milkshake bar

Post
marcbla
Cheeseburger
2004/07/28 17:09:59
when i wes a kid i remember a candy bar called milkshake, i don't remember what was in it but it tasted really good when frozen, anybody remember this?
6star
Filet Mignon
RE: milkshake bar 2004/07/28 17:56:33
You might be interested in this bit of history I found.....yes, Milkshake bar is mentioned.

http://www.paydaybar.com/history.html
dte3672
Junior Burger
RE: milkshake bar 2004/07/31 23:28:32
OMG yes I used to love those frozen!!!
jerseygirl127
Cheeseburger
RE: milkshake bar 2004/08/04 09:00:13
THANKS for that memory-- i don't know why but i read this and automatically associated those milkshake bars with the movie theater.. maybe they had them in a machine or something there when i was a kid-- don't know.. those ROCKED-- especially frozen... thanks!!
anchovies
Junior Burger
RE: milkshake bar 2004/08/26 00:26:26
Milkshake bars are no longer available unfortunately. I was able to try one before they went away. My mother and grandmother actually worked at the candy factor that made Milkshake bars, Butternut, Zero, and another one that will pop into my head after I have already hit the send button!! She used to love to freeze the Milkshake bars also-must have been that generation!! She told me stories of the bars coming down the line and they would have to pick them up between their fingers and put them on another conveyor belt for wrapping. She said she got really good at picking up four or five per hand. Now that's amazing! The best part of the job was they got to eat as many candy bars as they wanted while they were on shift. Bet they went away with some belly aches!!
lisajocole
Hamburger
RE: milkshake bar 2004/08/26 10:11:39
Did they used to have a t.v. commericial for Milkshake bars that had a little kid saying "it's thickerer, yeah, thickerer" ??? I used to love those bars but can't rememeber if that's the one that went with the commercial. Were they kind of thick with air bubbles in the chocolate?
RibDog
Double Cheeseburger
RE: milkshake bar 2004/08/26 11:27:56
They always reminded me of a chocolate malted. They were in my top ten of candy bars.

John
chipster
Junior Burger
RE: milkshake bar 2005/01/21 13:35:40
quote:
Originally posted by anchovies

Milkshake bars are no longer available unfortunately. I was able to try one before they went away. My mother and grandmother actually worked at the candy factor that made Milkshake bars, Butternut, Zero, and another one that will pop into my head after I have already hit the send button!! She used to love to freeze the Milkshake bars also-must have been that generation!! She told me stories of the bars coming down the line and they would have to pick them up between their fingers and put them on another conveyor belt for wrapping. She said she got really good at picking up four or five per hand. Now that's amazing! The best part of the job was they got to eat as many candy bars as they wanted while they were on shift. Bet they went away with some belly aches!!
chipster
Junior Burger
RE: milkshake bar 2005/01/21 13:51:14
The other candy bar was called "Big Time"
michaelgemmell
Double Cheeseburger
RE: milkshake bar 2005/01/21 17:57:40
I always liked that "Zero" bar, too. I still love white chocolate for its delicate flavor.
Lucky Bishop
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: milkshake bar 2005/01/21 18:18:06
Zero bars are still around -- in fact, I've recently started seeing bags of miniature Zero bars at Shaw's! Quite nice, although the white coating (it ain't white chocolate, it's more like a colorless version of the shell on a Dairy Queen dipped cone) could stand to be a little thicker, which I swear it used to be. The coating on Zero bars these days often cracks before you even get it out of the wrapper!

You know, I remember Clark bars, but I can't for the life of me remember what they were like. I think I only got Zeros and Zagnuts. Maybe the occasional Payday after my palate was mature enough to appreciate that whole salty/sweet thing.
jerseygirl127
Cheeseburger
RE: milkshake bar 2005/01/22 08:09:53
i don't know if anyone else will remember this one but-- there are always food rumors floating about concerning this food or that food.. but when i think of milkshake bars (and i used to love them-- and love ZEROs now..) i remember a story when i was a kid about them having rat "stuff" in them -- especially the ones that you got out of a candy machine.. i realize that there's no way that anyone could determine where the candy goes from the 'candy makers' but i believed it =- as a kid.. and now i see how silly that was..

the only way to eat them was frozen btw-- i agree...
mimsy
Junior Burger
RE: milkshake bar 2005/02/02 12:38:09
I remember MilkShake bars.. I always thought they were a better version of 3Musketeers which also are better frozen than not. My teeth are not in the best shape now, if I were to eat one frozen I'd have to suck on it like a lolipop..<G>.
verysleepy
Cheeseburger
RE: milkshake bar 2005/02/09 17:03:20
Not only was the Milk Shake bar sold in movie theaters- well at least here in NY.... they were sold in the machines, and not behind the counter. I remember that I could afford one milk shake bar, one popcorn, one drink, one price of admission to the theater, and carfare (nyc bus) for an entire dollar. This was as late as 1960.. whoa! Flashback time here!
EricT
Junior Burger
RE: milkshake bar 2005/02/21 22:51:52
I used to get Milkshakes at the Century Meadows Theater in Fresh Meadows, Queens (NY), in the 1950s-60s. Unfrozen, they were 5 cents. Frozen ones cost 6 cents, and they came with an ice cream pop-type stick stuck in them. I loved them! I think they actually tasted like a milk shake.
anchovies
Junior Burger
RE: milkshake bar 2005/07/15 02:23:09
If I remember correctly, Clark bars tasted like peanut butter covered in chocolate. They remind me of the texture of a Butterfinger
quote:
Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

Zero bars are still around -- in fact, I've recently started seeing bags of miniature Zero bars at Shaw's! Quite nice, although the white coating (it ain't white chocolate, it's more like a colorless version of the shell on a Dairy Queen dipped cone) could stand to be a little thicker, which I swear it used to be. The coating on Zero bars these days often cracks before you even get it out of the wrapper!

You know, I remember Clark bars, but I can't for the life of me remember what they were like. I think I only got Zeros and Zagnuts. Maybe the occasional Payday after my palate was mature enough to appreciate that whole salty/sweet thing.
octopus
Cheeseburger
RE: milkshake bar 2005/07/15 17:47:46
Milkshake Bar, I haven't had one of them since like 1980 when I played Little League Baseball, the field had frozen bars at the consession stand.
You can still buy Clark Bars, they are manufactured by Necco, in NY they can be had at Rite Aid drug Stores.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: milkshake bar 2005/07/15 19:22:55
That was the Hollywood Milk Shake candy bar, I believe. I liked them very much.
sizz_leteen
Cheeseburger
RE: milkshake bar 2005/07/20 14:14:52
Clark Bars, Zagnuts, and Zero bars I've all seen very recently up here, though only in specialty candy shops.
If anyone is interested in a little trip down memory lane, you can check out http://sugarmountain.net/ , the best place for candy in Ontario. They have just about everything. If you can't make the trip to Canada, they can ship candies directly to you.
John In Seattle
Hamburger
RE: milkshake bar 2005/08/13 16:01:48
Didn't Hollywood candies also make a bar called "butternut"?
EricT
Junior Burger
RE: milkshake bar 2005/08/13 17:56:25
Success! (sort of). Since the time I started reading this thread, and today, someone sent me a web site that specializes in pictures of old cereal boxes, old candy, etc.

So here's a picture of the Milk Shake Bar! And it was made by Hollywood:
http://www.theimaginaryworld.com/nwca19.jpg

Also, go to the main page to see what else this person has recorded.
RB0012Hero
Junior Burger
RE: milkshake bar 2005/08/16 13:51:57


Hello!

I remember having Milk Shake candy bars—malted nougat inside milk chocolate; I started eating those back around the 1970s, when my family went to Spring Cove (on U-201 in Gardiner, Maine—now a long-gone memory...) for swimming—I bought 'em at their snack bar next to the road.

RB0012Hero

Diner-Lover
Cheeseburger
RE: milkshake bar 2005/08/16 14:24:01
quote:
Originally posted by John In Seattle

Didn't Hollywood candies also make a bar called "butternut"?

I remember seeing that candy bar years ago-- and maybe I even ate one once-- but I cannot remember what it was like. Can anyone tell me what was in a Butternut Bar?
Diner-Lover
Cheeseburger
RE: milkshake bar 2005/08/16 14:41:39
quote:
Originally posted by EricT

Success! (sort of). Since the time I started reading this thread, and today, someone sent me a web site that specializes in pictures of old cereal boxes, old candy, etc.

So here's a picture of the Milk Shake Bar! And it was made by Hollywood:
http://www.theimaginaryworld.com/nwca19.jpg

Also, go to the main page to see what else this person has recorded.

Thanks for the link to that site. I've just spent the last 10 minutes looking at old packaging for foods I grew up with it, and I'm reeling from all the memories those packages evoke from so many years ago. And I've barely scratched the surface, there are so many categories and packaging to explore. (How does a person collect all this stuff anyway?)

Okay. I'm feeling very old right now....
slade1955
Junior Burger
RE: milkshake bar 2005/09/20 19:13:52
Hershey makes the Zero Bar and Payday which both were made by the Hollywood Candy Company. Hollywood also made the Milk Shake Bar. And I remember my friends and I would always buy them at the local 7 Eleven. Its a shame Hershey dosen't make the Milk Shake Bar.
KimChee43
Cheeseburger
RE: milkshake bar 2005/09/20 19:25:27
quote:
Originally posted by slade1955

Hershey makes the Zero Bar and Payday which both were made by the Hollywood Candy Company. Hollywood also made the Milk Shake Bar. And I remember my friends and I would always buy them at the local 7 Eleven. Its a shame Hershey dosen't make the Milk Shake Bar.


I used to enjoy Payday and Milk Shake bars when I was a kid. It's been my experience that whenever a company changes hands, the product never tastes as good as it did before.
PhenoBarbieDahl
Hamburger
RE: milkshake bar 2005/10/06 14:28:46
Oh man....haven't thought of a Milkshake bar in years. We used to freeze 'em and then smash 'em into little shards to eat...so good. *drools*
whotony
Junior Burger
RE: milkshake bar 2006/04/11 00:15:05
there is currently A milkshake flavor ltd ed kit kat making the rounds.
its a malt shake flavor.
Sosillyb
Junior Burger
RE: milkshake bar 2006/10/28 13:42:25
The commercial that has the slogun "it's thickerer" is from a 70's commercial for the Chunky Candy Bar. Remember, a dad and son around 7 were sitting in a chair together watching tv and the dad asks what candy bar it is and the kid says "it's a Chunky, it's thickerer". Just thought you'd like to know.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: milkshake bar 2006/10/28 14:13:31
Back in '63-64, there was also a frozen concoction that you could either eat with a spoon or let it thaw out & it would become a milkshake. Anyone else remember these?

ALSO. Welcome to RF, Sosilly
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
RE: milkshake bar 2006/10/28 16:56:03
Was that frozen concoction a malt cup of some kind? I remember something like it.
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
RE: milkshake bar 2006/10/30 21:56:22
quote:
Originally posted by ChiTownDiner

Was that frozen concoction a malt cup of some kind? I remember something like it.

That was known as a "Frosty Malt." My dad sold them at his drug store in the 50's and I ate more than my share.

CSD
frogger67
Cheeseburger
RE: milkshake bar 2006/11/07 17:03:16
quote:
Originally posted by lisajocole

Did they used to have a t.v. commericial for Milkshake bars that had a little kid saying "it's thickerer, yeah, thickerer" ??? I used to love those bars but can't rememeber if that's the one that went with the commercial. Were they kind of thick with air bubbles in the chocolate?


The chocolate bar with the air bubbles was called Choco-Lite and was one of my favorites. It had a "far out" candy wrapper that looked like something out of Willy Wonka. I remember it being promoted as "less fattening" than the average chocolate bar, but it was sure good!
kisscat69
Junior Burger
RE: milkshake bar 2007/08/01 17:57:38
quote:
Originally posted by marcbla

when i wes a kid i remember a candy bar called milkshake, i don't remember what was in it but it tasted really good when frozen, anybody remember this?

Hershey bought out the hollywood candy company in 1996. they kept making the Zero and Payday bars. I contacted hershey by email yesterday and am waiting for a response as to weather they got the recipe for the milkshake bar as part of the purchase. I will let ev1 know what i find out. I too would like to see them bring the chocolate milkshake bar back.
rumsongirl
Junior Burger
RE: milkshake bar 2007/08/25 00:12:48
i use to get the milkshake bar at the beach, frozen....loved them....if memory serves me, the last one i had was in the early 70's
kisscat69
Junior Burger
RE: milkshake bar 2007/08/25 21:02:33
quote:
Originally posted by kisscat69

quote:
Originally posted by marcbla

when i wes a kid i remember a candy bar called milkshake, i don't remember what was in it but it tasted really good when frozen, anybody remember this?

Hershey bought out the hollywood candy company in 1996. they kept making the Zero and Payday bars. I contacted hershey by email yesterday and am waiting for a response as to weather they got the recipe for the milkshake bar as part of the purchase. I will let ev1 know what i find out. I too would like to see them bring the chocolate milkshake bar back.

i got a response from hershey and here it is:

Thank you for contacting The Hershey Company. Your comments about The
Hershey Company are important.

Unfortunately we do not have any information about a Milkshake bar.
Your interest in our company is appreciated.

Xaviera Murph
Consumer Representative

Well I'll just have to keep looking some one has to have the recipe


Rudedude
Junior Burger
RE: milkshake bar 2008/01/10 07:51:29
quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

Back in '63-64, there was also a frozen concoction that you could either eat with a spoon or let it thaw out & it would become a milkshake. Anyone else remember these?

ALSO. Welcome to RF, Sosilly


Could you be thinking of Choc-O-Malt's. I used to get these at the local drug store. You had to remember to grab one of the paper wrapped wooden spoons to eat it.
Big_g
Cheeseburger
RE: milkshake bar 2008/01/10 08:23:41
Just stumbled on to this site.... http://www.candywrappermuseum.com/hollywood.html

Kinda fun, enjoy the walk down memory lane.
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
RE: milkshake bar 2008/01/11 12:25:37
quote:
Originally posted by chicagostyledog

quote:
Originally posted by ChiTownDiner

Was that frozen concoction a malt cup of some kind? I remember something like it.

That was known as a "Frosty Malt." My dad sold them at his drug store in the 50's and I ate more than my share.

CSD


In the lyrics from "A Dying Cubs Fan's Last Request" by Steve Goodman, you find the following line: "Give every fan two bags of peanuts and a frosty malt and I'll be ready to die."
http://www.chicagosuburbannews.com/geneva/archive/x982344293 and don't forget the wooden spoon.

CSD
ohiomom
Junior Burger
RE: milkshake bar 2008/01/28 16:01:44





quote:
Originally posted by kisscat69

quote:
Originally posted by kisscat69

quote:
Originally posted by marcbla

when i wes a kid i remember a candy bar called milkshake, i don't remember what was in it but it tasted really good when frozen, anybody remember this?

Hershey bought out the hollywood candy company in 1996. they kept making the Zero and Payday bars. I contacted hershey by email yesterday and am waiting for a response as to weather they got the recipe for the milkshake bar as part of the purchase. I will let ev1 know what i find out. I too would like to see them bring the chocolate milkshake bar back.

i got a response from hershey and here it is:

Thank you for contacting The Hershey Company. Your comments about The
Hershey Company are important.

Unfortunately we do not have any information about a Milkshake bar.
Your interest in our company is appreciated.

Xaviera Murph
Consumer Representative

Well I'll just have to keep looking some one has to have the recipe





Hey I DO remember the Milkshake candybars. The commerical went " Milkshake...boom boom....milkshake...boom boom....the___________ candy bar. I think there were 2 cows on it with pink grass skirts." I DO SO MISS and loved them very much.
waltpiii
Cheeseburger
RE: milkshake bar 2008/01/28 16:37:56
quote:
Originally posted by ChiTownDiner

Was that frozen concoction a malt cup of some kind? I remember something like it.


No, this is a candy bar. I do remember the frozen cup, but I do not recall the name.

Walt
chavette
Junior Burger
RE: milkshake bar 2008/01/30 09:28:39
Milkshake bars sound a bit gross...
I prefer good old chocolate bars any day!
Which do you guys like best? i did a poll with the major snack bars, just go to the link and vote for your favorite: http://www.pollsb.com/polls/poll/5969/which-chocolate-bar
Ivyhouse
Cheeseburger
RE: milkshake bar 2008/01/30 09:42:55
I grew up on Long Island, NY in the 50's and 60's. A frozen Milkshake bar was a treat that we got at the concession when we went to the beach. My recollection is that it was similar to a 3 Musketeers bar.
waltpiii
Cheeseburger
RE: milkshake bar 2008/01/30 09:57:42
quote:
Originally posted by Ivyhouse

I grew up on Long Island, NY in the 50's and 60's. A frozen Milkshake bar was a treat that we got at the concession when we went to the beach. My recollection is that it was similar to a 3 Musketeers bar.


I agree but the taste was more like a malt.

Walt
blundy40610
Junior Burger
RE: milkshake bar 2008/07/08 22:32:58
Today, I was just talking to a co-worker about this very nummy subject. I can add the Milkshake frozen candybar came on a stick. If you were lucky the stick would have a free stamped on it. You know what that would mean. Your next frozen milkshake bar was free.
Does anyone remember the Seven-Up Candy Bar? Another one of my favorites along with Black Jack Gum. Kids now-a-days don't know what they are missing.

Casey3557
Junior Burger
RE: milkshake bar 2008/07/17 11:06:33
Originally posted by anchovies

If I remember correctly, Clark bars tasted like peanut butter covered in chocolate. They remind me of the texture of a Butterfinger

Clark Bars tasted a lot like 5th Avenue bars, which are still available. The original Clark Bars are still available around here (Philly metro area), but they do not taste quite as good as they used to, IMHO.
denim
Junior Burger
RE: milkshake bar 2008/08/05 15:44:12
Greetings! I just signed up so I could participate in this thread.

Milkshake bars were neat. I last saw them in a vending machine in 1993. Since they weren't frozen, they weren't very popular there. I tried to tell people they needed to freeze them, but with, shall we say, limited success. Oh well.

I first saw them in the mid-1970s near Cleveland.
uncledaveyo
Double Cheeseburger
RE: milkshake bar 2008/08/05 16:14:15
quote:
Originally posted by chicagostyledog

quote:
Originally posted by ChiTownDiner

Was that frozen concoction a malt cup of some kind? I remember something like it.

That was known as a "Frosty Malt." My dad sold them at his drug store in the 50's and I ate more than my share.

CSD


"Frosted Malt" - the container said "sip it with a straw, eat it with a spoon..."
donjazone
Junior Burger
Re:milkshake bar 2011/04/14 20:26:51
Milkshake bars are my all-time favorite candy bar.  I never had one frozen, but they were good at room temp, for sure.
DavidEMartin
Cheeseburger
Re:milkshake bar 2011/05/31 11:45:32
My friends and I discovered frozen Milkshake bars in 5th grade (1966-7). There was a Mom-n-Pop at the 260th Ave bus stop near Euclid High. Being kids, we'd go looking for something to eat after All-City Choir rehearsal, even though we were all on our way home to dinner. The store had a freezer in the front and we found the Milkshake Bars sitting there with sticks inserted. I don't remember who tried one first but we all became converts.
Three Musketeers frozen.... just not as good. Halloway must have become aware of their sales as a frozen treat. They sold 6-packs of the bars with six wooden sticks included.