Soup weather coming up

RubyRose
  • Total Posts : 2187
  • Reward points : 0
Soup weather coming up - Wed, 09/15/04 9:53 AM
As soon as the first leaf drops off a tree in fall, I’m ready for some heartier soups. Soups and stews are my favorite things to cook and we devour a couple of gallons per week since teen daughter’s friends have discovered it as a major food group. I was surprised how few had ever tasted homemade soup so we had “soup class” last night and here’s the one they made. When the weather starts to turn cooler, what soups do you get a craving for?

SHORTCUT HEARTY BEAN SOUP

1/ 4 lb. cooked ham, in one piece
2 medium-size celery stalks
2 medium-size carrots, peeled
1 medium-size onion, peeled
1 medium size yellow squash (about 8 oz.)
1 (40 oz.) can cooked Great Northern beans
1 Tbs. olive oil
1/ 2 tsp. dried basil leaves
1/ 4 tsp. pepper
1 (14 to 16 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (14 oz.) can chicken broth
1 cup fresh spinach, packed, stems removed, and chopped
2 cups water
Grated Parmesan cheese

Cut ham into 1/2 inch cubes, dice celery, thinly slice carrots, chop onion, and dice squash. Drain and rinse beans. Remove 1 ½ cups of beans to medium bowl and mash into a smooth paste with a fork or potato masher. In large pot, cook ham, celery, carrots, onion, and squash in oil over medium heat until vegetables are tender and begin to brown, about 15 minutes. Stir in basil, pepper, tomatoes, chicken broth, spinach, bean paste, and water. Over high heat, heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 15 minutes to blend flavors. Stir in remaining beans; heat through. Add salt to taste. Sprinkle each serving with Parmesan cheese if desired.

Note: Ham can come from the deli section and spinach from the salad bar at the grocery store.

emsmom
  • Total Posts : 955
RE: Soup weather coming up - Wed, 09/15/04 10:17 AM
Soup is a favorite at our house. I always make vegetable soup-enough to eat for several days and then some to freeze. We also like oyster stew, potato soup, chicken enchilada soup and we love french onion soup-I've never made it at home though-we always get it when we eat out. I like to make split pea soup with a ham bone or cook navy pea beans with a ham bone. Gosh, this makes me want to go home and make some soup.

IansMom
  • Total Posts : 394
RE: Soup weather coming up - Wed, 09/15/04 11:03 AM
Hey Ballpark..
L'shanah tovah .. may you and yours have a healthy, happy new year...

Ian's mom.. itching to get out of work so she can get everything done that she needs to..OY VEY

Kristi S.
  • Total Posts : 712
RE: Soup weather coming up - Wed, 09/15/04 11:37 AM
Today is clam chowder day for me. It's blustery and cloudy outside, and by all appearances looks like a good soup day, even though it's 80 something degrees out.

Tommy2dogs
  • Total Posts : 348
RE: Soup weather coming up - Fri, 09/17/04 7:52 PM

Originally posted by RubyRose

As soon as the first leaf drops off a tree in fall, I’m ready for some heartier soups. Soups and stews are my favorite things to cook and we devour a couple of gallons per week since teen daughter’s friends have discovered it as a major food group. I was surprised how few had ever tasted homemade soup so we had “soup class” last night and here’s the one they made. When the weather starts to turn cooler, what soups do you get a craving for?

This post brought a tear to my eye as I am a transplanted Chicagoan in exile in Texas where leaves falling, turtleneck sweaters and crisp clean air are things we may get in late December. But on the first day of (Bear)football season I don't go out into the 90 degree weather but close all the blinds turn down the air and cook up a pot of my favorite split Pea with Ham soup.

linus
  • Total Posts : 252
RE: Soup weather coming up - Sat, 09/18/04 10:31 PM
well,not homemade, but i follow a tip I read from a former Cleveland football player who heated up Campbells bean with baconsoup,and added sauted slices of really good hot dogs or keilbasa, and chopped onion. so good. my favorite homemade soup is stewed tomato,with chopped onion, cabbage, carrot,zuchini,as much as you like, with pepper, garlic, and a tad of brown sugar. very versatile, you can add any meat you wish, or leave it just veggie. you can serve it with croutons, cheese, whatever. i love this because it's so flexible.if it gets too thick, add some water or stock. nice to make if you have leftover veggies. if your careful what you put into it, it can be really healthy, and still delicious.

Pwingsx
  • Total Posts : 2170
RE: Soup weather coming up - Mon, 09/20/04 4:35 PM
It's supposed to be a high of 48 degrees on the eastern slope of the Rockies here in Colorado tomorrow (it's currently 84 degrees). With rain. Guess it's the equinoctial storm.

So it's take to break out the crockpot, and make a big pot of ham and beans and cornbread. Doesn't that sound cozy???

Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2413
RE: Soup weather coming up - Mon, 09/20/04 5:20 PM
Vegetable beef with hot crusty rolls smothered in butter. It's a cool 71 here...close enough. Potato would be next with lots of crackers, then cabbage beef soup. Oops can't forget chili. Those will be my first 4.

Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2413
RE: Soup weather coming up - Mon, 09/20/04 5:25 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Pwingsx

It's supposed to be a high of 48 degrees on the eastern slope of the Rockies here in Colorado tomorrow (it's currently 84 degrees). With rain. Guess it's the equinoctial storm.

So it's take to break out the crockpot, and make a big pot of ham and beans and cornbread. Doesn't that sound cozy???

Your post reminded me of a guy I know that made a crock of pintos with ham hocks. Once the beans were just done he turned the pot on high, made dumplin's and dropped them in, while those cooked the cornbread was put in the oven. Talk about cozy?!?! I thought about starch overload but it was delicious. Beans are delicious about any way you fix them. Next time you crank up your smoker to do a ham or butt, put some great northerns(or bean of your choice)chopped onion, little S&P, in the water pan, fill with water just to the top, set your meat on the top rack put the lid on and let them marry!

emsmom
RE: Soup weather coming up - Tue, 09/21/04 10:06 AM
I use any excuse that I can to make soup. Our low this morning was 49 and it is only supposed to be up around 70 today. I love this time of year, but I make soup all year round. We are going to the Southern Womens Show this weekend and there are always vendors there that sell the mixes for special soups-like Cowboy soup, chicken enchilada, baked potato and all other kinds. I usually get some of those to use in addition to all of the homemade soups that I like to do.

kland01s
  • Total Posts : 2835
RE: Soup weather coming up - Tue, 09/21/04 2:39 PM
Sorry Tommy2, it is NOT soup weather today in Chicagoland as it is 82 right now. This past weekend I went to a few farm stands near Ottawa Illinois and loaded up on squash, peppers,pumpkins apples and some late berries but I am not turning the air on just to cook them, they can wait.

Karen in far suburban Chicagoland where it's too hot and dry.

Goose
  • Total Posts : 81
RE: Soup weather coming up - Tue, 09/21/04 3:15 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Ballpark Roadtripper

For me, soup season starts TODAY: the celebration of the first night of Rosh Hashanah (the Jewish New Year). In my house, that's always meant Matzoh Ball Soup (along with enough other food to choke a rhino).

DAMN my house smells great right now!!!

Matzo ball soup for the Rosh? Isn't that like eating latkes at any time other the Chanukah?

Kreplach is what we had. Although for the Yom I'm making spatzle for the soup.

I do agree with the smell factor, though. Nothing like the smell combo of chicken soup and brisket.

zataar
  • Total Posts : 1440
RE: Soup weather coming up - Tue, 09/21/04 3:29 PM
My husband made the best pumpkin - sweet potato puree this weekend. Pumpkins are just appearing at the farmers markets where we live, so it was very fresh and flavorful. He put middle eastern spices in it. Topped it with feta and walnuts. It was great.
He's a very good cook.

emsmom
RE: Soup weather coming up - Tue, 09/21/04 4:08 PM
Speaking of pumpkin, we went to a roadside stand Saturday where we always buy our pumpkins, and they had pumpkin fudge. It was rather good.

zataar
RE: Soup weather coming up - Tue, 09/21/04 6:27 PM
Pumpkin fudge sounds interesting. Sort of like the carrot fudge of India.
Mr. Z. also makes a great potato soup with caramelized onions and sherry that is good, and a really hearty cassoulet type soup with beans, chicken and sausage. I'm so glad that tomorrow is the first day of autumn!

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6230
RE: Soup weather coming up - Wed, 09/22/04 3:03 AM
Here in Alaska we're quickly approaching winter, with snow on the mountains which will soon cover the ground here as high temps are in the mid 40's and lows in the low 30's. For the weekend, I'm thinking of an Italian lentil soup, followed by a cream of cauliflower, followed by Southwestern beef and black bean, followed by potato leek............on and on! SOUP ROCKS!!! Best food on the planet after a day spent outside skiing or snowmachining!

EdSails
  • Total Posts : 3576
RE: Soup weather coming up - Wed, 09/22/04 5:48 PM
This weekend I went to Mammoth Lakes, CA. The next morning I awoke to an unseasonable, unexpected snowfall. My friend had made a big pot of homemade chicken soup the night before, with chunks of cauliflower, celery, onions and other goodies. To "beat the cold" he added a big shot of chardonnay before he served the soup for lunch. The snow and the soup made me ready for winter. Bring on the soups!

emsmom
RE: Soup weather coming up - Thu, 09/23/04 9:13 AM
This soup forum whets my appetite for soup so for lunch yesterday, I had baked potato soup with grated cheese, chives and bacon on top.
I am trying to think of what kind I want for today.

carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Soup weather coming up - Mon, 10/4/04 9:37 AM
I made a big pot of bean soup over the weekend. Fall & winter for me are big seasons for soup. I made a chicken noodle the weekend previous. I'm hoping to make a beef barley soon.

carl reitz

tiki
  • Total Posts : 4135
RE: Soup weather coming up - Mon, 10/4/04 9:52 AM
quote:
Originally posted by zataar

My husband made the best pumpkin - sweet potato puree this weekend. Pumpkins are just appearing at the farmers markets where we live, so it was very fresh and flavorful. He put middle eastern spices in it. Topped it with feta and walnuts. It was great.
He's a very good cook.

Got a "formal" recipe for this that your willing to sharePretty Please! Sounds really good---but roasted steamed which middle eastern spicesbaked with/without walnuts and feta

tiki
RE: Soup weather coming up - Mon, 10/4/04 11:46 AM
i like this alot!
Cream of Apple and Turnip soup

4 cups chicken broth
1 pound butternut squash, corsely chopped
2 tart apples, peeled and chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 small yellow turnip(about 4 oz), chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
pinch dried rosemary
2 egg yolks
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons sherry

Combine broth.apples squash,onions,turnip,and seasonings in 4 qt saucepan and bring to a boil.Reduce heat,cover and simmer untill vegies are soft--about 45 mins

2. Allow to cool slightly and puree

3. whisk egg yolks and cream together

4. gradually add a cup of soup to egg/cream mix--whisking constantly--and add to remaining soup--add sherry and reheat bit not to a boil---serve
cant remember where i got the recipe--but its good!

lleechef
RE: Soup weather coming up - Mon, 10/4/04 12:00 PM
Just about the time you think you've seen it all in the restaurant biz......working on an in-flight catering job last week, I had to make beef barley soup........barley on the side. What's up with that

tiki
RE: Soup weather coming up - Mon, 10/4/04 12:34 PM
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

Just about the time you think you've seen it all in the restaurant biz......working on an in-flight catering job last week, I had to make beef barley soup........barley on the side. What's up with that

why hire a really good caterer and then tell them how to cook Sounds like clients with wayyyy to little trust in the professionals they do business with. Like telling a cabbie how to get to Logan!--not always a good idea!

downtown
  • Total Posts : 68
RE: Soup weather coming up - Tue, 10/5/04 5:43 PM
I love soups. and it's really cold here today. I am new here and just tickled to death to have stumbled across all this. ya'll have me absolutely STARVING!! I am so happy!

ladybugplus
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Soup weather coming up - Sat, 10/30/04 1:34 AM
Hi I once had a veggie soup mix I used to add to my vegetable soup that gave it a really good tasting broth but I cannot find it anywhere. Sadly I even forgot the mae of it. I do remember it was in the produce section of supermarket (not in soup section) Anywho it gave my veggie soup that really traditional broth taste you get in camplells vegt soup. I never could make it on my own but the mix I had did the trick. I hope someone can pick up on what I mean and share their secret to getting this taste. I wasted a whole day yesterday in making mine w/o the mix and it tasted terrible had to throw it all out. Please I love homemade vegtable soup All tips, recipes etc please share TIA Laura

carlton pierre
RE: Soup weather coming up - Tue, 12/14/04 7:42 AM
Gonna be real cold here in Knoxville next few days. I made some meat last night for a beef stew but didn't have potatoes so thought I'd fix that today. Instead I took the meat and made a beef barley vegetable soup last night. Making beef stew today.
There's just something about cold weather that makes me want to make soup.

tiki
RE: Soup weather coming up - Tue, 12/14/04 8:13 AM
quote:
Originally posted by carlton pierre

Gonna be real cold here in Knoxville next few days. I made some meat last night for a beef stew but didn't have potatoes so thought I'd fix that today. Instead I took the meat and made a beef barley vegetable soup last night. Making beef stew today.

Must be something in the air!! Im making a beef stew today myself--should be the perfect evening to eat it---supposed to get down to 20 degees tonite---i know it did last night!!! Yep---its DEFINATELY SOUP WEATHER!!

mr chips
  • Total Posts : 4715
RE: Soup weather coming up - Fri, 12/17/04 8:59 PM
I like pozsole. Have had many different types in different retaurants but like the posole at Esparza's in Porland, Oregon the best

lleechef
RE: Soup weather coming up - Sat, 12/18/04 1:14 AM
quote:
Originally posted by tiki

quote:

Must be something in the air!! Im making a beef stew today myself--should be the perfect evening to eat it---supposed to get down to 20 degees tonite---i know it did last night!!! Yep---its DEFINATELY SOUP WEATHER!!

20 degrees? We in Alaska wear SHORTS and T-SHIRTS in that balmy weather!! And pull the grill out!
It's been pretty cold and snowy here, so the meals for the week consisted of a huge pot roast, batch of halibut chowder and split pea and ham soup. If that doesn't fill your gullet, nothing will! Soup ROCKS!!

carlton pierre
RE: Soup weather coming up - Sat, 12/18/04 1:27 AM
It gets down to 10 here tomorrow night. As a rule that's about as cold as it gets here though there are exceptions. Weatherman mentioned the snow word for Sunday so I'm sure there will be a general state of panic. But, here or Alaska, that's soup weather, man. Your eats sounded pretty tasty, lleechef.

zataar
RE: Soup weather coming up - Sat, 12/18/04 5:49 PM
We are having udon noodle soup with dashi broth and vegetables and shiitake mushrooms tonight. It's very easy to make because we buy a kit from our favorite Japanese - Korean Market. It's nearly as good as homemade. Several nights ago we had split pea with smoked ham shank. Soup is good.

tiki
RE: Soup weather coming up - Sat, 12/18/04 8:33 PM
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

quote:
Originally posted by tiki

quote:

20 degrees? We in Alaska wear SHORTS and T-SHIRTS in that balmy weather!! And pull the grill out!
It's been pretty cold and snowy here, so the meals for the week consisted of a huge pot roast, batch of halibut chowder and split pea and ham soup. If that doesn't fill your gullet, nothing will! Soup ROCKS!!

My brother is a seasons tickets holder for the Patriots---they all get together for the last home game of the yr and wear hawaiian shirts and shorts---they have something in commen with you Alaskans that wear shorts in 20 degree weather---YOUR BOTH NUTS!!!!!

Tony Bad
  • Total Posts : 5114
RE: Soup weather coming up - Sat, 12/18/04 9:17 PM
One winter, about 20 years ago (makes me feel old saying things like...about 20 years ago) I rented a house with a bunch of friends near a ski resort in upstate NY. The best part of that whole winter was my dinner at the Last Chance Cheese shop in Tannersville. Great soups with great warm breads and cheese. I haven't been back there in a long time, but can still taste their soups!

http://www.lastchanceonline.com/customer/home.php

carlton pierre
RE: Soup weather coming up - Mon, 12/20/04 5:45 PM
Tony, think you'reold now; wait til you start relating things that happened 30 and 40 years ago.