Best region for pizza in the U.S.

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 60 of 140
tbelk
  • Total Posts : 19
  • Reward points : 0
Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Thu, 09/9/04 6:09 PM
My vote(admittedly I'm biased as I am a native)is Buffalo,N.Y.
We take unfair raps on a lot of things, but one thing we do well around here is food, and pizza is right at the top, although I've found that since I've moved from the city to the country, the pickin's are a little more lean.From "Just Pizza" to "LaNova" to the legendary "Mr. Pizza" Buffalo rules the pizza world! I've also lived in Tampa, Pittsburgh and Rochester(NY) and nowhere else compares!

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17810
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Thu, 09/9/04 6:29 PM
I gather you've never been to New Haven.

Tell me, is there still a bar in Buffalo called Cole's?

Grampy
  • Total Posts : 1559
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Thu, 09/9/04 7:17 PM
Get thee to New Haven and New York City.

BBQ Barney
  • Total Posts : 161
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Thu, 09/9/04 9:14 PM
OK--I'll get in trouble here--Chicago style trumps NY anytime!

Theedge
  • Total Posts : 1196
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Thu, 09/9/04 9:17 PM
Best pizza in the world is in Austin, MN. Spamtown USA. Fly over country. Don't dismiss it until you've tried it.

Grampy
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Thu, 09/9/04 9:53 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Theedge

Best pizza in the world is in Austin, MN. Spamtown USA. Fly over country. Don't dismiss it until you've tried it.

I dismiss nothing until I have tried it, but, have you tried pizza in Naples, Rome, Paris, or Buenos Aires? Granted, they are outside the US, but the world loves great pizza. As do I. It is my universal quest. Do you know NYC and New Haven pizza, or the old roadhouse dives or taverns that do it up the way it was first made, and is still made, when the likes of good flour and yeast are at hand? Real coal or hardwood fired? That's the difference, too. If you do not smell the pizza baking -- before you enter the pizzeria -- leave (a Yogisim, maybe).

As an aside, I have, and I search my grail. Pizza is the key to life. I make my own pizza every week in an 600° oven, but I made pizza in Uruguay in a wood fired clay oven that was more like 700°, and I would challenge the pizza gods on its outcome. Humble? Not moi.

Nevertheless, I have made a note! The grail is yet to be found. Austin, MN is on the list.

Spudnut
  • Total Posts : 655
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Thu, 09/9/04 10:43 PM
To me, it's either the Northeast (NYC and New Haven) or Chicago. I'm hugely partial to the former, but of course I live there.

tbelk, I'm from just outside Buffalo, so it pains me to disagree with you. But, I've got to vote with my heart/stomach. Change the subject to wings, beef on weck, or even sponge candy or loganberry, and I've got your back!

signman
  • Total Posts : 1743
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Thu, 09/9/04 10:52 PM
tbelk, I agree with Spudnut, New Haven and NYC metro are the best crisp thin crust pizzas. You also mention that you spent time in Pittsburgh. I've been very satisfied with pizzas I've had there at Aiello's, Mineo's and a few other places close to the downtown area. The dough and sauce have a very fresh taste that I have not experienced elsewhere.

I have spent a fair amount of time in Buffalo too, and I have not been impressed at La Nova or anywhere else, except for beef on weck and Ted's Hot Dogs.

BT
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Thu, 09/9/04 11:04 PM
Sign me up for the New York/New Haven side on this one. I never have cared for "Chicago style" pizza.

Nor do I like the pizza available in N. California for the most part. There are some decent pies here, but I've not found an exemplary one.

Grampy
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Thu, 09/9/04 11:07 PM
I still think -- next Roadfood meet should be New Haven!

flattop5
  • Total Posts : 113
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Thu, 09/9/04 11:58 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Grampy

I still think -- next Roadfood meet should be New Haven!

We can combine it with the CT Hot Dog Tour, coming to the Nutmeg State October 30th, I hear. And I, too, vote for New Haven for Best Pizza Region, although my pizza-world view is quite limited (NY, NH, Chicago, LA, SF).

tiki
  • Total Posts : 4135
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Fri, 09/10/04 7:55 AM
without a doubt--the Northeast coastline!!! sure,you can get good pizza in other places here and there---but over all---darn near any place on the NE coast that sells pizza is usually good and MANY are great!!!!!

Edwaste
  • Total Posts : 168
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Fri, 09/10/04 8:02 AM
My vote is New Haven.
We have Modern Pizza, Pepe's, Sally's, and Papa's in Milford (Next door to NH).

greasewheel
  • Total Posts : 52
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Fri, 09/10/04 8:24 AM
No question about it in my mind. I agree with the majority above. Connecticut (not just the New Haven area) and New York City are at the top of my list. Soooo many great places!

cedwin
  • Total Posts : 63
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Fri, 09/10/04 9:20 AM
No offense to Theedge, but it's hard to believe Austin Minnesota would have the best pizza, as much bigger Twin Cities have few quality pies. As a Minnesota native, I can say unequivocally that the best pizza I've ever eaten has been from New Jersey, as well as the best subs.

Theedge
  • Total Posts : 1196
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Fri, 09/10/04 10:06 AM
Obviously I was being a bit sarcastic. I always like to poke at the "there's no good pizza X amount of miles from Y location. I haven't traveled extensively, but from the places I've been, and from what others have told me, we've got a couple of the best joints around. If any of you get over this way it'll be my treat.

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15059
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Fri, 09/10/04 11:19 AM
Theedge- You have just set a new standard for the roadfooder review front page. Where it asks how far you would drive to go to the place being reviewed???? We need to change that that to "How far would you drive to have someone buy you a meal at XXXX?" Now that would be a standard I could understand and appreciate!
When you said "It's on Me" ! I started to pull out my road atlas!

markeble
  • Total Posts : 23
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Fri, 09/10/04 11:33 AM
Funny you should lead off with Buffalo. I pulled off the highway in a snow storm in 1973 and wandered Buffalo in search of something good to eat and found a pizza that I remember to this day, quite possibly "the best ever", but the name of the place has faded from my memory

santacruz
  • Total Posts : 372
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Fri, 09/10/04 11:39 AM
I would say from Utica New York east to Springfield Ma. north to Saratoga and south to Poughkeepsie. This slice of upstate N.Y. and western Ma. has the best Pizza in the United States.

Grampy
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Fri, 09/10/04 12:11 PM
quote:
Originally posted by santacruz

I would say from Utica New York east to Springfield Ma. north to Saratoga and south to Poughkeepsie. This slice of upstate N.Y. and western Ma. has the best Pizza in the United States.

Santacruz: What are your faves in Western Mass?

meowzart
  • Total Posts : 773
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Fri, 09/10/04 1:19 PM
What is it that makes New Haven a haven for pizza lovers? What makes it so good? Sorry if I missed the thread discussing this!

Grampy
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Fri, 09/10/04 1:49 PM
Michael posted an article from Gourmet a while back, but I cannot find it. Try looking here in the meantime: http://www.sliceny.com/archives/000474.php

TJ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 4481
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Fri, 09/10/04 2:03 PM

ezra
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Fri, 09/10/04 2:29 PM
I grew up in NYC and think they got the best selection of pizza joints. However, the best I've ever had was in New London, CT at a place called The Recovery Room restaurant. Brick oven, thin and slightly charred crust, made to order. It was great.

There is another great spot in Brooklyn, NY - just under the Brooklyn Bridge (forgot the name), but they make great thin crust, brick oven pizza.

I now reside in Phoenix and found a couple of places, most notably NYPD Pizza. Its a small chain out here, but they have got a very close clone of NYC pizza.

Ezra

essvee
  • Total Posts : 425
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Fri, 09/10/04 2:44 PM
don't forget boston. regina and giorgio's in the north end, and sartarpio's in east boston. i agree that new haven is number one, but i personally would put the best boston pizza ahead of the best ny pizza. i have eaten at john's, lombardi's, grimaldi's, and regina is significantly better than than those three holy grails of ny pizza.

essvee
  • Total Posts : 425
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Fri, 09/10/04 2:46 PM
Please accept my apologies for the lack of capitalization in the last post. I just was in the middle of a long email thread about last night's Colts-Pats game, and I neglected to switch back to the polite mode of online communication.

alesrus
  • Total Posts : 292
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Fri, 09/10/04 3:14 PM
I like New York style Pizza and New Jersey has some great examples. I have never had a Connecticut slice. Who is going to organize the SLICE TOUR 04!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Willly
  • Total Posts : 396
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Fri, 09/10/04 3:39 PM
I was once at LaNova with friends from Buffalo. One of them ordered a side of blue cheese dressing to dip his pizza in. Enough said.

Spudnut
  • Total Posts : 655
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Fri, 09/10/04 4:59 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Willly

I was once at LaNova with friends from Buffalo. One of them ordered a side of blue cheese dressing to dip his pizza in. Enough said.

In the interest of curiosity (and fairness): did he/she actually dip the entire pizza, or just the leftover crust? I don't actually have much of a problem with the latter.

wanderingjew
  • Total Posts : 7382
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Sat, 09/11/04 11:01 AM
I hate to trample on Buffalo, because I LOVE Red Hots, Weck and Wings. But I remember my first (and only) pizza eating experience in Buffalo back in 1982. I was in the High School Band (tuba of course!) and we had an exchange concert trip to Buffalo. I remember a bunch of us stopping for Lunch at a Pizza restaurant. All I remember is that it took a very long time for the Pizza to come out (made to order??) and when it did, all I could taste was the thick crust. I don't even remember there being any cheese or sauce on the Pizza if there was then it was completely tasteless. It was just completely disgusting and dissapointing. Having very little exposure to the world outside of NYC and vicinity at the time, I asked my bandmates why the Pizza tasted so "different" they replied that Pizza is usually pretty bad outside of the NYC area. Of course years later I disagree considering the few exceptions (Chicago, Pittsburgh, Providence, etc)

signman
  • Total Posts : 1743
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Sat, 09/11/04 11:59 PM
I'll put in a vote for Boston's Regina Pizza too. One of the very best by the slice experiences.

Rex Allen
  • Total Posts : 157
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Sun, 09/12/04 7:01 AM
I have never had Pizza in the East. (Right Coast) But from the many comments I read on this web site it must be New York and New Jersey have the best. However, I have been to New York many times and being we are close to 9/11 I did eat many times at the top of the World Trade Center. I get very sad thinking about the poor people who were working there on that fateful day. Rex in expensive San Diego.

DerangedMetsFan
  • Total Posts : 22
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Sun, 09/12/04 10:32 AM
If it's within the NY Metro area (NYC/NJ/LI/CT/Westchester/Rockland) , it's mostly good. I've had good pizza on the Island (Amore Pizza in Bay Shore, Les' Pizza in East Patchogue, Pompeii Pizza in Rocky Point, Dalisa Pizza in Deer Park and Lakeland Pizza in Bohemia), and some stinkers (Ragtime Pizza in Brookhaven, My Pizza - a defunct pizza parlor in East Patchogue)

• Total Posts : 335
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Sun, 09/12/04 2:31 PM
I'll say Chicago, hands down. Then again, I have been to Chicagoland more than the East Coast.

For those who have commented on Twin Cities pizza, I have had one experience. In May 2003 while at the Days Inn with a shuttle bus to the Mall of America I ordered pizza from a place whose name escapes me. It wasn't very good. I would have ordered from Old Chicago Pizza and Pasta (a chain, at that--go to http://www.oldchicago.com), but they did not deliver (at least at the time) to said Days Inn.

I had Old Chicago three months later in Columbia, Missouri, and it was delicious and overwhelmingly better than my previous favorite, East of Chicago Pizza Company.

Michael Stern
  • Total Posts : 1020
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Sun, 09/12/04 4:33 PM
This subject (my favorite) gives me the opportunity to re-post the chart created by the Roadfood.com team when we compared and contrasted Modern, Pepe's, Sally's, and the Spot in New Haven one day (with a short break in between for hamburgers at Louis Lunch):

steaklover
  • Total Posts : 85
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Sun, 09/12/04 6:09 PM
My vote is New Haven.

After years of hearing about how great Frank Pepe's Pizza is, I decided to drive the 20 miles to find out for myself.

There was a long wait, but the counter people were polite and since I was getting a pie to go, (pepperoni), I could explore the neighborhood.

I liked the old fashioned atmosphere, especially the open kitchen with that great old pizza oven.

When I got my pizza to the car, I couldn't wait, so I dug right in.

I was dissapointed to find that the pie was just about burnt, (not just well-done), and the pepperoni slices were the size of nickels and there were very few. One slice didn't have any.

It was tasty because of the sauce and it had an oiliness that I like.

Above average, but not worth the wait, higher price and legendary status.

I'd go again if I were in the neighborhood, but I wouldn't make a special trip.

In the northeast, where there's a pizza parlor on almost every corner, it's easy to find a better pie. Bridgeport has an assortment of good places.

Grampy
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Sun, 09/12/04 10:09 PM
Thanks, Michael. That's the chart I was trying to find -- priceless!

n4mtees
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Mon, 09/13/04 4:23 AM
hey spudnuts,
when I was a kid, growing up in Tulsa, OK, I sold spudnuts door to door on Saturday mornings. I was 8 years old and it was my first job, hated it, but always loved the name, spudnuts.

On Buffalo: I lived there for a year while a girlfriend was in med school. I worked at the zoo, best job ever. But, I don't remember anything about great pizza. I remember wings, (of course) burritos, and Ted's Hot Dogs, best hot dogs anywhere.

On Boston: Santarpio's is the best. Take the road to Logan airport and get off just before the tolls. A great neighborhood bar, excellent pizza and burgers.
In the North End, Regina's, of course, but also, they have a sheet pizza available in most of the bakeries. I don't know who makes it, but in all the bakeries it's the same. It's not exactly the best pizza, but there's something very appealing about it all the same, especially late at night or when you're really hungry driving back with a van full of twist rolls from the forgotten name bakery (see below).
Also, if you like "French Sticks" ( known as a baguette, or french bread to most of you) try Parziale's, it's just around the corner from Bova's.
The best "Twist Rolls came from a place (my memory fails me on the name, family owned, and two women ran the front) on Salem street that's no longer open, too bad. You can get them at Bova's, but they're are a pale imitation.

peppertree
  • Total Posts : 301
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Mon, 09/13/04 8:56 PM
I imagine that Naples, Italy would have great pizza. From my travels across the US, I have found that NYC is the center of great pizza. As you travel across the Hudson River, pizza deteriorates by about 40% and 60% once the Delaware River is crossed.

Long Island and upstate are good but not as good as the City. I have not experienced Pizza in New Haven yet, but I know good spots in Boston.

chezkatie
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Mon, 09/13/04 9:06 PM
I am drooling over that chart. Baltimore is the pits for pizza.......have not found a decent one yet. In central New York, we were lucky enough to have quite a few acceptable pies but none to be found around this area.

tbelk
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Mon, 09/13/04 9:21 PM
My cup(or slice,as it were)runneth over! I had hoped to cook up a lively debate, and although my fair city has ended up with sauce splattered all over it's collective shirt, still I stand by my assertion that we rule the pizza world-still, until George W. is re-elected,and free debate is suspended around the country,let the pizza debate rage on!!!I wish I could eat my way through all the great regions of the U.S. to be a fairer judge, but until then eat on !!!
-by the, Mr. Hoffman, Cole's is still alive and well in the Buff,
although I haven't been there in years.

berndog
  • Total Posts : 674
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Mon, 09/13/04 10:59 PM
Picky, picky, picky.

Can't we just agree that the Northeastern US from New York to Connecticut and Massachusetts has the best pizza in the world?

wanderingjew
  • Total Posts : 7382
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Tue, 09/14/04 5:53 PM
I think it's kinda funny, but back when I was living in Seattle, I was talking with some coworkers after passing up a free pizza lunch, explaining how great the pizza in NY was, when one of my coworkers replied quite innocently "pizza is pizza" I then looked her square in the eye and replied just as innocently "coffee is coffee" the gasps of shock and amazement heard throughout the break room. How can one compare Maxwell House to "Seattle's Best"??!! I think they got the point afterwards!

Michael Hoffman
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Tue, 09/14/04 6:35 PM
quote:
Originally posted by tbelk

My cup(or slice,as it were)runneth over! I had hoped to cook up a lively debate, and although my fair city has ended up with sauce splattered all over it's collective shirt, still I stand by my assertion that we rule the pizza world-still, until George W. is re-elected,and free debate is suspended around the country,let the pizza debate rage on!!!I wish I could eat my way through all the great regions of the U.S. to be a fairer judge, but until then eat on !!!
-by the, Mr. Hoffman, Cole's is still alive and well in the Buff,
although I haven't been there in years.

Thank you for the information about Cole's. I haven't been there since the early 1960s when I was visiting Buffalo to see a girl I was dating. I spent many pleasant evenings there.

CheeseWit
  • Total Posts : 1393
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Tue, 09/14/04 7:08 PM
I really think the best region for pizza in the U.S. is CT, NY, NJ, and Northeastern PA (think Old Forge, PA)and Southeastern PA (Phila. area).
South of the Phila. area the pizza quality starts to drop off.

tbelk
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Tue, 09/14/04 7:34 PM
Mr.Hoffman-

Glad to hear you spent some quality time in our fair city-we take too much abuse, unfairly,from many sources and it's good to know you enjoyed your stay. Should you return some day you've got to try our present day pizza, or any of the other food in our many, many fine restaurants!

Kent Daniels
  • Total Posts : 38
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Tue, 09/14/04 11:21 PM
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

I think it's kinda funny, but back when I was living in Seattle, I was talking with some coworkers after passing up a free pizza lunch, explaining how great the pizza in NY was, when one of my coworkers replied quite innocently "pizza is pizza" I then looked her square in the eye and replied just as innocently "coffee is coffee" the gasps of shock and amazement heard throughout the break room. How can one compare Maxwell House to "Seattle's Best"??!! I think they got the point afterwards!

See, I'd say something similar, and to me, coffee is coffee. I'm not saying that the BEST pizza isn't in New Haven, or New York, or Chicago, but the pizza's pretty darned good in Wichita, too -- Il Vicino, Bartelli's, Knolla's, Torre's -- we don't just eat Pizza Hut and Papa John's here.

michaelgemmell
  • Total Posts : 673
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Thu, 09/16/04 6:11 PM
Someone said he didn't think there's good pizza in Northern California. I suggest you try the Greco-Romana Pizza Caffe on Clement a few doors west of 25th Avenue in SF. Thin, light crust, baked with just some tomato sauce before the toppings, hence no layer of raw bread dough that gives a lot of folks indigestion. They pull it back out of the oven, add the toppings, then put back in the oven. No burnt toppings! Great Greek specialties as well...

Michael Hoffman
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Thu, 09/16/04 8:06 PM
quote:
Originally posted by tbelk

Mr.Hoffman-

Glad to hear you spent some quality time in our fair city-we take too much abuse, unfairly,from many sources and it's good to know you enjoyed your stay. Should you return some day you've got to try our present day pizza, or any of the other food in our many, many fine restaurants!

I always enjoyed my visits to Buffalo, including not only Cole's, but also the Latin Casino. I think most of the abuse you folks receive has to do with the snow and cold. As it happens, I'm a snow and cold fan. Anytime the temperature gets to 40 degrees, I consider it a heat wave.

danimal15
  • Total Posts : 1092
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Mon, 09/20/04 10:58 AM
I think of myself as a Renaissance man when it comes to pizza, because I can appreciate deep dish or stuffed Chicago style or the crispy, charred New Haven/New York style. It depends on my mood. I grew up very much a "Chicago is best" type of pizza eater, but in my adulthood have discovered the joys of northeastern style as well. Some of my best recent vacation experiences have been eating at classic pizza joints in New Haven and Brooklyn. But I still love a stuffed spinach from Piero's, my neighborhood pizza place in Highland Park, Ill., or a deep dish from Lou Malnati's. The original Uno in Chicago used to be my all-time favorite, but its quality was lacking the last time I was there (July 2003) and I need to return and check it out again.

Hillbilly
  • Total Posts : 992
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Mon, 09/20/04 1:22 PM
We went to New Haven yesterday only to find both "Pepe's" and "Sally's" closed for vacation. The line at "The Spot" was long, so we made our first visit to "Modern"--AND we were glad that the others had been closed. The nearly burned ultra thin crust was perfect for our old favorite pepperoni pizza. It was much better than Grimaldi's, Patsy's, John's, Ray's or any other New York pizza we have tried. And they delivered what we ordered, without overwhelming the taste with massive amounts of garlic (like some others in Connecticut) or sprigs of basil like some in New York.

I still like Hideaway in Oklahoma, Zaffiro's in Milwaukee, Campisi's in Dallas, the Open Kitchen in Charlotte, Fleur Di Lis in Baton Rouge and various Chicago deep-dish joints, but my wife and I agree that "Modern" has moved to the top of our list. Maybe it is just because Modern is the most recent.

i95
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Mon, 09/20/04 1:33 PM
Sadly, it's not the Washington-metropolitan area.

Edwaste
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Mon, 09/20/04 2:01 PM
quote:
Originally posted by steaklover

My vote is New Haven.

After years of hearing about how great Frank Pepe's Pizza is, I decided to drive the 20 miles to find out for myself.

There was a long wait, but the counter people were polite and since I was getting a pie to go, (pepperoni), I could explore the neighborhood.

I liked the old fashioned atmosphere, especially the open kitchen with that great old pizza oven.

When I got my pizza to the car, I couldn't wait, so I dug right in.

I was dissapointed to find that the pie was just about burnt, (not just well-done), and the pepperoni slices were the size of nickels and there were very few. One slice didn't have any.

It was tasty because of the sauce and it had an oiliness that I like.

Above average, but not worth the wait, higher price and legendary status.

I'd go again if I were in the neighborhood, but I wouldn't make a special trip.

In the northeast, where there's a pizza parlor on almost every corner, it's easy to find a better pie. Bridgeport has an assortment of good places.

Did you quote me and left out my credit?

Anyway, I've lived in Bridgeport for over 33 years, and tried every good Bpt. pizza joint over that time. Sadly, my Bridgeport favorites have either closed down, or downgraded their recipies. (cheaper ingredients?)

The high-temp brick oven pies of New Haven with their quality ingredients can't be beat!

Michael Hoffman
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Mon, 09/20/04 2:30 PM
Did I ever mention Jerry's in Bridgeport?

steaklover
  • Total Posts : 85
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Mon, 09/20/04 7:18 PM
Michael,
Are you thinking of Jerry's on Pequonnock Street? It's long gone, but I remember going to pick up pizza with my father when I was a kid. They had a metal caraffe of olive oil on the window sill that separated the kitchen from the dining room. When the pie was passed through, the counterperson drizzled oil on it before boxing. They also had that great sign outside that advertised "tomato pies". I'd like to find out when they closed.

Anyway, Bridgeport still has Famous Pizza on South Park Avenue, Pizza Time and Julian's within a block of each other on Madison Avenue, (Julian's is definitely different, some people don't like it at all, I think it's pretty good. Try a slice). Beverly Pizza on Fairfield Avenue, Brick Oven Pizza on Capital Avenue and Mario the Baker on North Main. There are a couple more whose names escape me at the moment, but good pizza is available. Oh, don't forget La Familia in downtown Bpt. Nice thin crust.

I guess what disappointed me the most about Pepe's was the bargain basement pepperoni which they skimped on.

Edwaste
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Mon, 09/20/04 7:18 PM
Yup, I remember Jerry's tomato pies. I also remember Denito's, Napoli, Beverly, Mario the Baker, Salerno's, Famous, Jennie's, etc.

I will admit, the best sausage pie I ever had was at Lorenzo's in Sandy Hook. (See the Stern review) The Sausage seemed very, very, fresh and tasty.
Unfortuntely they aren't open year round.

Sorry about your bad experience at Pepe's. I hope success and fame haven't spoiled them.
It's been a few years since I've been to Pepe's and Sally's. I'm a Modern and Papa's lover.

Michael Hoffman
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Mon, 09/20/04 7:40 PM
quote:
Originally posted by steaklover

Michael,
Are you thinking of Jerry's on Pequonnock Street? It's long gone, but I remember going to pick up pizza with my father when I was a kid. They had a metal caraffe of olive oil on the window sill that separated the kitchen from the dining room. When the pie was passed through, the counterperson drizzled oil on it before boxing. They also had that great sign outside that advertised "tomato pies". I'd like to find out when they closed.

Anyway, Bridgeport still has Famous Pizza on South Park Avenue, Pizza Time and Julian's within a block of each other on Madison Avenue, (Julian's is definitely different, some people don't like it at all, I think it's pretty good. Try a slice). Beverly Pizza on Fairfield Avenue, Brick Oven Pizza on Capital Avenue and Mario the Baker on North Main. There are a couple more whose names escape me at the moment, but good pizza is available. Oh, don't forget La Familia in downtown Bpt. Nice thin crust.

I guess what disappointed me the most about Pepe's was the bargain basement pepperoni which they skimped on.

That's the Jerry's I meant. My soon-to-be bride used to take me there. I'm from New Haven and she was from West Taft Avenue in Bridgeport. Jerry's is where I first had a pie with scamorze (skuh-MOTES).

By the way, when I was growing up in New Haven pepperoni was for sandwiches and antipast -- never on apizza. Come to think of it, when I was growing up we always ordered our pies plain, meaning sauce and parmesan. Who could afford mozzarella or sausage.? Why a small plain was only 40-cents, while a pie with mozzarella cost 60-cents, and if you wanted sausage it was 80-cents. Of course a small was 14-inches, medium was 16-inches and large was 18-inches. About once a year we'd splurge and go for a clam pie at Pepe's

jevmass
  • Total Posts : 34
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Wed, 09/22/04 8:06 PM
Here is the consensus from Phantomgourmet.com for the Boston area as far as best pizza goes:

Italy has authentic ingredients, Chicago has deep dish, and New York has crispy crust, but Boston's pizzerias have a style all their own. Phantom salutes great pizzerias.

The Best: Cheese Pizza

Pizzeria Regina
11 ½ Thacher St.
Boston, MA 02113
(617) 227-0765
www.pizzeriaregina.com

Pizzeria Regina is THE North End destination to get awesome thin crust Neapolitan pizza cooked in a piping hot, 103-year-old brick oven. A special blend of high butterfat cheese results in fabulous pools of oil. Phantom is particularly fond of the quatro formaggio, blending whole milk mozzarella, silky ricotta, salty Pecorino Romano, and nutty Parmesan with an oil and garlic presence. Marinara colored floor tiles, wooden booths, and mustard colored walls blend right into the old school atmosphere. There are several other locations, but none compare to the original.

The Best: Sicilian Style

Galleria Umberto
289 Hanover St.
Boston, MA 02113
(617) 227-5709

Galleria Umberto is hit hard during its lunch-only service for fantastic Sicilian fare like calzones and deep fried rice balls stuffed with peas and gravy. Rectangular slices of pizza come in cheese only with a thick, chewy crust. The price is right, with every item costing less than $4, and tiny Dixie cups of table wine are perfect for wetting the whistle. The inevitable line of customers forms early before the hot, fresh fare sells out.

The Best: Thin Crust

Figs
67 Main St.
Charlestown, MA 02129
(617) 242-2229
www.toddenglish.com

The Figs chain is Todd English's interpretation of a bistro-style pizzeria. Servers in jeans and T-shirts deliver Italian entrees, but thin crust pizza is the signature item. Propped on an upside down cookie sheet, the spectacular free-form pies are crispy with bold flavored toppings. Phantom loves every savory bite of the mozzarella bianco, piled with caramelized sweet onions, fresh tomatoes, and arugula, drizzled with balsamic vinegar. Their area locations include Charlestown, Beacon Hill, and Wellesley.

The Best: By the Slice

The Upper Crust
20 Charles St.
Boston, MA 02114
(617) 723-9600
www.theuppercrustpizzeria.com

The Upper Crust turns out fantastic thin crust pizza in wildly imaginative combinations. The communal dining table and counter service make this pizzeria perfect for grabbing a slice, and the metal wave ceiling gives the space a hip industrial atmosphere. Phantom digs the vegetarian MGH pie with broccoli, spinach, and feta and the Beacon Hill pizza topped with sundried tomatoes and eggplant. There’s a second location in Coolidge Corner, Brookline.

The Best: Old School Pizza Pies

Santarpio's Pizza
111 Chelsea St.
Boston, MA 02128
(617) 567-9871

Santarpio’s is a dingy, grimy pizza shop with gruff, feisty waiters. The dive bar atmosphere gains character from autographed boxing pictures and ripped vinyl benches around Formica tables. But Phantom goes for the area’s best, most classic pies of perfectly balanced chewy crispness, plus purely traditional toppings like pepperoni, mushrooms, and onions. The only appetizer on the menu includes barbecued lamb and sausage served with cherry peppers and rustic Italian bread.

The Best: White Clam Pizza

Frank Pepe Pizzeria
157 Wooster Street
New Haven, CT 06511
(203) 865-5762

One of the oldest pizzerias in New England, Frank Pepe’s is on Wooster Street, in the heart of Connecticut's "Little Italy". Coal-fired the old-fashioned way in a brick oven, the Neapolitan-style pizza is excellent with no-nonsense, no-frills toppings. While all of the extra crispy, thin crust pizzas are worthy of praise, the white clam has legendary status. The clean bivalves add a breath of briny sea freshness to the piping hot disc.

The Best: Bar Pie

Cape Cod Cafe
979 Main St.
Brockton, MA 02301
(508) 583-9420

A lively South Shore dinner spot, Cape Cod Cafe is known for its pizza - not the outdated atmosphere. The focus is on 40 versions of their awesome bar pie, adorned with a thick padding of mozzarella and ingredients extended to the edge. The thin, barely there crust gets a zippy boost from saucer sized discs of pepperoni. Phantom also enjoys the wonderfully unique potato and roasted red pepper pizza with slices of silky starch under browned bubbles of cheese.

The Best: Late Night Pizza

Antonio's Pizza
31 North Pleasant St.
Amherst, MA 01002
(413) 253-0808

Antonio’s Pizza is a late night favorite for UMass students in search of a hot, cheesy Sicilian slice. Until 2 AM on the weekends, college kids mob the lengthy counter in the narrow pizza shop, ogling the 20 pies on display. Antonio’s has 2 to 3 hundred kinds of pizza, and about 50 of exotic varieties are available each day. Outrageous creations include black bean and avocado, lasagna, chicken blue cheese, and even tortellini.

Perhaps others can add local reviews...

Jamie in Massachusetts

wheregreggeats.com
  • Total Posts : 4530
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Sat, 09/25/04 9:23 AM
quote:
Originally posted by santacruz

Don't discount Joe's Pizza in Northampton, MA or Bimonte's in Hamden, CT

PrisonerOfHope
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. - Sun, 11/7/04 6:36 PM
Hi - I lived in NYC most of my life, then on LI for a while, Hawaii for five years, and now Tennessee; I've also traveled quite a bit. I have to agree, NYC pizza is THE BEST! I'm longing for some Ray's Pizza - both the regular with pepperoni, and Sicilian; I'd usually have a slice of each.

I'm with DerangedMetsFan - Les' Pizza in Patchogue was quite good; probably the best in the area. (My late husband just about LIVED on pizza, so I got to eat at most pizzarias in the area.)

The best pizza I had while living in Hawaii was at Costco - so that should tell you something about the quality of pizza there.

The pizza I remember most fondly was at Woolworth's in Herald Square, across the street from Macy's. A cardboardy crust and rubbery cheese; I could put away three slices easy! It was the sort of thing that was so bad it was good, but to judge it fairly you couldn't compare it to pizza any more than you could compare a White Castle burger to a "real" hamburger. It may share the name, but it's in a class of its own. There also used to be a place on E. 53rd and Lexington, which I think of as "Fotomat Pizza." I don't know if it had a "real" name, but the space was shared with a Fotomat, and the sign over the storefront simply read "Fotomat/Pizza." I remember the rubbery cheese - slices of mozzarella were put on the pies, not shredded. Oh gosh, it was good!

I haven't had a GREAT piece of pizza since I left NY; if anyone knows of a decent place in Chattanooga, I'd love to hear about it. The Domino's here is AWFUL, I had a slice at a place in Warehouse Row's Food Court where the crust was half baked, and I've been to TJ's NY Pizza next to the new Walmart (the best of the lot); none has come anywhere near either a "real" pizza or one of the above-named "pizzas that aren't really pizza."

Looks like I'll have to go back to making my own!

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 60 of 140