• Total Posts : 63
  • Reward points : 0
BEER...in chili - Sat, 08/21/04 8:52 PM
What's the best beer to put in chili?

Bushie
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: BEER...in chili - Sat, 08/21/04 10:29 PM
Contrary to almost every chili cook on this board, I don't recommend beer in chili. I've been experimenting with chili recipes since I was a kid (I'll be 48 in Nov), and in my opinion, beer has always detracted from the flavor.

However, great chili cooks I've known have recommended these, in order:

Lone Star
Shiner
Budweiser

Sasaku
RE: BEER...in chili - Sun, 08/22/04 8:15 AM
OK, so what's the best liquid for chili?

Grillmeister
  • Total Posts : 204
RE: BEER...in chili - Sun, 08/22/04 9:19 AM
Bushie's right. Using beer for "the recipe" is what you tell your wife when you walk in with a case of Bud.
I use plain water in my chili and let the spices do their thing. You'll know you've done it right when your bowl of red develops a soul of its own.
Now, pash me shum mo of dat Lone Schtar burr.....

1bbqboy
  • Total Posts : 4542
RE: BEER...in chili - Sun, 08/22/04 3:29 PM
NEVER USE WATER! the secret ingredients are: V-8 juice, & beef base or beef bouillion. You can throw a can of Snap-e-tom in too, if you can stand the heat. I go both ways cuz the tom tends towards the vinegar side of things, which is...OK, sometimes. I'm one of those who never makes the same batch twice.
Beer: I'd go with a porter or brown ale, something heavy, not a "light beer". You have to let it sit out open to rid it of carbonation. you can steam the meat and spices by pouring in the beer along with the spices, and letting it cook down, the add the other stuff.
Bill

BT
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: BEER...in chili - Sun, 08/22/04 5:27 PM
quote:
Originally posted by bill voss

NEVER USE WATER! the secret ingredients are: V-8 juice, & beef base or beef bouillion.

Bill

I'm nearly as offended by the use of canned beef bouillion in anything as you are the use of water. IMHO, it has very little beef flavor but far too much SALT. The best thing, if you want beef flavor, would be a good demi-glace', and I have encountered those in gourmet markets recently. Short of that, there are an increasing number of chef-quality beef bases or frozen stocks being marketed--the most common being "Better Than Bouillion" (and it is!).

Or, you can make your own--just bake some meaty beef bones for 2 hours or so at maybe 300 degrees until they turn dark brown. Then throw 'em in a pot with a couple onions (unpeeled, but quartered), some carrots, some celery and any other veggie scraps you've got around (except maybe green pepper which can give an odd flavor to stock). Fill the pot with cold water, heat on the stove until it's simmering and put it in the oven (covered) at 225 degrees overnight or longer. Strain the resultant stock and voila!

If all this seems too hard and you are determined to use canned broth, I'd go with low-sodium chicken broth which is much better than any canned beef broth or bouillion.

Grampy
  • Total Posts : 1559
RE: BEER...in chili - Sun, 08/22/04 6:05 PM
To add to this stew, I reconstitute ancho and other dried peppers, and I put them in a blender with the liquid. That's all the liquid I ever really need. I like my chili (chile colorado) thick. A splash of chile pepper brine also adds a contrast. If using beer, I would go with half a bottle of Dos Equis dark.

BT
RE: BEER...in chili - Sun, 08/22/04 7:23 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Grampy

To add to this stew, I reconstitute ancho and other dried peppers, and I put them in a blender with the liquid. That's all the liquid I ever really need. I like my chili (chile colorado) thick. A splash of chile pepper brine also adds a contrast. If using beer, I would go with half a bottle of Dos Equis dark.

Well, that's probably the purist way to do it. We could get into this discussion about whether tomatoes belong in chili, but I'll just say that while I put 'em in mine and like it that way, I go along with those who argue they aren't "authentic".

Do you soak the dried peppers to "undry" them? Do you somehow skin them? I tried doing this once and ended up with little bits of dry, even sharp, pepper skin in my chili and I didn't like that.

Grampy
RE: BEER...in chili - Sun, 08/22/04 8:18 PM
Actually, I dry fry them before I reconstitute them, which makes the peel problem moot. And, in summer, I have absolutely no aversion to using my bounty of tomatoes for an "un-purist" but great chili.

Bushie
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: BEER...in chili - Sun, 08/22/04 8:30 PM
quote:

To add to this stew, I reconstitute ancho and other dried peppers, and I put them in a blender with the liquid.

That's exactly what I do, but I use Kitchen Basics beef stock as the liquid. Ancho is my pepper of choice for chili.

Grampy
RE: BEER...in chili - Sun, 08/22/04 10:50 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Bushie

quote:

To add to this stew, I reconstitute ancho and other dried peppers, and I put them in a blender with the liquid.

That's exactly what I do, but I use Kitchen Basics beef stock as the liquid. Ancho is my pepper of choice for chili.

I cheat with Minor's beef base. With all of the stock I make fresh, Minor's beef and chicken base are still lifesavers. And long live the Ancho!

UncleVic
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: BEER...in chili - Mon, 08/23/04 12:26 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Sasaku

I use V-8 as mentioned above, But I like to also use the juice from my stewed tomatos. I'll drain the can into the pot, then hand shred the tomatos into chunks and throw them in the pot also... As for the beef base deal, best I've used was in a commercial setting made by LeGout... Looks like black tar and has a really good flavor! But homecooking my chili, I just use a good ground sirloin and dont need any base added... Just whatever the kitchen cabinet and fridge have to offer!

1bbqboy
RE: BEER...in chili - Mon, 08/23/04 12:30 AM
I'll agree most beef bouillion is too salty, but there are a few beef bases that add some intensity without the salt. I never use canned. I'm usually making Chili for a family to eat so spending more time making stock than the dish it goes in isn't in the cards. Don't know Minor's, I'll have to look for it. I believe Kitchen Basics is the brand we get at Costco.
BT, I don't think I'm offended by using water, I was simply taught when I was a kid the Texas way and the Missouri way of making Chili, both of which involved similar techniques to all stated here. My dad added beans even though he was a born and bred Texan, but they were fresh pintos, so perfectly fine with me. Red, Kidney or Both in My family's Missouri version, but no beer.

Sasaku
RE: BEER...in chili - Mon, 08/23/04 8:13 AM
I used some Spicy V-8 juice and a can of homemade salsa.

BT
RE: BEER...in chili - Mon, 08/23/04 8:31 PM
quote:
Originally posted by UncleVic
As for the beef base deal, best I've used was in a commercial setting made by LeGout... Looks like black tar and has a really good flavor!

This is available at Smart & Final stores if anyone has access to those. In fact, they are a pretty good source for quite a few commercial restaurant supplies but are open to the general public. I shop there a lot.

berndog
  • Total Posts : 674
RE: BEER...in chili - Mon, 08/23/04 9:01 PM
I've made chili with and without beer, and to be honest, I don't think I could tell the difference over all the good spices and other flavors.

I would prefer to have my beer on the side, cold, as a chaser to the chili .

hermitt4d
  • Total Posts : 367
RE: BEER...in chili - Tue, 08/24/04 5:01 AM
quote:

When I was first teaching myself to cook and venturing beyond the recipes written down by my mother, I blundered across Wick Fowler's 2 Alarm Chili Mix in the grocery store and used it exclusively for years. It calls for 1 8oz. can of tomato sauce and 2 cans of water for 2 lbs. of meat.

I was very surprised many years later to discover some people have issues with the use of any tomatoes in chili and the opinions are as strong as those concerning beans. I've only made chili once or twice without tomato sauce, and I definitely prefer tomato sauce over whole tomato products, but I have had some very good bowls of chili that I don't think had any tomato product in them.

In the late 60s and 70s, Shiner Beer was the favorite of hippies and the counter-culture set in Houston and Austin; it was the only beer on the menu of a very popular restaurant in Houston that served macrobiotic dishes. I never really cared for Shiner that much but on the urging of friends I used it a couple of times in the Wick Fowler mix, but I can't recall what effect it had, other than that I stopped using it! That brew has since been reformulated, I think, to give it a more mainstream flavor profile, and the beer from that brewery that is favored now (by many on this board, tho not me) is Shiner Bock.

I agree with what's already been said that chili is really about the spices. I would think the formula would be to select a beer that you like and try adding a little bit of it to your chili to see if you like the taste. I would tend to favor a dark beer.

Interesting statistics: in the Stern's Chili Nation, which has recipes from all 50 states, only 6 call for beer, about half call for the addition of either tomatoes or tomato sauce or paste. Beef stock and chicken stock are not indexed.

In the chapter on chili in Jamison and Jamison's Texas Home Cooking, of 12 recipes, 3 call for beef stock, 5 call for tomatoes in some form, 3 call for beer and one (a 2 time world championship chili) calls for chicken stock, tomatoes and beer!

Buckshot
  • Total Posts : 89
RE: BEER...in chili - Wed, 10/6/04 6:53 PM
I always use beer (Shiner Bock) in my homemade chili.

Buckshot

EdSails
  • Total Posts : 3541
RE: BEER...in chili - Wed, 10/6/04 7:19 PM
I usually use some of the malt liquors (Schlitz, Old English 800 etc.) in my chili. while they are undrinkable by themselves, the seem to blend in well with my chili.

downtown
  • Total Posts : 68
RE: BEER...in chili - Fri, 10/8/04 4:41 PM
LOL -- a group of us had a chili cook-off Labor Day weekend. I was checking around some chili recipes and ran across this. the ingredients alone skeered me!

1 lb Chorizo, removed from casing
1 lb Hot Italian Sausage, removed from casing
1 lb Chuck, cut into bite-size pieces
2 lb Hickory-smoked bacon
10 Habenero peppers
5 Scotch Bonnet peppers
10 Jalepeno peppers
4 Poblano peppers
4 Banana peppers
4 Anaheim peppers
2 cans chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
2 large onions
10 cloves of garlic
2 bottles Negro Mordelo
2 cups Quervo 1800
2 cups Wild Turkey
2 large cans tomato paste
1 large can tomato sauce
2 cans Rotelle Extra Hot diced tomatoes
2 cans kidney beans
1 can black beans
1 can pinto beans
1 can navy/great northern bean
1 can garbanzo
1 bar dark bakers' chocolate
1/4 cup chili powder
1/4 cup cumin
1/4 cup basil
1/4 cup oregano
Salt and pepper to taste

1bbqboy
RE: BEER...in chili - Fri, 10/8/04 7:25 PM
That does NOT sound good! Who won your cookoff, DT?

enginecapt
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: BEER...in chili - Mon, 11/29/04 6:52 PM
Chili opinions are like you know whats, everyone has one. Years ago, I got into the habit of adding beer where I used to add water, and have been entranced by the flavor ever since, as have been my victims who shared a bowl with me. As to what beer to add, I go with whatever's in the ice box. At this particular point in time, it's Rolling Rock. If I'm lucky enough to have a stock of Canadian Moosie or Steam Whistle laid in, that's what goes in the chili pot. I think I'll give the rest of the turkey soup to the dog. I need the big pot for chili.

Art Deco
  • Total Posts : 888
RE: BEER...in chili - Tue, 11/30/04 10:17 AM
I marinate the beef overnight in most of a bottle of Shiner Bock. When I'm ready to sear the beef, I drain off this liquid to use in reconstituting the dried anchos. I'll generally add a small can of tomato sauce, but you really don't need anything in my opinion but beef, beer, chilies, garlic, salt, cayenne, cumin and maybe a touch of masa harina to tighten it up a bit...

ericats
  • Total Posts : 112
RE: BEER...in chili - Tue, 11/30/04 11:18 AM
I use Miller Genuine Draft in my chili.

Theedge
  • Total Posts : 1196
RE: BEER...in chili - Tue, 11/30/04 11:34 AM
Never heard of beer in chili. I keep mine pretty basic and use what ever tomato product happens to be in the pantry. I do on occassion add a dolop of peanut butter to mine. And of course always Habenaro.

EliseT
  • Total Posts : 2849
RE: BEER...in chili - Wed, 12/1/04 2:31 AM
In my opinion, a ground beef chili doesn't have the ability to stand up to a dark beer like a pork chili might. I only ever used Budweiser in my beef chili, but have found that beef broth and canned chopped tomatoes are better. I don't add salt to my chili, and the beef broth doesn't seem to make it too salty.

cleveland66
  • Total Posts : 129
RE: BEER...in chili - Tue, 12/7/04 8:55 AM
quote:

NEVER USE WATER! the secret ingredients are: V-8 juice...

Bill!!! Thanks!!! I've always used water, beef stock, or beer in my chili. This sunday I used V-8, and it was really good. I was making venison chili (not a big fan, but the meat was provided), and the V-8 seemed to "smooth" out some of the gamey flavor.

thanks again!

ctfrasier
  • Total Posts : 253
RE: BEER...in chili - Thu, 03/17/05 11:01 PM
I've used beer in my chili and cannot detect any real difference. One beverage I have used that does make a difference is Dr. Pepper. One can in a pot of chili gives it just a little sweetness that nicely complements the spices.

wesleyman
  • Total Posts : 57
RE: BEER...in chili - Mon, 03/21/05 11:14 AM
About 3 years ago I began adding 1 bottle of Sam Adams Boston Lager to my chili. I think it added an extra dimension to the chili. It added kind of a certain smoothness to go along with the other flavors.

Oh and this is my first post after lurking for months on the site.

macguy4321
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: BEER...in chili - Wed, 04/6/05 8:32 PM
I occationally throw in some Bourbon in my chili.

hefried
  • Total Posts : 367
RE: BEER...in chili - Sat, 04/9/05 6:11 PM
last chili i made had tecate in it, and sausage and beef. thickened with masa flour. perfect.

AndreaB
  • Total Posts : 1303
RE: BEER...in chili - Tue, 04/12/05 6:18 PM
I never put water or sugar in chili. I make it in the crock pot with fresh tomatoes, whatever beer's on hand, tomato paste, cubed sirloin, ground sausage (not the sweet kind), fresh onions, fresh garlic, chili peppers, one dried habernero, cilantro, tomato paste, cumin, chili powder, worcestershire sauce, tomatilloes (if I have them), and just crock pot it all day and (if I'm home) taste and adjust til it's done. Sometimes I use beans and sometimes I don't. Nothing's better than coming home in the winter to the smell of the crock pot chili wafting through the house! I like the beer in the chili!

Andrea

PackardTFord
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: BEER...in chili - Tue, 04/12/05 7:02 PM
Juice from your beans...

nembrionic
  • Total Posts : 28
RE: BEER...in chili - Thu, 07/21/05 12:31 AM
I always use dark/brown Belgium beers.
I assume they're a bit more expensive or maybe a bit more hard to come by depending on you location (that being the US )

I am from the Netherlands myself which is a neighbouring country so easy to come by :)

But I'm sure you'll be able to get them.

This is one I often use.
http://www.merchantduvin.com/pages/5_breweries/westmalle_beers.html (see the "DUBBEL")

Others I use are:

"Grimbergen Optimo Bruno"
"Leffe Brune"
"Rochefort 10"
"Westvleteren 12"

You can find these at http://www.kingdomofbeer.com/
Look at the Abbey beers and the Trappist beer(not the first page)

Apart from using them for cooking they are great for drinking ;)
But since most of these are 8% or 10% beers they're not for everybody considering that 'standard' beer is very popular and those...are weak beers.

I also add a cup of port wine

1bbqboy
RE: BEER...in chili - Thu, 07/21/05 12:42 AM
Welcome, Nembrionic...
How do you make Netherlands Chili? Are you American and in Europe, or are you a European chilihead?

nembrionic
RE: BEER...in chili - Thu, 07/21/05 12:55 AM
quote:

Welcome, Nembrionic...
How do you make Netherlands Chili? Are you American and in Europe, or are you a European chilihead?

European chilihead here
Dutch Chili doesn't really exist. The chili we have over here right out sucks. In all honesty: it doesn't even get close to any of the chilis served in the US or CAN. Generally speaking "chili" over here is considered to be rice, beans, beef and some spices.

So the only way to get one is to make it myself.
I basicly looked up a bunch of recipes over the years and started combining ingredients I liked.

I'm about to make my next one in a few hours and this time I'm going to add some tomatillos to it.

I'm a big fan of Virgil's BBQ Chili but reading this board a bit I'm not so sure that's a representative chili. But I prefer 'tastefull' chilis over searing hot ones.

Most important ingredient for me is the cumin. I can post my own recipe if you like? Although I doubt it'll be any different from some others posted here

I'm always up for trying new ones especially since there are so many different kinds.

1bbqboy
RE: BEER...in chili - Thu, 07/21/05 2:59 AM
Sure, we'd love to see your recipe.

nembrionic
RE: BEER...in chili - Thu, 07/21/05 4:02 AM
quote:

Sure, we'd love to see your recipe.

26 ounces of ground beef
8 ounces of diced bacon
2 pounds of beefsteaks
2 large chopped onions
8 chopped cloves of garlic
6 tomatoes, diced in 4 pieces
1 bottle of dark/brown beer (see post above)
1 cup of port wine
14 oz of beefstock
1 cup coffee(freshly made, strong)
1/4 cup of brown sugar
3 tbl spoon paprika
1 tbl spoon cumin seeds
1 tbl spoon cacao
2 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon chilipoeder
1 teaspoon ground koriander
1 teasppon ground cumin
14 ounces of black beans
1 can of kidney beans
splash of Chipotle sauce
4 Madame Jeanette chilis, finely chopped ( http://www.chili-balkon.de/thumbs/t_madame-jeanette.jpg )
4 Cabe Merah peppers, finely chopped ( http://www.indischkookboek.nl/images/bawang%20en%20cabe.jpg )

ground black pepper
salt
soy sauce
2 leaves of these: http://www.lenglez.net/old/2001/images/images2/laurier.jpg
2 of these: http://www.l-escargot.nl/images/kruidnagel.gif
250 grams of butter

Part 1

First, I heat the butter and sear the beef steaks in it.
Then add big splash of soy sauce, the 2 "unnamed" ingredients, salt & pepper.
Add water until the beef if submerged.
Let it simmer on the lowest possible heat for about 3-3,5 hours till
meat falls apart when pricked with fork.
Take out the beefsteaks and make small bits with a fork

Part 2

- Sauté onions and garlic in oil in a large pot
- Add ground beef. Cook until nice brown.
- Add the bacon.
- Add rest of ingredients
- Add the beefsteaks from part 1
- Add 1 cup of gravy from the beefsteaks (keep rest of gravy for potatoes or whatever)
Let simmer for hours at end. Stir every now and then. Make sure you have enough cumin.

Serve with a bit of extra Chipotle sauce and Jalapeno cornbread and a nice beer (one of them Belgium ones )

I have to calculate to ounces and such but I think I got them right

Ofcourse you're free to add any kind and amount of peppers

laststandchili
  • Total Posts : 177
RE: BEER...in chili - Thu, 07/21/05 7:56 AM
I've been cooking competition chili for the past two years, and beer if definitely a no no in competition. It leaves a bitter taste that judges usually pick up immediately. It also leave the chili with an aroma that is widely compared to old socks.
Two weeks ago I cooked in an ICS competition in Snowshoe West Virginia and one chili made it to the finals table in which the cook had included a Killians Red, and a cup of Captain Morgans rum. I'm not real sure how this batch progressed to the finals. Some friends and I went around after the event was over to check out some competing chilis and picked out this dog right away. The smell was awful, and we circled around it daring each other to taste it. No one would.

NYNM
  • Total Posts : 3037
RE: BEER...in chili - Thu, 07/21/05 11:51 AM
Re: Beer in Chili - see other thread for discussion of Chile in Beer.

Grillmeister
  • Total Posts : 204
RE: BEER...in chili - Thu, 07/21/05 12:29 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Grillmeister

Bushie's right. Using beer for "the recipe" is what you tell your wife when you walk in with a case of Bud.
I use plain water in my chili and let the spices do their thing. You'll know you've done it right when your bowl of red develops a soul of its own.
Now, pash me shum mo of dat Lone Schtar burr.....

Just to clarify my older post: Yes, I use WATER because you have much more control. Using vegetable juices is fine, but you don't have the control. My recipe uses basically the same ingredients as most vegetable juices except I dictate the amounts (tomato, spices, etc). Why let the factory who canned the stuff do that instead of you?
BTW: save the beer for drinking!

Chili Boy
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: BEER...in chili - Thu, 08/4/05 5:23 PM
Beer? Sorry. Not where Chili was invented. On the Texas cattle trails. That's where I'm coming from. I'll get to that. For many of us where I come from Chili is important. Although I was born in New Orleans (and no, we DON'T say "Nawlins". Its "Noo ORE-lenz", thank y'all very much.)I was raised in and around Texas and Chili is something we can only live with for a matter of days before we die of blandness. And good chili, REAL chili, is a LOT more than just HOT! Its savory, tomato-y, slightly sweet and has a good Cumin kick and it SHOULD have a spoonful of Masa Harina (Mexican cornmeal) mixed in. And never, never, never BEANS!!!
If you've GOT to have something that will give you greasy gas, eat a bowl of pintos on the side. If you do eat beans in your chili, please sit down wind from the rest of us.
Okay, to make it simple, go to the Supermarket. Buy one of those little brown sacks of Carroll Shelby's Chili Makin's. (Shelby's a former racecar driver who created the famous "Shelby Cobra" hot rod!) Buy some extra cumin. Buy a packet of Pasilla Chili powder. Buy a can of tomato sauce. If you've got a little dab of brown sugar at home you don't need to buy any more (some folks use unsweetened chocolate, but that's pushin' it a leetle mite). The seasoning sack has enough Masa Meal in it, so you don't need to buy more. Go home, brown up a pound or two of ground beef. Add the extra cumin and the extra chili powder. Toss in a teaspoon of brown sugar, maybe more if you like. Simmer is all together and during the last twenty minutes add the Masa meal (put it in a cup and slowly stir water into it until it becomes a thick but pourable paste) and add it to the pan. NOW HEAR THIS, Y'ALL: You can and will do as you please. Throw in stuff til the cows come home. Whatever you like is what you like. But for the real deal, and that's what I was raised on, there are certain do's and don'ts. Some of the don'ts are VERY don't. To make it right and to make it simple, even if your sweet lil' ol' Momma from Minnesota used to do it, DO NOT put in GREEN (BELL) PEPPERS! NO CELERY. NO MUSHROOMS. NO CARROTS. NO CALIFLOWER. NO ASPARAGAS. NO BROCCOLI. NO SAUSAGE (Eye-Talian or otherwise). AND NO OREGANO (this ain't Italy, son!) And unless you want to end up with something that might taste good to your taste buds that ain't really chili, NOTHING ELSE!!! PLEASE!!! AND I'D BEG YOU NOT TO POUR A CAN OF BEER IN THE CHILI. If you like beer, drink a couple while you make the chili and have a couple while you eat it. Chili is a minimalist thing. History: Real Chuck Wagon cooks didn't have much to put in their trail chili. Just beef, dried chiles (red) and maybe some hot red peppers, cumin seeds (Crushed with a rifle butt) and they probably didn't use tomatoes. Their chili turned red from the Chiles as they cooked into the meat. (Chile is a type of pepper grown in New Mexico. Chili is a meat stew. K?) And branch water. And salt and a pinch of raw sugar, maybe. Nothing else. And their chili was probably so strong and so gut-punchin' we fat and lazy city slickers probably couldn't handle it. So...that's all I got to say about that.
Then, toppin's: If you're from Louisiana, make a pot of rice. You know what to do with it (ladle the chili over the rice). If you're from Texas, don't. You might cook up a pan of cornbread. Mmmm. Dice up some yeller onions. Open a can of chopped Chiles. Grate some rat trap cheese. A splat of sour cream. And leave the beans in the can in the cupboard! Only My Yankee Brethren who eat that termeter soup they call chili in diners in Racine, Wisconsin eat crackers on it. Restraint, please.

After you make it with like this a few times, you'll throw the Carroll Shelby Chili Makin's away and start doin' it yourself. You'll tinker with it and sooner or later, like everybody else...your's will be "The Best Chili" in the world! (Yeah, like everybody's a 1/4 Cherokee!) LOL!!!
See Y'all in the kitchen!
CB

MEANCHEF
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: BEER...in chili - Tue, 08/23/05 6:26 PM
As a chef I have developed over the years what I consider a great chili.

Red Chile Sauce
4 ounces whole dried new mexican red chilies (preferably Chimayo)
2 ounces whole dried ancho chiles
2 ounces whole pasilla chilies
2 cans chipotle chiles in adobo
1 teaspoon adobo sauce
2 quarts water
1 lb roma tomatoes, blackened
1 large white onion, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
5 cloves garlic, roasted,peeled,chopped
1 teaspoon cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons Mexican oregano
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons lard
1 cup chicken stock (or more as needed)
Chili
1 quart red chili sauce
1 quart samuel smith's nut brown ale
1 quart beef stock
1 quart tomato sauce
1 can las palmas medium enchilada sauce
lard
12 lbs beef chuck, 1 1/2 inch cubes
3 white onions, diced
1/2 cup masa corn flour
10 poblano chiles, roasted,peeled,seeded
10 red bell peppers, roasted,peeled seeded
4 tablespoons cumin
4 tablespoons Mexican oregano
2 tablespoons instant minced garlic (or 1 T garlic powder)
2 tablespoons black pepper
2lb of your favorite sausage

Red Chile Sauce---------.
Stem and seed chiles, roast at 250 for 3- 4 minutes.
Add to the water in a covered pan and simmer for 20 minutes.
Cool.
Blacken tomatoes under broiler.
Saute onion in oil over low heat until browned.
Put tomato, onion, garlic, chiles, cumin, oregano, adobo sauce and salt in a blender.
Add stock and puree to a fine paste.
Add lard to a skillet and heat to almost smoking.
Fry sauce at a sizzle for 5 minutes.
Do not allow to get too thick.
Add more stock if necessary.
Extra can be frozen and use for any Mexican/Southwestern recipe whic calls for red chile sauce.
For CHILI--------.
Place chile sauce, ale, beef stock, tomato sauce and enchilada sauce in large stock pot and let simmer for 20 minutes.
Brown meat in lard in cast iron skillet.
Saute onion in same pan to brown.
Place meat and onion in bowl and sprinkle with 1/2 cup of masa.
Add to stock pot including accumulated juices.
Add peppers to stock pot.
Add spices to stock pot.
Simmer slowly until meat is tender.
Correct seasoning.
Add sausage.

Beer&Snausages
  • Total Posts : 418
RE: BEER...in chili - Tue, 08/23/05 11:14 PM
Here's my favorite - As others it varies based on my mood and what I have on the shelf and in the fridge.

4 tablespoons Olive oil
5 pounds Boneless chuck (lean)
2 pounds Pork butt (lean)
2 Med. onions -- coarsly chopped
4-6 Cloves garlic -- minced
Salt to taste
1 teaspoon Black pepper
12 ounces Beer (Porter or Stout)
1 quart Tomato sauce
4 cups Stewed/chopped tomatoes
1 bottle Spicy V-8
1 can Chipotles in Adobo Sauce (puree in blender)
1 teaspoon Allspice
4 tablespoons Fresh ground cumin
2 1/2 tablespoons Chili powder
1 ounce Soy sauce
1/2 ounce Whiskey
1/2 cup Dried Ancho chili peppers
1 tablespoon Habanero or favorite Hot sauce
1/2 cup Tomato paste
1/3 cup Masa harina

Heat the olive oil in a heavy skillet.
Cube the meats into 1/4 inch cubes and cook in the olive oil with the onions, the garlic, salt & black pepper.

In a large stock pot bring the beer to a boil.
Add the meat mixture, tomato sauce, tomatoes, bell pepper, allspice, cumin, chili powder, soy sauce, and whiskey.

Reduce heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes.
Add the dried peppers, Tabasco sauce, tomato paste, and salt as desired.

Stir in the masa harina slowly and cook a bit. Cover after stirring well and cook for 1 hour, stirring every 10 minutes. Serve hot!

This recipe makes enough for 12-20 people.

Dante 2000
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: BEER...in chili - Mon, 09/12/05 9:53 PM
quote:

What's the best beer to put in chili?

Scorereader
  • Total Posts : 5546
RE: BEER...in chili - Tue, 09/13/05 11:06 AM
Chili boy, your cowboy argument, though interesting, is false.
The cowboys on the Texas trail did not "invent" chili. Meat stews using the chili pepper dates back to 17th century natives of the southwest, and they used venison....not beef.

The trail users, you mention, did make a chili, but they didn't cook the meat in the pots. They used dried beef, fat, pepper, salt and chilis and made bricks out of them to carry the dried food along the trail. Then, they'd heat it up. the fat would melt down to create the stew like effect. no corn meal in that recipe, and no cumin.

Chili in the 1860's was also available in the prisons by cooking the cheap tough meat in water and spices until the meat was edible.

From there, Chili EVOLVED into what Texans and other American eat and call "Chili." From Texas to California to Cincinatti to New England, it's ALL chili.

So, since chili has evolved and likely improved upon from its original form, I say, if it tastes good, put whatever you want in your chili.

Poopy
  • Total Posts : 101
RE: BEER...in chili - Wed, 11/9/05 11:53 AM
There is nothing wrong with a little beer in chili. I like either a bottle of Fat Tire or Cave Creek Chili (the beer with a chili pepper in the bottle.)

Fieldthistle
  • Total Posts : 1948
RE: BEER...in chili - Wed, 11/9/05 1:38 PM
Hello All,
I never thought of putting beer in chili until this thread.
I tried it once, twice, even a third time, and decided it just
didn't work for my taste.
I, like sasku and Dante, would like to know if there is a best
beer to put in chili?
Has anyone ever put pot in chili? Not that I am proposing that?
I just remember in my youth that brownies were flavoured with that
additive.
I am not promoting it, just wondering?
Take Care,
Fieldthistle

tsores
  • Total Posts : 653
RE: BEER...in chili - Wed, 11/9/05 1:51 PM
I let the tomatoes provide the liquid. If that is not enough, then add set aside bean juice. (Yes, I use beans.)

I prefer to add the beer while I eat the chili.

Scorereader
  • Total Posts : 5546
RE: BEER...in chili - Wed, 11/9/05 2:08 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Fieldthistle

Hello All,
I never thought of putting beer in chili until this thread.
I tried it once, twice, even a third time, and decided it just
didn't work for my taste.
I, like sasku and Dante, would like to know if there is a best
beer to put in chili?
Has anyone ever put pot in chili? Not that I am proposing that?
I just remember in my youth that brownies were flavoured with that
additive.
I am not promoting it, just wondering?
Take Care,
Fieldthistle

Fieldthistle,
you're not in Colorado right now are you?

I don't think marijuanna in the brownies was really for flavor.
I think it's more for effect...or affect...

jbryan
  • Total Posts : 34
RE: BEER...in chili - Sat, 11/12/05 7:04 PM
I usually use an amber, something that will add a little sweetness to chili. Beer and a little honey. A little sweetness to a batch of chili really rounds it off nicely.

roossy90
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: BEER...in chili - Wed, 11/30/05 7:52 PM
quote:
Originally posted by NYNM

Re: Beer in Chili - see other thread for discussion of Chile in Beer.

Good one....