maple leaf dogs

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Dale R
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: maple leaf dogs 2006/09/06 21:21:10 (permalink)
One other thing. The Northern New England franks are usually fried,they can be steamed but fried is preferred. Jordans and Maple Leaf fry to a nice crispy reddish brown. When I mail ordered Usingers and purchased Thumann's in N.J. this summer when on vacation I noticed that they don't fry well, sort of get brown but not dark. They are much better steamed or dropped in hot water for several minutes, not boiled!
Maybe John Fox aka Hot Dog King (well deserved title if you ask me) can elaborate. I think it's because Northern New England Franks are cooked in boiling hot water to fully cook them at the plant whereas Thumanns and Usinger hot smoke their franks to fully cook them and this might not make them amenable to frying???

Dale R
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: maple leaf dogs 2006/09/07 02:19:09 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ashphalt

Roosy,

Curousier and curiouser. I saw Maple Leaf Franks in the deli case at Stop and Shop in Norwood (oddly enough, the Foxborough store where I usually shop doesn't have them). They had a bulk pack out. They're beef and pork with a lamb casing. Distributor is Maple Leaf Meat Products, Chelsea, MA 02150.

But I couldn't find a phone listing for them on Verizon Superpages.

WHAT?
Tyson supposedly bought the company out and they discontinued them.
I WANT SOME!
I gotta call my buddy the caterer in Marlborough and ask him again!
I used to get them in the 10 pound bags. they are linked dogs, and snap like crazy when you bite them!
Oh happy happy joy joy....
This cant be a joke.. It isnt April Fools day.
What I would give for some!
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: maple leaf dogs 2006/09/07 02:20:51 (permalink)

This is the link where I posted what I found about the Leafs being discontinued.
Hmmm.......
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9900&SearchTerms=maple,leaf

Will you please keep me informed if you find anything out as to where I can get them?
Thanks so much..

A photo of them in the deli case will tide me over..
pant pant.......
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: maple leaf dogs 2006/09/08 13:47:48 (permalink)
Ashphalt,
Can you email me?
Thanks,
Tara
roossy90@aol.com
Ashphalt
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1644
RE: maple leaf dogs 2006/09/10 09:26:41 (permalink)
Tara, did you get my email?
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: maple leaf dogs 2006/09/11 02:38:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ashphalt

Tara, did you get my email?

Yep, thanks..
Look for my reply..
Thanks so very much!
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: maple leaf dogs 2006/09/16 14:22:37 (permalink)
Here is my dream dog!
Thanks to Ashphalt and his hard work tracking down these beauties.
I am so excited, and cant wait to get that first "snap" that has eluded me for 3 years!
I notice that they are next to the Boars Head Natural Casing.. Those are what I have been eating lately since I havent been able to get the Maple Leaf's....
Close, but no cigar!

MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5475
RE: maple leaf dogs 2006/09/17 00:41:56 (permalink)
I buy MapleLeaf (Kirkland Signature(Costco)) brand thick cut bacon as my favorite bacon except for the times I can find a thick cut applewood smoked bacon. If I could find the dogs I'd surely try them.

MikeS.
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: maple leaf dogs 2006/09/18 03:14:59 (permalink)
LOL.. I had a hard time finding them.
Now you have the photo, courtesty of Ashphalt.
That is the packaging.
I think they are totally a New England product.
Not in Florida, nor in Maine. (at least not last winter..)
Dont know what the full connection is.
I am so confused now about the link between the Canadian company and the regional company, and the email I got from the canadian company.
I just dont know.
Ashphalt is my hero!
Looking for these frankfurters for 3 years now!
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: maple leaf dogs 2006/09/18 05:38:39 (permalink)
Thats not the same barker! Maple Leaf in the Boston area ceased to exist a long time ago. I belive they were produced by NEPCO {New England Packing Co.} they were not an all beef hot dog, loaded with fillers. They tasted alright but the competition had a much better product. Chow Jim
jagee2
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: maple leaf dogs 2006/09/19 00:24:01 (permalink)
Hi, I'm new here, obviously, by doing a search for Hot dogs. Not just any hot day, mind you. I guess it would be called a "frank" maybe. Oh how I dream of having a Maple Leaf all beef frank with the snap. Yum. We used to boil them and didnt' even need the bun. I loved them.

I lived in Boston and my father found them at a market in Codman Square. I left a long long time ago, and was back to visit and I couldn't find them again. My father was dead at that time too.

I would like to get some again. Or some that are very similiar. The have to be all beef, in casing and together? Or at least taste like them with that snap. Roossy you described them just how I remembered them. Not too many people eat them in my neighborhood that I knew of anyway. And I don't think you could get them everyplace. I did a search a while ago and found the company in Canada, but thought that wasn't the same. I gave up, and here I am again.

Did anyone find them? Or something similar? Do they ship? I'm in Cincinnati now, and they don't have ANYthing like them. Meaning the casings and all.

Jeanne
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: maple leaf dogs 2006/09/22 15:19:49 (permalink)
THANKS ASHPHALT!
I got them a few minutes ago, and am in the process of devouring one right now!
Happy Happy Joy Joy..
I sure do appreciate you and your wife getting these to me!
Now, thats what Roadfood friendship is all about!
Thanks so much again...
BTW.. there was still ice in the water bottle!
Ashphalt
RE: maple leaf dogs 2006/09/22 18:06:31 (permalink)
So happy they make you happy, Roossy.

I tried a couple last week. I think they have a slight garlic aroma, but not a strong garlic taste. Nice balance of beef and pork (and I'm really not big on all beef). Not as porky or "German" tasting as the R.I. Saugy but with a definite snap to the skin. They seemed familiar to me, I'm sure I've had them before. Definitely a New England style dog. I'll buy them again!

For those on the sidelines, the folks at the deli counter of the Stop and Shop in Norwood, MA (Rte. 1) told me these are a local product that they offer to the stores, but only certain stores carry them. The store a few miles away in Foxborough doesn't carry them, and has stopped carrying Saugys, which these folks told me is also offered. Interested locals might want to ask their Stop and Shop deli for Maple Leafs. I also spotted them at Roche Bros. in Millis.

Addendum: For any tailgaters who might come in for a Patriots game and who want to toast Roossy, the Norwood S&S is roughly 5 miles north of Gillette Stadium.
oldbiker10
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: maple leaf dogs 2006/09/30 14:48:08 (permalink)
Someone is making the Maple Leaf cased hot dogs. I recentely purhased them at a small butcher shop here in Dunnellon, Florida. Unfortunataly the store only had 5 cases of the hot dogs and they sold out in less then 2 days. The store reordered them but it has been 8 weeks so far and they havent receaved there order. The owner of the store told me that the hot dogs were backordered? I am still wating to get my hands on these hot dogs. There the closest thing I have found that takes me back to the 50s and 60s when you could get a good hot dog. I am hopeing that some of the "Big Boys" find out about the Maple Leafs and start looking for those old recepies.

Remember when cased hot dogs were the main hot dog in the store and "Franks" and skinless were hard to find ????
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: maple leaf dogs 2006/09/30 17:39:10 (permalink)
Clarification, please. Have the elusive Maple Leafs been indeed found? Why did it take so long? Where are the Maple Leafs under discussion made? Ontario? And, is there more than one Maple Leaf brand, and is that what has caused all the confusion?
P.S.---Were they great?
The Bear
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: maple leaf dogs 2006/09/30 23:18:24 (permalink)
NO.. they are not the Canadian company, as you can see from their mail to me on the previous page...
I dont know how they re-surfaced, but Ashphalt saw them in a Massachusetts grocery store near where I used to live in Mass.
I think the "Maple-Leaf" name has confused many people. The canadian company makes a hot dog.. These were called frankfurters....
I also was confused at the beginning until I saw the packaging and knew it wasnt my elusive frank/dog/whatever you want to call them.
But I got them, thanks to Ashphalt!
Apparently, Maple Leaf in Canada thought they were another company, or the recipe was bought out..
I dunno and dont care anymore. I now have a source.....
But it is still confusing.
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: maple leaf dogs 2006/09/30 23:19:38 (permalink)
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9900&SearchTerms=maple,leaf
Go figure....
bigdog540
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 101
RE: maple leaf dogs 2006/10/13 14:00:40 (permalink)
I found the elusive Maple Leafs at Goretti's Supermarket, Millbury MA. Loose pack available at the deli counter for $3.59/lb. I spoke with the guy behind the counter and he told me they are being produced by Kayem in Chelsea MA using the original recipe from the old Maple Leaf Co. originally in Somerville MA. He told me they are also available in 1 lb. packages in the pre-pack section next to the Oscar Mayer and other run of the mill dogs.

He told me until recently the name was owned by Russer, a producer out of NY. But they were not distributing under that name and their rights expired. Kayem bought up the rights to the name and had the original recipe.

I don't know how much of this is true, but he seemed to know his stuff. I can tell you that the Federal Inspection Number on both the Kayem Hot Dogs and the Maple Leafs that were in the pre-pack section was the same number. That means they were made in the same plant.

I bought a pound, seven franks was just over one pound. They were great. Good snap, mild beef/pork dog. Not unlike the Kayem Old Tyme, a little less spice. I'll buy them again.
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: maple leaf dogs 2006/10/13 14:05:19 (permalink)
They WERE made by Russer..
Read my original post...

That guy knows his stuff..
Thanks for the great information..
Glad you liked them.
I like Kayem Reds.. Not naturals....
bigdog540
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 101
RE: maple leaf dogs 2006/10/13 14:09:36 (permalink)
I've only seen the Reds in Maine and NH. Don't see any in MA. I like the reds too, but most times I serve them people think there's something wrong with them and won't eat them. So I stick to the regular NC's for cook-outs.
pattileather
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: maple leaf dogs 2006/10/14 13:38:53 (permalink)
Hey guys, the owner of Maple Leaf Hotdogs Steve Davidowitz is a good friend of mine. He resides in Salem MA & New Hampshire, and I think he does infact have a few accounts in Maine. I even think he sometimes makes the deliveries himself, so you can even meet him!
His e-mail is HOTDOG1269@aol.com
pattileather
Junior Burger
RE: maple leaf dogs 2006/10/14 13:42:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by roossy90

Hello, new to the roadfood forum. I am moving to Maine next month and am wondering does anyone know where to get Maple Leaf Hot dogs.. I see on the web site, something called top dogs.. and I dont think they are the same thing. I used to live in Marlboro, MA, and used to get them in 10 pound bags from a catering company that I used to work for..but I have been living in FLA and now in Colorado, but moving to Maine in a month.. Yeah.. I do get around...
If anyone knows of a supermarket, or store, can ya slide it to me?
Thanks...
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: maple leaf dogs 2006/10/14 13:56:39 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by pattileather

quote:
Originally posted by roossy90

Hello, new to the roadfood forum. I am moving to Maine next month and am wondering does anyone know where to get Maple Leaf Hot dogs.. I see on the web site, something called top dogs.. and I dont think they are the same thing. I used to live in Marlboro, MA, and used to get them in 10 pound bags from a catering company that I used to work for..but I have been living in FLA and now in Colorado, but moving to Maine in a month.. Yeah.. I do get around...
If anyone knows of a supermarket, or store, can ya slide it to me?
Thanks...

I posted that a year ago..
Been to Maine and gone..

Now in South Carolina, but I got a great friend here on RF, named Ashphalt, that found me some Maple Leaf Franks and sent them to me a month ago.
I def will email your Maple leaf man....
Thanks.. I can always use more outlets..... I sure appreciate it!
I got your email, and emailed ya back...
Tara
pattileather
Junior Burger
RE: maple leaf dogs 2006/10/14 13:59:55 (permalink)
Maple Leaf HotDogs

I know the original owner's son, Steven Davidowitz who still sells Maple Leaf HotDogs to this day. He resides in Salem, MA & New Hampshire. I believe he has a few accounts in Maine and even personally sometimes makes the hot dog deliveries himself. His e-mail address is HOTDOG1269@aol.com and I'm sure he'll be glad to help you.
pattileather
Junior Burger
RE: maple leaf dogs 2006/10/14 14:31:06 (permalink)
The owner of maple leaf is going to south carolina i think in november. He drives down and brings his maple leafs to all his golf buddies. (nothing like a maple leaf hot dog with the casing)
Anyway, maybe you can get together and get your maple leaf hotdogs first hand. e-mail him!
(never did a forum before, hope I'm responding to the right person)
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: maple leaf dogs 2006/10/14 17:12:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by pattileather

The owner of maple leaf is going to south carolina i think in november. He drives down and brings his maple leafs to all his golf buddies. (nothing like a maple leaf hot dog with the casing)
Anyway, maybe you can get together and get your maple leaf hotdogs first hand. e-mail him!
(never did a forum before, hope I'm responding to the right person)

Yes you are.. Check your email... I replied back to you there also....
Love the snap!
oldbiker10
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: maple leaf dogs 2006/10/20 02:50:57 (permalink)
anyone know where I can mail order these elusive hotdogs ?
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: maple leaf dogs 2006/10/20 14:05:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by oldbiker10

anyone know where I can mail order these elusive hotdogs ?

As far as I know, they are not available on line.
They just recently came back on the market....
I have waited 3 years before a friend on RF got me some, and paid dearly for them.
Good luck...
I am counting on Pattileathers friend to bring me some more when he comes down here to golf!
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: maple leaf dogs 2006/10/20 14:07:16 (permalink)
Patti..
Still waiting for Steve to email me back.......
Ashphalt
RE: maple leaf dogs 2006/10/20 14:08:34 (permalink)
Pattileather - you should let your friend know that Roosy is one of his product's best advertisers. Just look how long this thread has been going on!
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1