Zucchinni Overload

Cheeseburger
2004/07/28 11:01:45
Well we are into the season of zucchini threatening to take over gardens and kitchens alike. A visit to a rural household results in a gift basket upon departure. What to do?

I found one even my kids eat. I slice the devils lengthwise on a mandoline or carefully by hand into strips about 1/4 by 1/4 inch by the length of the zuke. Makes a big fettuccine noodle. Fry over high heat till almost soft, remove and drain. White wine in the pan with garlic. Add heavy cream and reduce till a bit thick. Add the drained zuke juice and when thick add the noodles. Toss with plenty of parmesan and whatever herbs you like. Zucchini Alfredo is born. I touch of blue cheese in the sauce doesn't hurt as well.

Any good use for zukes from you eaters?

Summer Cheers
Rusty246
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Zucchinni Overload 2004/07/28 11:10:18
Oh my, my, that sounds DELICIOUS! Zucchini bread? Muffins? I've only fried it with a mix of yellow crooknecks, made casseroles and I've used it in quiche. Nothing as creative as you!
lisajocole
Hamburger
RE: Zucchinni Overload 2004/07/28 11:16:54
Just had some last night for dinner. Sauteed zuke coins in a little olive oil over high heat til nice and browned. Threw in a palm-full of grated parm reggiano and cracked pepper, tossed til melted. A grind of coarse salt and down the gullet it went!

Delicious!!!!

My mom also used to make a chocolate chip zucchini bread that was heavenly. Maybe I'll make some tonight!

Good eating . . .
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Zucchinni Overload 2004/07/28 11:17:59
My wife used to do a stuffed zucchini. She'd cut them in half lengthwise and scoop out the pulp. Then she would mix the pulp with ground lamb, rice and onions and stuff it all back in the zucchini halves, top with breadcrumbs and then bake them. Delicious.

This was especially good with those big ones that went unnoticed for too long under the zucchini leaves.
Rusty246
RE: Zucchinni Overload 2004/07/28 11:31:01
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

My wife used to do a stuffed zucchini. She'd cut them in half lengthwise and scoop out the pulp. Then she would mix the pulp with ground lamb, rice and onions and stuff it all back in the zucchini halves, top with breadcrumbs and then bake them. Delicious.

This was especially good with those big ones that went unnoticed for too long under the zucchini leaves.

Ahhh, kind of similar to stuffed cabbage maybe. I'd like to try this with some finely diced tomato....
bigcat39
Junior Burger
RE: Zucchinni Overload 2004/07/28 11:57:24
Slice it up. Brown some cut up bacon, then saute' the zucchini and a little onion in the bacon fat. add a large can of crushed tomatoes, heat it a bit. Pour in a cassarole, top with crumbled saltines and LOTS of grated cheese (I like sharp cheddar but mozzarella is good too)Bake until the cheese is bubbly. Eat. Bet ya can't stop!
Kristi S.
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Zucchinni Overload 2004/07/28 11:59:14
Mail your surplus zucchini to Kristi S.

!!!!

efuery
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Zucchinni Overload 2004/07/28 12:00:08
Zucchini Pancakes - Prepare and serve them just as you would potato pancakes

Breaded and Fried zucchini is also a faveorite of mine.
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: Zucchinni Overload 2004/07/28 13:12:32
i had posted this in another forum--its a great soup that i LOVE!
Zucchinni Soup---this recipe is formulated by the size of the pot you cook it in and not the amount of any single ingrediant---that said-------pick a pot---cut onions and carrots to fill 1/4 of the pot in large chunks and toss it in with a little olive oil and saute for for a about ten mins--slowly---fill remainder of pot with chunks of zucchinni--add... a large handful of Italian flat leaf parsley---as much roasted garlic as you like--I like ALOT!..some white pepper... and enough good chicken stock to cover.Put a lid it and simmer until the the whole house smells great and the vegies are soft. In a blender--a little at a time---puree the the whole thing---using only enough of the broth to make a smooth creamy soup---i save any extra broth and drink it like pot liquer---season with salt and pepper to taste-- mix in a little brandy if you like--and i DO! Serve with a dollop of sour cream or yoghurt cheese--that plain yoghurt that you sit in a strainer lined with cheeseclouth over a bowl so that all the excess liquid drains off.

try it, you'll like it!--a great "soup and sandwich" addition any time of year.
trolasater
Hamburger
RE: Zucchinni Overload 2004/07/28 14:29:56
My father used to double check that the car was locked when we drove to church during zucchini season as people would bring their surplus
to church on Sunday and leave them in unlocked cars. If he forgot,
there would be a paper grocery bag full on the front seat.
twodales
Cheeseburger
RE: Zucchinni Overload 2004/07/28 14:30:43
As per the first suggestion...Zucchini sliced and served as pasta is a good idea. Very versatile and good for you low-carbers too.

How about sliced in thin rounds and sauteed with olive oil and or butter or both...a little garlic (be careful not to burn) and a little lemon juice and/or parmesan. Quick and tasty.

Or how about thin rounds lightly battered (buttermilk then dip in 3 parts flour 1 part semolina)and lightly fry in peanut oil. Gently salt and serve with skordalia (greek potato and garlic dip) Yum! You can also do artichokes, lemon and celery this way too for a good combination.
chezkatie
RE: Zucchinni Overload 2004/07/28 14:56:04
I use parboiled zucchini slices (cut length wise) in place of the lasagna pasta when I make baked lasagna. It is really good.
Grampy
RE: Zucchinni Overload 2004/07/28 15:42:51
I have my surplus, too. I halve them, slice them thin and sauté in olive oil on high, add thinly sliced garlic, a dash of hot pepper flakes -- sometimes diced pancetta--and some halved grape tomatoes, salt, and serve it as a quick fresh sauce on pasta with fresh parm and plenty of freshly torn basil.
carlton pierre
RE: Zucchinni Overload 2004/10/23 17:46:11
Deep fried, like potato chips.

carl reitz