Chinese "Lop Chong" pork sausages

yumbo
  • Total Posts : 330
  • Reward points : 0
Chinese "Lop Chong" pork sausages - Mon, 04/21/03 4:29 PM
Has anyone had Chinese Lop Chong sausages? They're hard sausages, made from pork and honey. If you want to experience Chinese comfort food, chop up some of these babies and dump them into a rice cooker along with the rice and water as you normally would do. The steam is all you need to cook them.

You can find these in any Asian market, or at gourmet supermarkets in the refrigerated display case.

-Yumbo

Jennifer_4
  • Total Posts : 1508
RE: Chinese "Lop Chong" pork sausages - Mon, 04/21/03 5:35 PM
My local dim sum place, does a "pig in a blanket" using the lop chong sausages and french puff pastry. I find it more novel than satisfying.

Herron
  • Total Posts : 25
RE: Chinese "Lop Chong" pork sausages - Mon, 04/21/03 8:44 PM
Cleveland's West Side Market has wonderful East European sausages (Slovenian, Lithuanian, Hungarian, etc.). While you are there, you can pick up cooked hot Italian sausages with onions and peppers or kielbasa with sauerkraut on soft or hard buns in the corner stalls. They are a great snack while you stock up on the uncooked variety.

kdiammond
  • Total Posts : 133
RE: Chinese "Lop Chong" pork sausages - Tue, 04/22/03 12:51 AM
Those Lop Chong are great mixed with shredded dikon radish and a bit of rice flour and dried mini shrimp then steamed and cut pieces fried. This is called turnip cake for some reason? I love this!

ocdreamr
  • Total Posts : 1109
RE: Chinese "Lop Chong" pork sausages - Tue, 04/22/03 10:23 AM
I use lap chong in fried rice. I love that slight taste of star anise that they have. They keep great in the freezer & since they are so thin you can take them right from the freezer & cut them up to throw in whatever your making.

longday
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Chinese "Lop Chong" pork sausages - Thu, 07/10/03 7:08 PM
Yumbo, You hit the nail on the head. I first had Lop Chong A couple of decades ago in Honk Kong and told my hosts "for this alone it was worth the trip". With anything from congee to a bun either domestic or from canada it is wonderful. I wonder who sells it online?

yumbo
  • Total Posts : 330
RE: Chinese "Lop Chong" pork sausages - Fri, 07/11/03 2:18 AM
quote:
Originally posted by longday

Yumbo, You hit the nail on the head. I first had Lop Chong A couple of decades ago in Honk Kong and told my hosts "for this alone it was worth the trip". With anything from congee to a bun either domestic or from canada it is wonderful. I wonder who sells it online?

It might be hard to find it online because I think it has to stay refrigerated. Any Asian grocery store will have it.