Seafood Chowder

Double Chili Cheeseburger
2004/07/11 10:41:07
I like a good seafood chowder,but sometimes its hit or miss,I really go for the ones with a nice broth compared to the cream based ones.Anyone have a favorite they would share with us?
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
RE: Seafood Chowder 2004/07/11 11:49:10
Having spent the ages from 5-14 living in a house 4 blocks from the Atlantic Ocean we learned to fish, to clean fish, to cook fish, and to love every mouthful of it. My personal favorite is bluefish which shows up about the middle of August on Long Island and filled our plates almost every night for a month or so. But for the other 11 months we caught what we could and Mother cooked it. I loved her fish chowder,

Made from the catch of the day ( not bluefish though ) ----

She would cook the trimmings in a big pot of water for about 30 minutes,
then strain it and return the water to the pot. She would add the boned and skinned fish------flounder/haddock/or any lean fish we caught. Cooked it for 10 or 15 minutes, no longer.

In the meantime I would be peeling and slicing about a pound of potatoes which were put into a quart or more of milk (depended on the amount of fish we had caught)---Simmered for about 15 minutes.

While the spuds were simmering away she would cook a diced up piece of salt pork in a big iron skillet until the fat was rendered out, to the fat she added an onion or two (depending) and cooked til done but not browned. Then she added crumpled crackers until all the fat was soaked up by them.

When they were all done and still warm she would slowly stir the fish (not the water, that was used for other things, or if needed to thin out the soup to make an extra plateful) into the potatoes and then add the salt pork mixture. Heat it all up for a few minutes and --bon appetite.

Mom had been taught to cook when she came to America in the homes of millionaires (when a million was a million) and her recipes were either in her head or scribbled in pencil hardly legible. Every measurement was "a pinch of something" and "about this much of something else". There were no definite amounts of anything, but the food was great.
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
RE: Seafood Chowder 2004/07/13 13:09:22
The fact that you want a chowder or soup with no milk or cream got me thinking and suddenly I remembered something. Back in the 70's I had a Norwegian partner in the construction business. They had a great fish soup at the Sons Of Norway Lodge. So I looked up this recipe for you----maybe you will like it.
Bergen Fish Soup www.recipesource.com/ethnic/europe/norwegian

carlton pierre
RE: Seafood Chowder 2004/10/17 23:34:07
The Lobster Bisque @ The Saxonburg Inn in Saxonburg, just north of Pittsburgh. The best, mmmm.

carl reitz
jerseygirl127
Cheeseburger
RE: Seafood Chowder 2004/10/23 23:50:18
shaws stew at shaws in chicago.. got a little bit of everything in it... totally good.. no-- scratch that-- it's TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!! :)
JAHelgy
Hamburger
RE: Seafood Chowder 2005/03/01 15:26:45
jelly-- have you ever tried a 'gumbo' based soup???????? some of the classics never die :-)
jellybear
RE: Seafood Chowder 2005/03/03 14:49:18
Oh yeah!I love DE Gumbo!