Cioppino

MikeS.
  • Total Posts : 5360
  • Reward points : 0
Cioppino - Sun, 08/15/04 12:57 AM
Do any of you make cioppino or buy a packaged cioppino sauce? My mom made great sauce but it was a 2 day affair that I just don't have time for. I found a jarred sauce called Paladini brand on the web last night and I'm wondering if any of you have tried it?

Thanks,

MikeS.

jellybear
  • Total Posts : 1135
RE: Cioppino - Sun, 08/15/04 11:22 AM
I make it all the time,the thing is to make it the day before and let the flavors mingle over nite

Adjudicator
  • Total Posts : 5055
RE: Cioppino - Sun, 08/15/04 11:34 AM
quote:
Originally posted by jellybear

I make it all the time,the thing is to make it the day before and let the flavors mingle over nite

AND of course you are going to share your recipe, right

BT
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Cioppino - Sun, 08/15/04 12:22 PM
Haven't tried their cioppino sauce and frankly it's hard to imagine not making cioppino with fresh ingredients, but I have used their tartar sauce and it was very good.

If you try it and don't like it, here's another brand: http://www.thesmartshops.com/phils_fish_market/store.cfm?ProductID=14726&do=detail

And here's a site with 20 different recipes to make your own: http://www.thegutsygourmet.net/cioppino-rec.html

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6217
RE: Cioppino - Mon, 08/16/04 2:01 AM
Make the cioppino base from scratch......nothing can compare to it.

EdSails
  • Total Posts : 3555
RE: Cioppino - Mon, 08/16/04 7:24 PM
I used to make my cioppino base from scratch and it was delicious. Several years ago Trader Joe's came out with Cioppino Sauce in a jar. After trtying it, I have never made my own again./ Tj's sauce is delicious-----inexpensive -----and really easy. The only thing I do different is add a splash of red wine to the sauce. It's great!

MikeS.
RE: Cioppino - Wed, 08/18/04 12:52 PM
The heirloom family sauce which is unbeatable takes A LOT of work and time. Something I just don't have a lot of. So I'm looking to cheat. What can I say...

santacruz
  • Total Posts : 372
RE: Cioppino - Wed, 08/18/04 1:10 PM
I second the TJ sauce recommendation. Also Trader Joe's has a great frozen seafood combo with different bits and pieces of Lobster,shrimp,crab etc. at a good price I add this to my sauce, it gives it a real deep seafood flavor.

MikeS.
RE: Cioppino - Thu, 08/19/04 11:54 AM
I've already located the Reston & Fairfax, Va. locations and plan on a stop next week when I'n down that way. Thanks axvawe for the tip on the seafood combo, I'll pick up a bag of that too.

MikeS.

Jennifer_4
  • Total Posts : 1508
RE: Cioppino - Thu, 08/19/04 12:39 PM
I'm a little embarrassed to say I have yet to have cioppino, even though I have access to it.. it's just that whenever I'm near a good seafood place, my first thought is to stuff myself with shrimp, lobster, or crab, prepared in a way that doesn't obscure what it is, preferably cold.
I did make a pot of bouillabase once... it was a disaster.

MikeS.
RE: Cioppino - Sun, 08/22/04 3:20 AM
Jennifer4, I don't know of anyplace in Fresno that makes a really good cioppino, at least not as of 6 years ago. As far as I'm concerned you have to go to Fisherman's wharf in SF. I liked what they served at Alioto's #9. But for really good stuff you need to make it at home. Cioppino is not cheap, wherever you eat it.

MikeS.

MikeS.
RE: Cioppino - Sun, 08/22/04 3:33 AM
I got my Paladini sauce and 4 8oz round loaves of Boudin sourdough bread UPS'd to me Friday. It was pricey but I guess worth it. I stopped at the local grocery that I like their seafood best at Saturday morning early. I bought 1.5lbs of Dungeness crab, 1 lb of orange roughy, 20 littleneck cherrystone clams and 2 #2 whole steamed blue crabs. I already had a big bag og U15 shrimp in the freezer from Costco.

About 3:30 Saturday afternoon I dumped the sauce into a big pot and added the 2 whole crabs and the body parts from the clusters plus 1 cup of white wine. I let this simmer for about an hour, stirring frequently. Just before 5 I put 2 loaves of the sourdough into the oven and added the clams to the sauce. I also added the crab legs and let them cook until the clams started opening. I pulled them out and the 2 whole crabs and added the fish and shrimp and let them cook for a few minutes.

Boy was this great! My oldest came over and joined in as well as the g'daughter. She's 3 and loves seafood. She ate a number of clams and wanted more. She decided that she could live with crab and shrimp and fish when the clams ran out.

Picky Peggy BTW had nachos from her favorite mexican place :(

Out of 52 ozs of sauce I have a couple cups left and a couple crab legs. Enough to buy more clams and fish Monday and do it again :):)

MikeS.
RE: Cioppino - Sun, 08/22/04 3:35 AM
Saturday morning I forgot to buy scallops. I will rectify that mistake Monday!

Jennifer_4
RE: Cioppino - Sun, 08/22/04 6:10 AM
quote:
Originally posted by MikeSh

Jennifer4, I don't know of anyplace in Fresno that makes a really good cioppino, at least not as of 6 years ago. As far as I'm concerned you have to go to Fisherman's wharf in SF. I liked what they served at Alioto's #9. But for really good stuff you need to make it at home. Cioppino is not cheap, wherever you eat it.

MikeS.

Pacific Seafood makes a credible version these days.. Monterey is also a good place for it.. especially during the Santa Rosalia festival.. Italian fishermen and all that....

jerseygirl127
  • Total Posts : 454
RE: Cioppino - Sun, 08/22/04 10:14 AM
i'm more embarrassed to admit i've never heard of it-- what is Cioppino ???

BT
RE: Cioppino - Sun, 08/22/04 11:48 AM
quote:
Originally posted by jerseygirl127

i'm more embarrassed to admit i've never heard of it-- what is Cioppino ???

Cioppino

This wonderful American fish stew hails from California, originally made by Italian-American (and some say Portuguese) fisherman along San Francisco's coast. In any case, Cioppino means "fish stew" in Genoese dialect. As with most fishermen stews, the ingredients aren't cast in stone--but rather a result of the day's cast. It's hard to beat James Beard's version in his New Fish Cookery , though you can certainly cut back on--or substitute for--the extravagance of seafood he recommends and still have a feast. Serve hot as a meal to 6-8, heavy on the red wine and garlic bread.

1sea bass or striped bass
1 pound shrimp
1 quart clams or mussels
1/4 pound dried porcini mushrooms
1 West Coast crab or lobster
3-4 tomatoes
1green pepper
1/2 cup olive oil
1 large onion , chopped
2 cloves garlic , chopped
3 Tablespoons parsley , chopped
1/3 cup tomato paste
1 pint red wine
salt and pepper

Start by soaking the mushrooms in cold water, then prepare the seafood. Cut the raw fish in serving-sized pieces. Shell and devein the shrimp, leaving the tails intact. Clean and steam the mussels or clams in a quart of water or stock for about 4-5 minutes (until the shells open) and save the liquid. Break the crab apart or cut the lobster in pieces.

Make the sauce. Heat the olive oil in a saucepan, then saute the onion, garlic, mushrooms, and green pepper and cook for 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook down for a minute or two, then add the tomato paste, the wine, and 4 cups of the mussel or clam broth. Salt and pepper to taste, cover, and let simmer for 30 minutes.

When ready to assemble, arrange the seafood in a large kettle: first the crab or lobster, then the fish, topped by the shrimp. Bring the sauce to a boil, then pour into the kettle, cover, and cook on low heat for 8 minutes. Toss in the mussels or clams (to reduce shell volume, you can wrench off and throw away half the shell before tossing in), cover, and heat for 2 more minutes.

Bring the kettle to the table and ladle out. Make sure everyone has big towels and nutcrackers and picks--it's a gloriously messy meal.

BT
RE: Cioppino - Sun, 08/22/04 12:00 PM
quote:

I got my Paladini sauce and 4 8oz round loaves of Boudin sourdough bread UPS'd to me Friday.

You seem to know a remarkable amount about SF foods, so you may simply prefer the better-known Boudin, but I'd like to suggest you (and anyone else planning to try this) consider Acme bread which I think is a lot better.

http://sfbread.com/Reviews/20030524-2/Review.php

Here is a possible source (and, in any case, there's a nice picture of the new Ferry Building food hall): http://www.ferrybuildingmarketplace.com/html/bakery___bread.html

Jennifer_4
RE: Cioppino - Sun, 08/22/04 1:10 PM
quote:
Originally posted by BT

quote:

I got my Paladini sauce and 4 8oz round loaves of Boudin sourdough bread UPS'd to me Friday.

You seem to know a remarkable amount about SF foods, so you may simply prefer the better-known Boudin, but I'd like to suggest you (and anyone else planning to try this) consider Acme bread which I think is a lot better.

http://sfbread.com/Reviews/20030524-2/Review.php

Here is a possible source (and, in any case, there's a nice picture of the new Ferry Building food hall): http://www.ferrybuildingmarketplace.com/html/bakery___bread.html

I'd like to second the suggestion of Acme.. although it might not be good with cioppino their whole grain breads are out of this world!

MikeS.
RE: Cioppino - Mon, 08/23/04 4:35 AM

Thanks BT, I did spend the first 41 years in Fresno which is a couple 3 hours SE of the city. My Mom and Dad loved it there and had several friends in the area. So we spent a lot of time there and I got to know the city pretty well.

I bought the Boudin brand because I know it and they have decent prices for a combo of bread and sauce. Cioppino just isn't worth having w/o the sourdough. Decent prices for 2nd day air clear across the country...It wasn't cheap.

It seems to me that the family usually bought Parisian (sp?) brand sourdough but memory has faded. I believe that it has a red, white & blue wrapper ???

MikeS.

BT
RE: Cioppino - Mon, 08/23/04 8:25 PM
quote:

I bought the Boudin brand because I know it and they have decent prices for a combo of bread and sauce. Cioppino just isn't worth having w/o the sourdough. Decent prices for 2nd day air clear across the country...It wasn't cheap.

It seems to me that the family usually bought Parisian (sp?) brand sourdough but memory has faded. I believe that it has a red, white & blue wrapper ???

MikeS.

Right about Parisian. But in recent years a lot of small "artisan" bakeries (as well as cheesemakers, chocolatiers etc etc) have sprung up and some of 'em, I think, are better than the old standbys like Boudin and Parisian. As I said, Acme's my personal favorite. Another is SemiFreddi and there are many more.

MikeS.
RE: Cioppino - Tue, 08/24/04 1:17 AM
I did make it to Trader Joe's Monday and bought 4 16oz jars of his cioppino sauce to have on hand. The ingridents sound right, I'll just have to see what the taste says.

I also bought some squid rings and tilapia fillets from there for the leftover sauce. Decent prices on his seafood and the jars of sauce.

MikeS.

kikipal
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Cioppino - Thu, 12/23/04 1:14 AM
To all of you out there that have enjoyed my Paladini Cioppino sauce...Thank you! I came accross this site and read some of your postings.
I was in the seafood business for over 25 years and my famly since 1865, and decided to come out with a quality line of sauces to enhance seafood. Thank you again for your kind remarks !
Achille Paladini
Paladini Quality Seafood Sauces
www.apaladini.com