 1440
RE: Pancakes - Sat, 05/14/05 7:21 PM
There is a small place at the city market in KC called simply The City Diner. They have really good pancakes. If you can finish one order you are allowed to sign their "Wall of Shame" indicating that you were super human enough to eat this honkin' plate o' cakes.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17805
RE: Pancakes - Sat, 05/14/05 8:42 PM
My buckwheat flapjacks are consistently good every time I have them.

sizz_leteen
  • Total Posts : 118
RE: Pancakes - Sat, 05/14/05 9:31 PM
I personally love my mother's banana pancakes with some Knott's strawberry syrup.
But Denny's pancakes are my favourite restaurant pancakes.

SouthHillbilly
  • Total Posts : 295
RE: Pancakes - Sat, 05/14/05 9:47 PM
My basic batter is Bisquik. . . the recipe on the back of the box. If I want them real puffy I go light on the milk. . . if I want them flat I mix them thin. You can mash up a banana and sprinkle some walnuts for banana-nut pan cakes or do whatever else you want with fruits and other eidble items. . . chocolate chips in pan cakes?

Someone also mentioned corn cakes. . . I'd like to get that recipe.

mountain traveler
  • Total Posts : 130
RE: Pancakes - Sun, 05/15/05 1:36 AM
quote:
Originally posted by carlton pierre

I've noticed Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, even VA Beach with lots of pancake places. Do people on vacation crave pancakes?

I was told that Pancake Pantry in Gatlinburg has awesome pancakes. I remember eating at a restaurant in Abingdon Virginia a few years back called the Bonfire. They had really good buttermilk pancakes. They closed that location about five or six years ago. Figures! I just got back from Townsend Tennessee(my annual spring trip there). There is a place called The Back Porch which has yummy pancakes and all kinds of good food.

dweller
RE: Pancakes - Sun, 05/15/05 11:25 AM
quote:
Originally posted by SouthHillbilly

My basic batter is Bisquik. . . the recipe on the back of the box. If I want them real puffy I go light on the milk. . . if I want them flat I mix them thin. You can mash up a banana and sprinkle some walnuts for banana-nut pan cakes or do whatever else you want with fruits and other eidble items. . . chocolate chips in pan cakes?

Try using 7-Up as the liquid with Bisquick.
Doug

dweller
RE: Pancakes - Sun, 05/15/05 2:52 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Can we have the recipe?
Thanks
Doug

cyrano
  • Total Posts : 120
RE: Pancakes - Sun, 05/15/05 11:09 PM
All-time favorite pancakes-- Magnolia Cafe, Austin (TX, of course), gingerbread pancakes. I love ginger anyway, and they slip in a little extra to give it some bite, a nice counterpoint to the butter and syrup. They inherited the recipe from a former restaurant whose name escapes me. It's not hard to google the recipe, but it's too complicated for a simple amateur cook like me to duiplicate, so I just make sure to stop there when I'm back within 200 miles of Austin.

HughYeman
  • Total Posts : 84
RE: Pancakes - Tue, 05/31/05 11:57 AM
quote:
Originally posted by cyrano

All-time favorite pancakes-- Magnolia Cafe, Austin (TX, of course), gingerbread pancakes.

I tried that recipe over the weekend while my mate's parents were visiting, and the pancakes were a huge hit all around. They were incredibly rich and filling; a bit dry, perhaps, but the homemade whipped-cream I made helped with that!

Here's the website, by the way.

http://www.austinfolkhouse.com/breakfast.php

-Hugh

elswinger
  • Total Posts : 57
RE: Pancakes - Tue, 05/31/05 1:22 PM
I like my pancakes on a shade darker than a lot of places serve them and I particularly miss IHOP's Silve Dollar Pancakes.

aleswench
  • Total Posts : 686
RE: Pancakes - Tue, 05/31/05 1:27 PM
quote:
Originally posted by dweller

quote:
Originally posted by SouthHillbilly

Try using 7-Up as the liquid with Bisquick.
Doug

I use plain seltzer with the Buttermilk Complete mixes - light & fluffy and delish...

tsores
  • Total Posts : 653
RE: Pancakes - Tue, 05/31/05 2:12 PM
I just had pancakes at Lou Mitchell in Chicago. They were delicious.

Willly
  • Total Posts : 396
RE: Pancakes - Tue, 05/31/05 2:51 PM
Rather than just light and fluffy, I actually like my pancakes to have a little pull to them. I've tried stirring the batter more to develop a bit of gluten, but it doesn't come out the same. The Original Pancake House's yeast pancakes have the texture, but I've also had some soda/powder based pancakes with the same texture as well. On a recent roadtrip, I'm embarrassed to say we stopped at a Denney's off the Jersey Turnpike for breakfast -- surprisingly,the pancakes there had the texture I was looking for. However (and not surpisingly), NOTHING else passed muster.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17805
RE: Pancakes - Tue, 05/31/05 3:47 PM
quote:
Originally posted by dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Can we have the recipe?
Thanks
Doug

It's on the back of the buckwheat mix, and I'm out of it right now.

michaelgemmell
  • Total Posts : 673
RE: Pancakes - Wed, 06/1/05 7:05 PM
The "Joy of Cooking" has a recipe for buttermilk pancakes that calls for all cake flour, and that's "my" recipe that gets compliments. The recipe calls for 1 c. of buttermilk, but I add between 1 1/3 to 1 1/2 cups of buttermilk. Crucial tip for all pancake batters: Stir only until large lumps disappear so as not to activate the gluten. Willy, give Michael's buckwheat pancakes a try. That might be exactly what you seek.

There's a place here in San Francisco that is such a total Roadfood type of place called Orphan Andy's on 17th Street at the intersection of Market and Castro, which is nearly always open. Great pancakes (try the "Big 2" breakfast) and wonderful burgers, plus the best people-watching in the Castro.

Joisey
  • Total Posts : 150
RE: Pancakes - Wed, 07/27/05 3:06 PM
I used to love Howard Johnson's pancakes. So big they would take up the entire plate. I also liked their blueberry Toastees.

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13386
RE: Pancakes - Wed, 07/27/05 4:03 PM
I visited a place in a nearby East Tennessee town that served deep fried pancakes. It added a different dimension to the taste. You could get them plain, with onions, with veggies, with chocolate, with cheese, with bacon or sausage or whatever. I got one plain and I got one with onions and peppers.

Both were great. I had one with real maple syrup and the other with cream cheese.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

emsmom
  • Total Posts : 955
RE: Pancakes - Wed, 07/27/05 4:11 PM
We have a local place called " The Pancake House" and they have the best that I have eaten. They keep a big tureen of warm syrup and bring you a little ceramic pitcher full of the syrup with their pancakes and will gladly refill it. They have all kinds to choose from including buckwheat. Makes me want pancakes, but they close at 2:00 each day!

Pitts
  • Total Posts : 78
RE: Pancakes - Wed, 07/27/05 4:31 PM
I know this will ruffle feathers but Denny's in Centralia, Washington has their Meat Lovers breakfast on sale for $5 including the best pancakes I've ever eaten.

Sundancer7
RE: Pancakes - Wed, 07/27/05 4:39 PM
Pitts, why would it ruffle feathers?

Sounds good to me but I am in East TN and it a fur place was where you are describing.

Pancakes are always great aytime of the day.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

tiki
  • Total Posts : 4135
RE: Pancakes - Wed, 07/27/05 6:37 PM
Aunt Martha's Pancake House in Springfield Missouri!!! KILLER breakfast---and there really is an Aunt Martha--she's right there at the cash register daily---Bushie turned me on this place and im VERY glad he did---fabulous pancakes in many varieties--i am foun of the southern corn meal pancakes with country ham---its a breakfast to die for! I HIGHLY ecommend it to anyone going through Springfield. The buttermilk cakes are good too!!

HotDogHead
  • Total Posts : 665
RE: Pancakes - Wed, 07/27/05 7:10 PM
When I was growing up in Canada, we put butter on the hot pancake followed by a sprinkling of white sugar and then a squirt or two of fresh lemon juice. It made kind of a glaze. It was yummy!

KBminihorse
  • Total Posts : 27
RE: Pancakes - Wed, 07/27/05 7:54 PM
I like IHOP's silver dollar pancakes. They are a little thinner than most regular pancakes. Don't like those big fat ones that tend to be undercooked inside. Also, IHOP serves real butter on their pancakes instead of hydrogenated, one chemical step removed from plastic, margarine. yucck, won't touch food with that poison on it.

RC51Mike
  • Total Posts : 443
RE: Pancakes - Thu, 07/28/05 8:07 AM
I had buckwheat pancakes at a little hotel in Casselman, MD that were great. I like my pancakes a little crispier at the edges and with more "pull" rather than light and fluffy. I had memorable ones at a diner in Albany years ago, maybe off Central Ave? Nowadays, I don't eat pancakes out unless they have real maple syrup, so that usually means New England.

Pigiron
  • Total Posts : 1384
RE: Pancakes - Thu, 07/28/05 8:17 AM
I see pancakes thusly: They always sound great on a menu, but halfway through my meal I wonder, "why am I eating these belly bombers when I could be having sausage and eggs?"

hawkeyejohn
  • Total Posts : 257
RE: Pancakes - Thu, 07/28/05 9:39 AM
More of a waffle guy myself, especially bacon waffles.

sizz_leteen
  • Total Posts : 118
RE: Pancakes - Thu, 07/28/05 2:00 PM
As far as restaurant pancakes go, I love Denny's and IHOP.
But my favourites are most definitely my mother's banana pancakes with sliced strawberries, and drizzled with Knott's strawberry syrup.

mr chips
  • Total Posts : 4715
RE: Pancakes - Thu, 07/28/05 2:18 PM
Portland has a place called the Cameo Cafe with its beloved Acre pancakes which are plate sized monsters that I have rarely been able to finish. We are also the home of the first Original Pancake House restaurant which remains my favorite pancake place anywhere.

Sundancer7
RE: Pancakes - Thu, 07/28/05 4:19 PM
I ate at a German restaurant in the Amana Colonies in East Amana, Iowa. Their breakfast was huge and included huge thin pancakes. They were about the thickness of a silver dollar and the size of a huge plate.

They brought breakfast to you by the bowl fulls. They charged for it but it was worth it.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

ConeyIslandLou
  • Total Posts : 737
RE: Pancakes - Thu, 07/28/05 10:16 PM
As far as the chains go, Perkins beats the pants off BOTH Denny's and IHOP...if you're lucky enough to live near one,that is. They had closed the one here in town a few years back..with the resulting empty building being turned into an IHOP (our Denny's is a former Sambos!). Now they just opened another Perkins..in what used to be a Hojo's...confusing..isnt it?!?

santacruz
  • Total Posts : 372
RE: Pancakes - Fri, 07/29/05 3:20 PM
Love good buttermilk pancakes. To top them off warm up some pure Maple syrup and mix in a good amount of butter. Pour over the Hot Pancakes serve with a side of apple smoked bacon or ham that makes it for me.

Also same as above but with home made French toast.

Rt66Mike
  • Total Posts : 155
RE: Pancakes - Wed, 08/3/05 9:42 PM
I still miss Sambos' Pancakes, but among operating resturants, Denny's is pretty good, as are Steak 'n Shake's.

kareninflorida
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Pancakes - Thu, 11/8/07 10:06 PM
The absolute best pancakes I've ever tasted were served at the Williamstown Inn in Williamstown, MA. It's been over fifteen years since I had them, but I still remember that breakfast to be the best I'd ever had when it comes to pancakes.

Now, coming in at a close second has to be the banana pancakes with coconut syrup found at Chace's Pancake Corral in Bellevue, WA. YUMMO! Frankly, everything on their menu is phenomenal, which explains why there is always a line out the front door on the weekends.

But as far as breakfasts in general are concerned, I think that the multicourse Country Breakfast at Salish Lodge and Spa in Snoqualmie, Washington takes the (hot) cake. The four-course, two-hour fine dining extravaganza is made all the more memorable by a breathtaking view of the majestic Snoqualmie Falls from the elegant and rustic dining room. Plus, the meal does end with buttermilk pancakes. I highly recommend it!