(Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Junior Burger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/08/29 14:53:10
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

quote:
Originally posted by carlton pierre

While you're there, you might want to check out Richards. Another mile beyond Chesters, on Rt 4 on the left. Excellent steak sandwiches, and pizzas. I always get a steak sandwich. Their specialty.
I finally got up to Richard's for a steak sandwich yesterday, and I concur with you wholeheartedly. Great recommendation. Huge and tasty, loaded with onions, wonderful. The roll was toasted, has a nice crusty bite to it with soft innards. The garlic butter added a certain something, very nice.

I tried a small pizza as well, found it to be passable, nothing nearly as good as the steak sandwich.

Going to have to get me another Richard's fix soon, thanks for addicting me! :-)

quote:
Originally posted by carlton pierre

Richards steak sandwich is what I grew up thinking was a steak sandwich. A ground meat patty, rather elongated, covered in pizza sauce, or something akin to it, and cheese with mushrooms on a hoagie style bun.
Mushrooms and cheese are (as the menu says) both extra. I tried it with cheese but no mushrooms. If you order the standard sandwich, the sauce is a steak sauce, but you can specifcy pizza sauce. The sauce on the small pizza I also tried was fairly unremarkable, so I'd always go with the steak sauce on this sandwich.

Lord, I've never seen so much sliced onion on a sandwich :-)

Well, if we're talking steak hoagies, you have to try Parker's Pizza in Georgetown, Ohio. Of course, you may not have a reason to be that far in the sticks (28 miles outside 275 loop on 125 (beechmont avenue). It's a haul. But it's a nice little town for growing up, and that's what I did. My mom and brother still live there, though I now live in NKY near the airport. Whenever I go home to visit, I get a stromboli (their name for a steak hoagie). Sometimes I get fried mushrooms or fries to go with them. Or we order a pee-wee deluxe pizza - perfect 6" size. I never truly appreciated the heaven that is a steak hoagie until I moved and realized that nobody else on the planet knows how to make one. The one at Pasquale's in Erlanger is respectable, but it's not Parker's. Also, the one from Spinner's in Burlington is pretty decent. Still not Parker's. There is no substitute. If you're ever out there, give it a try. Next time I go, I'm going to take pictures and do a real review on this site. I would love for other food lovers to discover the beauty of the humble steak hoagie.
flyingfoodie
Junior Burger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/08/29 15:17:59
quote:

Hmm, how odd

man, I used to LOVE Godfather's! My dad would always bring one home on Friday nights when we were kids. We lived in Georgetown, OH, and he would pick up a pizza from the Cherry Grove location on his way home from work (he worked at the post office downtown). This is about a 40 minute drive, and that pizza was STILL good. I wish I could find one in my travels.... I have the luxury of trying lots of good food because of my job, and whenever I come across a beloved food, it takes me home. Of course, there is alot to be said for trying new places and new foods too!
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/08/30 02:40:06
quote:
Originally posted by flyingfoodie

quote:

Hmm, how odd

man, I used to LOVE Godfather's! My dad would always bring one home on Friday nights when we were kids. We lived in Georgetown, OH, and he would pick up a pizza from the Cherry Grove location on his way home from work (he worked at the post office downtown). This is about a 40 minute drive, and that pizza was STILL good. I wish I could find one in my travels.... I have the luxury of trying lots of good food because of my job, and whenever I come across a beloved food, it takes me home. Of course, there is alot to be said for trying new places and new foods too!

Godfather's pizza always tasted best to me when the ingredients had been given time to mix properly and meld together. My delivery customers said the same thing to me on many occasions. The Combo and Humble Pie were the pizzas that they most often mentioned when expressing this opinion.
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/08/30 02:42:49
quote:
Originally posted by flyingfoodie

Well, if we're talking steak hoagies, you have to try Parker's Pizza in Georgetown, Ohio. Of course, you may not have a reason to be that far in the sticks (28 miles outside 275 loop on 125 (beechmont avenue). It's a haul. But it's a nice little town for growing up, and that's what I did. My mom and brother still live there, though I now live in NKY near the airport. Whenever I go home to visit, I get a stromboli (their name for a steak hoagie). Sometimes I get fried mushrooms or fries to go with them. Or we order a pee-wee deluxe pizza - perfect 6" size. I never truly appreciated the heaven that is a steak hoagie until I moved and realized that nobody else on the planet knows how to make one. The one at Pasquale's in Erlanger is respectable, but it's not Parker's. Also, the one from Spinner's in Burlington is pretty decent. Still not Parker's. There is no substitute. If you're ever out there, give it a try. Next time I go, I'm going to take pictures and do a real review on this site. I would love for other food lovers to discover the beauty of the humble steak hoagie.

Okay, you talked me into it. Weather permitting, I'll give Parker's a try tonight. The wife and kids are "otherwise engaged" so I'm on my own for dinner. I also like the drive out that way.
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/08/30 02:44:10
quote:
Originally posted by vwman80

Anyone eat at Pizza Plus in Silver Grove?

No. What am I missing? I'm down that way a lot, but for some reason I've never given it a try.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/09/23 14:38:52
hey there macs!!!
quote:
Originally posted by macs

as we are looking more in clifton and there really are no good burgers there we are seriously considering haveing the pizza (still very good in my opinion...including a variation of the old standby zinover) and adding a version of the "build-a-burger" with unlimited toppings for one price.
rather
burger $3.25
burger plus 1 3.75
burger plus 2 4.25
unlimited 4.75

see you soon, around july 1 at this rate

do you have a projected opening day yet? we're all looking forward to it!
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/09/23 14:40:59
I just tried the pizza at Harry's on Main just a bit north of downtown Cincinnati

Excellent pizza

Scroll down the page a bit after clicking this link to see my comments and pics
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6637&whichpage=5
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/10/10 08:37:13
Turns out there is a Marathon gas station just about a mile west of downtown Cincinnati, and inside they have a little food stand that cranks out Noble Roman's pizza and Broasted chicken.

Very limited hours, it seems - pretty much lunch only near as I can tell.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/10/10 23:03:18
Kinda been on a pizza jag lately.....

Tonight, I had a couple 7" indivdual pies - one cheese, one italian sausage - at Isadore's pizza, which is just across the street from the nigh-legendary Camp Washington Chili. I had never been in there before.

Pies were decent, and the place seems very roadfood-y in appearance, and definitely family-run. Prices were reasonable. I'll have to stop in again for a second try.
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/10/10 23:07:17
quote:

Kinda been on a pizza jag lately.....

Tonight, I had a couple 7" indivdual pies - one cheese, one italian sausage - at Isadore's pizza, which is just across the street from the nigh-legendary Camp Washington Chili. I had never been in there before.

Pies were decent, and the place seems very roadfood-y in appearance, and definitely family-run. Prices were reasonable. I'll have to stop in again for a second try.

I remember this place. One of my friends would meet his wife for lunch there when she worked down on Spring Grove years ago. He always recommended it highly, but the timing was never there for me. I'll have to adjust my timing and give it a shot.
jmckee
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/10/13 08:55:00
Hey, my family and I went to Portobello's with another family after Mass at St. Veronica's last Saturday. I have to say I was favorably impressed.

I had the portobello mushroom hoagie, which was superb. The saratoga chips were perfectly done -- light and crisp, not cardboardie and oily like at the Montgomery Inn. My wife had the multiple-meat Italian Sub. Our son and the other Dad had the pizza; the Dad's veggie pizza looked particularly good to me. A pitcher of beer was huge and ice-cold.

It's certainly not the best restaurant of its ilk I've ever been to; that would probably be Geno's East in Chicago. But it was a cut above a lot of other places in Cincinnati. I really like it a lot.

Bottom line: We'll be back.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/10/13 09:00:00
Have you been to the newly built Mios at the corner of Clough and 8 mile?
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/10/13 15:36:11
quote:

We have. It was awful. I'll stick to the Mt. Washington location. It's not as pretty, but at least the food was edible. That was almost the end of Mio's for us, because we had the same experience at the Ft. Thomas store years earlier, but we gave it another try. It might have just been a bad night for them on Clough, but it's what I'll forever associate with them.
jmckee
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/10/17 12:58:41
quote:
Originally posted by Wallyum

quote:

We have. It was awful. I'll stick to the Mt. Washington location. It's not as pretty, but at least the food was edible. That was almost the end of Mio's for us, because we had the same experience at the Ft. Thomas store years earlier, but we gave it another try. It might have just been a bad night for them on Clough, but it's what I'll forever associate with them.

Wow. We've thought about going there. Thanks for the tip.

Maybe "quality control" isn't a going concern at Mio's. When Gary Burbank's barbecue places were all over, I always thought the original Sharonville location was the only place that was reliably good.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/11/11 09:16:51
Fairly new "New York style pizza" joint opened in northern Cincinnati, specifically Sharonville

Roc-A-Fella's
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051110/ENT01/511110306/1026
Alco251
Hamburger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/11/11 12:02:11
quote:

quote:

That's funny, I had the same experience at the Florence location as well. Maybe it's something that doesn't transfer well without proper oversight. Something like the franchised Izzys a few years back.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/11/11 12:18:37
Odd.

I have neve ever had anything but a good to excellent experience at the Mios in Mt Washington, and can say the same for the two visits we've made to the Mio's in Milford near the new Cinemas
dcorn
Junior Burger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/11/13 22:47:47
In Hamilton there is a place called Millilos. A little carry out joint that has the best pizza I have every had. I live in Fort Wayne, IN and every chance I get I'm chowing down on Millilos pizza. Anybody else tried it??
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/11/13 23:41:18
Any chance this is located on Nilles in Fairfield?
wesleyman
Hamburger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/11/14 12:39:08
quote:
Originally posted by wesleyman

quote:

double woo and welcome, wesleyman!

I too live in Mt Washington, in the Deliquia subdivision.

Nothing scary about Pizzaville except how does he manage to stay in business? Tell Len (the owner and sole employee) Tom Jackson sent you :-)

Thanks for the welcome. I too live in the deliquia subdivision! Small world. I'll check out Pizzaville as soon as I can convince my wife.

Finally tried Pizzaville. Had a hoagie, wife had a calzone. Impressed with the taste and the price. spoke with the owner for about 20 minutes while he made our stuff. Interesting guy. talked about pizza, advertising and the history of Apple Computer. Will go back soon to try a pie.
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/11/15 02:02:49
quote:

quote:

quote:

double woo and welcome, wesleyman!

I too live in Mt Washington, in the Deliquia subdivision.

Nothing scary about Pizzaville except how does he manage to stay in business? Tell Len (the owner and sole employee) Tom Jackson sent you :-)

Thanks for the welcome. I too live in the deliquia subdivision! Small world. I'll check out Pizzaville as soon as I can convince my wife.

Finally tried Pizzaville. Had a hoagie, wife had a calzone. Impressed with the taste and the price. spoke with the owner for about 20 minutes while he made our stuff. Interesting guy. talked about pizza, advertising and the history of Apple Computer. Will go back soon to try a pie.

I need to get back to try the calzone and to see if the pizza I had previously was the result of a misguided sauce experiment. My wife also loves calzones, and the kids are pizza fiends, so it shouldn't be too hard to arrange a return visit.
johnmu2005
Junior Burger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/11/16 18:44:58
Just my personal opinion, but living in Cincinnati myself, I think the best pizza around is Marion's (6 or 7 locations in the Dayton area...closest one is at the Dayton Mall exit off I-75). There is only one style of pizza, thin crust cut into little squares. Lots of toppings, and particularly good sausage. They are known to be a little overpriced, service is sometimes subpar, and it is usually rather noisy, with lots of kids running around...but the pizzas are absoultely AMAZING.

By the way, Marion's is an all cash operation--another example of how the place could be much more well run. BUT, if you are looking for an outstanding pizza, look no further.

On another note, to comment on the burger discussion, I think Quatman's in Norwood has the best in town, hands down. But there are a lot of good burger places around!
carlton pierre
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/11/17 09:17:21
quote:
Originally posted by dcorn

In Hamilton there is a place called Millilos. A little carry out joint that has the best pizza I have every had. I live in Fort Wayne, IN and every chance I get I'm chowing down on Millilos pizza. Anybody else tried it??

TJ,

I believe, unless they've opened a new location, Milillo's is on the west side of Hamilton. I could take you there but can't remember the street names anymore. Cross the High St bridge, beyond Tom's Cigar Store (most amazing "hardware" kind of store" and then out towards Hamilton High school. They only had the one location when I lived there.
dcorn
Junior Burger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/11/20 22:02:13
millilios is in Hamilton; from Cincy take SR 4 north, i dont know the name of the street but there is a walgreens on the corner and you take a left on go thru downtown hamilton. It is on the right side of street, just a little carry out place. If you go they have a can of soda called "Ale-8". You gotta try it also.
Cheeseburger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/11/21 00:30:32
quote:
Originally posted by carlton pierre[brI believe, unless they've opened a new location, Milillo's is on the west side of Hamilton. I could take you there but can't remember the street names anymore. Cross the High St bridge, beyond Tom's Cigar Store (most amazing 'hardware' kind of store' and then out towards Hamilton High school. They only had the one location when I lived there.

As a former resident of Hamilton who has had Milillo's pizza, I can tell you where it is.

Heading west (and north) from downtown, it is at 1010 Main Street (OH 177) near the railroad tracks where Haldimand Avenue goes right (northeast) and McKinley Avenue goes left (southwest). Keep straight on this road; the intersection with Eaton Avenue and Millville Avenue/OH 129 is tricky. Get ready once you pass the Citgo station outside the strip mall--look right. If you see a Marathon gas station on your left heading west, you've gone too far.

Oh, and Hamilton High School is not on this road; HHS is on Eaton Avenue.

Check out this map from Yahoo!: http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps2.py?Pyt=Typ&name=Milillo%27s+Pizza&desc=(513)+893-8956&csz=Hamilton+OH+45013&country=us&cs=9&ed=wVWV.a160SwIfa5lRqgMhdelzkM.XP5QUVK05lv6xPJgCUdlyRJDx4DOWfhylAY-
(you'll probably have to do some cutting and pasting--sorry)
mlawless
Junior Burger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/11/30 17:54:58
quote:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by hatteras04

I grew up on this back in Indiana eating at the now closed Noble Romans chain. And I was surprised to find out after moving away from there that this is not a common dipping sauce for breadsticks. Most places just have marinara or maybe garlic butter.

quote:

The Noble Roman's chain is no more? Bummer. That was one of the high points of any trip through Indiana for me. They never went over in Cincinnati (and cost us our Godfather's franchise,) but the difference between the Cincy/NKY Noble Roman's and the Indiana stores was like night and day.

Are you two absolutely certain Noble Roman's is out of business?

I look at http://www.nobleromans.com/premier/premier_main.htm and http://www.nobleromans.com/ and it would seem that they think they are still in business, particularly with press releases like this one: http://www.columbusconventions.com/pr_nobles04.htm

I am all but certain they are gone from Cincinnati (they don't have a locator/locations link on the website) but I am not sure the whole chain is gone.

No, I just took what Hatteras said at face value. I haven't seen one in Indiana in quite a while, but I haven't really been looking either. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Noble Roman's is alive and well! There are two locations in Cincinnati and 33 locations in Ohio. There are many, many more in Indiana and throughout the rest of the US.
Clark Casey
Junior Burger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/12/01 17:03:09
quote:

Fairly new "New York style pizza" joint opened in northern Cincinnati, specifically Sharonville

Roc-A-Fella's
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051110/ENT01/511110306/1026

Greetings pizza-enthusiasts! Just tried Roc-A-Fella's in Sharonville and I must say that they make darn-near-authentic NY-style pie.

I got the 2-slices and a coke combo which ran 5.99...a little over-priced if you ask me...I am used to getting the same combo in Boston for 3.10!

I was impressed with the dough but in retrospect, I should have had them cook the slices a little longer to brown the center. It also was a tad thick for NY pizza.

I expect to eat there more and more in the next months (I live in Blue Ash), So I will report back on the steak subs that I have yet to try.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/12/01 17:33:17
Welcome to the forums, fellow Cincinnatian :-)
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/12/06 22:28:16
It's been a while since we heard from[url='http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=24150']macs[/url]......

If you read this entire thread, you'll note that back in February of 2005, he posted
quote:

for the pizza entusiasts here in cincinnati keep an eye out for a place called macs. will be in clifton in few months.

nothing like anything currently available in cincy.

Over the next few months, he offered up some fairly frequent commentary on Pizza in Cincinnati, including tidbits about when and where he'd be opening. His last comment was in late April, indicating he'd probably be opening his pizzeria in late July....

July came and went, then the fall, and we still hadn't heard from him.

Well, today, I opened my Cin Weekly (local free paper) and read that Mac's had opened! 205 West McMillan in Clifton. I had to stop by :-) They don't have a link online yet, but I will post it when I get it.

I had a cheese pizza which was very, very good, and got to talk with Mac and his wife for about an hour and a half. There's too much to cover everything, but here's some highlights

1) He's been open for about 3 weeks, on a limited menu at the moment.

2) He wasn't aware of the mention in Cin Weekly, and was pretty happy I had brought it with me :-)

3) He's buying dough at the moment from Giminnetti's in Walnut Hills, but is strongly considering making his own on the premises. I told him his crust (a very thin crust with a crispy outside and good chew throughout) was very good, made even better by the fact that they baste the edges with garlic butter before it hits the oven, but he wants to improve it. :-)

4) His space is H U G E. Enormous. Cavernous. I was thinking he was goig to open a tiny carryout only place with little more than an oven, a counter, a register, and a place for customers to stand and wait, but he's got a lot of seating space and a bar, with a lot of sports-bar-like decor. You won't think "pizzeria" when you go in there.

5) His menu is pretty diverse, again giving the impression that the pizza is a sideline. He feels there isn't a good burger in Clifton, and so he's out to offer the best in his place. He wants to match or exceed Zips and/or Quatman's.

6) He has some students from the Culinary School at Cincinnati State working for him in the kitchen, and is very pumped about the creative and ideas they have been bringing in. They crafted a bbq pizza he's particularly excited about.

7) He was once an employee of the old Zino's chain, and has worked hard to reproduce the signature item from that old chain, the Zinover - albeit his version is called the Macover. I assured him I'd be back in to try it soon.

he gave me his card as I left, which lists his website as

www.macspizzapub.com (There's not much there yet except for his logo and email address, though)

Y'all got to get down here and check this place out. I think you'll be very impressed.

I'll do a full review with pictures as soon as time permits.

Update 12/08/2005: Cinweekly finally put the tidbit about Mac's online today at http://www.cinweekly.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/a1/20051207/ENT0105/512070339/1026/ENT01
carlton pierre
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/12/07 06:01:18
TJ, nice review/report. Sounds like it's going to be a good joint. Let us know more, and some pics would be great.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/12/07 08:50:50
As an aside: I talked with Mac's wife few a bit before he arrived, and she said she had been at a Apple Computer store in Kenwood shopping for....what else...a Mac....and the fellow who helped her with the purchase, upon hearing that she was opening up a pizzeria in clifton, asked he if she had ever heard of Roadfood.com.

so fess up....who here works at the Apple Store in Kenwood? :-)
ericm
Junior Burger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/12/07 10:10:40
I don't get here very often, but when Mac told me last night that he would be getting a roadfood post I figured I'd come see what TJ thought about his pizza last night. Glad he enjoyed it. As for me, I enjoyed the burger at Mac's last night (I've eaten a lot of Mac's pizza in the past couple of months). His burger is as close to what I would get if I made it at home of any burger I've ever eaten in a resaturant and stands up quite nicely against Zip's (I don't think as highly of Quatman's as Mac does). The burger is thick and savory with fresh toppings and plenty of cheese.

As far as TJ's expectations for the restaurant goes, I can defintely see why he thought it would be a carry-out place. As I recall that would have fit with Mac's thinking at the time. However, when the McMillan property finally became workable it was impossible for Mac not to go for it and, personally, I think he did a great job. Great pizza, great burgers, a wide variety of ice cold beer and plenty of TVs.

As far as the web and pictures goes, I agree. Since, I am also in a position to change that (I control the server Mac's site is hosted on, though I'm a techie not a web designer) I'll make sure to get a .pdf of the menu from Mac and try and remember to snap some photos the next time we are up there for lunch or dinner. Oh, but I don't work at the Kenwood Apple Store.

TJ, you will defintely enjoy the Macover.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/12/07 10:21:50
were you there around 6-7:15pm-ish? I would have liked to meet a fellow roadfooder as well :-)
ericm
Junior Burger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/12/07 11:16:35
Mac came back to the bar right after you left. I was eating dinner with Mac's brother and his brother's wife. I immediately recognized your name/screenname when he told me. Hopefully we'll run into each other there at some point in the future.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/12/21 18:48:26
I managed to stop by Mac's one more time, and had the macover. Excellent! Pics and more extensive commentary to come later, after I try a few more menu items - the 1/2 pound burger, for one.

That said, the first print media review of Mac's is out and available online :-) The review isn't all that positive, but keep in mind he's only been open a few weeks and the reviewer fails to recognize this key fact, even calling the place "popular" despite the fact that there's been almost no time to build a following yet......

Check it out:
http://www.cinweekly.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/a1/20051221/ENT0104/512210335/1026/ENT01
ericm
Junior Burger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/12/27 18:20:34
TJ and all,

I added the menu to the website, you can view both the fron and back.
http://macspizzapub.com

Enjoy the burger, and he added BBQ and Hot wings to the offerings both are proving to be a popular addition.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/12/28 07:39:32
One suggestion, ericm - I know the acrobat reader is a fre download, but if you could convert those two files to jpgs (and reduce in size a bit, probably to fit width-wise on a 1024x768 screen) I think more people would view them more readily.
ericm
Junior Burger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/12/29 17:02:14
I'll talk to Mrs. Mac about it, she is the graphic designer of the group.
wesleyman
Hamburger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2006/01/19 11:03:29
quote:

As an aside: I talked with Mac's wife few a bit before he arrived, and she said she had been at a Apple Computer store in Kenwood shopping for....what else...a Mac....and the fellow who helped her with the purchase, upon hearing that she was opening up a pizzeria in clifton, asked he if she had ever heard of Roadfood.com.

so fess up....who here works at the Apple Store in Kenwood? :-)

That would be me.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2006/01/19 13:11:30
hehe, where you been, wesleyman? :-)

have you stopped over at Mac's yet? or are you saving your money for the new Dunkin Donuts being built on the old Gold Star commissary site?
wesleyman
Hamburger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2006/01/30 12:26:19
quote:

hehe, where you been, wesleyman? :-)

have you stopped over at Mac's yet? or are you saving your money for the new Dunkin Donuts being built on the old Gold Star commissary site?

just been busy. fallen waaay behind on my internet surfing. I have not been to Macs yet, but plan too soon. i did help his wife look at a computer though. His place is on my list for burgers though, not just pie, as a few friends and i are trying to start up a local burger appreciation club.

Well, we will see about the Dunking Donuts, the Mt Washington Community Council said that the zoning change was voted down and there seems to be some opposition to bringing DD to Mt Washington.. http://www.mwcc.org/index.html

I have been getting pie or steak hoagies from Pizzaville on a pretty regular basis now. good stuff.

TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2006/01/30 12:59:41
Glad to hear you like Pizzaville. Make sure to tell Lenny that Tom Jackson turned you on to his place...he'll tell you I haven't been there for a while, though.

I really, really hope the Dunkin Donuts just goes away. I doubt it, since they've already paid for demolition and all, but I'd rather not see yet another chain (like NY Deli, which has already taken away the dance studo at Dixie Fitness) take over any more real estate in Mt Washington.

Also - re: your local burger appreciation group - have you checked out http://cvgburgerguys.blogspot.com/?
John_S
Junior Burger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2006/07/12 05:09:32
Pizza Magia of Delhi is pretty good. Check that out if you have a chance... I found a website for them: [url]www.delhipizzamagia.com[/url]. Looks yummy!
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2006/07/12 07:46:03
quote:
Originally posted by John_S

Pizza Magia of Delhi is pretty good. Check that out if you have a chance... I found a website for them: [url]www.delhipizzamagia.com[/url]. Looks yummy!

They had one in Southgate a few years ago. Barely average. Not even up to the Papa John's standard. Sorry.
Suburban Dad
Junior Burger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2006/08/26 16:07:47
Anyone try MVPizza next to Kings Island on western row?? Hear it is NY style and family owned/operated. Will have to give them a try.
Suburban Dad
Junior Burger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2006/10/08 20:16:44
Finally tried MVP pizza last night. Thought this was a very fine pie. Carry out or delivery only. Good pie for the kids as the pizza is cut into smaller squares instead of the normal tri-angle pieces. Good crust, sauce and cheese. Will definintely get again, after having tried a couple other places on my list. (Big Dog's, Rosati's, Chester's and Milillo's)
Eden
Junior Burger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2007/05/13 19:10:47
quote:

you guys keep busy:)

i did ask my soon to be about trottas and we will likely stop by this weekend as we will be working on wedding stuff at parents, i guess it will only be to take home though...but well give it a go

as for location, we actually looked at old zinos in clifton recently and it is architecturaly superior but also expensive for area at current, kitchen is gone, vents remain, tennent moving soon but too much to invest to return to restaurant. I worked at the HP location and loved almost everything about it. I was also saddened that the covington location did not make it. After eating there it was made clear by taste that all that had happened was that someone paid to use the name and maybe made a phone call or 2 as to how to make a zinover, but did not practice much. Hard to find, expensive and bad.
When i found out about it i got some old buddies together to go out for guys lunch...saturday at 1pm.....CLOSED-and this was 1 month after opening...who is closed at 1 on saturday??? we had to goto jack quinns

We are close to signing lease agreements-will post later, dont want to jinx

as for wicks in louisville (bearnos is good to but not as)
they have 4 but you will definatly want to goto the location at baxter and bardstown (they call it the highlands area)
you will be impressed, i promise

Pizzaville/lenny...yes the calzones are my favorite there, as we all know it is the same ingredients but..??
I do not know if they are on menu or not but if you go there get them instead of the pizza. Get 2 or 3

I used to manage the HP location back in the mid '80's and just loved it, even though John Humphrey, the owner, was a hard butt som etimes, but he liked me. I think of my time there a lot and wonder about everyone. Would love to get in touch to see if we perhaps worked together.
My first job was at La Rosa's in Clifton and my mate Jennifer and I would eat at the Zinos Firehouse all the time. Larry Smith lived upstairs and I could see Hattie the Witch in the upstairs window which was such a thrill for me as I LOVE puppets and grew up with Hattie and the gang in the Magic Forest.
Email me and let's chat about Zinos! Who knows...maybe I was your boss!
jmckee
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2007/05/14 12:35:16
quote:
Originally posted by Eden

quote:

you guys keep busy:)

i did ask my soon to be about trottas and we will likely stop by this weekend as we will be working on wedding stuff at parents, i guess it will only be to take home though...but well give it a go

as for location, we actually looked at old zinos in clifton recently and it is architecturaly superior but also expensive for area at current, kitchen is gone, vents remain, tennent moving soon but too much to invest to return to restaurant. I worked at the HP location and loved almost everything about it. I was also saddened that the covington location did not make it. After eating there it was made clear by taste that all that had happened was that someone paid to use the name and maybe made a phone call or 2 as to how to make a zinover, but did not practice much. Hard to find, expensive and bad.
When i found out about it i got some old buddies together to go out for guys lunch...saturday at 1pm.....CLOSED-and this was 1 month after opening...who is closed at 1 on saturday??? we had to goto jack quinns

We are close to signing lease agreements-will post later, dont want to jinx

as for wicks in louisville (bearnos is good to but not as)
they have 4 but you will definatly want to goto the location at baxter and bardstown (they call it the highlands area)
you will be impressed, i promise

Pizzaville/lenny...yes the calzones are my favorite there, as we all know it is the same ingredients but..??
I do not know if they are on menu or not but if you go there get them instead of the pizza. Get 2 or 3

I used to manage the HP location back in the mid '80's and just loved it, even though John Humphrey, the owner, was a hard butt som etimes, but he liked me. I think of my time there a lot and wonder about everyone. Would love to get in touch to see if we perhaps worked together.
My first job was at La Rosa's in Clifton and my mate Jennifer and I would eat at the Zinos Firehouse all the time. Larry Smith lived upstairs and I could see Hattie the Witch in the upstairs window which was such a thrill for me as I LOVE puppets and grew up with Hattie and the gang in the Magic Forest.
Email me and let's chat about Zinos! Who knows...maybe I was your boss!

Oh BOY do I miss Zino's. Especially the French Onion Soup.....
Eden
Junior Burger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2007/05/14 15:13:19
Zino's really did have great chow. I also loved the French Onion soup....didn't it have mushrooms in it, or have I imagined that??
The Chicken Hungarian soup was good as well, and the Seven Layer salad was extrememly popular when I managed the Hyde Park location.
When I last visited Cincy with my husband, Zinos location was a sushi bar with really blue lights all over. The restrooms hadn't changed though. Believe it or not, I went upstairs and checked them out! LOL
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2007/12/09 03:20:57
I must've missed this thread during my past searches. Reading this makes me really miss Portobella's. And makes me want to drive all the way across the world for some Trotta's. Pizza is a major weakness for me.

Anyway, according to their site, an Old Chicago is opening in West Chester. I was lurking to see if anyone had ever tried it, and I see TJackson didn't like it.

I'll probably have to try it on principle, since, well, I'm originally from Chicago, but I won't expect too much.

My two current area favorites are in Northern Kentucky.

For Chicago style: Bourbon House and Pizzeria (Burlington)
http://www.bourbonandpizza.com/

For New York style: Nicky's World Famous Pizza (Hebron)
www.nickyspizzeria.com
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2007/12/09 18:56:05
Have you had the stuffed pizza at Mio's, Bonk?

Particularly at the well-run, always busy Mt Washington location rather than the newer (and closer to you) Milford and Clough @ 8 Mile locations?
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2007/12/09 21:15:17
Yep. Pretty good pie, just not as good as Portabello's or BAP, IMO.

I lived less than half a mile from the Salem/Mt. Washington one for a about a year, and I ate there regularly.

I've only been to the Eight Mile one once, and I didn't get the deep dish. I had no complaints, but it seems like everyone else here has had a bad experience.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2007/12/09 21:55:01
I have noted more than once that the Mt Washington location tends to serve a better product.

Dont know why. Same commissary......the established locations seeem to get it right, the others dont seem to have a clue.

I can't get the folks at Nicky's to make me a pie with all fresh mozz. They seem to treat it like a topping just like any other - ie you add the fresh atop regular mozzerella same as you'd add pepperoni, mushrooms, etc. Discouraging. I want the fresh INSTEAD of the regular shreds.

jnawillis
Junior Burger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2008/03/07 19:35:57
quote:
Originally posted by dcorn

I love Millilos pizza, good thing i live a block from them
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2008/03/08 14:28:51
quote:

There is a lot of good eating to be had at Hyde Park Square, but none of it is pizza. I think the place across the street from 5/3 - am thinking the name is Indigo - does pretentious california style pizzas. Teller's also does some of these, sometimes, or at least they used to.

I'm not sure there is a NY style pizza anywhere near there

One fairly well reviewed pizza near you is at Dewey's at Oakley Square. Only about a mile away, not too bad of a walk, really.

Another one to try is one of the very few sell-by-the-slice places in Cincinnati, Lucy Blue's at Mt Lookout Square. They even have a NY-style ordering window that opens right onto the sidewalk, so you never have to leave the sidewalk to order a slice. i tired them during their openign week, was so-so, may have gotten better since then.

I think the closest thing we have to a nyc style pizza is at Pomidoris in Clifton and Montgomery, or at Betta's Italian Oven in Norwood.

Fratelli's in Westchester has gotten some press since it's recent opening as being authentic, but to be quite succinct: their pizza sucks. The crust is OK, the sauce is thin and bitter, and the toppings are scant.
Do not be upset I am quoting a years old post - I am starting from the beginning on this thread and wanted to say a couple of things - Pomidori's ain't half bad but I have found Bettas in Norwood terrible - not even remotely edible.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2008/03/08 14:51:37
I used to live in Mt Washington and frequented the Mio's at Sutton Rd & Salem Rd regularly - this was back in the 1978-1984 time period - we then moved to the westside of Cinci and found eventually the Mio's there was nothing like the Mio's in Mt Washington - their pizza was plain awful cardboard crust garbage - I have since been to Mio's original store in Hyde Park and back to the one at 8 mile - their pizza is now cardboard crust garbage too - what happened to the NY style crust pizza they were making in the 1970s-1980's? They make abominable pizza now and back then it was first rate stuff.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2008/03/08 17:52:10
The Mio's on Eight Mile is a very recently (last 2-3 years, tops) built location that replaced one that had been on Mt Carmel Tabasco Road

So the Eight Mile location you went to recently is not the same Eight Mile location as the one you went to in the late 70's and early 80's - where exactly on Eight Mile was this old location? Just curious.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2008/03/08 18:39:05
quote:

The Mio's on Eight Mile is a very recently (last 2-3 years, tops) built location that replaced one that had been on Mt Carmel Tabasco Road

So the Eight Mile location you went to recently is not the same Eight Mile location as the one you went to in the late 70's and early 80's - where exactly on Eight Mile was this old location? Just curious.
My mistake! It was the one at the corner of Salem and Sutton Rds.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2008/03/08 20:52:40
Ah - that is my neighborhood Mio's, a regular favorite of ours

I really like the pizza there, tho i can believe you when you say it was better long ago
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2008/04/11 17:59:38
quote:

There is a lot of good eating to be had at Hyde Park Square, but none of it is pizza. I think the place across the street from 5/3 - am thinking the name is Indigo - does pretentious california style pizzas. Teller's also does some of these, sometimes, or at least they used to.

I'm not sure there is a NY style pizza anywhere near there

One fairly well reviewed pizza near you is at Dewey's at Oakley Square. Only about a mile away, not too bad of a walk, really.

Another one to try is one of the very few sell-by-the-slice places in Cincinnati, Lucy Blue's at Mt Lookout Square. They even have a NY-style ordering window that opens right onto the sidewalk, so you never have to leave the sidewalk to order a slice. i tired them during their openign week, was so-so, may have gotten better since then.

I think the closest thing we have to a nyc style pizza is at Pomidoris in Clifton and Montgomery, or at Betta's Italian Oven in Norwood.

Fratelli's in West Chester has gotten some press since it's recent opening as being authentic, but to be quite succinct: their pizza sucks. The crust is OK, the sauce is thin and bitter, and the toppings are scant.
I like Dewey's and Pomidori's - pretty close to a NY pizza crust and taste - the pizza at Betta's and Fratelli's is plain awful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4 - Powered by APG vNext Trial