AP Cookies Help...

CX747
  • Total Posts : 38
  • Reward points : 0
AP Cookies Help... - Sun, 08/8/04 6:06 AM
Hello, today I found a recipe for "AP Cookies" amongst my Grandmother's old cookbooks (PA Dutch Cookbook). Does anyone know what AP stands for? The recipe is as follows:

Mix together:
3 c. flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 c. light brown sugar
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt

Add and mix well:
1 stick of soft margarine

Add: 1/2 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix together to make a soft dough.
Take small lumps and roll in the palm of your hand, press onto a cookie sheet into about 1/4 inch rounds.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 12-15 minutes.

None of the ingredients would seem to fit the "AP" in the title. Does anyone know? The cookies themselves turned out great. I baked them for 12 minutes and they turned out soft and chewy. Use butter if you're going to give them a try. I did...I'm not a big fan of margarine.

Thanks in advance,
Chris H.

zataar
  • Total Posts : 1440
RE: AP Cookies Help... - Sun, 08/8/04 5:01 PM
When I was in junior high home economics we did a very similar cookie dough called all - purpose cookies. You had one basic dough that you could add chocolate chips, raisins, nuts, oatmeal or some of each. Later on we would add m&ms or chocolate covered raisins. Maybe your grandmother's recipe is along that line. The ingredients are pretty much the same, but if I remember correctly, in school we did indeed use margarine.

RubyRose
  • Total Posts : 2187
RE: AP Cookies Help... - Sun, 08/8/04 6:18 PM
Edna Eby Heller, who is in my opinion one of the most knowledgable authors on PA Dutch cooking, has this to say about A.P's cookies:

"This sugar cookie has much folklore connected with it. Did Ann Page cut her initials on the cookies she sold on the streets of Philadelphia? This is supposed to be the recipe for the cookies she sold. Who Knows? Maybe it is and maybe it isn't."

Her recipe is different than yours but is called A.P. Cookies.

zataar
  • Total Posts : 1440
RE: AP Cookies Help... - Sun, 08/8/04 9:59 PM
Ruby, As soon as I saw your reply, I had to call my mother. We always shopped at our local A & P Supermarket when I was a child. When I asked her about Ann Page, she said that many cookies and baked things were labeled the "Ann Page" brand. Donuts, sweet rolls, cookies and other items. I do remember coffee, something like 4 O'Clock, but my mother said that didn't have the Ann Page label. She also remembered a cookie recipe, similar to CX7474's, but I sure don't! Only 8th grade home ec. all purpose cookie dough.

ocdreamr
  • Total Posts : 1109
RE: AP Cookies Help... - Sun, 08/8/04 10:41 PM
zataar,

The coffe is eight o'clock & Super Fresh still sells it. For years it was one of the few brands where you could buy whole bean coffee. You could grind it in the store or take it home whole. I'm not sure it is an A&P brand though. Seems to me I have on occasion seen it elsewhere. I'm not a coffee drinker myself but it was my Mother's favorite brand.

6star
  • Total Posts : 4388
RE: AP Cookies Help... - Mon, 08/9/04 12:42 AM
quote:
Originally posted by ocdreamr

zataar,

The coffe is eight o'clock & Super Fresh still sells it....... I'm not sure it is an A&P brand though. Seems to me I have on occasion seen it elsewhere.

Originally it was an A & P brand, (see this website: http://www.rusticdecorating.com/-1001.html ), but now it is distributed by others (see this website: http://www.antiquecoffee.com/8_oclock.htm ).

CX747
RE: AP Cookies Help... - Mon, 08/9/04 5:56 AM
zataar and RubyRose,

Thanks for the responses. The "All-Purpose" cookie would seem to make sense as this cookie is pretty basic and can be made with most things around the house. Thank you both for looking into the Ann Page issue. Its really quite intriguing. When I initially saw the title of the recipe, the only thing I could think of was A & P supermarket but when I asked my mom if they had any type of "exclusive" cookie that she remembers, she said not, so I put that idea by the wayside.

Btw RubyRose, I went ahead and ordered myself the book by Edna Edy Heller that you mentioned. From what I read, her PA Dutch cookbook appears to be a classic...should get it from Amazon by Wednesday or so.

Oh and about the cookie question...the main reason for asking this question was because I made them for a bake sale and was unsure what to label them. I know I wouldn't have been able to field questions about what the A.P. meant so I just labeled them, "Breakfast Sugar Cookies" and all four dozen sold quickly. These cookies are great for dunking in coffee so were popular amongst the older adults.

And, about the eight o'clock coffee at Superfresh, isn't the smell of the coffee being ground superb? I love it! Even though I have no taste for coffee, the smell is wonderful. While, we're talking about Superfresh, I remember as a child that when they used to sell single big dill pickles in a wooden barrel and that smell was great as well...oh, brings back so many childhood memories

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Kindest Regards,
Chris

RubyRose
  • Total Posts : 2187
RE: AP Cookies Help... - Mon, 08/9/04 7:47 AM
Chris - I think the website below is the best one for PA Dutch cooking. Most of the recipes are almost identical to the way our family makes them. They call the cookies Apies Cookies.

http://teriskitchen.com/padutch.html#cookies

CX747
RE: AP Cookies Help... - Mon, 08/9/04 8:40 AM
Thanks Ruby,

I just bookmarked it. I haven't seen that website before. YUM, chicken pot pie (the 'real' kind that us folks in PA grew up with) sounds like a great supper for tonight. Can't wait...

Chris

meowzart
  • Total Posts : 773
RE: AP Cookies Help... - Mon, 08/9/04 1:29 PM
Ruby--that site is great!! Thanks!!!

JaneDough
  • Total Posts : 127
RE: AP Cookies Help... - Mon, 08/9/04 6:03 PM
I'd have to go along w/ zataar's theory. I use "AP" as recipe shorthhand for all-purpose flour, so it makes sense that a basic cookie dough would earn the same generic title.