Got a few emails from those looking for a recipe for Black Bottom Pie. I searched, and this one sounds identical to the famous Toddle House Black Bottom Pie: chocolate cookie crumb crust, chocolate layer, vanilla layer w/rum or rum flavoring, whipped cream on top, and then decorated with shaved chocolate. Hope some of you will give it a try & report back!
"A 'more rum than most' Black Bottom Pie"
Original recipe yield: 1 - 9 inch pie.
• 1 (9 inch) chocolate cookie (wafer) crumb crust
• 1 (.25 ounce) package unflavored gelatin
• 1 tablespoon cornstarch
• 1 1/4 cups white sugar
• 1 3/4 cups milk
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 4 egg yolks
• 1 1/3 cups semisweet chocolate chips
• 1/2 cup rum (or use rum flavoring extract)
• 4 egg whites
• 1/4 cup cold water
1. Dissolve gelatin in cold water, and set aside.
2. In a small saucepan, mix cornstarch, 3/4 cup sugar, milk, and egg yolks. Cook, stirring, until bubbly and thick. Remove from heat, and add vanilla. Divide mixture in half. Add chocolate chips to one half, and stir until melted and smooth. Pour into pastry shell. Chill.
3. Stir gelatin mixture into the other half of the hot egg yolk mixture. Stir in rum. Chill until slightly thick.
4. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 1/2 cup sugar, and beat to stiff peaks. Fold into partially set gelatin/rum mixture. Chill until mix will mound, then spoon into pie shell on top of chocolate layer. Chill overnight.
5. Mound whipped cream over pie
6. Shave chocolate over whipped cream before cutting to serve