Hot!Mr. Steak Restaurants...

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
droesener
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants...#157 in Mountain View Colorado 2008/12/22 18:24:24 (permalink)
I worked at Mr. Steak at 44th and Sheridan as well.  It indeed was #157.  What a great place and what great friends I made!  My best friend to this day is Steve Nelson whom I met there.  I started in 1976 when Gary Crumbaker was the manager.  He left and eventually Bill Andersen took over as manager.  I continued to work there during weekends and breaks during college at CSU until 1981.

I am trying to organize a reunion of #157 members (all years) for the summer of 2009.  I am working with Roberta (Barr) Andersen to organize it and try and track down names of people who worked there during those years.  Please contact me (or have anyone contact me directly) if you would like to participate or to help with any peoples' names you might have or remember.  I have about 60 names so far.

BTW, I would love to get the ceasar dressing recipe!

Doug Roesener
Doug@roesener.us
Bronco Bill
Junior Burger
RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... 2009/04/25 20:33:59 (permalink)
To all inquiring about Continental Burgers - I was a Senior Grill Chef at Mr Steak in Southeast Grand Rapids, MI on Outer Beltline near 28th St in the early 70's.  It was a franchise owned by a very driven man - Howard Schelde(sp?) and a partner - that location was always in the top 5 or 10 nationally in sales.  I make Continentals to this day - I don't recall the name of the meat packer they used there - I moved out of "GR" 36 years ago.  The Continentals came pre-made.  They were two thin oval patties of what we now call 80-85% lean ground (need that much fat to stay together) - I think each patty was about a fifth of a pound.  The filling was two things only - pasteurized process swiss cheese ONLY and fresh (when patty was frozen) mushrooms. The 'shrooms and process swiss were diced to about 1/2" dice.  Put about 1 to 2 tablespoons on one patty, cover with second patty and crimp edges gently but completely so there are no holes.  Grill till medium, turning as little as possible and use some kind of cover on top last 2 minutes or so to help cheese melt.  That restaurant served them always on buttered, then grilled on one side, light rye bread.  The burger was served open face with the second bread slice cut in half and set on each end.  Everyone ate them with a knife and fork!  They were hugely popular!!  I love them, make them once a year or so.  I also have the recipes we used for steak kabobs and the marinade, plus the beef and mushroom based rice they were served on, and the Black Russian burgers.  For me to share those recipes? Ask. Maybe I will. 
brittneal
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1265
RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... 2009/04/25 23:27:21 (permalink)

When I was the Chef at Baby Does in Denver my district Chef gave me some busy work.  We had the only large copy machine with a coalator.  He had me make up a copy of the companies entire reciepe formulary.  It covered all specialty rests.  Fom Blind Monk and Crawdaddy's to the 94th Aero squadron.  It was 1200 pages of 1 page recipes!  Of course I kept a copy.  With a decent glossay in front it was great as I had a basic rec. for almost anything at my fingertips
tastebuddy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
Re:Mr. Steak Restaurants... 2009/05/28 22:38:35 (permalink)

I worked one summer during college at the Mr. Steak in Lawrence, Kansas.  I have always wanted to be able to make the marinade for the kabobs.  Can any of you knowlegable ex-Mr. Steakers provide this recipe?  I have searched online several times before, and there is an entire thread elsewhere of people looking for this recipe!

thanks so much. 

summeroftom
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... 2009/06/08 13:26:04 (permalink)
I was a "sous chef" at Mr. Steak in 1981 during high school. I remember that their chicken fingers were sooo good and they had this marinated steak (or ground beef--can't remember) which was kind of a rectangular shape which was good.

http://frkandspn.blogspot.com/
skeller
Junior Burger
RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... 2009/11/01 10:50:20 (permalink)
Sometime between the end of September and the end of October 2009 the Mr. Steak in St. Charles, MO has closed. The door has a piece of paper stating they were closing due to "an emergency". Both their voice and fax phone numbers have been disconnected. The home page is still up. I have not yet tried any other means to contact them or the owner(s) or find out what is going on. A family member had seen coupons in a recent mailed circular from them, and I know they had increased thieir birthday offer from $7 to $9.

Very unfortunate...
ludicrous speed
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... 2009/11/04 14:01:15 (permalink)
I worked at the St. Charles location back in the late 80's and early 90's. It is true- they did close recently. Heard it was a combination of slow business and some debt a previous owner left on the restaurant. Anyone looking for recipies? I still remember them- let me know :)
TenPoundHammer
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 35
RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... 2010/01/12 14:34:12 (permalink)
I found a handful in Michigan. As someone pointed out, most of the ones in western Michigan became Finley's with mostly the same menu (one Finley's in Lansing has since closed). Traverse City, Petoskey, and the five in Grand Rapids (one of which was already mentioned) all became Schelde's. Only the Traverse City Schelde's still operates under that name; Petoskey became Rio Grand Steakhouse and was torn down along with a KFC to make way for a Walgreens.

The Finley's locations were Battle Creek, Holland, Jackson, Kalamazoo (2), Lansing (2), Muskegon and Okemos. Holland didn't last long as a Finley's and later became Pietro's before being torn down, and Okemos is now a mattress store. Lansing's Cedar St. location seems to have relocated shortly before the Finley's conversion from 5919 S. Cedar (later a Schlotzsky's, now closed) to 6300 (the current Finley's). Or maybe Finley's relocated.
maslow
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... 2010/04/09 15:09:00 (permalink)
To bronco Bill
I worked at mr. steak back inthe 1980s and loved the black russian.  I was a cook and did all the preping in the morning.  Did lunches, dinners and had a blast not only learning how to cook all their great food but enjoyed the people as well.  My husband use to always come in for lunch/dinner at mr. steak in the west seneca, ny area and hey never knew he would be my husband.  We often talk about the black russian as we both loved it.  Can you please tell me the secret in the middle of the hamburgers?????  I know grilled rye, topped with sour cream.  Would love to try it.  Thanks so much.  Maslow
tastebuddy
Junior Burger
RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... 2010/04/11 18:20:50 (permalink)

Dear Maslow,

Am still looking for the Kebob marinade recipe, if you did that kind of prep. thanks.

tastebuddy
CheeseburgerChet
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 25
Re:Mr. Steak Restaurants... 2010/04/11 23:50:24 (permalink)
They went out of business like 20 years ago.
maslow
Junior Burger
Re:Mr. Steak Restaurants... 2010/04/16 15:46:59 (permalink)
to tastebuddy,ould love to help with the receipe for the kabob receipe which i thought was great also but unfortunately the restaurant purchased it pre-made and it came in a container and all we did was soak the kabob's.  A lot of that prep work was also done at closing for soak for the next day.  I am sorry i cannot help.  Any idea though about the black russian???  No reply for the receipe.  I know on grilled bread, mushrooms/with gravy in the middle, onions on top/dollop of sour cream still waiting for a reply.  Help i would love to try them.  Also so you know a lot of the food that we received at Mr. Steak was portioned out, ready to grill, etc.  Found out i was alergic to lobster tails when i cut them in the am for lunch/dinner.  Oh well, love them but can't cut them.  It was a great experience.  My manager showed me how to grill steak with the touch of the thumb, weather rare/med/well
and i still use that when grilling, my husband loves it.
maslow

tastebuddy
Junior Burger
Re:Mr. Steak Restaurants... 2010/04/18 08:38:58 (permalink)
No, I recall the Black Russian in name only.  Bronco Bill above says he has the recipe, but has never  divulged the kebob marinade either.   Is it a completely different prep than the Continental, which is detailed above?

Siqueiros
Junior Burger
Re:Mr. Steak Restaurants... 2010/04/27 20:31:34 (permalink)
I worked at the Mr. Steak restaurant in Sacramento in 1974 and would like the recipe to the teriyaki sauce.  My friend was a cook there (no longer in contact with him) and I remember seeing him make the sauce - an ingredient that I recall is pineapple juice.  If anyone out there knows the recipe please post it.  It will bring back great memories of when I was seventeen!!!!!  
maslow
Junior Burger
Re:Mr. Steak Restaurants... 2010/05/04 15:33:29 (permalink)
bronco bill
i am guessing you do not have the receipe for the black russian.  a lot of the food made at mr. steak was pre made, especially all the marinade.  If they ran their franchise as where i worked everything was the same such as Mc Donalds's.  The flavor has to be the same for all restaurants.  If you make the marinade, black russians it has to taste the same.  I make my own marinade for pork, kabobs, etc.  I make my own barbecue sauce and if i ran a franchise it would have to be the same at all locations for be successful such as kentucky fried chicken.  Does not anyone agree.  I am going to try the black russian myself from scratch and see what happens.  thanks
Cirira
Junior Burger
Re:Mr. Steak Restaurants... 2010/05/06 03:48:09 (permalink)
I used to love Mr.Steak. My favorite thing was there Beef Noodle Soup that they'd only serve on Fridays. Anyone happen to know how to fix that?
jerryhill444
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... 2010/05/25 13:25:33 (permalink)
My husband is always speaking of the blue cheese dressing recipe.  I am wanting to make it for him as a surprise. Can you help? Thanks Teresa

Do you have the blue cheese dressing recipe? My husband is missing his old favorite. I wanted to make it and surprise him. Thanks, Teresa HIll   teresacitgo@yahoo.com   He use to have the whole recipe book. He lost it long ago. Does anyone have a copy of it? I'd love to give him back an old present : )

post edited by jerryhill444 - 2010/06/20 17:33:32
ludicrous speed
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:Mr. Steak Restaurants... 2010/05/26 23:14:29 (permalink)
At the St. Charles restaurant, here is what I recall of the Black Russian: We grilled a burger, melted swiss on it, placed it on toasted rye bread and topped w/ sauteed onions (was the burger version of the M & O steak minus the mushrooms). The Continental (Connie) was a pre-made patty as mentioned in previous posts. The Fingerlength was a pre-made patty.

We made all of the marinades in house except Diane (it was a powder that we added water to). The soups came in frozen. Dressings were pre- made except Tarragon and Bleu Cheese.

jerryhill444
Junior Burger
RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... 2010/06/20 17:39:54 (permalink)
Do anyone have the blue cheese dressing recipe? My husband is missing his old favorite. I wanted to make it and surprise him. Thanks, Teresa HIll   teresacitgo@yahoo.com   He use to have the whole recipe book. He lost it long ago. Would like to give him another copy as a surprise if anyone knows where I could get a copy. Let me know. Thanks again.

Purrj
Junior Burger
RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... kABOB RECIPE 2010/07/02 18:52:47 (permalink)
Hi - I worked at Mr. Steak's in Chico, CA in the 70's and made the marinade by the gallons, but could not for the life of me remember the recipe. I found it on another site, but there are no measurements, so you'll have to wing it!

Someone else said it came packaged (not at our restaurant) and someone else said it was French dressing (close, but no).

These are the ingredients I remember:

- Regular ketchup
- Vegetable oil
- Pepper
- Onion powder
- Worcestershire sauce

And the order was beef, green pepper, onion, mushroom, beef and so on. Oh, and they MUST marinate , refrigerated. for at least 24 hours!

Can anyone inprove on this? Thanks!

janelle

cyndi1014
Junior Burger
RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... 2010/08/11 13:57:36 (permalink)
The Mr. Steak near me closed down a few years ago and I've been trying to find the recipe for their steak kabobs with no luck so far.  Could you PLEASE give me the recipe.  I loved their steak kabobs and teriyaki steak.  I would greatly appreciate it.

Bronco Bill

To all inquiring about Continental Burgers - I was a Senior Grill Chef at Mr Steak in Southeast Grand Rapids, MI on Outer Beltline near 28th St in the early 70's.  It was a franchise owned by a very driven man - Howard Schelde(sp?) and a partner - that location was always in the top 5 or 10 nationally in sales.  I make Continentals to this day - I don't recall the name of the meat packer they used there - I moved out of "GR" 36 years ago.  The Continentals came pre-made.  They were two thin oval patties of what we now call 80-85% lean ground (need that much fat to stay together) - I think each patty was about a fifth of a pound.  The filling was two things only - pasteurized process swiss cheese ONLY and fresh (when patty was frozen) mushrooms. The 'shrooms and process swiss were diced to about 1/2" dice.  Put about 1 to 2 tablespoons on one patty, cover with second patty and crimp edges gently but completely so there are no holes.  Grill till medium, turning as little as possible and use some kind of cover on top last 2 minutes or so to help cheese melt.  That restaurant served them always on buttered, then grilled on one side, light rye bread.  The burger was served open face with the second bread slice cut in half and set on each end.  Everyone ate them with a knife and fork!  They were hugely popular!!  I love them, make them once a year or so.  I also have the recipes we used for steak kabobs and the marinade, plus the beef and mushroom based rice they were served on, and the Black Russian burgers.  For me to share those recipes? Ask. Maybe I will. 

jerryhill444
Junior Burger
RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants...#157 in Mountain View Colorado 2010/08/24 10:15:54 (permalink)
Do you remember the Blue Cheese Dressing Recipe? 
jerryhill444
Junior Burger
RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... 2010/08/24 10:17:04 (permalink)
DO you remember the Blue Cheese Dressing Recipe?
jerryhill444
Junior Burger
RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... kABOB RECIPE 2010/08/24 10:17:49 (permalink)
jerryhill444
Junior Burger
RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... 2010/08/24 10:19:37 (permalink)
jerryhill444
Junior Burger
RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... 2010/08/24 10:20:11 (permalink)
USApegger
Junior Burger
RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... 2010/09/24 13:14:48 (permalink)
I worked for many years at all of the Mr. Steak locations in Winnipeg, Canada. They have all been closed since the late 80's and only one building stillexists, it is now a radio station. We never had much franchise support from the US, all our menu's were similar to the US menu's but had to show Canada Grade A beef.
Anyway, one of my favorites was the Olde English, not sure if anyone remembers those.
As for the Kebob recipe above, you also need to add vinegar and garlic powder to it. I still make kebobs for my own grill using that marinade and its just as good as it was back then

SnowmanPA
Junior Burger
RE: Mr. Steak Restaurants... 2010/12/07 18:22:04 (permalink)
Howdy Gang! 
I came across this forum when I posted a search for the Fingerlength sandwich.  It was my favorite! This whole forum sure brings back memories!  My parents took my sister and I to eat at Mr Steak when we were kids in the late 60's - early 70's.  My Dad used to say that we would stop going out to eat as a family when the bill went over $10 bucks!

I used to work at the Mr Steak at Hwy 7 and 101 in Minnetonka, MN when I was in high school from 80-82.  I was a cook, bartender, and occasionally one of the hosts.   We had a great owner/manager named Doug Lees.  He closed the restaurant in the mid-late 80's and became a successful realtor in the area.

As others have stated, a lot of the food was pre-made by the supplier.   I do seem to recall that the kebob marinade was french dressing, very much like Catalina.  I don't recall if we doctored up the recipe or used it as is.  However, not everything was pre-made.  We used to make our own soups from scratch.  At least some of them anyway.  I used to make spit pea with ham and a real hearty barley. 

I agree with all the previous posts that rave about the quality of the food.  It was a great place to work and eat.  We used to have a waiting room full of people every Friday and Saturday night.  It was a great place to take a date because the quality was excellent, the lighting was soft, and it was affordable for a high school kid.  :)   Ahhh, the memories!

So, about that Fingerlength sandwich?  Does anybody have any info on that?  Who might still be producing something like that? 

Happy Holidays to all!

Ted
rugman56
Junior Burger
Re:Mr. Steak Restaurants... 2010/12/18 17:06:26 (permalink)
I worked at the north kansas city mr. steak as assistant manager.  although i cannot remember the proportions some of the ingriediants to the marinade were oil, kikomans soy sauce.  There were other ingriediants but my memory is vague.  As for the continental i use ground chuck two patties, put chopped mushrooms and swiss in it and a little mushroom soup.  seal it tight and grill, serve open face on rye.
stricken_detective
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2346
Re:Mr. Steak Restaurants... 2010/12/19 18:57:35 (permalink)
maslow

bronco bill
i am guessing you do not have the receipe for the black russian.  a lot of the food made at mr. steak was pre made, especially all the marinade.  If they ran their franchise as where i worked everything was the same such as Mc Donalds's.  The flavor has to be the same for all restaurants.  If you make the marinade, black russians it has to taste the same.  I make my own marinade for pork, kabobs, etc.  I make my own barbecue sauce and if i ran a franchise it would have to be the same at all locations for be successful such as kentucky fried chicken.  Does not anyone agree.  I am going to try the black russian myself from scratch and see what happens.  thanks

He hasn't posted here in 5 years, you might try emailing him instead.
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1