The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

maple leaf dogs

Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 61 to 87 of 87
roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
RE: maple leaf dogs Sat, 10/21/06 2:37 PM (permalink)
Aw shucks...
(just give me some franks as payment)

oldbiker10

• Total Posts: 5
    RE: maple leaf dogs Sat, 10/21/06 11:22 PM (permalink)
    Has anyone frozen the hot dogs and if so how were they after freezing? I have a vacume sealer it works good with a lot of other meats and I was just woundering if they tasted the same after freezing.
    I'm still wating for the local butcher shop to get his order it has been 4 months so far.
    I have sent a E-Mail to hotdog never got any reply

roossy90

RE: maple leaf dogs Sun, 10/22/06 12:53 PM (permalink)
      I had some that were in the freezer for about 6 months, and they were still fine. It was a sad day when I ate the last one.
      That was after I moved back to Fla, after leaving MA...
      I didnt want to eat them all the time, because I knew I couldnt get them in Florida.
      I took my chances, and they weren't even vacuumed sealed: Just in a large freezer bag... I bet they would be even better if they were vacuumed sealed.

oldbiker10

RE: maple leaf dogs Sun, 10/22/06 11:42 PM (permalink)
        Thanks Roossy90 I was at the butcher shop last week they said there shipment will be there Monday. The owner also told me everyone that comes to the store asks for them. So I plan to "stock up" LOL

roossy90

RE: maple leaf dogs Wed, 10/25/06 8:52 PM (permalink)
          Must be a lot of Mass transplants in your area.

Being Florida born and bred, it wasnt until I lived in New England that I discovered there were others besides the basic ones you find in the grocery stores there (Fla).
          I have to admit, New England has THE BEST selection!

oldbiker10

RE: maple leaf dogs Wed, 10/25/06 11:42 PM (permalink)
            Well my hot dogs FINALLY came in. I bought 5 lbs and vacume sealed what is enough for me and my wife(She liked them better also). I guess I'll find out how they taste after freezing.
            It took the owner of the store 4 months to get them.Now where are those old hot dog recepies LOL.

roossy90

RE: maple leaf dogs Fri, 10/27/06 8:10 PM (permalink)
              I am jealous. I only have a few left, and am hoping that the maple leaf man comes thru when he comes down here to golf!

DAWNK

• Total Posts: 1
                RE: maple leaf dogs Fri, 11/3/06 7:40 PM (permalink)
                HI I JUST WANTED TO LET EVERYONE KNOW THAT MAPLE LEAF HOT DOGS
                ARE IN CARL'S MEAT MARKET , KITTERY , MAINE

roossy90

RE: maple leaf dogs Fri, 03/30/07 12:32 AM (permalink)
                  I just want to thank RF member, Pattileather for hooking her buddy, the Maple Leaf Man, Steve and his family biz.. up with me, and for handing me a case of Maple Leafs Franks to me at my work on Wednesday!
                  I guess I am truely set with them for awhile.
                  Thanks again, Patti!
                  And looking forward to meeting YOU in October, according to Steve.
                  Nothing like Roadfood people, I must say!
                  So twice in a week, I have got some items that I really enjoy from just conversing with RF members!

ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1503
                    RE: maple leaf dogs Sat, 03/31/07 8:42 AM (permalink)
                    Are these storied dogs pork/beef, or all beef? Natural casing or not? And what size are they? Finally, although I've followed the saga of these elusive franks, I'm still not sure why it is so difficult to get them. Is there a region where they are readily available? Thanks.
                    The Bear

roossy90

RE: maple leaf dogs Sun, 04/1/07 3:00 PM (permalink)
                      They are natural casing and pork and beef. Slight garlic taste to them.
                      I guess they are a regional item in New England.
                      I couldnt get them In Maine, when I was there, but they are in the markets in Mass....
                      They have that snap to them when you bite them.

Delta

• Total Posts: 233
                        RE: maple leaf dogs Sun, 04/1/07 11:59 PM (permalink)
                        I remember when Maple leaf was in business. I was a kid and lived in Somerville, and it was near the Mcgrath Obrien Hwy. Loved their dogs, but heard about two years ago, that they closed down and don't make them anymore. Maybe the Maple Leaf from Canada is a different brand, but i know I cant find the original Maple Leaf around, so now its Kayem for me..

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
                          RE: maple leaf dogs Mon, 04/2/07 6:00 AM (permalink)
                          It has been many,many years since Maple Leafs have been produced or packed in Boston. They wern't that good to start with.
                          There are a couple of locally produced barkers that are good though. Pearl Brand or Old Neighborhood and certainly Kayem.
                          Morrison and Shiff has recently started producing hot dogs again after a ten year or better absence, though they have limited distribution at this time. It's a kosher dog and at this time they are being sold in a few kosher delis and markets in the area. Chow Jim

badnews

RE: maple leaf dogs Tue, 05/15/07 11:26 PM (permalink)
                            Hi:
                            I have beed reading the posts on Maple Leaf hot dogs and my mouth is watering. I grew up in Hudson, Mass and while on summer vacation from high school and college(Northeastern University, Go Huskies) use to work at the local IGA in the deli section. Needless to say my family grew to love Maple Leaf franks along with Fenway Franks. Where can I get the true Maple Leaf franks? I am desperate! I have been living in Nevada since 1979 and just retired with 29 years in law enforcement. Any information would be apreciated via e-mail at chaves7@mac.com

Frank

roossy90

RE: maple leaf dogs Wed, 05/16/07 4:41 PM (permalink)
                              Card given to me when I had 10 pounds of Maple Leafs hand delivered to me back in April..
                              Maple Leaf Meat Products
                              Stephen Davidowicz, Jr.
                              PO BOX 3761
                              Peabody, MA 01960
                              978-740-9790 Phone
                              978-745-7379 FAX

Hope this helps you get some....

Rick51NH

• Total Posts: 29
                                RE: maple leaf dogs Mon, 06/18/07 5:43 PM (permalink)
                                I found Maple Leaf Hot Dogs in Market Basket in Nasua, NH in the deli section. They will sell you up to a 5 lb pack. The package says Maple Leaf Meat Products, Chelsea, Mass.

Paschalboy

• Total Posts: 2
                                  RE: maple leaf dogs Wed, 05/7/08 11:17 PM (permalink)
                                  Found this forum after searching for "Maple Leaf Franks', again like most, I'm a local who grew up on them, but am now having a hard time locating them. I wrote to Stop & Shop headwquarters and managed to get a couple of boxes into a supermarket here in Roxbury, but then was told they aren't selling. Heck I would buy 5 lbs each trip!

In reading the three pages of notes, am I safe in saying they are NOT available? Not even on line? I thought you could anything on line! One of the writers mentioned the "snap" of this brand and it brought me right back to my young years, when my Dad would get 10 lb boxes! That and the beans from a bakery!

Thanks for any leads.

John Fox

• Total Posts: 2313
                                    RE: maple leaf dogs Thu, 05/8/08 6:28 AM (permalink)
                                    They must be available somewhere. The New England Hot Dog Co. serves them here in N.J. I would guess they are served at the franchises in New England. I would check their website and find a location near you. Maybe the manager or someone can put you in touch with their distributor.

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5360
                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                      RE: maple leaf dogs Fri, 05/9/08 1:20 AM (permalink)
                                      I love it when a 3 year old thread is brought back to life.

roossy90

RE: maple leaf dogs Sun, 05/11/08 5:00 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by MikeS.

I love it when a 3 year old thread is brought back to life.

It wasnt ME!..
                                        But if someone had scrolled up about 5 posts, they would have seen all this information as to where to get them.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Posted - 05/16/2007 : 16:41:03
                                        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Card given to me when I had 10 pounds of Maple Leafs hand delivered to me back in April..
                                        Maple Leaf Meat Products
                                        Stephen Davidowicz, Jr.
                                        PO BOX 3761
                                        Peabody, MA 01960
                                        978-740-9790 Phone
                                        978-745-7379 FAX

Paschalboy

RE: maple leaf dogs Sun, 05/11/08 5:05 PM (permalink)
                                          That was me, I guess I missed it, thanks for the address.

roossy90

RE: maple leaf dogs Sun, 05/11/08 5:39 PM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by Paschalboy

That was me, I guess I missed it, thanks for the address.

NP... Hope they can help you....
                                            Steve is a real nice guy... tell him Tara said hello!

golfguyy

RE: maple leaf dogs Mon, 01/19/09 10:17 AM (permalink)
                                              Maple Leaf Dogs RULE - Steve is THE best guy you could meet. That # above is correct  978-740-9790

I like to slice them in 3 or 4 places, or make 3 "X"s  then toss them on the grill, that gets the heat inside and just gives them a great taste! I too see them in Shaws, Hannafords, Market Basket here in and around the Nashua NH area... Mass too.  Regards, Golf

roossy90

RE: maple leaf dogs Mon, 02/2/09 9:27 PM (permalink)
                                                golfguyy

Maple Leaf Dogs RULE - Steve is THE best guy you could meet. That # above is correct  978-740-9790

I like to slice them in 3 or 4 places, or make 3 "X"s  then toss them on the grill, that gets the heat inside and just gives them a great taste! I too see them in Shaws, Hannafords, Market Basket here in and around the Nashua NH area... Mass too.  Regards, Golf

Steve is pretty cool... He would have to be to hand deliver me some Maple Leafs from Mass while I was living in Myrtle Beach!..
                                                Of course, him on vacation golfing wouldnt be a coincidence now, would it?
                                                <message edited by roossy90 on Mon, 02/2/09 9:28 PM>

Jane from Maine

RE: maple leaf dogs Thu, 02/12/09 12:33 AM (permalink)
                                                  Ran across this site while searching for Maple Leaf hot dogs. I grew up on the North Shore of Mass and they were the only dogs we ever ate. I moved to Maine but lived on the NH border so I was able to get them through Market Basket (they ordered them from their Mass stores as they didn't carry them on a regular basis in NH). Now I'm living in SE Illinois and the stores here only sell those mushy, no skin, prepackaged hot dogs. I too have lugged many a 10 lb bag of frozen Maple Leaf's on the plane with me (much to the delight of the TSA). I recently came back with a bag of Shield's hot dogs (a good substitute for ML), 5 lbs of steak tips and 8 lbs of old fashioned pastrami. My shoulder is killing me from the weight. What we do for food!

graham072442

RE: maple leaf dogs Sat, 03/6/10 10:35 PM (permalink)
                                                      I live in Lynn, MA.  I like the Maple Leaf franks because they have a relatively low sodium content when compared to other brands - something very important to me - and I love their taste.  The linked Maple Leaf franks are available at the deli counter in the local Shaw's Supermarket.  I prefer the 1 lb. packages however since I live alone.  I have been able to find them at only one location:  Ernie's Harvest Time on Boston Street in Lynn.  At this point, the price has increased to more than $4.50 per lb.  I remember buying them as recently as three years ago for $1.99.  Wish I could find some coupons for them.  :0) 

L A Graham
                                                    <message edited by graham072442 on Sat, 03/6/10 10:37 PM>

David_NYC

• Total Posts: 2162
                                                      RE: maple leaf dogs Sun, 03/7/10 3:44 AM (permalink)
                                                      Welcome, graham072442!

Yes, about two years ago I noticed a run-up on prices on all the premium brands of frankfurters from makers such as Sabrett, Nathan's, Pearl and Kayem. Even Nathan's one pound skinless franks go for about $4.50 in food markets around here. The only advantage we have is that Nathan's are often discounted down to $2.49-$2.99 a pound.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                        Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 61 to 87 of 87

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                        • No New Messages
                                                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                        • Read Message
                                                        • Post New Thread
                                                        • Reply to message
                                                        • Post New Poll
                                                        • Submit Vote
                                                        • Post reward post
                                                        • Delete my own posts
                                                        • Delete my own threads
                                                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com