Hot!Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts?

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
tfrielin
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 440
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2007/11/30 10:08:07 (permalink)

Didn't Morton's use a Kentucky Colonel type character (played by a real person/actor) as the spokesman for their frozen fried chicken dinners? That and their honeybuns are what I remember most about Morton's frozen foods. Thanks for reviving memories of a great, but now sadly departed product line.
ayersian
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 900
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2007/11/30 23:45:15 (permalink)
I microwaved a semi-stale glazed donut from Donut Dip in East Longmeadow, Mass. yesterday as a snack. One bite of that warm cake, and it immediately reminded me of hot-from-the-oven Morton's cinnamon-sugar donuts, which my childhood friend Richie and I ate constantly at his house (god bless your mother for always having them in your freezer, Richie!). Sounds like we all have powerful recall images of those little gems in our heads!
waltpiii
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 412
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2007/12/01 08:34:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ayersian

I microwaved a semi-stale glazed donut from Donut Dip in East Longmeadow, Mass. yesterday as a snack. One bite of that warm cake, and it immediately reminded me of hot-from-the-oven Morton's cinnamon-sugar donuts, which my childhood friend Richie and I ate constantly at his house (god bless your mother for always having them in your freezer, Richie!). Sounds like we all have powerful recall images of those little gems in our heads!

Apple Cider donuts warmed in the microwave are mighty tasty as well.

Walt
allyk
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 154
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2007/12/07 16:08:22 (permalink)
I was just thinking about Morton frozen donuts today. What a blast from the past! My mother would buy them for a school day special treat. We kids loved them. I remember the TV ad: "Morton is turning my house into a donut shop!" We also had the occasional Morton frozen dinner, and the boil-in-bag turkey and roast beef with gravy was a staple when I was in college. I cooked them in a hot pot. They were pretty good over toast.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4059
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2007/12/17 18:40:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Debra101

I live in Charlottesville, Va. and you're right..Morton's DID have a thrift store in Crozet. You could buy anything from TV dinners to 10 lb. bags of their frozen chicken. My family would go at least once a month and stock our freezer. I certainly do remember those wonderful little frozen donuts. The cinnamon sugar ones right out of the oven would just melt in your mouth. The frozen honey buns were great too. Oh for the good 'ole days..lol. Morton's did sell out I believe to Conagra. The building in Crozet now belongs to The Dave Matthews Band. Wonder if Dave ejoyed their donuts as well...

This is why I love ROADFOOD! When (1969-72) I was earning my graduate degrees in economics at The University of Virginia we (the starter wife and I) actually bought a $139 Sears upright freezer to keep the goodies from the Crozet Thrift store! Their damaged crust pot pies were a nickel each and we enjoyed many a 20 cent dinner (our $95/month 2 BR in Copeley Hill - still extant graduate student housing - included utilities). And I do remember the nearly free donuts as being quite tasty.
drpep
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 335
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2008/01/01 21:23:59 (permalink)
Within the last 3 years I remember seeing Wegmans frozen glazed donuts at Wegmans, of course.
Garland Pollard
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2008/01/23 18:52:10 (permalink)
It's great to see that folks are still looking for the Morton products. I wrote a post about Morton and its history on my blog BrandlandUSA, and have found that it is the most searched for keyword that folks use to find my blog. Folks everywhere are still searching for these donuts. Mostly, they are searching for "Morton Donut" but very often it is "Morton Honey Buns".

If you would like to read the post, as well as see a photo of their cream pies, the link is below. I was thinking about starting some sort of petition campaign to bring them back, but I guess spreading the word is enough.
brandlandusa.blogspot.com/2007/07/mortons-honey-buns.html
tfrielin
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 440
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2008/01/24 10:03:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Garland Pollard

It's great to see that folks are still looking for the Morton products. I wrote a post about Morton and its history on my blog BrandlandUSA, and have found that it is the most searched for keyword that folks use to find my blog. Folks everywhere are still searching for these donuts. Mostly, they are searching for "Morton Donut" but very often it is "Morton Honey Buns".

If you would like to read the post, as well as see a photo of their cream pies, the link is below. I was thinking about starting some sort of petition campaign to bring them back, but I guess spreading the word is enough.
brandlandusa.blogspot.com/2007/07/mortons-honey-buns.html

It's great to see someone trying to revive a lost comfort food group--I too consumed many gross tons of Morton honey buns, TV dinners, and doughnuts in my childhood.

Roadfood and comfort foodies may also be interested in knowing that another "lost" comfort food staple--Kraft Pizza Mixes--are still actually available, but only in Canada.

They disappeared from the grocery shelves in the US in the mid-'80s after being around (and a staple of my youthful diet) since at least the early/mid '60s.

But for some reason, Kraft still markets them in Canada. and thanks to the Internet, you can have them shipped to you via this website:

http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Standard disclaimer: I in no way profit off of either the website of Kraft Canada. I just love Kraft Pizza mixes!

renesis
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2008/04/25 20:27:14 (permalink)
I, like the original poster, used to eat these yummy little cinnamon sugar donuts for breakfast and today when I was in the grocery store, they popped into my head. I asked my fiancé if she remembered them, or if she had ever even seen them since she is 10 years younger than me, but she hadn't. I didn't know that Morton's had been sold and that's too bad because once you get a craving for something like that, it is hard to kick.
DavidEMartin
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 173
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2008/05/01 13:57:17 (permalink)
In regards to everyone reminiscing about the wonderful experience of the cinnamon donuts warm from the oven--- anyone else eat the things frozen straight from the freezer?
Sometimes I just could not wait.
cbtandem
Junior Burger
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2008/07/03 13:13:18 (permalink)
It seems several of us associate Morton's cinnamon donuts with Christmas morning! I looked for them for years after they were discontinued.
magcentric
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 80
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2008/07/04 03:31:00 (permalink)
Oh, yeah! I remember that day back in 1977 when mom served us those! I guess it was
a special treat because we never had them again.
brittneal
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1265
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2008/07/04 06:18:09 (permalink)
I seem fo remember Mortons TV dinners from way back.
The 1st thing that popped in my head was the guy in rain gear on the box of fish dticks, From their site I couldnt find any sweets, just seafood,
britt
DavidEMartin
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 173
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2008/07/10 10:44:26 (permalink)
That's GORTON's (of Gloucester).
DLnWPBrown
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 832
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2008/07/10 11:38:19 (permalink)
FYI, Aldi's sells their brand of individually wrapped glazed doughnuts in their freezer section. The box holds 12 and I think I paid $1.99. Taste just like the originals by Morton's.

Dennis in Cary
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2008/07/10 11:39:11 (permalink)
How about Chock Full of Nuts great frozen donuts.....
fivedonahues
Junior Burger
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2008/08/02 18:38:12 (permalink)
I was feeling like a snack tonight, something really great... thought back to the best tasting sweet I'd ever had... Morton frozen Cinnamon Donuts... put a search out for them, hoping to order cases of them online and found this forum... I am in mourning over that letter saying they are no longer produced. However, I do have the second best tasting thing I have ever had... MY T Fine chocolate pudding.. Only thing that can console me, thank god I have some.
fivedonahues
Junior Burger
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2008/08/02 18:47:31 (permalink)
forgot to add: just about any donut microwaved will give you a very similar flavor to Mortons.. Heat on high for 10 sec's, yum.
Zippster
Junior Burger
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2008/11/12 19:10:52 (permalink)
Hello everyone! Stumbled across this website by accident and glad I did. Many memories of past, present, and hopefully future products, restaurants, and the like found. I recall a poster mentioning a "Colonel" type of character representing Morton's. I recall a "Colonel Morton," a much younger looking version of the KFC Col. I also seem to recall that the Morton's product line was a staple of many "non or small chain food stores." Looking forward to future participation in Roadfood.
sonic
Junior Burger
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2008/11/20 13:09:29 (permalink)
It amazes me that other humans are familiar with these scrumpdillyicious Morton mini donuts. I recall me & my 4 older brothers having these several days out of the week. Thank the lord my Father owned a shoe store & could afford to replenish our Morton's stock & that my dear Mother was always willing to wake up & prepare our morning quick fix before taking off to school. The "glazed" were equal to today "krispy kremes". As far as my memory after all these years, nuttin compares to Morton! Wish they would bring them back....Thanks for sharing this topic! I agree, I'm Nuts in Kansas!
Ms Pixie
Junior Burger
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2008/12/10 21:30:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BostonChowHound

I remember having these as a kid before heading to school. They came in a brown box, probably 18 to a box, but they were "mini". Just enough for my brother, sister & I to wolf 'em down before school. The "glazed" variety were doughy, not unlike a Krispy Kreme. I vaguely recall a cake-like sugar/cinammon variety as well.

Does anybody else remember these? My brother, sister & mother all think I'm nuts.
Ms Pixie
Junior Burger
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2008/12/10 21:31:21 (permalink)
Yes! I remember them, my mom would fix them before church on Sunday mornings. Do they still make them? I have check at several stores but no luck.....
quote:
Originally posted by BostonChowHound

I remember having these as a kid before heading to school. They came in a brown box, probably 18 to a box, but they were "mini". Just enough for my brother, sister & I to wolf 'em down before school. The "glazed" variety were doughy, not unlike a Krispy Kreme. I vaguely recall a cake-like sugar/cinammon variety as well.

Does anybody else remember these? My brother, sister & mother all think I'm nuts.
Bigapetite
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 54
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2008/12/10 21:47:55 (permalink)
Many years ago I worked for a frozen food distributor which later became one of the founding companies later to be known as the Sysco corporation.

Morton's had a large cross section of products, Pot Pie's, TV Dinners, Cream pies, Frozen Bread Dough, Honey Buns and Donuts. Unfortunately they were always to be the Burger King of frozen fast food.
What brought there demise I'm not sure of but boy do I miss those Honey Buns
wlbrown66
Junior Burger
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2008/12/14 21:36:50 (permalink)
I remember the mini cinnamon donuts like it was yesterday! My sister, my aunt (she was only two years older than I), and I would have them for breakfast before school. I also remeber the box having a photo of the donuts with a dark backround and the letters were simple rounded block style red and organge letters that said 'morton's mini donuts'. The box had one of those perforated 'zip' things that went all around three sides of the box so when you zipped it open, the box had a little lid that you would open and there were the donuts all lined up on thier sides...man, talk about opening up a treasure chest! I also remember there being 24 in a box, but many on here have said there were 18. At any rate, we all three would watch each other like a hawk to be sure we all got the same number of donuts. I also remember that if they were left in the oven just a hair too long, the bottoms would get hard and too brown. I was so excited when microwaves came around so that we didn't have to worry about that anymore. I have looked for those in stores and online for years with no luck. I guess the older we get we try to recapture some of our youth.
CpSpalding
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2008/12/14 22:26:36 (permalink)
Wow this brings back memories of both the jelly and mini-cinnamon variety. I remember watching The Pink Panther cartoon as a kid waiting for my mom to finish cooking them. When I was in college I found a box at the Kroegers--this was 1987. It was quite good even then.
baconeater
Junior Burger
Re:Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2009/01/03 00:22:39 (permalink)
I've been searching for Morton's frozen donuts for years.  I figured they just weren't available here in California.  I remember having them as a kid on the East Coast in the 70s.  We'd have them in the winter when it was snowy. 

I totally forgot about the honey buns until I saw them mentioned here.

Like others, I stumbled across this forum while Googling for "frozen donuts".  I was so sad to read that they're no longer available.  Nothing tastes like them.

Stan V
Junior Burger
Re:Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2009/01/07 23:48:44 (permalink)
I have gotten a total kick from this thread about Morton's and their frozen donuts and desserts!  I worked for them from 1972 - 1980, even relocating from Rye, NY to Charlottesvile when George Mrdeza moved the entire division (of ITT-CBC).  I was the Group Leader, of Dessert Products, in R&D.  When I joined Mortons's, they already had those great Mini Donuts (I know the secret of the flavor!) Honey Buns, Creme Pies, and Fruit Pies.  I helped add the yeast raised donuts, cake donuts, donut holes, mini fruit pies, mini creme pies, and mini cheesecakes!    Many hours were spent in Crozet and Russellville, working with a really great group of Production managers!  One of the best jobs i ever had!!  If you want to know anything about their products, how they were formulated, processed, or marketed, just ask.    Stan                                                                                                      
drpep
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 335
Re:Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2009/01/08 20:50:34 (permalink)
 I'll ask. What was "the secret of the flavor"?
Stan V
Junior Burger
Re:Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2009/01/09 00:22:26 (permalink)
drpep

I'll ask. What was "the secret of the flavor"?

In addition to cinnamon in the sugar, a smaller part of mace oil and nutmeg oil, equal parts, was added.  That really made it standout.
rkofood
Junior Burger
Re:Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2009/02/24 16:59:29 (permalink)
TastyKake still makes mini-cini's that you can then freeze. 32 seconds on high gets them just right. hard to find (last seen in phillipsburg PA truckstop) but when i see them I buy as many boxes as they have.

enjoy.
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1