The BLT

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 89
BT
  • Total Posts : 3589
  • Reward points : 0
The BLT - Tue, 07/20/04 11:21 PM
I think it's the Queen of Sandwiches. But it's hard to find a really distinguished one away from home. I think that's because it depends on really top notch basic ingredients: really ripe, tasty tomato; good mayo, decent bread and bacon. Anybody want to recommend places to get a top quality BLT on the road?

meowzart
  • Total Posts : 773
RE: The BLT - Wed, 07/21/04 10:26 AM
If you are ever back DC way, BT, I recommend Breadline. The only time they ever put tomotoes on their sandwiches is when they are in season. So you know you are getting a really good BLT. And their bread is fabulous! It is the best part about any of their sandwiches!

scbuzz
  • Total Posts : 844
RE: The BLT - Wed, 07/21/04 10:41 AM
I know its a chain and maybe some people are tired of hearing about it .... but Waffle House makes an excellent BLT. I especially like mine on Texas toast !! The bacon is hot and crispy and they actually use pretty good tasting tomatoes (at least in most the ones in South Carolina where I stop). I really like the BLT with a side of hash browns (scattered and smothered of course) !!!

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17815
RE: The BLT - Wed, 07/21/04 11:07 AM
quote:
Originally posted by scbuzz

I know its a chain and maybe some people are tired of hearing about it .... but Waffle House makes an excellent BLT. I especially like mine on Texas toast !! The bacon is hot and crispy and they actually use pretty good tasting tomatoes (at least in most the ones in South Carolina where I stop). I really like the BLT with a side of hash browns (scattered and smothered of course) !!!

My wife always ordered her Waffle House BLTs "light on the bacon." That was to keep them from making the bacon crisp.

Maynerd
  • Total Posts : 256
RE: The BLT - Wed, 07/21/04 11:29 AM
It's a chain too, but I like the BLT at Cafe Express. But I get mine with mustard. Mustard rules!

Kent Daniels
  • Total Posts : 38
RE: The BLT - Wed, 07/21/04 9:13 PM
Somehow I just don't trust a BLT outside the house, when you can't control the quality and crispness of the bacon, the freshness of the lettuce, and the flavor of a nice, home-grown tomato. In fact, I ate my first BLT of the season last week, and will eat my last one in October, when I pick the last of the vine-ripened tomatoes for the year. The rest of the year, I just wait, with great longing in my heart.

sweetgherkin
  • Total Posts : 88
RE: The BLT - Thu, 07/22/04 1:27 AM
I agree BLT's are best when they are made at home. When I make them they are triple deckers: two slices of toasted white/sourdough/french bread w/mayo and pepper, green leaf lettuce on both of those. Extra crisp slices of bacon on one, thin slices of tomato and avocado on the other, plus salt on that side. One more slice of toasted bread, mayo'd and peppered on both sides, stuck in the middle. OK, the avocado makes it a BLAT instead of a BLT, but a BLT is so much better with the A.

BT
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: The BLT - Thu, 07/22/04 3:59 AM
quote:
Originally posted by sweetgherkin

I agree BLT's are best when they are made at home. When I make them they are triple deckers: two slices of toasted white/sourdough/french bread w/mayo and pepper, green leaf lettuce on both of those. Extra crisp slices of bacon on one, thin slices of tomato and avocado on the other, plus salt on that side. One more slice of toasted bread, mayo'd and peppered on both sides, stuck in the middle. OK, the avocado makes it a BLAT instead of a BLT, but a BLT is so much better with the A.

Sounds good, but I'm a traditionalist usually: One "deck"; I like the bread toasted but otherwise it's just plenty of bacon, tomato and mayo and fairly light on the lettuce (sometimes I skip the L entirely).

jellybear
  • Total Posts : 1135
RE: The BLT - Thu, 07/22/04 8:48 AM
Enough!Im going to make me one now!

RubyRose
  • Total Posts : 2187
RE: The BLT - Thu, 07/22/04 10:17 AM
Thought you might enjoy this photo from Harvest House (the former F.W. Woolworth's) lunch counter. Woolworth's always had the best BLT's. Most of the local diners around here make a very good one.

BBq King
  • Total Posts : 123
RE: The BLT - Thu, 07/22/04 12:38 PM
I know it's a chain, but Arby's has a really good BLT. Lots of pepper bacon on the sandwich.

jpatweb
  • Total Posts : 232
RE: The BLT - Thu, 07/22/04 4:59 PM
quote:
Originally posted by meowzart

If you are ever back DC way, BT, I recommend Breadline. The only time they ever put tomotoes on their sandwiches is when they are in season. So you know you are getting a really good BLT. And their bread is fabulous! It is the best part about any of their sandwiches!

The Breadline's rendition of a BLT is a fine one for sure, but points off for not toasting that bread. Untoasted, it struggles under the weight of the very generous helping of B,L, and T stuffed in between the slices. That said, I wouldn't mind having one right now.

fastfood
  • Total Posts : 82
RE: The BLT - Tue, 07/12/05 2:43 AM
quote:
Originally posted by BBq King

I know it's a chain, but Arby's has a really good BLT. Lots of pepper bacon on the sandwich.

5 strips to be exact!To enlighten you guys more it also comes with the freshest sliced tamatoes,arby's famous mayo,and leafy lettuce.

jeepguy
  • Total Posts : 1555
RE: The BLT - Tue, 07/12/05 6:00 AM
quote:

I tried Waffle House again the other day...maybe i'm missing something. scbuzz, get in your car this weekend and drive down to Pawley's Island to find a true roadfood experience- Hog Heaven! In a tiny cinder block building they pull off a lowcountry buffet that will make your head spin, believe me. Really great! Thu-Sat only. $6.95 lunch,$8.95 dinner with $2.75 import beers. Worthy of a roadtrip anyday in my book.

Grillmeister
  • Total Posts : 204
RE: The BLT - Tue, 07/12/05 6:53 AM
It's tomato picking time so there's probably no commercial establishment that can beat homemade (at least during harvest season). Not their fault though, since they have to use commercial suppliers. I peel my homegrown tomatoes since the skins are thicker thus making the entire sandwich a "smoother" eating experience.

tiki
  • Total Posts : 4135
RE: The BLT - Tue, 07/12/05 2:14 PM
quote:
Originally posted by fastfood

quote:
Originally posted by BBq King

5 strips to be exact!To enlighten you guys more it also comes with the freshest sliced tamatoes,arby's famous mayo,and leafy lettuce.

Gee--i've always wanted to be enlightened about Arby's!

The Travelin Man
  • Total Posts : 3698
RE: The BLT - Tue, 07/12/05 2:29 PM
quote:
Originally posted by tiki

Gee--i've always wanted to be enlightened about Arby's!

Careful, tiki! Someone will accuse you of not playing nice with the newbies.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17815
RE: The BLT - Tue, 07/12/05 2:40 PM
Not beng known for my diplomacy I shall go out on a limb and state as clearly as possible that I find Mr. Arby to be a pain in the hog's shoulder.

Lucky Bishop
  • Total Posts : 1049
RE: The BLT - Tue, 07/12/05 4:06 PM
Here's an actual useful piece of information instead of the usual anti-chain sniping: Flour Bakery, 1595 Washington Street, Boston MA (corner of Washington and E. Concord in the South End), 617-267-4300, www.flourbakery.com

The BLT at Flour is regularly named Boston's best BLT in local polls, and for good reason: it's a genuinely spectacular sandwich. The bacon is perfectly cooked, firm but still chewy. The lettuce and tomato are as fresh and local as is possible (which means that this sandwich is best eaten in the summer), and the white toast on which it's served is good enough to be eaten by itself, with an open-grained texture and a pleasantly chewy consistency. Your order will take a while, since each sandwich is constructed only upon order, including cooking the bacon. But it'll be entirely worth it.

A tip: Flour Bakery is almost always mobbed. Get your sandwich to go and walk one block east on Washington Street to a rather nice park, with benches and a fountain.

mr chips
  • Total Posts : 4715
RE: The BLT - Tue, 07/12/05 11:55 PM
There is a sports bar in Portland called Lil" Cooperstown which makes a BLT that I like.

readjl
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: The BLT - Thu, 07/21/05 5:03 PM
quote:

That's a BLTA!! and they are awesome. toast the wheat bread, a little mayo and load up.

alesrus
  • Total Posts : 292
RE: The BLT - Thu, 07/21/05 5:17 PM
We are having BLT's for dinner tonight I am stopping at the butcher on the way home for some bacon and Sue is picking up the tomatoes at the farm stand on her way home. I think it is important where the salt and pepper is placed. Salt on the tomatoes and pepper on the mayo which is on the bread.

varelas
  • Total Posts : 118
RE: The BLT - Thu, 07/21/05 5:58 PM
I remember watching a TV food show, the host was David Rosen%%%%%, I can't remember the last name. He showed how to make all kinds of things. He did a show on how to make the best BLT. He toasted his bread under the broiler but only on one side. The un-toasted side was for the outside of the BLT, so it was soft to the mouth and the toasted side held up to the mayo. Never did make it his way.

DinoS
  • Total Posts : 128
RE: The BLT - Thu, 07/21/05 6:08 PM
quote:
Originally posted by BT

I think it's the Queen of Sandwiches.

Or maybe King. I, like some other posters, always make mine at home. You just can't trust the quality of the ingredients (esp. tomatoes) that you get in restaurants these days.

The BLT (with mayo) is by far my favorite sandwich. Unfortunately, I don't have them as much as I'd like. It's just hard to find good tomatoes other than in the summer months.

Dino

Kiowa1
  • Total Posts : 189
RE: The BLT - Thu, 07/21/05 6:36 PM
A good homemade BLT consists of good, crisp bacon, mayo, fresh lettuce, SLICES OF JUST PICKED TOMATOES FROM THE GARDEN STILL WARM FROM THE SUN (ahhh, the aroma and anticipation) and toasted slices of just-baked bread (your choice). I'll have two!!!

Adjudicator
  • Total Posts : 5055
RE: The BLT - Thu, 07/21/05 6:47 PM
quote:

This is how I do it also, sans the avocado. However, I usually add some thin sliced ham to my creation and triple load the tomatoes, etc.; technically not making it a BLT.
Don't forget the "Duke's Famous Sauce", though...

RibRater
  • Total Posts : 1862
RE: The BLT - Tue, 03/27/07 5:05 PM
Digging up an old thread instead of starting a new one on the same subject....

I eat BLT sandwiches/subs often and, like the original poster, I believe it to be the king of all sandwiches. The combination of garden tomatoes, salty bacon, fresh iceberg lettuce, and kraft mayo on white bread (salt and pepper to taste!) imo, simply can't be beat.

From Arby's to Zaxby's (and every sub or sandwich shop in between), if you offer a BLT I'm probably going to give it a shot and hope for the best. If I'm not making it at home, it comes down to the bread and the tomato. If both are fresh we probably have a winner.

Adjudicator
RE: The BLT - Tue, 03/27/07 7:24 PM
BLT's are definitely good, especially with thick cut, high acid fresh 'maters and plenty** of crisp bacon, lettuce and mayo. However, if I go that route I usually end up making club sandwiches (no turkey). I can't resist the extras of thinly sliced smoked ham and similarly sliced cheddar. The third slice of bread helps also, as I use that as an excuse to add more of everything.

**one pound of raw bacon for 2 sandwiches -

RibRater
  • Total Posts : 1862
RE: The BLT - Tue, 03/27/07 8:16 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

sounds about right to me!

John A
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: The BLT - Wed, 03/28/07 7:41 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Larry - RibRater - Jay

quote:

sounds about right to me!

Are you sure, that would give me 3/4 and you 1/4?

John

iqdiva
  • Total Posts : 1491
RE: The BLT - Wed, 03/28/07 10:42 AM
Southeast Alabama Method : Lots of old fashioned country black pepper bacon ,lettuce,home-grown Slocomb,Alabama tomatoes (the finest tomatoes in the world !),Colonial white bread,lots of mayonnaise,salt and pepper on the tomatoes,and just a touch of French's mustard on one of the bread slices.Incredible with a glass of sweet iced tea.

dickestep
  • Total Posts : 533
RE: The BLT - Thu, 03/29/07 6:22 PM
quote:

The IHOP in Kemah, Texas, used more bacon than I've seen on a BLT in years. I've had them there several times. BLTs have been a favorite of mine since I was a young'n.

Adjudicator
RE: The BLT - Sun, 04/1/07 10:32 AM

Late Night BLT Sandwich with Fried Egg and Cheese

Ingredients:
1. 3-4 thick slices bacon
2. 2 slices Monterey Jack Cheese
3. 2 slices Pain de Campagne (rustic country loaf), toasted

- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 4 slices tomato
- 2 leaves butter lettuce
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 egg

1. Cook the bacon until crisp, drain on paper towels and set aside.
2. Place the slices of cheese on one slice of the toasted bread and place in a toaster oven or under a broiler to melt the cheese.
3. Spread the other slice of toast with the mayonnaise, top with the cooked bacon, the sliced tomato, and the lettuce.
4. In a nonstick skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Fry the egg, turning over briefly when the bottom is set. (keep the yolk runny!)
5. Slide the finished egg on top of the lettuce. Top with the other slice of toast, melted cheese side down. Place the sandwich on a plate and slice in half, letting the yolk run down the sandwich.
6. Makes one late night sandwich.

dickestep
  • Total Posts : 533
RE: The BLT - Wed, 04/4/07 5:13 PM
quote:

That sounds about right. I certainly would not reject it if a sliced avacado were to appear in it, too!

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
RE: The BLT - Wed, 04/4/07 5:28 PM
YUM!!!!!!!

MilwFoodlovers
  • Total Posts : 3090
RE: The BLT - Wed, 04/4/07 9:30 PM
Good lord man, you've managed to combine most of my favorite food groups into one sandwich! The funny thing is I just bought a loaf of Pain de Campagne from my local artisan bakery and now I know how I'll christen it! I think I might add that avocado as that sounds like an excellent addition.

bbires
  • Total Posts : 348
RE: The BLT - Fri, 07/20/07 9:16 PM
Chattanooga has several fine BLT's, my favorite being at Armando's. If you've been here, you know there are several Armando's in the area. I go to the one on Main St. It's a triple decker BLT, nothing too fancy or extra, but they do not skimp on the bacon! In fact, they go a little overboard. Their BLT is a big sandwich, when many BLT's are not. And Armando's has the best tater tots I've ever had--maybe not a big deal, but if you've ever had the bitter ones at Sonic, then you can't begin to know how sublime a perfectly fried tater tot can be. Perfect side for a BLT!

matilda
  • Total Posts : 667
RE: The BLT - Fri, 07/20/07 9:28 PM

bbires
  • Total Posts : 348
RE: The BLT - Fri, 07/20/07 10:23 PM
I love to bake pain de campagne, but I think it's too hearty and complex for the BLT. It will overpower the sandwich; white bread of some kind, probably the plainer the better (I buy the kind with extra fiber) is the shizzle for a BLT IMHO.

phlmaestro2000
  • Total Posts : 109
RE: The BLT - Sat, 07/21/07 6:55 PM
While I don't really rate the place that high over all, More Than Just Ice Cream in Philadelphia does a great job on BLTs and grilled cheese; or at least they used to. I haven't had anything other than ice cream there recently.

OilCan
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: The BLT - Sun, 07/22/07 10:13 AM
You people are killin' me.

We're waiting for the first local tomatoes to hit the farm. Once they do you can bet I'll have the bacon cooked and bread toasted.

This may be the best all time sandwich ever invented....I can't wait..

Adjudicator
RE: The BLT - Sun, 07/22/07 10:21 AM
quote:
Originally posted by OilCan

You people are killin' me.

We're waiting for the first local tomatoes to hit the farm. Once they do you can bet I'll have the bacon cooked and bread toasted.

This may be the best all time sandwich ever invented....I can't wait..

It IS.

No fresh tomatoes yet? Bummer. We are having a bumper crop of them down here...

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15059
RE: The BLT - Tue, 07/24/07 9:20 AM

Costco's Thick-Sliced Maple Smoked Bacon makes the best BLT's I have ever had the good fortune to enjoy !! BTW for me you can leave off the "L"... I like my sandwich to be a "BOT" that's Bacon, Onion,& Tomato !!!

Farfromhome
  • Total Posts : 108
RE: The BLT - Tue, 07/24/07 9:45 AM
BLT's and their cousin, the club sandwich are 2 of my families favorite sandwiches, however we only have them at home because my husband and kids insist that miracle whip be used instead of mayo, so no matter how good the mayo, they won't even try it.

Dickestep, I spent about 5 years of my childhood in Kemah on Bradford Street. I recently went to visit a aunt of mine, and I couldn't believe it was the same little town. I really thought after hurricane alicia did so much damage that Kemah would never really recover but look at it now!

Bigdave125
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: The BLT - Sun, 02/10/08 9:11 PM
People who were/are stationed in Iwakuni Japan on the Marine station will know about Sako's. It's a very small resturant just outside the base that's only open for lunch. They serve the absolute best BLT I've ever had, and if you ask around, most people who have been there will say the same. Some years ago, Playboy magazine rated it as one of the 5 best BLT's in the world.
Anyway, they start with thick sliced white bread, what looks like texas toast to us here in the US, toasted to a light brown. Then they coat it with a liberal coat of mayo. Next comes hand leafed lettuce, nice and fresh and it looks like the just select the best part of the head. Then comes the tomatoes. They use fresh, very ripe red tomatoes. My father grew tomatoes at our house each year, and I can tell you, theses are every bit as fresh and juicy as the ones my dad grew. In fact, I would say they are better! Probably the best tasting tomatoes I've ever had. They slice them extra thick, about 3/4 inch thick, and place them on top of the lettuce. Then comes the bacon. Not sure where they get their bacon, but it is thick cut and has a great flavor. They cook it to medium well done, but not crisp. To me this perfect and makes the sandwich just right. Anyway, they top it with another slice of toasted bread. Man, it is simply the best sandwich I have ever had! Sure wish I could go back and have another one someday!

divefl
  • Total Posts : 1671
RE: The BLT - Mon, 02/11/08 9:59 AM
That's the way to go, John. Any other ingrediants and it's still a fine sandwich, but not a BLT. That is a fine BLT.

MiamiDon
  • Total Posts : 4306
RE: The BLT - Mon, 02/11/08 11:09 AM
quote:

Ingredients:
1. 3-4 thick slices bacon
2. 2 slices Monterey Jack Cheese
3. 2 slices Pain de Campagne (rustic country loaf), toasted

- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 4 slices tomato
- 2 leaves butter lettuce
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 egg

1. Cook the bacon until crisp, drain on paper towels and set aside.
2. Place the slices of cheese on one slice of the toasted bread and place in a toaster oven or under a broiler to melt the cheese.
3. Spread the other slice of toast with the mayonnaise, top with the cooked bacon, the sliced tomato, and the lettuce.
4. In a nonstick skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Fry the egg, turning over briefly when the bottom is set. (keep the yolk runny!)
5. Slide the finished egg on top of the lettuce. Top with the other slice of toast, melted cheese side down. Place the sandwich on a plate and slice in half, letting the yolk run down the sandwich.
6. Makes one late night sandwich.

It looks like you and Thomas Keller have the same tastes!

http://members.cox.net/jjschnebel/SpangSand.html

Adjudicator
RE: The BLT - Thu, 02/28/08 6:57 PM
quote:
Originally posted by John A

How about about BT on lightly toasted rye?

Is that enough bacon?

No... Dang that looks good!

Baah Ben
  • Total Posts : 3026
RE: The BLT - Thu, 02/28/08 7:16 PM
I have to believe there's a place in NYC that has taken the BLT to another level. Maybe someone will post and let us know.

For me, it all starts with a juicy NJ beefsteak tomato and good quality bacon that is not over cooked! Iceberg or romaine lettuce, Duke's Mayo, a really good toasted white bread or a really crisp kaiser roll with two slices of melted American cheese and a sour pickle spear.

leethebard
  • Total Posts : 6071
RE: The BLT - Fri, 02/29/08 4:06 PM
Love a BLT on almost any bread...and almost any cheese. My dad had to have it with a nice slice of Velveta. I also like to add some crisp fried mushrooms sometimes...It's fun to come up with various combinations...but the heart of the sandwich is a great beefsteak tomato. This season we're planting the newly available Ramapo tomatoes from Rutger's university> The web says they're extremely tasty!!

Robearjr
  • Total Posts : 1102
RE: The BLT - Fri, 02/29/08 7:55 PM
The BLT is great on toasted cheese bread. I find that works better than a slice of cheese, which seems to alter the BLT texture from crispy to gooey.

Baah Ben
  • Total Posts : 3026
RE: The BLT - Fri, 02/29/08 8:01 PM
John A..THAT'S JUST BEAUTIFUL...I'd just suggest adding a few more strips of bacon. Is that Duke's Mayo? Probably not, but try it...Good stuff!

John A
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: The BLT - Sat, 03/1/08 8:36 AM
Ya know, it's a mystery Baah Ben. I swear there was more bacon when I fried it up, some dissapeared between the stove and the countertop That's Hellman's mayo, I'm going to have to try Duke's since so many people brag about it.

matilda
RE: The BLT - Sat, 03/1/08 8:54 AM
quote:
Originally posted by John A

Ya know, it's a mystery Baah Ben. I swear there was more bacon when I fried it up, some dissapeared between the stove and the countertop That's Hellman's mayo, I'm going to have to try Duke's since so many people brag about it.

One hasn't had mayonnaise until one has had Duke's.

leethebard
  • Total Posts : 6071
RE: The BLT - Sat, 03/1/08 8:54 AM
Is Duke's available on the East coast? Never heard of it 'til so many of you have been singing its praises!

matilda
RE: The BLT - Sat, 03/1/08 8:59 AM
Yes.

matilda
RE: The BLT - Sat, 03/1/08 9:02 AM
Here's a link:

http://www.dukesmayo.com/

matilda
RE: The BLT - Sat, 03/1/08 9:07 AM

BR
  • Total Posts : 233
RE: The BLT - Sun, 03/2/08 12:37 PM
It just seems WRONG to put egg on a Bacon Lettuce & Tomato sandwich. I'll take my BLT with bacon lettuce and tomato please!

divefl
  • Total Posts : 1671
RE: The BLT - Fri, 03/7/08 12:06 PM
quote:
Originally posted by BR

It just seems WRONG to put egg on a Bacon Lettuce & Tomato sandwich. I'll take my BLT with bacon lettuce and tomato please!

You have to take it that way. Or else, it's not a BLT. It's still a good sandwich, but it's a bacon and egg sandwich with toppings. I think people strive to hold onto the BLT name because it just invokes goodness and it's familiar.

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 89